My Last Run

Comments

• I've only done it once, Will, but it's a brilliant race (and I got a big PB). JD, better get your entry in before they raise the price.
    Cold here too, so I decided to wait for the sun to come up as I didn't fancy sliding around on frosty pavements in the dark. That way lies injury, or at least an undigified tumble.
    Logged 6 miles. I actually got a bit too hot and removed my gloves, hat and buff between 3 and 4 miles. But I also ended up going a little bit quicker than intended, which tends to happen when it gets chilly. Achilles wasn't too bad but my groin was a bit off - it wasn't very happy in yoga yesterday so I need to keep an eye on it.
  • HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    10 miles for me yesterday evening.  Legs and the rest pretty tired from the previous day's speedwork so kept the pace down in particular on a few stretches of frozen rutted mud - nasty stuff.  Saw one dog with a flashy collar and heard some exciting crashings in the wood - probably deer but not much else. 
    Snowing here a bit, maybe will need to work around that trainingwise.
  • Hampstead parkrun today. It was meant to be Ally Pally, but a cancelled train forced me to do some quick rerouting. And Hampstead is really nice, just really bloody hilly! Came in a bit under 27 which was decent for the terrain so I'm happy with that. Will have to do Ally Pally another time.
  • Parkrun for me too this morning. Very chilly but warmed up jogging the mile and a half to the park. Clocked 25:09, which was pleasing. Still a way off my PB of 24:02 but need a bit more speedwork before having a crack at that. Distance training is the priority for now. A 17 miler ahead of me tomorrow while the kids are at the pantomime :) 
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Nice parkrunning both of you.  Annoying about the train Cal, but good you had an alternative. 

Good luck for your long run Will.

4 miles recovery in a couple of centimetres of snow.  Wore my trail shoes for better grip. 
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Cal - Just checked the price for Chester and it's just been raised,oh well.

Good parkrunning Will and Cal.I don't get to many parkruns usually working,my last one was in October,with my then ten year old daughter,went round in 38 minutes.I had to bribe her with a cake to run,but she seems to enjoy it.She's also in the school XC team,so hopefully she'll get the running bug.

Good interval session Hazelnut,going to try and make my clubs session on Wednesday for the first time in months.

6.3 miles along the canal this aftertnoon.Plenty of walkers and cyclists out today.
  • Glad we don't have snow, Hazlenut.
    Well done on your parkrun, Will - decent time.
    JD1 - I'd still book it, it's a fab race.
  • 18 miles done, including three circuits of Brockwell Park. Saw two foxes very close together. One was in front of me and scarpered into someone's drive, only to have their security light come on and show him in all his glory. A few yards further one there was a fox sat on a wall within a couple of feet of me. I think we surprised each other.
    Disappointingly, I didn't get one whiff of marijuana on today's run.
    45 miles for the week, and year so far.
  • Great 18 miler Cal, well done.  You probably see more foxes in London than I do here out in the countryside.

Where are your canals out of curiosity JD? Can be useful things for running.

I managd a pre breakfast run for once today. Well post tea, banana and espresso but I don't like running fasted.  8 miles general aerobic with 6 x short hill sprints and 8 x strides at the end. 
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Nice 18 miles Cal.Have to agree with Hazlenut about the foxes,hardly see any foxes here apart from dead ones on the road.

Hazelnut - It's the Llangollen canal,which comes in really handy because it's the only flat bit around here.I enjoy fasted running but no more than 8 miles.

10.22 miles on the canal today nice and slow.
  • I'm sure that stretch of canal is welcome respite around your way, JD1.  Nice running.

Good 18 miler, Cal. I haven't seen a fox for a while now, but also haven't been out for any early runs lately. They're not as daring here as the London foxes.

I generally need at least a banana and a coffee before my legs take me anywhere. Good hill work.

17 miles banked yesterday, although it was a tough one off the back of 4 runs in 3 days. I wanted to test myself running long on tired legs and I certainly did that. Miles 12-14 were where I really felt the burn and I honestly couldn't feel my legs for the last mile! Still, job done and good to know I have the grit when needed. My powerball recipe defo needs a tweak as they're getting a bit stuck in my throat - not what you need when you puffing! Definite rest day today.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • i am the best inspiration for myself, i self motivated me, when everyone demoralized me but i love to running being a athletics. In Delamere someone had made a big picture on the floor of a squirrel out of sticks, pine cones and stuff and it was really good but it distracted me and I caught my toe on a root and went flying, it wasn’t sunny but it was warm so I was running topless and as a subsequence I ended up covered in mud and pine needles.
    [url=https://bit.ly/2OXVdRf]Accommodation in Reading[/url]
  • espenhbespenhb ✭✭✭
    9k run commute. Struggling to go easy enough. My default pace is a bit too high. Not «struggling to finish the workout»-fast, but more... «Should have gone 10 seconds slower per kilometer»-fast.

Any advice?
  • espenhb, try talking or counting out loud - if you can manage short sentences then you are going at the right pace. If you can't, slow down.
  • Well done for getting through your 17 miles Will.  Training having the grit is a good thing. 

Good tip from Cal regarding pacing.  Could try it myself as I'm guilty of the same habit.

A training HM for me today in a bit over 1:47.  A tough one as it was supposed to be progressive finishing with 3 miles @ LT pace (around 10 mile PB pace for me).  I overcooked the progression and cut the pace back after 10 miles and just before reaching LT pace as I knew I wouldn't get through the last 3 at that pace.  Nonetheless pleased with the run.  Rest day tomorrow.
  • That's a good pace for a HM you're not even racing, Hazelnut. Lord knows it's almost 10 minutes faster than my HM PB.
    Yesterday was a non-running day (I'd say rest, but since I did a hot inferno pilates class which includes burpees and squats and mountain climbers, it's hardly restful). Today, 6 miles. Sunny, a bit chilly and a bit windy in places. I'd like to say I enjoyed it but I felt tired and sluggish so I was happy when it was done. Oddly, my pace was faster than I felt I'd been going, but it could just be that I went out later (9am) and I'm stiffer when I go out early so my stride is shorter.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Well done on your 17 miles Will.It's starting to dawn on me that'll I have to up the mileage soon.
    That sounds like a tough training run Hazelnut.
    I also had a non-running day yesterday Cal but ended up going to circuit training.
    I went for a 6.03 easy miles this morning.Hopefully going to my clubs intervals tomorrow evening for the first time in months,I've had a glute strain since August and have been struggling with pace.
  • I going to have to concur on the foxes, I've never seen so many as when I was living in London!

I've taken a couple of weeks off after the Portsmouth marathon and finally opened my 2019 account yesterday with just over five bimbling miles yesterday, no repercussions from the ankle injury I picked up last month so I'll head out for something a little longer tomorrow. Booked my first race too, the Portsmouth half on February 3rd!
  • A weary, rather pathetic effort from me tonight. Struggled through a very slow 5K. Nothing in the tank. Body is telling me I need another rest day tomorrow. Perhaps after my v long runs now (17+) I will need a 2 day recovery period. You live and learn.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Not necessarily, Will - my Tuesday runs aren't usually too hot but I'm fine by Wednesday. Sometimes the legs just need a shake out, however slow.
    Speaking of which, a pre-dawn 10 miles for me. Felt much better than yesterday. Nothing interesing on the wildlife front, although I could hear the Egyptian geese when I ran past the pond - they've been quite vocal lately so I guess it's mating season.
  • Aarghhh! I've got some kind of groin tweak/strain/spasm. Have felt it being a bit tender lately but today it has just 'gone' as I turned to put something in the cupboard! Bloody hurts. Am icing it - eek! And putting ibuprofen gel on it. Bummer.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • My groin's iffy too, Will. Foam roll your quads - often it's tight quads pulling on the hip flexors. Hopefully it's nothing more than that.
  • Thanks Cal. Will try that. Digging in to my inner shin muscles seems to help. My wife is laughing at my yelps of agony as I try to move around the house!
    I run, therefore I am.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Hope your groin is OK and not serious Will.My wife just rolls her eyes when I'm using the foam roller or icing my achilles .I've brought my foam roller into work,going to roll my glutes later.

Club run last night,effort session,7.74 miles in all.Really enjoyed it as it was my first club session since September.Running can be a very solitary sport,you do most of your training by yourself,so it was nice to see everybody last night.
  • HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Ouch to the foam rolling - hmm - where did I put mine.  Hope it is just a very temporary setback Will.  Don't worry about the 5k - recovery runs should be slow and can help more than a full rest.
    Good 10 miler Cal.  At least dawn isn't too early at this time of year.
    Nice run in company JD.  I missed my group run this week as I needed a day off on Tuesday.  I find it can be difficult to fit a group run to my own training needs but a bit social interaction in a running context does me good.
    8.7 miles for me yesterday at lunchtime.  Legs were happy to trundle along at a steady pace until about a mile from the end of that (inconveniently where the hill also started).  Almost like hitting the wall in a marathon even.  That progressive run on Monday has taken a lot out of me (was expecting it to) and I might have been lacking in fuel a bit (always an issue if I run at lunchtime).  Quite a bit of snow since so I have a good excuse to ditch / postpone the speedwork today (probably).
  • My groin was giving me trouble today as well, Will. I did yoga this morning and then had a little 4 mile run at 12. It was fine during the run but felt wrong once I'd stopped and was doing my cooldown walk. A bit of stretching and some self massage helped.
    I've got a massage booked for Monday so hopefully that will fix a few of my issues. Left shoulder is terrible at the moment (my shoulders are crap - the legacy of doing a lot of heavy bench pressing combined with a computer gaming hobby - and while I don't go to the gym any more, the pilates class I do does feature a lot of planks and some push-ups).
  • Oh no, Cal - hope it clears up. My groin is better today but still feels fragile. At least I can walk pretty much normally today. Just as my mara plan was going so well! Still, plenty of room in it for a few days off, so am going to rest, ice and smother it in ibuprofen gel until Sunday, when I will try to get a decent run in if - it tests out okay. 
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Always good to have room to manoeuvre with a mara plan Will.

8 miles for me earlier, some in slushy snow, including the planned 200m reps on a clear bit of flat, minor road.  A buzzard sitting on a post didn't move until I was within a few metres of it - beautiful plumage.  Legs much better today.
  • No run today - wanted to, but my hip was niggling during the night and common sense got the better of me.
    I did go for a little walk, though, and saw a cormorant. They're not really rare, but I don't often see them on my local common.
  • Another walk (I was trying to hit 10,000 steps, so two walks today...that and I was getting antsy) and ended up chatting to a fellow who was taking photos of the Egyptian Geese. He seemed to know a lot about the pond/lake and its inhabitants. Apparently one of the mean swans was killed by a fox so it looks a bit more hopeful for the other waterfowl (the swans killed a lot of goslings and ducklings). He said the pair's young (remember I mentioned them trying to chase away junior earlier in the year?) are now on Wandsworth Common, which is nice. Then he pointed out a pair of Shoveler Ducks swimming in a circle - I've not seen them before, so that was cool.
    I tried a few running steps on my walk and it doesn't seem to bother the hip - I think my hip has been upset by something I did in yoga or pilates, rather than a recurrence of the TFL problem I had in 2016. So should be good for parkrun tomorrow.