Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Happy New Year folks.. hope you’ve enjoyed the first day in 2019..

i ran the SVN New Year’s Day marathon in Dymchurch..unfortunately the scenery wasn’t much to marvel at although the sunrise over the channel was pretty.

The race was along long the sea wall so 3 x flat out and back 8.7ish mile laps with the aid station in the middle.. About 2 miles of the out lap was pretty tough as the sea had dumped loads of sand and pebbles along the wall which made running pretty tough. Once we got past the pebbles we had the wind at our backs for a few miles and then we turned around and ran into the wind . I started off in second place and got to half way in 1:30ish and was trying to catch the guy in first but he was too strong for me.. I started to slow a bit at 17 miles and when I realised the next guy was only a few min behind me I picked up the pace over the final few miles to finish in 3:07:55 The order of the runners at the end of the first lap was how it stayed but the guy in first finished in 2:54:xx. Top runner..

• Well done Iain! Lovely bit of bling that, and a great time!

• New year, new shoes so I unboxed the bright orange Epics and took them for a 10 mile spin. I felt pretty good considering the double parkrun yesterday - averaged 10:22 pace and no miles were slower than 10:32. I wanted to make sure I wasn't going too fast so I talked to myself a bit to make sure. Obviously not when I was near any pedestrians. I might be mad, but I don't need them to know that. :D
    Achilles was a bit grouchy for the last few miles but it's had a hard couple of days. It's definitely been worse.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Ian - good achievable goals for you including DD.  :) 

Robert - likewise for you and lots of varied goals to aim for too.

Cal - we have lots of buzzards round here.  In fact if I'm doing a long run it would be unusual for me not to see one.   What was special was getting so close yesterday as they are big, about 2 foot tall.   

Great that you've teamed up with another runner to travel to parkruns as must be a logistical nightmare sometimes.

You've been really strong willed not testing out those new shoes sooner :D

steven - hope your sergeant lets you have time off for Strathearn, it looks a lovely race and so convenient for you.  Good 2019 goals for you.

Big G - that's a good target time for Malta/Berlin.

Good luck with the plank challenge :D  

mamafox - you can always set any goals later on when you're injury free and closer to any planned races.

Re the school cook, she's pushing her luck hoping to eke out her sick leave until she can retire.   What's the retirement age in France?

Iain - that's a great start to the New Year, and although that's a flat course doesn't necessarily make for easy running in the wind and avoiding the sand/pebbles.   I expect some of it is concrete too and that can be hard on the feet.   Lovely photos.
    Your son is growing up fast, how old is he now? 

Rest day for me today.   Last night and this morning I was cursing myself for having booked my circuits class for today but it went well, but I feel so unfit and found it quite hard, but good. 

I haven't really set any specific time goals yet for 2019, will do so when I'm further into my training.   To make the cut offs at DD is a goal set in stone for me.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ha ha, I know what you mean about talking to yourself, Cal. :) It's a good strategy for an easy-paced run though - "run at the speed of talk".

Iain, great start to the New Year there.

MF, so frustrating for you with your injury :(  Be patient and I'm sure you'll get your PF under control.

Shades, a great goal for you at DD too.  Do you have any hilly marathons in mind in the build up to DD?  I'm looking around to find one, but struggling a bit.

I spent some time yesterday going through a plan of sorts to get me to Malta peaking at one week of 70-miles, which does include the marathon 2.5 weeks before Malta.  I was looking in a bit of detail at the training I did before Malta 2018 and the vast majority of it was really easy paced for me (i.e., 10min/miles, but fairly hilly).  I also ran a lot of consecutive days for me - 13 days in a row at one point - and also a sprinkling of double-days.  But I didn't follow any plan as such, as I just ran when I felt like it and took a rest day when I felt like it.  I did a couple of shorter races (a 5-miler and a hilly Half) and one marathon about 5 weeks before Malta, but my longest training run was only 15-miles, which looking back now I'm a bit surprised about - I was going to stick a 20-miler in the plan, but decided against it due to that.  There were a fair number of 10-mile runs.  Anyway, if I can replicate how I was feeling during that period, I'll be very happy.  The plan is there just for a guide really - if I can't do every single day, or conversely if I find I want to do more, it's no issue. 

I've also just done a gentle 3.5-miler just to get the legs turning over and I'm going to the club tonight so that will be around 8 for the day in total.

Day 2 of plank done, which was just 20secs again, so no problem....so far.  It ramps up quite quickly though.

Feeling pretty positive about things at the moment....let's hope that continues!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that sounds like a very good plan for you, building on what you did last year pre Malta. i.e. no long runs but increasing the weekly mileage including some doubles.

I've only got 2 races pre DD with any significant hills, Connemara Ultra (mid April) and Glendalough Lap of the Gap which is a marathon a week before DD. https://www.plotaroute.com/route/570015

I don't think there's a lot you can choose from at that time of year.  Windermere is a good option, as there's a Dartmooresque hill at 7 miles and in the latter stages some gradual climbs, overall though it's undulating rather than hilly there are quite a few similarities to DD as little ups and downs, lovely race too.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-Thats exactly how I pace my long runs,sometimes sing to myself when I'm away from people to check I'm at the right effort.
    Big G-Sounds like a good plan,I'm doing the opposite and adding more 20's in as I don't feel I've done enough previously,but I run less overall mileage than yourself so will get more benefit.
    Shades/Big G-Do you think 5 hours is a realistic target?
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, I suppose it's because I don't follow a conventional plan as such, so when I do a marathon and I'm not "racing" it, it's kind of like a long run for me.  I definitely think some more longer runs is what will help you with your marathon goal as I remember you saying last year that you felt your endurance wasn't quite there.  You have the speed, so working on the endurance side of things I think will help.

Yes, I'd say 5hrs is an achievable goal for you.  I have just looked at the DD results from 2017 (which was the 32-mile version of the course) and a couple of people I know who are sub-3:15 marathon runners went under 5hrs.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Cheers,I'm not going to be racing DD,I will treat it like my easy long runs and see how it goes.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Not done a MP effort for a long time so thought I'd give it a go today as it was very still.8 miles completed at exactly 3:10 pace then 2 easy to jog home,effort felt a little harder than I'd have liked but it was only 2 days since my 20 so to be expected really so overall pretty happy.
  • Big G, you've run Munich right? Someone in my club was asking about it.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, yeah, I've ran Munich.  If you have any questions, let me know.  Basically though, it's a PB course (it was my then PB) but the course itself wasn't fantastic - okay, but not brilliant.  There was a stadium finish though, which was great, and it was well organised, nice medal etc etc.  I don't think I'd necessarily rush back if I was going on my own, but if my club revisited I would consider going again.

Ian, well done on the MP effort.  They're tough to do on your own.

Shades, you've got me Googling Windermere now as I am currently free that weekend.  It's a long drive from here though, but there is affordable accommodation still available.  Not sure though - I'll have more of a think about it.  It's a shame there's not a hilly one more locally in the Spring.  
  • Thanks, that should be enough info for her.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I did the Trotters interval session tonight, which was 8x3mins, with reduced recovery (initial recovery was 90-secs).  It's a tough session as you know it's going to get harder as you go, with the reduced recovery.  It's hard to precisely say what distances I did, but min/mile splits were ok so I was happy with that - 6:39min/mile, 6:30, 6:15, 6:27, 6:36, 6:13, 6:21, 6:25ish. It ended up being 10 miles for the day as with warmup/cool down tonight’s session was 6.5 miles. 
  • mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Iain - You're a machine. Well done. Another great race from you... what a fab way to start the New Year! Lovely photos too.

Big G - Good luck on that plank challenge. I have worked my way up to 2min30 but I'm sure my form is far from perfect at times! I tried the 100 press up challenge once and it seemed to be a good progressive way to build up to it but I started falling apart once it really started ramping up as got disheartened at getting stuck on a certain level. However, it did start me off doing press ups and I now have them in my short exercise routine that I try and do every day.

Ian - The thought of doing MP miles during a run just brings me out in goosebumps. I'm only capable of squeezing out a few of those in the last couple of weeks before a marathon with a chunk of training behind me. Bodes really well for you.. well done!

Shades - I can't remember what happened to you with DD this year.. did you do it and make the cut offs or was it a DNS for you?
    Well done on getting through that circuits class.

I'm not even thinking about time goals this year. Hopefully I'll be able to make some mileage goals and there's a couple of events I'd really like to do.

The retirement age over here is at least 62.. but then it gets a bit complicated as it can depend on how much tax you've paid. It's one of the things everyone is jumping up and down over here about at the moment. I think the cook may appeal against the decision or maybe come back part time.. I don't know. I'll just keep going as the extra hours, proximity and school holidays are all major advantages but it's not a job I enjoy.

10k road on my own done yesterday but foot was really sore. I'm still going to try and do the same today as next week I'm back in work so it's going to be harder to fit running in again. Even if it makes things worse I'd prefer to take time off then rather than now when I've got the time to run!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - sub 5 for DD is a very achievable target time for you.  Of course as with any distance race particularly over Dartmoor weather could be a factor.   But at marathon point you shouldn't be any slower than MP + 1 minute per mile so 3:44 and then that gives you 1:15 for the last 10km to finish on 4:59.

That's a good MP run, especially after your hilly long run a couple of days ago.

Big G - it is a long drive to Windermere and although it's not that hilly a route it's challenging right to the end so in that way it's good DD prep.   Accommodation in that area is usually very pricey.   If you decide to go I found the best way was to leave at 4 a.m. on Saturday morning, it's light and roads are pretty clear for a fast trip up there, with a generous breakfast stop I would get to Brathay in time to see the 10 in 10 runners throw their crutches in the hedge and set out on Day 9 at 10 a.m.   Then straight to Hawkshead, 4/5 miles from the start and coffee and cake while waiting to see the runners coming through the village.  

I would drive back after the race, long drive after a marathon but leaving it until Monday would add a couple of hours to the journey time due to traffic.

But there are quite a few good races that are a fair drive away, Snowdonia, Langdale etc.

mamafox - well done to you on the press ups, that challenge certainly paid off for you.   I can't even do one press up properly. :'(    My circuits class is Gentle Circuits for +45's and I find that hard enough, I'm aching today.

I didn't make the start line of DD last year, I had a cold after North Dorset, just got over that and came down with tonsillitis, at my age!!!  It wiped me right out and I missed a load of races.

62 is quite generous for a retirement age.  I wish they based retirement age on contributions here.   I've paid contributions for over 40 years but can't claim my state pension until I'm 66.

You might be better running every other day to give the PF a chance to heal, I know you want to make the most of your holidays but making your foot sore won't help recovery,

7 miles for me today, bitterly cold but no ice so roads dry.  Hate the cold weather.  Saw the speed skater this morning, even he had leggings on today, before he's been in shorts.

Back to pilates this morning, my shoulders and triceps are really sore after circuits so hope it won't be too tough a class. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, those two you mentioned are on my list, along with Windemere.  I did look at Snowdonia but didn't book it last year although I can't remember why now.

MF, as a matter of interest, what else is in your daily exercise routine?

Beginning to have a bit of a think about Rotterdam, and I was going to travel over (probably driving over) on 29th March via Dover - i.e., Brexit day.  I don't want to get all political, but I wonder what will happen if there's no deal in terms of getting over to Europe, especially as there seems to be concerns about Dover and Brexit anyway?  I hope it all just runs as normal on that day of all days, and there are no extra delays etc.  I'm sure it will be fine :)  Maybe I'll just go over on 28th instead ;)  

A gentle 4-miler done this morning, and the 30-sec plank completed.  It's 45-secs tomorrow :(  I actually think I could probably do 2-mins or so, but 5-mins at the end of the month seems too much at the moment. 

Looking ahead to next week, it'll all be easy mileage except I'll try and get along to the Trotters Wednesday session, as it's one of my favourites - 6x1k with 90-secs recovery.

I've decided to just do the marathon this Sunday.  As I mentioned, when I previously entered it I had planned to run for 6hrs but I wouldn't want to do, say, 33-miles and then it knock my other training plans back due to tiredness.  The 6hr challenge can wait for another time, as I do think my current 33-mile 6hr PB is a bit weak.  On Sunday, if I can get around the marathon in 3:45-4hrs or so, I'll be happy enough with that.

City to Sea entries opened last night with an early bird offer, so I've entered that now.  Bearing in mind I don't love trails, it is one of my faves.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Mama-62 is a good age to retire,god knows what it will be when it's my time.
    Shades-think I was looking at around 3:50 for marathon point so not too far away.
    Big G-I'm debating doing Windermere but not sure yet as it's only 2 weeks before DD but it mightn't be too bad if I take it easy as I've recovered well from the 20.
    Legs feel really good and recovered today so will go for a run after work,starting to get my hopes up for GC now but need to get through the next 3 weeks.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Ian, I am very tempted with it, especially after seeing Shades' advice on getting there and back as I was thinking I may need 3 nights, but if I can do it with only one night that would be much better.  I've found a single room for an affordable price.  The only thing that is putting me off is that I'm sometimes stiff the day after a long drive, but if I'm there late morning I suppose a walk that afternoon would ease any aches I may have.  It is possible that I if I leave early I could get to a parkrun en route and tick off another location too.  I think for me 2 weeks before DD will be okay.  I don't know exactly how it compares to Cornish but I got around that in just under 4hrs and then did a then-PB (3:29) at the Nottingham lake 2 weeks after, so I think I'll be fine for DD.  I'm very tempted!  
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I think Snowdonia sells out really fast so you'll probably have to be poised ready to get a place.   Although part of it is trail, more now since the last time I ran it, it's an iconic race and a great weekend away.  I would run it again despite the trail part.

Re Brexit day, I'm driving to Wales that day.  :)  EU have already advised that there will be no change re flying for a while so I'd imagine travel on ferries/tunnel should be the same, there's a load of scaremongering about what might/might not happen, a lot of it is fake news.  Here's the info

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/passenger-travel-to-the-eu-by-air-rail-or-sea-after-brexit

I'd forgotten about you doing Rotterdam, that's another potential PB race for you to consider. 

Windermere is not as tough as the Cornish, elevation my be similar but it's an easier run and of course the weather is usually perfect at that time of year.

Ian - you'd recover well from Windermere, there aren't any steep downhills to trash your legs and give you more DOMS than usual.   When I did the 10 in 10 my mate Ray did a PB on Day 7, I think his previous PB had been at Berlin, so it can't be that tough a course.   

Here's the elevation for Windermere, I use this website it overstates elevation by about 15% (at least), probably by the same as Strava exaggerates too.  https://gb.mapometer.com/running/route_74700.html

Is your OH better now and also looking forward to GC?

Back to Pilates today and annoyingly the instructor brought out the big stability balls which I hate, said we'd only use them for 2 exercises but we ended up using them for the whole session.  She also said for the next 5 weeks until she goes on holiday we'll be using them every week.  So I've just cancelled my class for next week and booked the 9 a.m. which means another morning walking to the leisure centre with all the brats (school children), there are several schools in the area.  I will try and get in the oversubscribed class straight after circuits on a Wednesday if I can get a cancellation place.
    Very uncomfortable this morning putting on my deodorant after those circuit exercises yesterday, my armpits ache :'(  
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes I have Rotterdam as another potential target as it's a fast course.  The only thing with that one is that I may (it's not confirmed) do an event the weekend before, also in NL.  But if I'm running well, I am definitely planning to race Rotterdam.

I have booked Windermere - it looks a nice course and I know it's a well regarded event.  I've just booked the one night and I had a £45 Hotels.com voucher, so the room has cost me £15 which isn't bad.  It's a nice B&B that gets good reviews, about 4.5 miles from the race HQ so it should be okay I hope.  It's only a small single room with a shower, but it'll be fine for my purposes.  It's the same weekend as Exeter, so at least I don't have to consider doing that one as I know it's not a great course!

That's two booked in less than 24 hrs B)   The diary is filling up nicely.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Big G - that's good news re Windermere, I'm sure you'll enjoy it and that's a bargain re the accommodation.   If you're staying near Keswick there's a great fish and chip shop there.  If not plenty of good places to eat in the area.

I'm doing Worcester that weekend, that gets me out of considering Exeter too ;)
  • MF, I know how you mean not wanting/ being able to set goals until the injury is better.  This is also in the back of my mind too, one of the reasons I've not set myself a marathon PB as I don't believe can commit.  My foot is quite sore at the moment, just keep on stretching and it seems to help! Running every day is the most I can really do at the moment too.

Iain great way to start the year! Looks like a lovely sunset, we've been lucky upto now with the weather.

Cal, never tried talking to myself when running but it seems a clever idea! Well done on I'm assuming a fairly even paced run. Always nice to get the new shoes out.

Shades how strict are they on the cut off for DD? I've seen from results that a few come in bang on the finish time, do they have a tail walker for that effect?

Big G was quite excited at the stadium finish, thought it may have been Bayerns Ground (being a Chelsea fan we won the UCL in 2012 there) but checked and its the Olympic stadium.

Ian, have you any targets for GC?

Yesterday was a rest day and today managed to squeeze 4.3 steady miles.  The foot is quite sore at the moment just need to keep stretching as it does ease up.

Got two new pairs of shoes ready to unleash saucony guides and my roadhawks but holding back as want to run in them pain free. 

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Great news you have booked Windermere,I could well end up joining you,will need to look at work rotas tomorrow.
    Rob-I do have a target in mind for GC,it depends on the weather though,looking good racing weather at the minute though.
    Shades-Yes she's nearly recovered now,I think she will go really well.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Robert, they (I suppose, "we") are very strict.  They allow 10 or 15-seconds to cross the start line, but then apart from that, if you're over the cut offs, you're out.  The cut-offs are only up until the marathon point....once you get over the marathon point, you will get a finish time if you cross the finish line, but the timing stops at a certain time, hence why some get the same finish time.  For a couple of years, I was timekeeper at the marathon point (recording the runners and their times as they go through) so although not responsible for dragging people off the course, I did witness it and the people responsible for stopping the runners have been told by the RD to be strict.

Robert, yes I should have said - Olympic stadium.  There's a bit of history to the place and those Trotters that had done the 10k or had finished the marathon were all inside the stadium making a right racket as fellow runners came through.  A couple of them knew it was a PB for me, so it was a nice moment for me.
  • Got a 6 mile run in today my god it was cold I had so many layers on but I still prefer running in the cold to the heat.
    Looking at buying another pair of running shoes was thinking of switching from my brook ravenna 9 to Asics GT 2000 just can't decide.
  • Big G, must have been pretty special having club mates supporting you at the finish. 

Steven, felt a bit nippy on my run earlier too, it's going to get a lot colder for all of us soon I'm sure.  I'm a big fan of Brooks Adrenaline used them for about 4-5 years, decided to switch and try something else due to the cost really.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Robert, yeah it's a good memory actually.  I did a negative split for that one too for a PB, but the nature of how I ran it gave me the confidence that I could go quicker at another event.  I basically did about 9s until half way and then upped the efforts to about 8s for the rest, for a PB of 3:42.  Finishing feeling strong is a great feeling!

Steven, I can't comment on the Ravennas by I use GT 2000 a lot and will be wearing a pair of Ver 6s for the first time today.  They're high mileage shoes (I've got a pair of Ver 3s that I use for muddy parkruns that have done 700 miles), but I personally didn't get on with the Ver 5s, as the inside of the heal wore quite quickly.  I still got the mileage out of them but I was never totally happy with them.  I'm hoping the Ver 6s will be better, and if they are I'll get another couple of pairs.

OH and I are going over to Brixham for coffee this morning, and then I'll run back to Paignton.  The coastal route is one of my favourites locally, but it'll be muddy in sections and as I'll be wearing a brand new pair of shoes I'll use the roads instead.  Hoping for about 10 miles.
  • mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Big G - I can't do that quote thing on here but you have made me laugh.. finishing 2018 talking about a reduction in races but still having some "gaps".. then before we've caught our breath you've gone and entered another two! Love it!  :D

My routine starts off with a plank, press ups (The cheat ones with knees on the floor Shades, I can't do the full ones either), sit ups, squats and 6 minutes of stretches. The whole thing only takes about 12/15 mins but any more than that and it just ain't going to happen every day.

Enjoy your coastal run, if the weather with you is anything like here that will be lovely. Cold but clear blue skies, beautiful.

Robert - Keep hanging on in there.. I'm with you in spirit!

Ian - I'm 49 so a bit of a way for me to go until retirement as well. Are you following a proper training plan for Gran Canaria? I can't remember. Do you normally have a long taper or just a bit of cutting back in the last week?

Shades - Ah yes, I remember you getting struck down with tonsilitis now, forgot that it scuppered your DD plans. Going for it this year then!

In the short time that I did Pilates I didn't get on with those stability balls either. Seemed a lot of faffing round for something that didn't seem to make any difference.

I had a good run yesterday.. saw some deer which was nice. Wore my new insoles on top of the original ones (normally they advise taking original ones out) in my Hokas. Not sure if it was all that extra cushioning but definitely foot was less sore while running. Still hobbling round today though so am taking a day off. Bit boot faced as weather perfect for running but there you go.