Thursday, 3 January 2019 - Nothing comes easy and that's a fact

Morning :)

Back to the grind today.

Good to see you on here Hazel :)
I work in ks too (I'm German) but convert my runs into old money when I post.

Today's lyrics: Nothing comes easy and that's a fact.

Minus 5 this morning. Not sure how my body will cope but I shall find out in a minute.

Comments

• Morning.

We're forecast the same kind of temperature tomorrow chicksta - I'm not looking forward to it! Hope conditions were ok for you to run.

I don't like k's because there are too many of them to run Hazel  :) Are you training for anything in particular.

I'm cold just thinking about it OH.

Glad you had a nice day Alehouse.

What:            short and easy
    Why:             tapering
    Last hard:     tapering
    Last rest:      27/11

Lyrics - familiar but can't name that tune.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Ale: Happy belated birthday Ale! Sorry I must have missed that in the text. Glad you had a good one.
    Chicksta: Bloomin Nora -5! That is pushing it down. Our continental counterparts certainly get the weather extremes, whereas our wet 'n windy island rarely gets that bad. Thanks for you comments yesterday, very kind of you.
    Hazelnut: Hiya great to see you, CH I see the Swiss in your user name, all the world's best stuff is Swiss, oh yes of course the obvious chocolate, Omega watches etc but more importantly Helvetica typeface and the Swiss graphic design style that influences everything we see now from shop signage, mobile phone screens to the bread loaf packaging I see next to me on the worktop. I would stay stick to your Kms, don't make it easy for us in Blighty, give us something to do.
    LMH: Don't worry about the tempeaeture tomorrow, I'm confident it will be 3 degrees (Prince Charles' favourite pop group), I never believe a word Helen Willets on the weather forecast says. However if Carol Kirkam said it would be below 0 then I would be inclined to muster a mild panic.
    Don: Great 10 miles there and did Google the hair ice, amazing, seems a real shame for it to melt. Sorry to hear about the knee, hope it eases soon.
    Wabo: That streak is doing mighty fine! Really impressed, even through illness you have kept at it.

What: Gym day today, much later on though, punishing lactic acid inducing pyramid routine. And a ton of bench leg raises and sit-ups.
    Why: Leg rest day, (2 days running, 1 day gym), need to get the Christmas booze growth back down again.
    Lyrics: Yep!

• Thanks for the further welcomes.

OH/Alehouse:  I live about 10 miles from Berne.
    OH: I shudder when I read about the swimming.  Some jump in the river here (currently 5.91 degrees apparently). Might be tempted to dip my feet in the sea though as I don't get to see it very often.
    Chicksta: Hope the run went well, similar temperatures here and a beautiful morning.
    LMH: I'm not training for anything particular at the moment - just trialling a bit of P&L as I did well on P&D and want to drop down to 10k to HM this year rather than full marathons.  Should look around for a race though, there are not too many around at the moment.
    Donaldo: any chance of a pic of the ice?
    Benjiy: enjoy the gym.

What: intervalls later
    Why: P&L
    Last hard: looking out of the window at the lovely weather and being stuck at my desk
    Last rest: 1/1
    Lyrics: hmm - not familiar.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Morning all, 
    Ale - Belated birthday wishes, hope you blew those 29 candles out in one go?!
    Hazel - Welcome. You will no doubt laugh in the coming months when we talk about the glacial and freezing temperatures here!

What - U11 coaching so easy running 
    Why - back in the routine
    Last rest - December
    Last Hard - Tuesdays

• Morning!

Yesterday's lyrics were "It's my party (and I'll cry if I want to)", originally by Lesley Gore. My birthday song of choice! 

No candles at all, Dustin!

What: short run and long fitness suite

Why: easy running day

Very grey again here, and cold.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Morning all and welcome to the k users :-)

What: 70 min watt bike including efforts d&d mtb ride at Cannock Chase PM
    Why: double bubble  with dastardly dick and a small dog 
    Last hard: today
    Last rest: October 31st
    Lyrics: I believe so 

Just completed my pace making schedule through to Manchester Marathon

I don't run enough to race in the trainers 

Stubbington 10km Jan 13th
    Bramley 10 miles Feb 17th
    Warwick half Mar 3rd
    Eastleigh 10km Mar 24th

I have decided to stick to the original season goal and qualify for ITU/ETU duathlon champs and race at the National Standard distance champs.
  • Funny thing about hair ice. I've never heard of it before but by coincidence they featured it on local telly last week and a few days later it's mentioned again in Don's post.

Gobi: Nice pacing schedule. Must be a rewarding thing to get others fulfill their potential and race to a PB. Good luck qualifying.

Hazel: enjoy those intervals (if they can be enjoyed …) I did a few weeks on P&L before xmas but just as I was supposed to do the first set work went mad and I cut myself some slack. No such luck this time around if I want to race a decent half in April …

Managed 10 miles in the end but my hands were absolutely frozen despite wearing gloves. I had serious trouble getting my key into the lock. Another comedy moment: Nearly got floored by a pile of horse shit. I'd misjudged its height and the fact that it was frozen solid. Left foot was caught. Cue arms flailing all over the place and a look of utter panic on my face :D Just about managed to stay upright. Pride and bones still intact :)

• Good core strength there chicksta - glad you managed to stay upright. It took me eight miles to warm up this morning and hat, buff, gloves etc all stayed on - and tomorrow is forecast to be much colder.

Do you pace for one of the race organisers Gobi or just for friends?

Just because you're in the south doesn't mean the rest of us don't get weather Dustin  :)

I don't think there are many races anywhere at the moment Hazel - the early HMs always seem to fill up very quickly.

I use the Met Office forecast Benjy as I usually find it to be the most accurate. Cold enough out there today but tomorrow is forecast to be worse - how I long for those hot days.

How is everything feeling Alehouse?
  • Afternoon!

Smiled at Chick

What: very gentle 20 minutes or so. Very well wrapped up (2 pairs of bottoms, three tops, hat): too warm!

Why: recovery run. Am trying not to up the kms too quickly, sticking pretty much with the 10% increase rule max: biggest week recently has been just under 30 so don't want to exceed that by too much yet with my recent injury record!

LMH: thanks for asking! I was going to say that everything feels old, but it doesn't! Achilles and lower calf are a bit niggly and will have to be managed. Wardi suggested one of these: 
    https://tensmachineuk.com/ultrasound-and-massagers.html
    Any thoughts?

Nice series of outings lined up, Gobi. The only thing I intend to do is February's LFoM 5k, plus some gentler parkruns. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    These 4 are all for one person  who is running Manchester. 

Last year I also had a few outings as an official event pace maker and have done the same at parkrun on multiple occasions.
  • A personal pacer - nice Gobi!

I know that Wardi swears by his Alehouse but my physio is very sceptical about the efficacy of ultrasound for most injuries.
  • Afternoon,

Welcome Hazel to the madhouse;-)

What: 5.1 miles
    Why: All my legs wanted to run and even that was tough
    Last Hard: Last 2 miles were tough along with -2temps:-(
    Lyrics: Yes
    Even colder tomorrow so going to go to the seaside where it will be 2 degrees warmer but at least it means I run;-)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    Hazel, as requested!  Taken yesterday. It only grows on dead wood with a specific fungus, which causes frost to form in threads.  It appeared on the same.stick last week when we got to -5 as well.
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    Just a wee 2.8 mile run with Jen today. 

Lyrics, yes I think so. 
  • Brilliant pic, Don :+1:

Day 2 of my yoga challenge done just now 🙏
  • Nice to have a plan Gobi.

Ouch to the hands Chicksta.  I had to giggle about the horse shit (and again when I ran past some on my run earlier..).  Be careful though please. Well done on the yoga.

No heat please LMH I had to hibernate from it for quite a bit this summer.  Could be a bit warmer at the moment though.

Sensible to do the gradual increase Alehouse.

WP I'm jealous of your seaside.

Thanks for the pic Donaldo.  Would love to see that in real life. 

I got my intervalls done on a combined shop&run outing.  As often on a fairly level stretch of smooth tarmac and measured by GPS so probably not that accurate but I do what I can. 
    3 x 1200, 2 x 800 and 2 x 600 with 3 min, 2 min and 1:30 recoveries.  Hard work!  I didn't warm up sufficiently for the temperatures of around freezing and my quads didn't really want to work initially.  Bit of a shock to the lungs as well.

Splits: 5:00, 4:51 and 5:03 for the 1200s, 3:15 and 3:27 for the 800s and 2:27 and 2:34 for the 600s including a few tightish corners, a 180 degree turn and a fairly stiff breeze in one direction.  I would like to take a few seconds off yet but I don't like running at faster than 10k PB pace (4:15/km)..

Could have bagged myself a chicken as it was freely ranging on the wrong side of the fence but it fortunately ran away from me rather than under my feet.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    evening all

welcome Hazel... :-)

Lyrics yes

some good solid trg and race plans, (looks more than you did last year Gobi)....

1 set of hard intervals for a while tonight, 7 x 300m off 300m rec 4.6m in total.

3 x 10ks booked for me, Slough (Black Park) 10k Trail, Winchester 10k and Limassol 10k

Take care all
  • An Other HalfAn Other Half ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Just an easy 3.4 today. Had intended swim and badminton but life got in the way.
    Lyrics no

Happy belated birthday AH

Have swum down the river in Bern (October). Strangest bit was walking 2k upstream in the capital city dressed only in swimming trunks!