Wednesday 2nd January 2019 Nobody knows where my Johnny has gone

Morning! And a particularly chilly one.

Lyrics: Nobody knows where my Johnny has gone 

What: fitness suite a.m. and run p.m.

Why: put some weight through my Achilles plus the daily run, followed by family meal this evening. 

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.

Comments

• Morning

Good to see you back Benjy life sounds hectic and hope the Anderson shelter works to deflect 2019 drama's

Ale: enjoy your meal tonight.

I missed NYD but a 5.6 mile run legs slow but job done.

What: A run
    Why: Because I can
    last hard: I feel the cold will be hard...1 degree
    Lyrics: yes

I am just bracing myself to get out in the cold.......

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Morning.

Yesterday's lyrics  were New Beginning by Tracy Chapman.

Cold here this morning too and tomorrow is forecast to be colder.

Hope you could keep warm Poppy.

Happy Birthday Alehouse. Hope you have a nice evening with your family.

What:            short and easy
    Why:             tapering
    Last hard:     looking at the weather forecast
    Last rest:      27/11

Lyrics - of course.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • BenjyBenjyBenjyBenjy ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    LMH: Tracy Chapman! Of course... the sheer disappointment in myself I have now. Enjoy the short easy.
    Ale: Good going on the new record time, getting back to your roots (yeah). Thanks for new year message!
    Dustin: Top trail there.
    Welsh: 1 degree? Quite mild here. Hope it isn't too bothersome.
    OH: My daughters wanted me to enter, the only problem is in the Summer when I go in the sea it takes 15mins of gentle in out of the water when it gets to the level above the knee/below the belly button. They don't wear wetsuits. The thought of straight in doesn't bother my back/legs/shoulders just the thought of that region makes me wince. I foolishly said yesterday go I'll have a go next year. I now have a full year of misdirection to perform so people forget I said that.
    Gobi: Cannock Chase, near my factory of manufacture. Was born in Sutton Coldfield and lived in Whittington/Lichfield.
    Chicksta: Storms, well I'm sure we will get them our way. The media are talking about upper atmosphere trouble a'brewing, meaning another 'Beast From The East' with snow and blizzards, but then again that could be just high-spirited doom mongering.

Forgot to mention I also I had to build my own website in the last few weeks graphicsandmedia.co.uk to get established if you want a peek.

What: An 8 miler this morning, then some 'werkin.
    Why: I haven't really eaten any more than usual over Christmas but have drunk a lot of booze, need to get the Xmas Xcess off the waist.
    Lyrics: Hell yes.

Have a tiptop day chaps.
  • 6.1 miles for me as stopped at village for milk and walked back I got jolly cold on the walk back home :)

LMH Luckily the layering technique works well for me and a beanie on my heat, buff around neck helps.

I  was lucky as pavements were clear of frost and ice car windscreen was clear on me leaving on my return hard frost!
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Benjy - spent the Christmas week a mile from the chase. Training has been excellent.

What: out at 5 am for 10 miles. Ice on the cars and longs on. No wind so very nice.

Gym run bike pm
    Why: fat lad had goals
    Last hard: new years eve
    Last rest: 31st October's
    Lyrics: I jolly well do

Onwards
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Morning all, 
    What - easy lunchtime
    Why - recovery
    last rest - Last year ;-)
    last hard - This Year :D 
    lyric - yes!
  • I love the design on your website Benjy! I hope they are wrong about the forthcoming bad weather - not what I need when marathon training. I can't remember - are you joining me at York this year?

No wind here either Gobi so whilst cold as you say nice running conditions.

Enjoy the easy Dustin.

I use a buff quite a bit Poppy, my throat is almost permanently sore but I do find keeping it warm helps and of course it means I have an emergency ear warmer, I'd have been too hot in a hat this morning though looking at the forecast tomorrow could be a different story.
  • BenjyBenjyBenjyBenjy ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Gobi: Ah! I see. Was thinking that was your stomping ground. Great early miles there.
    LMH: I'm not planning on entering York Marathon this year, but thought I might do the 10 mile just to go to the event and have something on the calendar. I am ticking away nicely at the moment doing frequent 7 & 8 milers and the time for the longer runs in marathonn training can chew up quite a bit of time in the week. However, I have said the last two years I won't be doing York Marathon again those years only to enter at the last week before cut off. I get my arm by my mate twisted and have limited will power to stick to my guns and then go ahead and enter. Thing is with York it is truly a lovely route to run, quite flat and smooth, but once it has been done a couple of times it gets a bit laborious a good PB route. Where I live you are at the end of the line for getting anywhere, you have to get 40 miles to York before you get a decent road to travel on, so events are a real chew to get to so end up doing York. The only thing I have planned is Ravenscar half as that is great fun, more like fell run in a lot of places so not good for dodgy knees, lots of steep up and down on uneven surface, certainly not a PB course. I quite fancy doing a few halves this year as I can enter them without altering my regular running schedule. Thanks for kind website comment.

Was intending 8 this morning but was going along quite nicely so did 9.

• I enjoyed the new site as well, Benjy! Some great photos and I particularly like the view from the boundary!

Fitness suite d&d. Run soon, although Achilles is not at its best.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    happy new year all!
    alehouse, sorry to hear your achilles is not at its best, take care, but happy birthday!! Have a lovely evening
    Benjy nice one! Always a good feeling when you are going nice and add some
    Dustin, good start to the year then!
    gobi, sounds good, me too with the lyrics!
    WP, nice miles, temp has dropped!
    LMH enjoy the short and easy

I managed 7.3 hilly off road with OH, one of his bike trails on the last run of the year and day 730 of my streak!

What: 3 ish gentle later
    why: I have done lots of tough off road over christmas
    last hard: yesterday nyd park run, heavy legs
    last rest: 31/12/16

nice to be back, hope everyone is doing ok

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Happy birthday, ale

Good to see you, wabo.

Benjy: Wowzers mate, what a super website. I'm really impressed. My other half is into photography and he's also blown away by your pics. Which says a lot.

LMH:  Those bad weather scare mongerers started their doomsday scenario here just before Xmas. Like you I really hope they're wrong. Given that they usually can't even get the forecast for the next day right I have serious doubts regarding the reliability of their models...

8 miles with LT for me today. Bright blue skies but rather cold and windy. I wanted it over and done with quickly so instead of the P&L 16 and 12 mins with a 4 min jog I did the fast 4 miles in one go just like the olden P&D marathon plan suggested. A bit chuffed to average 7:04 pace. That's where my LT pace was when I set all my PBs 6 years ago. Ran by HR and only checked pace after uploading to Garmin Connect. Of course it may just have been the tail wind that pushed me along ;)

Yes to lyrics :)

• Oh, and today was also day one of my annual 30 day yoga challenge in January. Adriene has launched her 2019 programme called Dedicate on YouTube yesterday if anyone fancies joining.
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    Happy birthday Alehouse, have a good one.

10 Miles for me this morning, beautiful day.  Some hair ice is growing in our garden, quite rare, very nice.  Needs a particular fungus to grow, very interesting if you look it up.  

Distance wise, this was the most for ages and my knee is suffering.  Physio again on the 9th, meanwhile, lots of rolling.  

Lyrics, yes indeed!

• Sorry to hear that your knee is bad Donaldo - lots of quad stretching too.

Nice pace chicksta.

Sounds as though you've been getting some good training in Wabo.
  • Bit late in the day but room for another one?

Happy New Year to everyone.

I've lurked on here for some time, I'm pretty crap at the lyrics but like the general format of the thread.

Hope everyone has had a good if cold day, in particular Alehouse - Happy Birthday. 

Just the standard format for today, good way to stop me waffling too much.

What: 14k GA (sorry, I work in km - that's around 8.7 miles for mileage fans)
    Why:  Beginning week 6 of P&L multi distance.
    Last hard:  starting work again after the Christmas break
    Last rest: 1/1 due to race on 31/12
    Lyrics: yes (for once..)
  • The more the merrier Hazelnut - welcome. Any reason your work in k?
  • Thanks LMH.  I live in Switzerland nowadays (from the UK originally) and everything is done in km here so it is a habit.  I tried running by miles but it takes so much longer for one to go past on the watch.For the forum I generally convert to miles
  • Evening!

Great to see you on here, Hazel! Stick around! Where in Switzerland?

And thanks for the birthday wishes everyone. 

I also use kms. Most races are now in ks. (The real reason is that I am now officially old and I now run a k at the same speed as I used to run a mile. But don't tell anyone.)

Pleasant meal with family; alehouse later perhaps. 

• 400m open water swim (water temperature now <5°C)
    January's 2nd qualifying swim for Polar Bear Challenge 
    Still a Public Holiday here.
    Last hard - see above
    Lyrics no

Hi HazelCH. Whereabouts are you in Switzerland? (My youngest daughter is in Zürich)
  • (16 of us in water today despite recent drop in temperature)
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Benjy - I live about 20 miles from the chase