Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Thank you! 

Yes we will be sponsering Endure and Thunder run. Those events often as a brands, so Mizuno 

Gosport 5kms definitely and hope to grow that a bit this year as well as maybe run - Golden mile of course but same weekend as Endure - I'll be at Endure more than likely

Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Will be at endure all going to plan. Shame the golden mile clashes but can't have it all!

I see the 5ks start april though..so we'll soon be there!!
  • muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Well done on all the long running, and hill reps.

I did my long on Friday, so today was 8m with 5k at threshold effort (18.09 over mostly mud and gravel round the reservoir) in rehearsal for next Sunday's half. For the thread statisticians, that rounded off 48 miles for the week.
  • Ah muddy was going to ask you if the reservoir was a suitable tempo location. How muddy/gravelly is it??
  • StevieWh - It wasn't too bad today as it's been dry lately. If it's been raining there's plenty of puddles and slippy sections. There's a 400m section across the dam wall that's tarmac, in a 2.5k loop. If you're chasing pace, I think Cannon Hill is better. My threshold effort round there end of November was 17.42 whereas today's run round the Res was obviously slower for the same effort.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Hi Scott from me too. Pleased that you and your family are bearing up well and of course good luck to young Lucas having been to A & E.

20kg's! crikey!

RE Matt:
    I last ran this out-and-back route on the 18th Nov, which is basically uphill out and downhill back. Best part is that I ran 8:08/mi for 76.2% MaxHR in November, whereas today I ran 7:38/mi for 76.7% MaxHR - all-but the same effort, but 30s/mi faster! It's starting to come back 

This is the sort of thing I used to use a HR monitor for. It's a measure of fitness gained without having to lay down a race to prove the point.

Bus, Andrea's fast alright, but the way she is fast is a bit disconcerting. In the middle of that hill session I handed her the Garmin and she did a couple of climbs as a means of comparison. I didn't expect such a result though.

Ok, she was much faster than I thought she would be, but the Garmin trace was telling. It showed a rippled line as my average pace was all over the place as I fought and flapped up the hill, whereas hers was a smooth line with hardly a difference from bottom to top.

A question of style and efficiency. 

Anyway, I've been running with her most of the past two weeks and tbh, I've been operating on the edge. Lets face it, most guys of 58 aren't doing this sort of thing.

XC could be good for a while. My outings off road has found the usual muddy areas have dried out. Road flats and trail shoes suffice.

🙂

• I don't know if you follow Fast Running or not but, horror of horrors, they publish the fastest 10 parkruns each week and on Saturday Zac Randall was the fastest male and Pippa Woolven was second fastest female behind a new "world record" of 15:50 for Charlotte Arter. Both of them local runners at Wycombe Phoenix.

https://www.fastrunning.com/events-and-races/parkrun/10-fastest-uk-parkrun-times-on-saturday-5th-january-2019/22085

As the article says, with county xc there may have been a few fast runners away.
  • Cheers Muddy, I'll stick to Cannon Hill then when it gets lighter on Friday afternoons.

Pulled up in my 12 miler yesterday as I had a sharp pain in my right calf. Seems to have been the right decision though as it just feels a bit tight now with no pain. Changed tomorrows session for an easy 4 mile so hopefully it will be ok

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    That's sharp one mud well done.

Morning chuckle supplied by a couple of clubmates arguing on fb. One of our vets has a quite unintentional im sure, knack of rubbing people up wrong way by producing fast results but lathering them in comments about cruising and getting bored etc. Usually with lots of "ill" talk before.

Normally its nudge and wink fare but this time someone mentioned it's not fair on teammates doing this so often and the guy exploded at him😄😄
  • Shame Pippa wasn't bolstering the County champs at Wycombe - presuming she's Bucks. she may not be fully fit etc, but she's a really good xc runner.

Anyway - Hughenden Park Saturday, Beds/Bucks xc champs - Good to describe a course that half of you actually know! Conditions were perfect - dry course with no water in the stream and not too chilly.

So it was one 3/4 lap and 4 full ones -this year 7.3 miles, so slightly under to make up for the 8.5 last year! started off down the middle of the field towards the bottom, through the non stream, then made our way up the side long drag next to Coates Lane, then up the short steep bit to the hedge, back down 200m along the hedge, the a hairpin turn and back up the hill again. Then steep down towards the bottom field, tight right turn, across the non stream, then left towards the finish and the start of the next lap. I'm sure a few of you would have been able to follow that :)

As usual started off steady, hoping that my ankle would hold up ok (which it did). As quite often happens, the first lap felt hard, but I was slowly making my way through a few. On the 2nd lap noticed the Stopsley guy that had pipped me at Luton so tried to get up to him, which I did during the 3rd lap. Underfoot was good, so I noticed how much easier the long drags were compared to the muddy one 5/6 years ago.

On the last lap we both went past  V45 Chiltern harriers guy - the one that just does parkruns, no long runs (he told me after), but churns out amazing xc performances, but the Stopsley guy got away, downhill he was ridiculous so made up the 6 seconds he beat me by (the told me he had dabbled with fell running, which explains the downhills!!)

So ended up 6th Beds, 1st V45 and we were 2nd team to Bedford and 1st V40 team - decent days work from all. Tortuous 10 miles yesterday - probably the result of a doing a xc with the arse end of a cold, quads a bit achy too. Ankle seems fine now - doing wabble board every night seems to have really helped.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Good performance that Simon. Knowing Hughenden well, it's a tough course the number of times you went up the hill!

16:32 at Black Park by Pippa is very impressive Philip. Wasn't that long ago that she would only beat me by a few seconds, but now it's a few minutes :smile:

Nice threshold muddy - which reservoir is that?

Feeling lurgied up today - hope it doesn't get any worse  :/

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Good one simon. That's one heck of a long course. And not even just 4 laps, 3/4 of a 5th too. Garhhh

Mid 16 at black park is superb and must mean she can do low 16 elsewhere surely?
    People tell me black park is a reasonably fast course but ive certainly not found that.
  • Nice racing Simon, sounds like you put in a solid shift. Did that see you take home a couple of items of silverware then? 

Nice tempo Muddy, fast running on what sounds like not too fast a route. 

Stevie, hope the calf issue isn't a serious one.

Scott - good to see you back posting, hope you find a nice balance in 2019. 

Backed up Saturdays 3x5km with the first 20 miler of the year. Ran the first 7 at 7:30s which seemed about right, but then joined up with the club for their 90 minute out and back and slipped into a group running around 7:10s.

That's one of the good things running with a bigger club, I'm running in the 7:10mm long run group and there's about 20 or so up the road ahead of us! Plenty of faster people to try and keep up with. 67 miles for the week as well. Decent start.
  • Good effort there Si and a relatively verbose report.

Good work finding a fast lady to watch whilst you do your hill reps Ric!

Seems like a wise move on the 12 miler Stevie, I've walked in a couple of runs with hammy strains before now and I always find it's cleared up pretty quicky.

First 20 miler of the year on the 6th day of the year Joe, I am slightly envious of your club depth. I'd like to have a bit more competition and some people to chase.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Reg, must have been nearly thirty years ago I was asked by her 'team' if I could run with her on her easy days?

Two reasons, the first was so she didn't have to be hassled by idiots in cars making all sorts of suggestions. The other was that I was known to be so crap slow, that no matter how fast I tried to run, there's no way could I get her tired out.

If she ran with guys from Harrow AC, it'd always be a burn up as they attempted to drop her and her not 'avin' it. It was wrecking her training.

I was considered a safe pair of hands.

My first run with her ended after a mile with me on my face as I tried to keep up. I still find that funny. There's me shattered on the deck and her asking 'Are you ok?' without a hint of fatigue.

I had been warned about this.

Slower since. Much slower.

Now she's gone home I can go back to plodding about.

🙂

• Cheers All - Yes Joe took 3 medals and the Vets shield - but that needs to be shared about as you do. Bus - We did actually start up a hill years ago (I think it's the 3rd time I've raced the counties there). Just remember it being sunny with a silly start.

Ric - Remember my dad telling me that AW caught these two runners he knew over the Purbecks on the classic Sunday morning long run. Obviously they didn't know who she was and were surprised they couldn't keep up with her ;)

Book recommendation - 'The First Four minutes' - Roger Bannister. coach gave me it after the handicap at xmas, it originally came out in 1955, now with added extras. Really great insights on coaching and his early years.

• One of my first running "bibles": a complimentary copy from "Young Athlete Magazine" in 1968. As you can see it has been well used. An interesting read! 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Good mileage Joe and 3x5km at those paces is a good quality workout. How you follow with 20 at that pace, I really don't know. That will be where I peak, not kick-off affairs for London !

Well done on the racing Simon. I can't pretend to understand the course or the competition though it does remind me a Bedford chap was 30.xx at the race in Barcelona. Which is what Dean will be running when he gets his Vaporfly's on at Easter ;) Actually does anyone else think it sounds suspiciously like Dean may be holding them back for a certain marathon ?

Bus, Edgbaston Reservoir. Great Run Local do a Sunday parkrun equivalent there and usually I incorporate it into my long run as a faster section. They also do another (hilly) course nearby that starts an hour later, so for a testing long run I just include both runs. It's like New Year's day parkrun doubles every Sunday round our way.
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Muddy, a marathon? maybe one day...but not any time soon :).  in fact i would say SG has a better chance of running a marathon first!

congrats simon on the vets/county champs

and lots of good training going on by all
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Muddy, Dean's on the 800/1500 at the moment, he's got a decade before attempting the marathon :D

Our club actually have a ballot to get into the Brighton marathon, and they didn't  even cover the places, and I still can't say I was tempted!

And no-one wants to even think about the length of report we'd be talking!!

Last day off work today then, 6 done, 4 to do shortly.
    Should probably get a straight forward tempo in tomorrow job. I'd got up to 3 and 4 miles 6ish, so can look to progress that up.
    Other option is something like 3x10mins threshold. Will have to decide. Easier mentally that one, in theory, if a slower pace.

• As your training for a half SG I'd say a continuous tempo would be more beneficial. In my limited experience anyway. I'd love to see the marathon report from you! We could all chip in to get it bound as I'm sure it would be the length of a short novel
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    It would for certain take longer than the running of one.

I can see it now..
    "I said i wouldnt ever do one..but.."
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Ps continuous job it is. Will tell myself 5m and ease in.

Ie not a 1.22 first lap!
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Usual high calibre racing Simon and nice to see the NY resolution to expand your race reports ;)

Lots of good training all round elsewhere and some impressive distances being covered. Exact opposite in my own cases as I've been lurgied up since NYD and still feel rough now. By the end of Saturday my only 3 runs of the year were all parkruns after I tried to avoid another Groundhog day by forcing myself out to have a bash at Mole Valley Saturday. The course at Denbies Wine Estate was as picturesque as I'd been led to expect (see http://www.blog7t.com/2018/05/mole-valley-parkrun.html). That guy can write longer reports than even SG and details his research into the history of where he is running (your next assignment SG!). Unfortunately my run was predictably poor and couldn't even break 20 mins (though it is quite a hilly course). Definitely a course worth a bit of parkrun tourism though if any of you are ever in the area or fancy a drive out. 

Really need to start feeling better soon as January targets and prep for Wokingham Half couldn't have got off to a much worse start :/  At least I have my free GFA place there, so reasonably happy to ditch it in favour of Fleet at the end of March if I don't start distance training soon (last run over about 7 miles was Gosport Half back in Nov).    
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

That is a long report. It's pages deep before he's even set off!

Am sure you won't lose too much from a dodgy week Pete!

On a completely different note, I use the garmin 235, and just checking for historical runs, I was surprised to see just today's in there.

Anyone know if I've accidentally clicked something that says only store today? Or is this what happens if it's full up? Any ideas.

It's all on strava, so I can transfer stuff from there (use an excel sheet as the master!)...but still thought i'd ask!

• I think they delete the oldest first, not all, when it's full. If it's all gone you may have accidentally deleted it or done a master reset? I once wiped my old Garmin by holding down the on/off button.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Maybe I've done that. But if I've done that, I've done it twice in a few weeks!

Will see after tomorrow's runs if I have 2 days, and if not, delete the lot, to see if it is some sort of space thing.

I do notice the satellites take longer these days. I have it set to both, (some Russian one as well apparently) and it used to take about 5 seconds.

Now can often be minutes, or maybe it feels like that as it always seems to be on the coldest or darkest days!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Is it remembering the date and time each time you switch it off SG?

Tidy long run that Joe :smile:

Pete - hoep the lurgy buggers off soon (mine too!).
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Alehouse, I was given another book about RB. The first part I found interesting, but once he'd left running, I left the book.

Pete, Bus, get well soon. Must be something about this winter. The number of people who seemed wiped out by bugs.

I seem to have avoided everything. Even the others at home had something, and all my close neighbours but I guess spending a life in dirt has built up my immune system. However, it's easy for me to avoid anyone at close range these days. 

Good! I've always hated close contact with numbers of people in confined spaces, where some actively seek that sort of thing out. Even pay money to do so  ;)

SG, a marathon is only an ordeal if you try racing one. Your long run average pace will get you around no problem at all. Just grab a drink and a sandwich at some point and it'll be a laugh.

Garmins. A new Forerunner 30 for me. Picks up the satellite in an instant. The old one (110) I had to leave on a post for a couple of minutes until it made up it's mind to lock on. An even older Garmin I have... forget it. 

Combination of device and current software. If marketing are playing the game they'll ensure an old device becomes such a hassle to use (after a few years) that you'll go and get a new one.

🙂

• Simon Coombes 2Simon Coombes 2 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019

Yes Pete - Good report wasn't it. I only like typing them properly at work so a bit tight for time! Hope you and Bus feel better soon. I have run a couple of races at Denbies - a Surrey league and a County champs before I moved up here, they were bastard courses, especially a really steep hill in the top corner.

SG - I wouldn't read a marathon report from you - I'd read it as I timed the last one I did, I'd read a bit at every 5k to see how you were doing ;) Dean ought to do  marathon before he's too old I think, a 72.00 half man should be able to do 2.35 odd....

Muddy - Bedford have loads of good runners, but they are in a bit of a fallow period at the moment tbh - they'll be back strong again I'm sure