Friday 4th January 2019 - I wrote you a letter

Morning.

Lyrics - I wrote you a letter
            To make myself feel better

That is beautiful Donaldo - thanks for the photo. Has your knee settled a bit?

Isn't the point of doing the short intervals to run faster than 10k pace Hazel? I don't do any speed work myself (too decrepit) so it's a genuine question.

Enjoy the seaside run Poppy.

Thanks for the morning smile OH (the mental picture of you promenading through Berne in your budgie smugglers) 
:) 

What:            short and easy
Why:             taper
Last hard:     thinking of shivering on the start line in my vest and shorts in just over a week
Last rest:      27/11
If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• Morning!

Lyrics: no

Great pic, Don
    And not sure about the mental pic of OH!

Re faster reps, I think the speed depends on a number of factors: they will be slower at the start of a cycle of speed work and also will be usually done on tired legs whilst in a race they should be fresher. If my niggles ever permit me to get back to speed work I will be aiming to eventually run each rep at faster than race pace, but this will be something to build towards. 

What: short and easy

Why: sensible head as trying to build slowly
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Pacing like coaching is very enjoyable

Speed work short distance in early season based on effort. If the rep is shorter than 2 mins we are looking at mile to 5km pace if a min or shorter then all in to mile pace.

2 to 6 mins 5km 

Dont do 10km pace intervals unless the rep is about 2 miles.

What: run and gym PM
    Why: easy Friday
    Last hard: yesterday
    Last Rest: 31st October
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Morning All
    LmH - the weather comment is more on us Southerners tbh. Two flakes of snow in the home counties and the rail network shuts down and we start stockpiling tins of soup...
    Gobi - Might see you at Bramley. Doing the 20, although is just after #1 daughters 21st, so that may be the designated 'birthday weekend'
    Hazel - Good session. To jump in on LmH's question, I agree with points Ale has made but also on target race distance. Training for 1500-5k, then a lot of the reps will be shorter (up to 400s) at mile pace or faster, with 800-1k reps around 3-5k pace. As Ale said you build towards those faster splits.
    Training for marathons, I err towards 600-2k reps at 5k pace although this 'pace' changes as you go through the cycle (5k pace today is probably slower than 5k pace next month). I still do some 100s and 200s mara training but more for form/technique than pace specific. 

What - easy run
    Why - XC County Champs tomorrow
    Last Rest - December
    Last hard - 01/01
    lyric - possibly
  • I haven't yet seen anyone in the city itself in budgie smugglers but along the river it is standard stuff in the summer. 

Alehouse / LMH: The reps should be at around 5k race pace.  But I don't seem to have one of those.  I don't race 5ks (no parkrun here either) so that is a theoretical pace for me anyway which I have taken from the pacing tables in P&L based on my 10k PB (ran last autumn in peak marathon training).  Just have to be patient and see if things improve over time. 

Have a good Friday everyone.

Lyrics: don't think so
    What: sensibly paced 10 miles
    Why: tired after yesterday's efforts and tough training week.
    Last hard:  work motivation
    Last rest: 1/1
  • Thanks for the reps thoughts.

Hazel - I can't even hit MP in training apart from the odd mile towards the end of the taper if I'm lucky.

Just back from walking Grace - it's cold out there! Have wrapped up (though not to Alehouse's standard) and will be heading out shortly.
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Morning

Thought I'd posted Wednesday, but seemed to have missed it so happy belated birthday Ale :smile: 

Went to pilates on Wednesday, enjoyed the class, though my bad leg does not like the clam-shell type exercises.

Yesterday did 3 x 1 km.  Meant to be at 5km pace, but managed 5:00, 5:15 and 5:27.  I blame the unevenness of the route (not the fact I just couldn't keep the pace up!).

Welcome hazelnut (I also work in km).

Don that photo is amazing!

So today is probably a rest as need to get ready to head south (very south) tomorrow.  Apparently the pool is currently at 33 degrees :)

Chick, oh I'll join you on the yoga, is it on her youtube channel?

What: looks like day 4 of yoga
    Why: I didn't realise it was happening again so will do it now :)
    Last hard: yesterday's intervals!
    Lyrics: nope

Have a lovely day all.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Morning again!

Good to see you  Emz! I take it you are going to SA! Spent much of yesterday watching SA v Pakistan and it looked warm!

What: short run done and dusted and yes, with two pairs of bottoms and four tops. 

Why: train heavy, race light, protect muscles, keep warm, it was cold etc.

Interesting thinking about "speed" work. I remember Birkmyre many years ago correcting someone when they talked about "intervals" as that was always considered the rest, or interval, between reps. In that case I like intervals.

Get changed and head to town on the tram for more birthday shopping: twins are 29 on Sunday. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Oh yes, em - please join me :) Yes, it's on her YouTube channel. We're on day 3 now (January 1 was just a brief introductory v-log) but you can start whenever. First session nearly put me off as it's 49 mins but she does explain a lot and it is actually quite relaxing to just close the eyes and go with the flow. I was surprised how quickly the time passed. I simply love the way she makes yoga accessible for all. Some of the classes I did can be quite daunting with hardcore uber-bendy instructors who think everyone has to contort their bodies in the same way. The "find what feels good mantra" makes so much more sense.

Where are you off to? 33 degrees sounds about the right temperature for me :)

Hazel: well done getting those intervals out of the way on a less than ideal route it seems. 180 degree turns aren't exactly conducive to fast running ;)

Good luck for the champs tomorrow, Dustin.

OH: Would have loved to see you strutting your stuff in your budgie smugglers walking through Berne :D

LMH: Hope it warms up a bit as you run.

Less cold here today but it's wet and windy again. Conscious decision that today is a non-running day. Must not get back to old (bad) habits that led to injury.

What: Day 3 of my yoga challenge done + core strength at the gym planned for lunchtime
    Why: injury proofing these old bones
    Last hard: sleeping
    Last rest: 21/12

Yesterday's were Work Hard, Depeche Mode

• If anything it was colder chicksta, I didn't warm up at all. If the temperature hasn't increased for my race next Sunday I'll be struggling.

I envy you the warmth emzap.

Hope the shopping trip is fruitful Alehouse.

Are you racing and team managing at the County Champs Dustin?
  • Quick pop in today, trying to get a knickerbocker glory drawn by lunchtime.

Don: Cracking pic Don, truly amazing occurence.

What: 6 to 7 miler at lunchtime with Jeremy Vine along cinder track to beach
    Why: Keep moving, get off the rump, see some sights, get mentally involved in topical debate with JV show (Guessing today's JV discussion will be Brexit, Aggresive Swans, Brexit).
    Lyrics: Aye
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Morning all
    Lyrics so familiar
    Benjy enjoy the run and JV
    Chick well done on the yoga challenge - I meant to look at that
    Alehouse, blimey that sounds cold!! I don't have so much to wear for later...
    Emzap I may try catch up with you and chick on day 4!
    LMH I am worried I am not up to alehouse standard now..
    Hi Hazelnut and welcome!!
    Dustin enjoy the xctry, I am not taking part tomorrow

What: rest day so 2 miles later
    why: year 3
    last hard: yesterday am and looking after speedy reggie all day!!!
    Last rest: 31/12/16

Me and OH are going to do 12 miles off road tomorrow oh dear!! 
    Marshalling at park run first
    have a great weekend all
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    LmH - yeah team managing, I have high hopes for some age group medals, I think we have teams in all categories (apart from U20s anyway) including around 15 in the Senior/Vet Men.
    I'll get round but nowhere near speeds of the last two winters - the knee is better everyday and I'll certainly not  hang about, but plan on enjoying it.
    Ale - Are you going to be at the Nationals in Feb (Leeds)?
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all.  

Wish I was doing some XC tomorrow too, Dustin, I am missing it.  With weekend commitments, my next XC race is 2nd Feb I think.  Good luck this weekend.

Rest day today, my knee needs it.  
  • Late one from me I thought i had posted  must be my old brain;-)

Hazel: Nice mileage;-)

LMH: You and me both wrapped up it took 3 miles till I could feel I had fingers and toes!

What: 5 miles
    Why: Because I can no better reason
    Last hard: The cold -4 at home -1 at the seaside
    Lyrics: Yes

A faster run well it would be with the cold and it is flat not like at home;-)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    evening all

Dustin, have a good one, I miss the XC chaps and the XC races too

working from home today so was able to get out for a shade under 6 miles at lunch time, was still very cold, also got signed off by the surgeon today form my hand, which is good news.

Helping out with pacing at parkrun tomorrow, and helping a new pacer on 27 mins

Take care all
  • OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Afternoon,

Hope you are all well. :)
    AH: Happy belated birthday for Wednesday. 

Nothing today as had an exam, but hope to do Woodbank parkrun tomorrow so alarm has been set.
    Have a good day. image
  • Thanks OL! Hope exam went well! Fletcher Moss tomorrow!