New Mature Runners Thread

Comments

• Happy New Year to you all :smiley:

I'm all behind with my posting, and some of you have posted twice since my last post :blush:

Exhausted, hope you will be able to stick with your new running schedule!  Glad you manged a 6 miler.

JB, forest running is very inspirational , and I'm so lucky to live only 6 minutes run from it. Your 22.14 parkrun was very impressive, especially as you have been suffering with injuries. My best parkrun time is 22.08 back in 2013. I would probably struggle to go sub 29 minutes now. It's over a year since my last parkrun so I must attempt another one soon. I have run 42 parkruns, so must try for the 50 and get the t shirt.

Red, I agree that being sensible is a pain in the whatsit, but it does make sense. I've been sensible for over a year, but at last am beginning to remove my sensible hat!

Aquarius, well done for completing your hilly, muddy 10k cross country race. It sounds the sort of course that I like.

Some of you may remember Giuliana and I getting lost during the Salisbury 54321 33k multi terrain race, two or three years ago. The signage for the difference distances is always poor, and every year runners get lost. I was running in great pain from 6 miles onward, suffering with pain down my right side and right arm, incurred falling off a gate during a social run the week before. Every step sent a shooting pain. It was a very hot day, but Giuliana kept me going. We reached Salisbury town centre successfully, but missed a poorly placed sign, and ran on, eventually having to turn back. I think we ran an additional 2 miles, which only prolonged the agony. I was able to repay Giuliana by helping her through the last few miles of the New Forest Marathon later that year, where she hit the wall at 22 miles.

I ran 10 miles in the forest with Sarah and Mike on Monday, and 5.6 miles on road with Helen yesterday. My first runs on consecutive days for about 18 months. I said that I had removed my sensible hat!

• WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone and Happy New Year

HS - Margaret was only unwell for one day. We went to Warwick on Saturday to deliver the 'missing' presents. Any cd's I've bought recently have been on Amazon .. I normally buy the copy with 'auto-rip' included which delivers an MP3 version to your Amazon Music account. FYI - although dvd players are not being sold by some retailers, you can get blu-ray players or blu-ray recorders which will happily play dvd's so all is not lost! Well done re your recent running. Don't know about your local parkrun but here in Cheltenham, when you reach 50 or 100 they offer you a red cloak & gold helmet (so you run dressed as a centurion!).

Exhausted - "I see my Mary-Ann walking awaaaaaayyyyyyy" (twiddly guitar bit!) :) Just to note - even though I'm running regularly again now (apart from my xmas break) I'm not managing 23 miles in a week. Reading on a bit further (and as mentioned below) "Who Knows Where The Time Goes" would probably be a contender for my Desert Island Discs choices. Well done re your 6ml run.

JB6 - with music, I always say I like what I like. So you'll be pleased to hear I have a collection of Fairport Convention albums in my collection (going all the way back to Full House & Unhalfbricking). Well done re parkrun - shame about going wrong and feeling sore afterwards and then doing another 6 miler. Reading on, well done re your 22.14 time.

Red - good idea to give the marathon a miss with your sore foot (I saw Hipps was one of those runners you were envious of). As mentioned above, Margaret's virus was a short-term thing. Good luck with Mary Massage Lady sorting out your foot problem.

Mok - Happy New Year to you too. I can just imagine getting lost on the fells - I sometimes have to 'take stock' of where I am when walking, let alone when running.

Aquarius - I'd never seen HMV so busy (obviously lots of people spending gift cards while they could). Whoops re your story about that random cyclist at the 10k race. Apparently, at a local 10ml race some clubmates did a few days ago, the marshals hadn't been briefed properly and lots of runners went astray - the race organiser is keeping a very low profile! Sorry to hear the 10K was hard work but well done for persevering with it.

I got out yesterday for my first run of the year (just 4 mls). Yesterday I entered the Corsham 10K which is in April.

The repairs to the bowls club floor were finished just before xmas and it re-opened in time for the xmas party (floor in corner was sinking - wet & dry rot found when they investigated) so I'll go along after lunch for my first session of the year and hopefully some others will be there too.

• HS - excellent news and great progress. I think the major risk now is over-doing it. (Oh how easy it is to give advice to others that you don't follow yourself!) Your Salisbury experience sounds horrendous, but there and again so does...……

Aquarius' - ……..x-c. But as you say the 4 miler will seem easier. I just avoid them unless there's been a dry summer!

Will try to get out for a trot today. For the last 2 years I've headed a league-table for runners on my football team's forum. Obviously I'm not one of the faster guys but, through the magic of the AG, I've just managed to hold off all-comers. However, yesterday I was humbled by a rival who must have eaten less over Xmas than I did. At 63 he's a 3:50 marathon runner but never been quick over short distances....until yesterday so the competitive juices are now flowing...…….Interestingly he's only been running for a few years compared to my 35 and seems to be relatively injury free. More than a coincidence?

• AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    HS - 15.6 miles in two days, that's a great start to the new year, but don’t lose sight of that sensible hat. We don’t want any more injuries.

JB isn’t it strange how a bit of competition motivates us?  Get that top spot back! Incidently I’ve been running for about 10 years and have had my fair share of injuries, I’m of the opinion (rightly or wrongly) that seasoned runners manage to keep injuries at bay better than us newbies. Possibly due to having a better endurance base built up over the years, and developed at a time when the body was more able to cope with the demands of training? Who knows. 

WtnMel good to hear Margaret was only ill for one day (although quite long enough when that one day is Xmas day!)  How did the bowling go?

Forgot to mention yesterday - I nearly took the wrong path during the 10k, but fortunately I’d glanced up a moment or two earlier and noticed the guy in front of me had turned right just before the path started, so I followed him and therefore didn’t end up going the wrong way (which would have cut off a chunk of the course), but the girl who’d been behind me suddenly appeared ahead of me about 2 or 3 hundred yards later which was rather annoying as we’d been having a bit of a battle and I was pleased to have dropped her, or so I thought. Presumably she made the mistake we’d managed to avoid, and had taken that “short cut”. As there were no marshals about to point out the correct route I’m trying to be charitable about it and assume it was a genuine mistake, even though she re-joined the course at a right angle to the flow of runners and would be able to see the rest of us had taken a different route. In the end she beat me by a few yards, but made no mention of the incident when I went up to congratulate her later, so presumably she wasn’t aware of what had happened. (Do I sound bitter and twisted? You bet your boots I am - I hate to think someone might have been cheating)
  • Did a 8k, 4 lap night race 2 weeks ago and a young woman  "appeared" in front of me on the 3rd lap from between some cars. I hoped she had just stopped for a pee or something, rather than cheating.

• I don't think I've ever got lost on a race. I suppose I haven't done the little club or cross country ones. I can see how it can happen, though.

Mokshaeight: Always difficult for us ladies - taking a wee break. 

JB: That's a good time for a park run (are they 6k?) You're obviously a sprinter.

Red: Your heel problem does sound puzzling. Hopefully the physio will identify it. I parked up, then ran, leaving my shopping in the car, by the way. 

HS: That all sounds very good running. It's amazing how you've persevered and come back. You must be quite an example to other runners in your club.

I got up quite late this morning and put on my running gear. Such was my procrastination that I did all the housework. By 2.00 I'd run out of excuses, so went out and ran 8 miles. The ghastliness was relieved by running past a field full of lapwings. They took off all together with that lovely flappy wing-beat and crossed my path against a milky sun.  

• Exhausted: I've not seen a lapwing for years. You must live in the sticks? All the birds around here have smokers' coughs! Parkruns are always 5k but I'd love it if I could do 6k in that time!

Mok - I once ran a 10K (funnily enough, the Newport one which must have been down your way?) where the guy in front cut every corner. At the end I felt like congratulating him for running a fast 9k!

Aquarius - I tend to be of the opinion that running seeks out your weak points and makes them worse (in my case my weakest point is 'sanity'). I am indeed terribly competitive. 

Mel - that April 10k will be a good spur to getting out training. Have you done that event before? I've tend to like going to new events (although my town's parkrun is just too tempting) if possible.

Managed a hill repeat session today. it was hard but (as Aquarius would predict!) I was motivated by the thought of my new rival sitting with his feet up somewhere.
  • ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭
    Happy New Year to all mature runners.
    Red, that's a real nusiance, that sore foot. I hope Mary Massage Lady can sort it out. Youngest son (he who did the 2018 London marathon) has had what seems to be pf for weeks if not months, sleeps with his foot in a splint, does all the recommended exercises, nothing seems to shift it. He's very fed up.
    I remember those little silver threepenny bits. They were usually wrapped in greasproof paper for purposes of inclusion in the Christmas pudding. I imagine they had a real silver content, as I think 1/- pieces did until some time in the '50s.
    Exhausted - 23 miles in the first week? What sort of beginner programme is that? I restarted with a C25K, and the first session involved two running segments of 5 minutes each, interspersed with walking.
    I've gone wrong in several parkruns. Once, because for some reason a marshall near a crucial turning had gone AWOL - I nearly missed being recorded at all, because the tail runner had gone past the turning before I'd realised my mistake and got back on course. There's supposed to be a parkrun starting up soon in Builth, which is a mere 7 miles away (at present my nearest is Newtown, 30 miles) but I don't know exactly when.  I did 370 miles in 2018, and am hoping for at least 400 this year.
  • Evening all.  Thought I'd better let the Forum know I'm still here - and running - at the start of another year which is somewhat amazing.  To me!   As I've said before, I tend to lay low for there's no way I can compete with you lot and it's rather embarrassing.  But I read all your postings.
    On the subject of getting lost, I never have but once took advantage of a crowd that did.  A marshall on top of Buckden Pike sent runners in the wrong direction in a 25 mile race round the Yorkshire Dales.  Fortunately I'd reccied it, took no notice of the marshall, and went on to finished 6th overall ahead of some top class runners in a quality field.
    JB6:  Strangely, other than in 4 Parkruns, I only ran one 5K race in my entire racing career, a BMAF Championship at Chorley in 2007 when I took the M75 title in 22.24 - which is why I'm wondering how old you are?
    Red:  I hope it isn't Plantar Fascitis you've got, or it could take some time to heal.  I did various exercises for mine, mainly rolling a golf ball around under my foot, and taking anti-inflammatories, but to no avail.  After months of pain my doctor persuaded me to have a steroid injection (very painful) and it cured it immediately.
    Columba: Would recommend the injection for your youngest son if all else fails.
    Exhausted:  Do you live by the coast?  We don't see lapwings until late February/March when we welcome them back to the Yorkshire Dales.  Likewise Curlews though we see/hear them on the coast in winter. A beautiful sound.
    Hillstrider:  All behind with your postings?  You must have posted 50 times at least since my last contribution!  You sound to be running well again after that long injury.  Well done you.  Keep it up
    Aquarius: Lucky that 10K of yours wasn't muddy as well as hilly.  You ran well in spite of screaming calves.  X-C races can be an absolute pig.  I hated them!
    Anyone can catch up with my meagre perambulations by Googling: https://oldrunningfox.blogspot.com
    Here's wishing all of you on the Forum a very healthy and Happy New Year with lots of enjoyable running.
  • RF - that's enormously impressive. I'm a youngster at 64. My best 5k beyond 60 was 20.20. I was just beaten by a V70 a few days back - I think he's represented GB. There are some very fine runners out there!

Columba - that's a good annual mileage. I recall that you were pretty crocked a while back so this represents a recovery. Great news about the new parkrun!
  • JB6:  In that same 5K Championship back in 2007 Steve Charlton finished only 17 secs behind me (22.41) to to take the MV80 title.  He was a polite grey haired unassuming fellow you'd never take for a runner if you met him in the street.  But boy, could he run...
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Well hello MrFox! If people saw the photos of you and your lovely lady scaling mountainsides they wouldn't believe your age :wink:

JB6 and you're another speedy boy. I've never raced a 5k but my fastest Race4Life was 26 minutes. MUst do a few parkruns when I'm mended.

Columba, commiserations to your brother but very well doen to you for your mileage. Good news about the new parkrun.

Exhausted, and there's me thinking you're superwoman carrying your shopping whilst running! We see Lapwings at nesting time each year. They swoop around their nesting sites down in the valley and I love their call.

Moks. LOL at the sudden appearance of the lady - we ladies have to be more discreet than you boys!

Aquarius, sadly we've seen a fair bit of cheating in lapped marathons but we always report it when spotted.

WtnMel, you're already ahead of me in the running stakes for 2019.

TE, fab news that you're getting back your form xxx

Re the pesky PF, I'm hoping that it is just a mild version of it and that Mary's magic fingers will get things moving again as I know many people who've stopped running as a result of it. My mileage last year was a very annoying 2086 which should have been a much more pleasing palindrome if I'd done my marathon!

• Evening all,

A lot of posts again since my last one, which is good. Hope we can keep up regular posting to keep the thread going.

WtnMel, glad that Margaret was only ill for one day, but a shame that it was on Christmas Day. :neutral:
    The Brockenhurst parkrun only gives out t shirts for 50 and 100 runs. Good luck with your training for the Corsham 10k.  Do you have a target time in mind?

JB, you are absolutely right, but I am another one that doesn't always take his own advice.
    Yes, I really suffered in that Salisbury Race, and probably if there had been a marshall "to hand" I would have dropped out. I think the only marshalls were at road crossings. I eventually got to the stage where I had got so far, and thought that I would finish, even if it was on hands and knees :anguished:

Aquarius, thanks, I have my sensible hat close to hand!
    I hate cheats too, especially those that use me as a pacemaker and then sprint past me at the finish line. I don't mind so much when they say things like " Thanks mate, you paced me to a pb."

Moks, the mind boggles.

Exhausted, I haven't been to a club session since my injury in 2016, but I'm fortunate that many club members still want to run with me. I think that may be a factor in keeping me going. I'm only too happy to be a pacemaker for them on training runs :smiley:
    Well done for your 8 mile run.

JB again, hill reps are excellent training for parkruns. I prefer to do hilly runs, working hard up hill and trying to maintain the effort over the top. That is a classic tactic for overtaking other runners, as many ease up when they get to the top.

Columba, good to hear that you are still running and intending to increase your annual mileage this year. Is your knee any better and are you still swimming and spinning?

Rf, I only ran three 5k's in the days before parkruns and my pb was 18.08 in The Victoria Cup (Portsmouth)
    Thanks for your encouragement, and I hope that I'm still running at your age, if I live that long. My mum lived to 91 and dad to 90, so it's hopeful.

Red, thanks, I think I've got my mojo back, and had to restrain myself this morning from running further than 10.25 miles in the forest. I don't want to end up back at square one. The sensible hat is never far away these days.
    I hope Mary's magic fingers can "work their magic!" I don't know how you could cope without being able to run. I don't think I could either. I think that may have been another factor making me persevere.
    Your 2018 mileage was nearly double mine, but I'm hoping to run further this year, all being well. 
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

OUCH! Mary certainly got right in there and had a good old prodding/stretching/manipulation session. As I expected my ankle is stiff and my achilles/calves on both sides are tight (bad redhead for not doing enough stretches). She's given me some stretches and both a tennis ball (from Wimbledon 2014 - she does massage there each year) and a golf ball to try on my right arch. I'm allowed to run if I feel OK and have to let her know how I'm progressing after 7 days then she can decided when to have another prod at me.

The last time I had an enforced lay-off was for my sprained ankle many years ago.

TE, I may grumble a bit but knowing me I'll be irritatingly optimistic and just get on with it :wink:
  • That sounds hopeful Red, fingers crossed you’ll be back running soon. Try to enjoy your enforced lay off if you can.
  • Redhead - hope that does the trick. With your mileage I'm amazed (and impressed) at your lack of injuries. You must be a sturdy lass! (This is a compliment!)

HS - funny you should mention the guys (and girls) that use you as a pacemaker only to burn you off in the last few metres. It IS annoying but (in my case) it's a matter of 'casting the first stone' - the only reason why I don't do it is that I've got no sprint finish these days! It's funny because on one of my 'other' forums (I'm a tart) someone was complaining (not wholly seriously) that one of the other posters had done this to him. I then had to remind him that he (the complainant) had done exactly to same to me earlier in the year. It's a good natured though.

Another flat parkrun for me tomorrow. The wind is the major factor but looks like it might be relatively gentle. I 'need' to get back down to something like 21:xx.
  • Happy new year everyone.
    The swelling has nearly gone on down my ankle.Im hoping to try a short run in a couple of weeks.

• Damien - pleased to hear this.

Well, a 22.14 for me today. Exactly to the second the same time as my most recent effort so a tad frustrating as you think of all the places you could have shaved a second off! The good news was that I felt stronger on the second half (I usually fade) and my 74.74% gave me 8th in a field of 487. But the words of the school report ring in my ears: 'should do better'.
  • That time is decent well done.
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Afternoon peeps, I've been a good redhead and have done my stretches but have been procrastinating about the ball rolling under my arch 'cos I know it's going to hurt! #wimp!

JB6, lol at me being a lass but I am indeed sturdy :wink: Good time for your 5k and age grading. Now you need to go sub 22.

Damian, glad to hear your ankle is improving.

Off to roll the ball........
  • A cold gloomy day here. We went for a walk this morning to get ourselves pepped up. I can see the gas fire going on soon.

I wimped out of a 9 mile run yesterday. I just couldn't face changing into my gear in an ice-cold bedroom. I'll do it on Sunday instead, I told Mr E. He paused, mid-algorithm, and looked at me doubtfully. I did, however, go for a 2 hour walk huddled up in thick jacket and hat and was lucky enough to see the lapwings again.

I wish I had your get-up-and-go HS.

JB. Well done on equalling your time. At least you're not slipping backwards. Your competitive instinct will win through in the end. I do live in a rural village in a valley sweeping down to the sea. However, I don't think anyone lives in the sticks these days. The madding crowd, in large numbers, always seem to find us. 

Nice to hear from you Columba. Did you get your plumbing problem sorted out? 
    Any more visits to the grandchildren?

Damien: Good news about the improving ankle. 

WtnMel: Thanks for filling in those lyrics for me. You can't beat a bit of twiddly guitar. I see that you're still keeping your bowls interest up. I heard on the radio a couple of days ago that they've changed some golf rules. Perhaps, when you have your High Noon with your friend, you can win on a technicality of which he is unaware. 

Red: It must be frustrating to have an injury now. I'm sure your optimism will see you through. Fingers crossed. Roll that ball around. Get Mike to make up a special "roll-the-ball" tune for you. 

• Evening all,

Red, one can never do enough stretching to prevent and cure injuries. I put consistent stretching down to my relative lack of injuries in nearly 40 years of running, until my knee injury in June 2016. I hope it does the trick for you.
    Roll out the ball - Kate Bush :wink:

JB, well done with your parkrun. Always satisfying to run a negative split.

Exhausted, it was minus one degree first thing this morning, and I was glad that I wasn't running. Well done for walking for 2 hours in the cold. Hope you mange to run tomorrow.
    I'm making the most of things whilst the knee appears to be behaving. 

I'm running in the forest tomorrow morning with Alice. I'm hoping that she won't push the pace too hard.
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Good morning all,

Been a good girl and done ball rolling, icing, calf stretches and hamstrings already and will repeat twice more throughout the day. I'm also wearing some short toeless compression socks which I found on Amazon and they feel quite nice.

Exhausted you are excused your run only because you did a good long walk :wink:

TE, have fun in the forest. It's rather dark and gloomy here so I hope it's nicer there - look out for any interesting fungi as there are some beauties about at the moment.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone

JB6 - impressive marathon time from that 63-year old. Yes, entering 10K races certainly concentrates the mind. I've done this one before (Corsham 10K) as it has a nice atmosphere to it - and the goody bag includes a bottle of beer :)

Aquarius - best to describe the bowls as 'mixed' (everyone busy adjusting to the new floor). I would have 'had a word' with any potential cheat like that woman .. she must have realised with the lack of runners ahead of her?

Mok - given the darkness, difficult to know why that woman 'appeared' in front of you.

Exhausted - loving the fact you eventually ran out of excuses and 'had' to do that 8ml run. I love lapwings - saw some male ones displaying once (tumbling out of the sky) on a walk on the Marlborough Downs. There's a series on BBC4 starting on Fri you may be interested in .. first one is "Stewart Copeland on Drums" and I think the 2nd and 3rd feature bass guitarists (Tina Weymouth for one) and lead guitarists.

Columba - similar mileage here in 2018 and I'm hoping to clock at least 500 miles in 2019.

RF - good to see you are still posting on here.

Red - our club handicap races are over 5K but my best time was at a different race (Chippenham River Run) when I clocked 27:45. Glad to hear that Mary massage lady was able to help you .. and glad to hear you've been a good redhead and done your stretches.

HS - my PB for a 10K is 59:55 from 2013 (when I was 61) where I came in a few seconds behind some 80-year old called Bruce Tulloch. So my target time is as close to 60 mins as possible (but will probably be around 63 mins). Finishing a race on hands & knees? Thought I was going to have to do that at my last Bath HM when I was stricken with cramps in both calves ;)

Damien - glad to hear your ankle is almost better.

Unfortunately, no running possible for me since Thu (too busy with family 'do' preparations and clearing-up afterwards!).

Seeing my son tomorrow and golf on Tue so may go for a little jog-ette on Wed but next 'proper' run will be with the club on Thu morning.
  • Got up this morning. I think runners are supposed to warm up with stretching and stuff. My warm up consists of moaning, whinging, a muttering of expletives and aimless wandering around the house. Anyway, I ran 10 miles - the run I used to do regularly 2 or 3 times a week, to Branscombe. Even managed a sprint finish. Saw the lapwings again. I agree that they are very special birds. 

I've got to do a couple of days of grandson sitting this coming week so I can't see myself doing much running. 

Running Fox: There's no need to be modest on here. I think we're all at your feet when it comes to running achievements. 

HS: My guess is that you were well able to keep up with Alice. 

WtnMel: I saw Police a couple of times in their early days. It was clear, then, that Sting was doing everything and his two band members were not offering him much at all. Anyway, I'll be interested to see what Copeland has to say about drumming. I must say, Keith Moon was the most exciting drummer I ever saw (three times), but he was also a pretty ghastly character, apparently.  

Red: Well done on the exercises. I expect that the enforced rest gives you opportunities for all your other pursuits. 
  • Morning all,

Red, good to hear that you are persisting with your stretches etc. they will speed up your recovery. We passed a dead pony in a field just off the road. There was a note attached to it advising that they were aware. I presume that it had been struck by a car. Very sad and there are many animal deaths in the forest every year.

WtnMel, I hope you meet your 500 mile target this year. I had my photo taken with Bruce Tulloch a few years ago which appeared in the local paper. He was presenting the prizes at the Victory 5 mile road race. I kept the clipping, but unfortunately can't find it now.
    Good luck with the golf with your new clubs.

Exhausted, well done for your 10 miler with a sprint finish.
    I'm afraid my 10 miler in the forest with Alice didn't go very well. For some reason, I didn't seem to have anything in the tank, and was really struggling. Alice had to keep waiting for me to catch up. The run was 17 minutes slower than when I ran the same route by myself on Thursday. I think perhaps I had overdone things, running 36 miles in the week, Monday to Sunday. 

JB, I have a sneaky peek at the over 60's training thread from time to time, and noticed that there has been some discussion about Vo2max. I've also got a Forerunner 235 which records Vo2 max on Garmin Connect. I only discovered this fact a few weeks ago, and my highest is 48 which apparently is in the top 5% for my age category and sex. You and others on that thread may be interested to note that the Vo2 max ratings for men and women in the various age categories are available on runandtricoach.com 

My car has been collected this morning for an mot and service, so I won't be running today. Probably need a rest day or two.
  • john bateman 6john bateman 6 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    HS - thanks for the V02 max guidance and well done for your seriously impressive score. That 10 miler does sound a bit worrying but you have been overdoing it of late. Rest-time!

Exhausted - love your warm-up routine. A sprint finish after 10 miles is not to be scoffed at; well done. (As I've got older I've noticed that 'sprint' is a relative term, in my case at least. Chasing around after your grandson will keep you fit.

Mel - like the bottle of beer in the goodie bag. And well deserved. 'A little jog-ette' is a delightful term. Bruce Tulloch: legend! (didn't he run across America on bare feet??)

Redhead - good disciplined approach to rehab......deserves to succeed and hope it does.

• I had a 3.8 mile XC on Saturday, on a day that was so cold it made my teeth ache (sensitive teeth :( ). I averaged 10.11 as opposed to 9.57 in 2016, but as the date was moved back this year from early autumn to January i’m fairly pleased with that. (I find I’m fitter at the end of summer than I am in the winter when I’m running less).  Tomorrow night is another club 5k Grand Prix at the coast, so I’m hoping for kinder weather (it’s blowing a gale here today).

JB I’m sure you’ll be under 22 mins soon, but 22.14 is still an impressive time and that’s great that you were strong in the second half.

Red I’ve used a golf ball to roll the soles of my feet since having a brush with PF a couple of years ago, it seems to keep it at bay (maybe just coincidence?)

HS hope your rest days do the trick and your batteries are well and truly recharged for your next run. 36 miles in one week does seem to be quite a lot. Very sad about the dead pony. Hope your car got through it’s MOT ok, otherwise it can be very expensive.

Exhausted - you haven’t had your gas fire on yet? You must be made of stronger stuff than us, or maybe we are just getting soft, we’ve had ours on for a few weeks now (although admittedly not every night). 
  • ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭
    Hello all, trying to keep up. Good to see you, Mr. Running Fox.
    HS - you're someone I'm able to keep up with via FetchEveryone, where I "follow" your training. Yes, I went swimming today and booked into the spin bike class for tomorrow. My knee is now probably as good as it's ever going to be; twinges a bit occasionally, is definitely stiffer than the other knee (though they're both stiff) and "clicks" into place when I make certain movements. I always cocoon it in a knee brace for running, which seems to keep it in order.
    Exhausted - there are still some fairly out-in-the-sticks places here in mid-Wales. I don't live in one; I'm in a little village just outside a town, but there are some very isolated farmhouses way off in the hills. My plumbing, about which you asked, is semi-fixed; leak stopped, job to be completed next week (will involve major upheaval since the plumber said the problem would recur, given that the pipes had been poorly installed in the first place so he's going to redo all the hot water pipes). No further visits to grandchildren since before Christmas.
    Sad about that dead pony. Drivers need to be very careful on New Forest roads, I should think.
    On Saturday I did the Newtown parkrun. Got in under 40 minutes, which is my aim these days. I was first in age group, not (this time) because I was the only one in the age group; there was one other, 9 seconds behind me. Altogether there were 22 people behind me, so I felt quite chuffed.
    I've forgotten who recommended a steroid injection for stubborn pf, but I'll certainly tell Youngest Son.
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Stretches, icing, arch rolling (with tennis ball as golf ball too small for my high arches) done and ibuprofen gel applied. Not even going to attempt a run until later in the week and have declined the double marathon I had booked for the coming weekend even though my foot is feeling so much better #beingsensibleforachange

TE, hope your rest does the trick. Sad about the pony but seems almost inevetable given how fast and busy the roads are in the NF. Hope the MOT went well.

Exhausted, I love your excellent procrastionation skills!

Columba, congratulations not just for being first in your age group but for havign so many people finish behind you. Has you son tried vitamin supplements/Ibuleve alongside all the usual stretches etc?

Aquarius, good luck with your 5k.