Saturday 5th January 2019 Once upon a time there was a tavern

Morning!

Lyrics: Once upon a time there was a tavern

These sprang to mind when reminiscing in the alehouse on my birthday!

What: gentle parkrun

Why: long run of the week

Back later!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.

Comments

• Morning.

Yesterday's lyrics - To Live A Life - First Aid Kit.

Family emergency yesterday led to FiL being sectioned and my having less than four hours sleep. I'm glad I'm tapering as I'm looking forward to a nice, easy, short run to help clear my head and hopefully make me feel better and more able to face what's coming.

What:           short and easy
    Why:            see above
    Last hard:    see above
    Last rest:     27/11

Lyrics - yes.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • That sounds tough for you all to deal with, LMH. Running will help!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • espenhbespenhb ✭✭✭
    Newbie-alert: Would someone care to explain a novice what the deal is with these threads?
  • Hi espen!

The daily thread: someone, anyone, starts the thread each day using a line or two from the beginning  (usually) of a song. Everyone has to say whether they know the lyrics or not, but don’t actually say what they are. The answer is revealed at the end of the day, or more usually, the next day. Where possible the lyrics have a degree of topicality. 

People also say:
    What: as in what training is planned
    Why: that training will happen

Some add:
    Last hard: noting a particularly hard run
    Last rest: last rest day

Often people will comment on other things that they plan to do, or the weather!

Feel free to join us!

• Morning. 

My thoughts are with you LMH. Difficult situation.

Good luck to Dustin for XC and to all parkrunners.

Travel well emzap. I would love to go to SA if that is where you are heading.

Good luck with the exam results Ollie.

Some interesting comments made on speedwork yesterday thanks.

Light snowfall here today, not expecting a lot though.

What: 8 with strides and short hills, depending on snow and legs
    Why: P&L
    Last rest: 1/1
    Lyrics: No
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Morning

What: yoga done (she makes me laugh Chick, drunken cow!), plus a mile (plus the miles to Heathrow and the 6000 odd overnight!)
    Why: no time for anything else as need to prepare the house etc
    Last hard: some of those poses this morning were challenging to my hip flexors!
    Lyrics: nope

Yup Cape Town, hazelnut my in-laws are there.  Would definitely recommend it.
    LMH thoughts are with you and Mark, hope the run clears your head.
    Hi Espen

Have a lovely day all.
  • Welcome espen.

Thanks guys. I'm rather physically and emotionally drained but think a (very) short and (I expect) slow run will do more good than harm. No telling what the next few days/weeks are going to look like. Plans are in place which should mean that I can still run Brass but I'm thinking I have a good excuse for a bad time.................:-)

Hope the snow doesn't cause any difficulties running Hazel.

Doesn't feel quite as cold as yesterday here Alehouse but I shall be adopting your train heavy race light approach.
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    Morning all.

LmH, hope you are okay and the run helps.  Best wishes to your FiL as well.

I'm hoping to do 7 x half miles with 2 mins recovery although I might increase the recovery.  Speedwork like this for me should be about 5K pace so if I can do each rep in 3 mins I will be happy. 

Was going to parkrun but slept in instead.  Back to work on Monday! 

Lyrics,nope.
  • espenhbespenhb ✭✭✭
    Then I'm in!

Lyrics? Had to Google.

What: Hopefully an easy short run.
    Why: My leg hurts. One week off seems to have made it better, but it still hurts. Been trying to figure out if it's a tendon, muscles or the beginning of a stress fracture. Leaning towards the first two.
  • OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Morning all,

Ale: Hope parkrun went well today, I don't think I've done Fletcher Moss before, any good?
    LMH: Sorry to hear about your day, hope the running helped clear your mind.  What race are you tapering for?
    Espen: Welcome, hope your short run goes well, and fingers crossed the leg pain isn't too serious.
    Hazel: Thanks, think the exam went well so will have to wait and see.  Hope you enjoy the strides and hills today.
    Emzap: Safe flight.  And good going on the yodga, only form of stretching I can manage is reaching for my brew.
    Don: Sounds like a good session, enjoy.

What: Woodbank parkrun, then off to Old Trafford to watch United v Reading.
    Why: It is there and I was also there.

Lyrics: Nope.

Work to do re: running, but hope to do a few miles tomorrow and get back into building up the miles gradually, as recommended by Ale.

Hope you all have a good day.
    Have a good day. image
  • Thanks Ollie - it was a rubbish run but I feel better for it. I have the Brass Monkey Half next Sunday. When do you get the results from your exam?

Hope the knee holds up Donaldo.

Sounds a bit dodgy espen - maybe more rest is required or a visit to the physio for a diagnosis?
  • Hi espen and welcome aboard. If you have to Google it's a no for lyrics :) Hope it's not a stress fracture.

Go well, parkrunners.

Oh no, LMH. That's terrible news :(  Thoughts are with you. When all the bad stuff happened to my family I found short runs ok but I had no energy for pacy or longer stuff. Go with the flow - whatever helps you mentally (and physically) at this stage is a good thing.

Em: Proper jealous now. I love ZA. Yeah, Adriene is brilliant. I love her jokes and funny expressions. Couldn't be doing with a serious yoga class chanting mantras...

Hazel: 8 miles + strides for me too. Hope the snow is not too bad. 9 degrees and rain here.
    Olliepop said:

Emzap: Safe flight.  And good going on the yodga, only form of stretching I can manage is reaching for my brew.
    :D
    Hope the exam results are good.

What: 8 miles with strides and day 4 of yoga
    Why: P&L half marathon plan / 30 day challenge
    Last hard: running against the wind will be
    Last rest: 21/12
    Lyrics: no

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Morning again!

No, you haven't done Fletcher Moss, OL: it was only week 8 today. I find it quite tough as it has a couple of hills...but nothing like Woodbank. Probably a minute slower than South Manchester. 

So, after 1.5k warm up set off steadily as the first of the hills is after about 400 metres. Then saw a friend ahead so worked to catch him up. We ran together for a while and then he went away when we went up the hill for the second time. Gradually reeled him in and I then pushed on with about 800 to go. Finished in 24:05, 15 seconds clear of my friend. Had hoped that I was first in my age group, but wasn't: I know the guy who was first and never saw him before, during or after! And I beat him last week! A reasonable start to the new age group though as I didn't work too hard except for the last 3 or 4 minutes. And yes, wore long sleeved top with t-shirt over, tights under shorts but no gloves or hat: must have been a bit warmer than forecast!  About 5 degrees in fact. 

Will be looking up the yoga exercises shortly. 

Safe trip, Emz! Enjoy the sunshine! Quite a contrast to Thailand where one of my friends has hired a beach apartment for a month: he sent me some clips of some pretty wild weather, and he isn't in the worst hit area. 

What I like about this thread, Espen, is the wide range of both abilities and ages: something for everyone and everyone welcome and supportive.

And I think most people will know the lyrics!
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    Well done Alehouse.

welcome Espen, hope you like it here!  

Good session today, set the watch up to do 7 x half miles with 2 mins recovery.  I walked or stood still, or bent over, during the recoveries.  No running.

Rep 1: 3:00. Getting the pacing sorted
    Rep 2: 2:58.  A mostly flat rep
    Rep 3: 3:03.  A bit uphill this one.
    Rep 4: 3:09.  A long slog uphill, equal effort to the rest.
    Rep 5: 2:50.  What goes up must come down.  Rep 4 in reverse.
    Rep 6: 2:54.  Pretty much Rep 3 in reverse
    Rep 7: 2:53.  Pushed this a little harder.

Pleased with that, all on the road with its various ups and downs.
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    PS.  Ollie, enjoy the footie.  It’s been wonderful watching them again since Ole returned.  What a transformation.  First time I am feeling the love for ManU since Fergie left. 
  • Good session, Don, especially doing it solo and on undulating roads. And agree about your football comments.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all
    Welcome espen I hope your leg is ok!
    Lmh oh that must be tough, hope the next few days are not too hard
    Alehouse lyrics yes, park run sounds Good! 
    Don wow good session!
    Chick good training, I've realised I did day one of someone else not Adrienne! Oh well I'll try to do day 2 later
    Ollie hope park run went well, enjoy footie!
    Hazel hope you had a good run
    What park run Marshall, followed by 70 mins off road very tough, had a fall in the last mile
    Why not picking up feet! 
    Last hard that was
    Last rest 31/12/16
    Me and oh planned 12 miles bit it wasn't happening for him today and then tbh not for me either.
    Have a good day all
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • An Other HalfAn Other Half ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Parkrun (25:36)
    as nothing else planned.
    Last hard: some of Friday's yoga poses
    Lyrics sound familiar but no

Welcome espen
    Difficult and stressful times for you both, LMH
  • Afternoon!

70 mins sounds a big increase,Wabo! My M73 friend wants to do an hour on Monday and I'm not looking forward to it! Needs to be done, particularly in your case!

Well done, OH: must be one of your best times on that course.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Busy on here today  :)

Good session Don, and well done on all the parkruns, good work all.

Welcome espenhb  :)

What - Swindon Parkrun (Mentoring pacing duties at 27 mins)
    Why - Too many vulenteers and first time that the offical pacer had done 27 and wanted some moral support.... we achieved it with a nice 26:58 official results...
    Last Hard - Thurs Intervals
    Last Rest - Weds

Take care all

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Nice parkrunning, Ale, OH and RFJ.

I'm super excited that we finally get a parkrun in Hamburg. It starts next Saturday. I guess I may use it for my LT run. Weather is going to be rubbish next week and somehow I'm never happy with treadmill runs. Let's face it, it's a bit like cheating as the belt is doing the work and all you have to do is stay upright and not fall off ;)

I guess there's a few 30 day yoga challenges in YouTube , wabo. I just really like Adriene because she comes across as a genuinely lovely person. And Benji (not our DTT Benjy) is just the most adorable dog I've ever seen. This year's challenge is called "Dedicate"

Speedy reps, Don

Managed my run and my yoga. Ready  for pizza 🍕 now
  • Another day running away with me!

LMH Thoughts are with you  and Mark at this tough time:-(

EM: safe  travelling I bet it is a nice temps at the moment;-)

What: 6.70 miles
    Why: Because I can
    Last hard: The cold weather but it was a degree or 2 warmer today
    Lyrics: Yes

I have spent the day taking decorations down, dusting polishing , hoovering it is exhausting more so that a run;-)

Welcome to the thread Espenhb
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression

• This is the link to Adriene's YouTube channel
  • Welcome to Espen.  Careful with that leg.

Chicksta, I guessed that googling the lyrics is a no-no for a yes.  If you can sing (or what passes as such) but don't remember the title /artist is that a half-yes? (Or a Jein? Sorry to non-German speakers that is a half-no maybe). Jealous of your parkrun.

Nice parkrun report Alehouse.

Well done on the parkruns also RFJ and OH.

Good reps Donaldo.

Hope the fall didn't hurt too much Wabo.

Agree on the housework WP.

I checked my plan before setting out for the number of hill sprints and strides and was actually relieved to find a 4 mile recovery on the agenda, those speed bits are for tomorrow.

Couple of centimetres of snow were not such a problem, had to be careful on the frozen mud though.

Lower back is a bit sore - should look into the yoga myself.
  • Elspeth does yogawithAdrienne too
  • Hope you enjoyed the match, OL, and the parkrun didn't take too much out of you and you are able to get out tomorrow. Consistent consistency: a little and reasonably often. 

Hoping that you have had a fairly calm day and the medics have everything under control, LMH. A very difficult situation.
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    WtAF- the world has gone mad in here, some good training by the look of it.

Sorry to read about your issues LMH 

What: 8.5 miles including my first win of 2019 and 81% WAVA (Should stop now)
    Why: nobody good turned up
    Last hard: today
    Last rest: October 31st
    Lyrics: nope
  • An Other HalfAn Other Half ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    (not a PCB, AH. 2nd best I think)