Tuesday 1st January 2019 - The whole world's broke and it ain't worth fixing

Morning.

Lyrics - The whole world's broke and it ain't worth fixing

I hope that 2019 is kind to everyone.

Good news on the new job RFJ. I hope you'll be happy in it.

Great to start building the miles again emzap and a fast 5k sounds like a good target.

How are the studies going Ollie?

What:               short and easy/maybe gym
Why:                taper/if Mark wants to
Last hard:        deciding what to do taper wise
Last rest:         27/11

Yesterday's lyrics - I Gotta Move - The Kinks.
If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Morning
    What: something gentle
    Why: my legs are sore from yesterday
    Last hard: bits of yesterday!
    Lyrics: nope

Happy new year all and I hope people have a good one :)
  • Morning! And HNY!

Lyrics: no

What: parkrun

Why: it's there, but how quickly I run won't be decided until after the first km. It certainly won't be flat out! Last run in the age group, also.

Hope to bump into OL!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Happy New Year to all, hope you are all feeling tickety-boo this morning!

Sorry I’ve been AWOL the last 3 to 4 weeks, been meaning to get back on board all this week. Had a lot of events on in December involved with organising school Christmas fair, swimming club, netball (all my daughters activities funnily enough), All sorts went on, house renovations, left one of my jobs quite suddenly (for good reasons, had to be done) working out notice whilst taking on new work, routine was completely different on a morning when would normally log in, broke my toe at taekwondo (still running on it), got some new work in as self-employed and was meeting deadlines everyday right up to Christmas Eve, basically my whole day routine for the last three weeks has been all over the place. Hoping for some normality now (after today’s hangover). Has been all good busy, rather be busy than ‘bored’.

Have been managing to get runs in though at the same frequency 2days on, one day off (around 7/7.5/8 miles) but some have been at really odd times, some of them 9 o’clock at night, which is odd for me considering I’m mainly lunchtime or morning runner, it has been like opportunity knocks when to get out.

Will read back later on today and get back on it.

What: Well… After copious amounts of drink last night, it will be a gentle low-mile plod at 10am. Then down to the beach mid-day to see the New Year dippers in fancy dress do their race in to the freezing North Sea.

Why: A run can be like Alka-Seltzer today. Want a good long run tomorrow.

Lyrics: Hmmm… familiar, but let’s not break tradition as it’s a no.

Right, off to start building the Anderson shelter in the garden ready for what 2019 brings.

• Afternoon!

Good to see you Benjy...and glad you are busy!

What: parkrun plus a few ks to warm up/down

Why: it was there! Run in company. Very pleased: 22:54, the fastest for 18 months and actually nearly a minute faster than anything in 2018. Set off a little harder than usual going through the first k in 4:45 ish, then gradually increasing the pace as I got going. Achilles and calf were fine, for once. Think I could go a little faster at present but not going to try! After all it is a run not a race! Still in two tops, one of which was long sleeved. 165th of 655 finishers, so a lot of traffic today!
    Good to see OL afterwards! A good start to the new year!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    Well done Alehouse, great running.

Happy New Year everyone.

Perth parkrun for me, took it easier and felt good in 19:33.  Fastest ever last 400m so lots to spare.  Wife did 27:42, smashing her target.  Then we headed to Franky and Bennys for a big breakfast.  Great way to start the year.

Lyrics. Nope.  
  • Well done the DonsNot sure that a big breakfast fits with the weight loss aim though!!
  • Good to see you Benjy - it all sounds pretty positive if quite hectic.

Great running Alehouse - what a way to start the year, really pleased for you.

Nice parkrunning Donaldo and Mrs D too.

Hope the something gentle eased your legs emzap.

It turned out to be a lovely morning for running so I ended up with a MLR. Lunch now then off to the gym.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Happy New Year all.

Good to see you, Benjy. You've been one busy boy.

Well done parkrunners, especially Mrs. Donaldo smashing her target :+1:

Em: not sure Dinner for One went down too well :D. Germans only watch it when they're plastered and then think they get British humour ;) Nice long run yesterday.

Jealous of your good running weather, LMH. Storm alert here and it's raining cats and dogs. Glad I nipped out earlier for 5 miles whilst the sun was out and gusts only 40 mph. Very nearly canned it but then I've always been running on New Year's Day and didn't want to break the tradition.

Now firmly planted on the sofa and won't be moving until I go to bed later.
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Happy New Year

What: No parkrunning here, I have learned to avoid the festive madness but a lovely 7 miles on Cannock Chase for me today. May ride later.
    Why: another day in another year
    Last hard: yesterday 
    Last rest: 31st October 
    Lyrics: no
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Happy new year all,

Parkrun double here, Melksham first in 23:45 then folloqwed that up at Chippenham with Mrs RFJ in 28:28, so a nice start to the year. No leg issues either which I was happy with

Well done Dons and Ale on your parkruns

Back to normality tomorrow and the commute back to Cardiff....

Take care all
  • An Other HalfAn Other Half ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    7 windy miles done (up local hill)
    January's Polar Bear Challenge #1 completed.
    It's a new month and a new year
    Found my Garmin (lost in festive hurlburly)  :D 
    Last hard: this morning 
    lyrics: no

Say hi to OL from me, AH, and well done on parkrun
    Nice parkruns from RFJ and the Dons.
    No fancy dress for us Benjy; were you not tempted to join them?  ;)
    Love your take on Germans and British humour, Chicksta

Quiet house here now.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Evening all and happy new year!
    Benjy - busy close to the year!
    RFJ - good luck in the new post!
    well done to all for getting out over the end of year lunacy!

for me - Sunday was xc league. 5 miles in mud and puddles then ran the 7.5 miles home (daft idea)
    Monday was club’s 4x2km relays for all ages. Struggled to get going really so a slowish 8:05 for 2k (usually run 7:20-7:30)

Today I did this week’s lsr- 15 miles of trail. County XC champs this weekend. 
    Work tomorrow...