Comrades 2019

Comments

• Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Have a great run Lowrez. Time to stop reading these updates so you can get some sleep - plenty of blog time after you finish:)
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Timezone fever I fear Terry :) have indeed been cruising in darkness for a good while since my last post but simply not drifting off. Maybe I ate too much Martin at the vast all you can eat buffet earlier. Zero nerves or anything of that ilk, really looking forward to this one. Back to the darkness for another try :)

PS fido2dogs! Yes indeed, there is a permanent number club here too, not met anyone to figure how they achieve such status though?
  • mordomordo ✭✭✭
    Good luck Lowrez 💪
  • lowrez: My way of displaying my medals...
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    An installation worthy of inclusion in The (not sure of Le or La, want to say Le but suspect it's really La) Louvre Debra.

Thanks Mordo, not sure if I slept or not, but what the hey; I am up and about, breakfast scoffed and preparations under way. Switching off device now to concentrate on the run. See you on the other side of the finish line folks :)
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Well me watch says 4:48:47. Suppose I should not celebrate until I see the official result with it being that close?
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Nice work lowrez. Perhaps that fried martin is now your secret weapon!!!!!! Enjoy the rest of your trip.

SS - I am doing the one on the Saturday 20th.

becca - hope you falling over had nothing to do with yours NYE celebrations?!!!!!!. Get better soon
  • Woo Hoo well done Lowrez

Marty - I'll see you there then. Will make sure I'm wearing something Comrades that day. It'll be day 8 so I'll be the really slow one with a pained expression :)
  • Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Well done Lowrez.  I hope their timing is at least as accurate as your own! 
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone. Can't locate a results source yet; main website is still only pushing 2018 and 2017 results. The chip was a Mylaps but their site denies all knowledge

Bling is well big, size of my fist...

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I have a Strava request from someone with initials IB to join the RWUKCT; is that one of us?
  • Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Qualifier - well done Lowrez!

"IB" is unknown to me.
  • Debra BourneDebra Bourne ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    lowrez: well done! Fantastic that you have your Comrades qualifier so early. And that's a really nice medal.
    Tadworth 10 done in 1:22:22. I managed to finish in front of two people who finished before me at the Sussex County cross-country in Lloyd Park yesterday. I was really happy to see some people I knew, as that helped me to pace it. Particularly Jo Quantrill - we varied who was ahead and who behind for most of the race, and having her just ahead encouraged me to really push the final mile, and I pipped her at the post (she got the VW60 win and said I'd pushed her as well, so that's good). We were lucky with the weather (near ideal) and underfoot conditions (almost mudless) - not typical for that race, I hear. And I really, really need to work on my uphill speed, as at the moment I can fly the downhills and overtake loads of people, but I'm much too slow on the uphillls and everyone overtakes me!

• Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭
    Congrats Lowrez and Debra

dont know who IB is but now I know of it I have sent a request to join as well. 
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Thanks Peter, you are in :) I will leave IB until identified. We made the new club private because the old open one ended up with billions of people we didn't know in it.

Nice running Debra, we need to form an "Improve your uphill speed" club
  • > @1owrez said:
    > I have a Strava request from someone with initials IB to join the RWUKCT; is that one of us?

Not me either but now I know it exists I’ve requested to join..
  • Congrats Lowrez, great qualifier! All this talk of multiple marathons is impressive, not sure I can imagine doing 10 in 10, but who knows, maybe one day. My current challenge is to run every day in January, not bothered about distance or pace, just trying to get back into habit of regular runs, then next month will do less days but longer distances. Love the medal hanger Debra!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Thanks Thomas, good job you requested too as on review I appeared to have inadvertently let IB in when I approved Peter; things are so tiny on a phone screen, so, you are in and IB is out! He must be well miffed - ha ha!

Hello McH great to hear you are getting some consistent runs stringing together

In further lowrez buffoonery I appear to be running the Liverpool RocknRoll Marathon on May 26th! That's a bit close to the big day isn't it? Do you think I should drop to th'alf?
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Blimey now NP wants in on Strava; I bet he is big mates with IB!
  • Mc Hilly: they are our (built in) wardrobe doors. My husband is concerned that one night we will be woken by an almighty crash as the hinges give way! Good luck for the run-every-day thing - I started one of those once but stopped as I was worried it would encourage me to continue running with a niggle that out to be rested.
    lowrez: depends on your recovery rate, really, whether a marathon 2 weeks before Comrades is or is not too close. You could treat it as a final training run...
  • Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Lowrez, nicely qualified.  You can relax now for London and others.  I'd say you should be easing by 26th May but there are more experienced amongst us.  Keep those legs fresh. A half could form part of your taper (oh no, shouldn't have said that!.....).

Well done Debra, 10 miles is a good distance don't you think?  The shorter races sharpen you up.  10 and 5ks next!  Maybe you are better downhill than up, as long as you gain and don't lose places I don't see a major problem.  It means hill intervals for you otherwise! 
  • Mac3: the 10-miler was good, yes - pushing all the way (and the 5 mile XC on Saturday). But although I gained lots of places on the downhills I was also being passed and losing places on the uphills, so I definitely need to do some hill training. I've started doing speed sessions with the club (or at least I had before the 10-in-10 - now my legs have recovered from that, finally, I must re-start) and I should start running to work again and actually trying to go faster on the uphill.
    Speaking of hills, I must get my entry in for 3 Forts soon. It's 2 weeks before NDW - should be fine!
  • Well done on the qualifier lowrez :), detective Max has taken up the mysterious case of IB and have a suspect identified! I have a follower on Strava who has signed up for his debut Comrades this year with those initials. I could point him to this chat and then maybe he could be re-instated? Is there a DM function on here so I can send you his name?
    Well done Debra on the 10 miler and county XC, good luck SS with the 10 in 10.
    I did my longest run since early October at the weekend - 16 miles, hopefully up over 20 in the next few weeks.
     I've sent off an email to the CMA with my 'Deathbed to Durban' type story (a much shorter piece than my race report!)  in the somewhat egotistical hope they'll publish it in the My Comrades Story section of the website. In hindsight I should have given it that title for dramatic effect  :D
  • Happy new year all! I’ve been lurking but not posting because I managed to lock myself out of RW but I’m back and delighted to see Lowrez has qualified :) 
    SS - my experience of multiday events (although admittedly not 10 in 10) is that it’s all about the personal admin to maximise recovery. Eat both carbs and protein immediately after you finish, and make sure you have both proper evening meals and breakfasts. Compression tights are a big help (sleep in them if you have to) as well as making sure all your kit is ready for the next day - clean socks, water bottles sterilised etc (hygiene is important, you don’t want an upset stomach).  Get any minor niggles, blisters etc sorted out as soon as possible, and massages if they’re available. Then you’ll be good to go the next day. The actual running is the easy part!
  • DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    Well done lowrez!   Impeccable pacing as usual.
  • DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    In addition to the usual medal hangars, special races get their own custom hangars:
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Thanks again folks - the reality on most of my close scrapes is they are real battles to get the job done - I didn't really deserve Xiamen off the back of the amount of training I've been able to put in - Loved the first half and aced the target of 2:20 I was aiming at - the crowd were absolutely fantastic, loving the fact I wasn't a local and so excited to see me spin by - but of course a half is a party every day, just like falling off a log - also my Fenix3 mucked me about again at the beginning of the second half giving me several way too short miles in amongst the sky scrapers of the city, but after Detroit I am well wise to its silky lies - the problem that presents on a course marked in km for a lad that grew up with inches and miles is how to judge pace on the remainder. As it turned out, because of the mounting fatigue, that really didn't matter, the last 10 miles were simply a dearth of a slog forcing out the best pace I could muster whilst not panicking - all my happy bravado and crowd waving ebbed away as all I could do was put me head down, concentrate on effective running form and keep the engines driving out the effort. So pleased so see the 30km, 35km, 40km, 1km, 800m, 400m to go signs and then the finish hoarding. Passing over those split mats and glancing at the watch and knowing the wave towering behind you with the ultimate wipe-out isn't going to break over you just yet gives you something to keep surfing off. Once again my watch told me I ran well in excess of 27 miles; what a fibber!

Folks, I need to let you know what a talent Mr Dannirr is; those medal hangers are all his own custom work! Absolutely amazing Dannirr! I love how the Commrades one has 11 slots; and that larger 90th year commemorative medal - with the larger back-to-back as well - very special pieces! I am going to have to put some effort into counting and displaying - I keep saying "30" every time someone asks how many marathons; I don't really know. I think you are definitely on to something displaying the medals in connected groups Dannirr - so I will actually need to run London a few times on that basis - I will need a medal for the Capitals display, another for Continents (you have to put prestigious locations in that don't you) - another for the Abbott World Marathon Majors display, another for The London Classics, another for...

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

SS your global business empire continues to expand I see!

• Seeing all these medals on display is wonderful. Great workmanship Dannirr! My medal rail (hand-crafted by yours truly out of a bit of a wardrobe rail and some string :#) is banished to the garage, but i'm now tempted to get my marathon & comrades medal(s hopefully) engraved. Anyone know how much it costs per medal - name, time, date? I've no idea if it's £5 or £50!