Sub 3

Comments

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Wardi - start it nice and easy and then stretch the legs out in the 2nd half. That would be a nice loosener the day before a race.

I never used to carry a phone but then when we had mini-P I thought I'd better be contactable in case of emergencies. Plus Mrs Padams can get called into work - not a problem until we had a child.

I've seen a couple of car accidents whilst running and stopped to check people were OK, give my contact details etc., but nothing too major.

6M at lunchtime, partly to run a few errands (dropping off paperwork to various places as we're in the process of (trying to) move house).

• TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    A belated happy new year all!

CC2
    - thank you! I'm aware of FODMAP. I done a similar white diet a few weeks back to get things under control. It appears most of the foods that it came up with that disagree with me are O's on the FODMAP diet. I avoid certain types of dairy but I'm fine with most. And the same with meat, though we're looking to move towards more white meat and fish (we don't eat a lot of red meat anyway) and to have one vegetarian day per week. I'm glad to hear you've got it all under control!

sj - nice good Samaritan work, and great training too!

TR - top bombing on the annual mileage! 

Padams - well done on the press-ups! 

General great training and parkrunning being posted already.

I finished the year on 2,652 miles, my 4th lowest out of 12 years of running, though in that 12 years I've totalled 38,230 miles (an average of 61mpw) so not too shabby overall. 

In the last 2 days I've actually managed exactly the training I have on my plan which might not seem amazing, but it's the first time in months where I've managed 2 days as per plan so I'm hoping it means I'm getting my head back to training. They've been tough on the legs - a 5/10 double and a 5/workout double - as the result of being anaemic again (iron and folate), but at least I know how quickly I'll feel better from here (honestly my diet is actually decent so the recurring anaemia is frustrating - viral induced apparently).
  • My toaster was filled with the brown stuff yesterday Wardi - FiL (who has dementia) had to be sectioned - but I'm hoping to still make it next Sunday (number arrived yesterday) though I'm not sure what state I'll be in as it's all been/going to be rather stressful and I have the brunt of it for the foreseeable. Hope you've taken it easy at parkrun and have a good race tomorrow.

I need my slice of birthday cake to be gf Charlie  :)
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Sorry to hear that LMH.  My Dad had dementia for the last few years of his life, he had to be put into a home eventually and in many ways this took much of the stress away from the rest of the family.
    TT.. hope you're over the worst of that, you seem to have been battling with anaemia/IBS for a long time.  Good to hear the training is progressing at any rate.
    I ended up pacing one of the club girlies at the Parkrun circa 7.45 pace, felt comfy enough so shouldn't have burnt too many matches. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    TT - good news, hope it continues.

LMH - sorry to hear that, tough times.

Tried to run my 20 as a progressive today but with a view to MP +20% for 10, and +10% for the second 10 as per P and D. Middle 10m werent flat, but i overcooked itva bitv1st half and ended up with 10 av 7.40 and 10 av 7.10. Was a tough run, certainly wont do it every week as it burned a few too many matches.

84 for the week.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Good effort TR, that's a very decent second 10 miles, cracking session and as you say you don't need to do too many of those. 20m also for me, even paced c7.40s. 
    41m for the week injury affected but seems OK now. Need to up the miles next week and add a few threshold sessions then taper time and hello Gran Canaria (22c today. 
  • Some really impressive sessions going on already. I haven't even started my training for London yet (it starts Monday). 

XC County Champs today. The big names were absent, which is particularly great because two of them are over 35 now, which meant I finished 5th lady and 1st V35-44. My OAP team mates finished 6th and 7th, so the team win was sealed. We even beat our senior team on points, and they got team Gold too. This gains me an invite to the Inter Counties but I will have to turn it down as I have something else on that weekend. I don't really like the Loughborough course anyway. If it had been in Birmingham or Nottingham as in days of yore it might have been another story. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Top bombing speedy, 5th and 1st vet !

OO - good to see that you shrugged off the footy injury quickly. I think I'll stick to making most of my long runs easy (im used to 8.XX all the way) as i was a bit smoked by the end  but was strong enough for around 6.50 pace in the last mile. So hopefully i didnt burn too many match.

Besr have a few beerios to recover.
  • Sorry to hear that LMH. Hope you manage to get out often enough: in times of stress running is even more important IMO.
    Onwards & upwards TT.
    The injury can't be too bad if you can knock out a comfortable 20 in 2:3x OO.
    Cracking 20M that TR. Count it as one of the longer MP runs, that way the effort should be similar.
    Good luck with the 5M tomorrow Wardi. Certainly won't be able to regret that parkrun. Pacing is a great way to make an event enjoyable without destroying yourself.
    Parkrun & XC double race day for me. First races I've been able to get my HR up to near optimum race rate for about a month. Consequently I enjoyed both. It was my 350th parkrun so I stayed at home in spite of my aversion to mud & cani-X. Fortunately the speedy dog-assisted fliers were elsewhere today so there was no early obstructions. Went out hard but about a dozen were ahead of me by the first corner however I stuck at it & reeled them in one by one til I was in 4th with 400m to go when one young lad came back past me followed almost immediately by another chap who'd been chasing me the whole way. So 6th & sub-20 on a twisty, rooty, muddy, lumpy course. XC in the afternoon was 3x 2M laps which each included 2 stream & 2 river crossings, a brutal climb & off camber descent + a wooded section with another gradual climb then a near vertical descent. Very happy with the race in general as I managed to pick people off throughout even though the river crossings slowed me more than others so I was constantly battling for position with the same few folk. Not sure where I finished overall as I'm pretty confident no medals were likely so I left immediately since 6 thigh deep river crossings had left my shorts & feet soaking so I was frozen as soon as the race finished. Fortunately I have a decent heater in the car :)
  • The regular ice baths will at least have been good for your muscles Jooligan!
  • Great result SG.
    Turns out I was 53rd & 11th MV45 so not bad especially given my parkrun first thing on top of 13.7 yesterday & 20 Wednesday. Particularly pleased with my pacing: I slowed only 15s from laps 1-3. Only 4s between 2&3.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good stuff Jools that's a good week, topped off by racing well.

7m easy in my 8.XX armchair.
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    LMH - sorry to hear that news. My MiL is in a care home with dementia. The decision was taken out of Mrs SJ's hands by care services. Some of the toughest times in hers and our lives. Sending virtual hugs your way.

Padams - hope the stress levels involved in moving house are under control. Good luck with everything.

TT - hope things clear up soon as you sounded more positive about your training in you post. Good to read.

TR - super awesome 20 miler with the MP section. That is exactly the kind of run I'm going to build-up to as the campaign progresses. I think I would find that very hard atm. Is that weekly mileage total something you will hold throughout with a few cut-back weeks along the way?

OO - nice 20 too and looking good for the taper now. Those temps sound amazing right now. We're not even had any cold stuff yet this winter.

CC2 - strong running at the XC champs. Nice age/team wins too. All the best with vlm training when it starts.

Jooligan - super impressive training/racing volume as ever. Saw the pic of the river you had to run through on the XC course. All I could think of was... Proper XC course! All the ones I have done so far this season have been dry and hardly any mud!

Backed up the mlr with another 10 on Friday and 20 today with some easy jogs in-between to bring up 65 for the week.

Ran the 20 today with a purpose so started out at 8:15s and dropped 15 secs per 5 miles to finish at 7:30s. Ended up a little faster with last two miles in 7:11,6:45 to replicate a fast finish. Felt decent.

Also solved the phone carrying issue (thanks for the in-depth info CW) by picking up one of those Inov8 vests. Lots of pockets and has the water pouches too. Shared my location with Mrs SJ via WhatsApp so all is good.
  • Nice parkrun pacing services Wardi, hope the race today has gone well.

Oh and forgot to mention the interesting reading of others medical emergencies whilst out running from the previous page. However, Dan's is probably the most harrowing.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Nice one SJ, thats a strong run with a strong finish. How many 20s is that now? I did 2 at the start of December and 2 at the end, plus yday, so 5 so far. Thats as many as i did in my Abo campaign ! Mileage will probably stay around 75ish, with, the odd lower week as you say. After bagging some esrly 20s, i have 3 race weekends in the next 5 so only 2 more 20s in the next 5 weekends, then theres enough time for another 5ish.......i also need to make sure that i dont run too far on the easy days, so today i limited myself to 7m even though i had the time and energy for more, i musnt do too much too early.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Saw that run on Strava SJ. I love that kind of 20, especially when you have the strength to finish strongly - a MP final mile is outstanding. 
    More good miles TR. 8:xx is a good pace for those easy runs & wise to limit the mileage before becoming exhausted, risking burnout. We're still a long way out.
    I backed up yesterday's faster stuff with another ploddy 20M on the local trails which involved a fair bit of climbing again. Was knackered by the end but I'd had no breakfast & took nothing with me not even water. I've done 4x20M in the last 4 weeks + 2 more in November - only did 2 during the Abo build-up! That's 80M already in 2018  B) 
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    That's only my second 20 miler TR. You boys are way ahead of me on that front. I did keep my Sunday long runs up around 16 miles since Abo though so the shock wasn't as horrific as a complete drop off would have been.

Compared to your low number of long runs pre Abo I managed 10 in that campaign (almost every Sunday) I aim to do around the same this time. Hoping this consistency bares slightly more fruit in April.

Re easy days TR - I have an easy 5 mile loop I stick to. I run them completely by feel. Yesterday's easy run came in at just under 9:00m/m pace, so 45 mins... Perfect recovery run which set me up nicely for today.

Jooligan - saw your run today on Strava also and noted the elevation. Top stuff.

My week will be mixed p&d and as follows:

M: 5 mile easy or rest / strength work
    T: club session (tempo or intervals) or my own tempo session
    W: medium long run up to 15 miles (time depending)
    T: 5 mile easy
    F: double digit probably only 10. I can't face 12 or whatever p&d say after a week at work on a Friday night.
    S: 5 easy alternating every other week with my own track session.
    S: long run

Have Helsby half coming up before end of Jan and some XC races but otherwise that's the week from now until April 7th (obviously with a taper!)

My sister's wedding beginning of Feb will take some planning in terms of fitting the running around it !

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    SJ.. nice progressive 20 in the bag there, ditto to you TR.  Can't see any harm in those workouts this early in your campaigns.
    OO.. hope the taper goes smoothly, I guess you're used to them now :)
    CC2.. great weekend for you with team & A/G prizes, nice one!
    Jooligan.. some fine racing results after a big few days & kudos for getting a 20m in after all that!
    My race went better than expected, 35.10 for 5 miles which turned out to be 1min 30 secs quicker than the same course on two occasions last year and my best time for 3 years.  An 'Indian Summer' running wise at my age is a rare thing indeed so I might as well enjoy it while I can.  Ideal conditions with light winds, sunshine and not too cold.  Fingers crossed for similar next week at the Brass Monkey.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Jools - you are banging out the miles, defo should be better prepared for Brighton than Abo.

Wardi - well deserved, you've been putting in the miles.

SJ - thats a good weeks work with the session, a mlr, 10 and a 20. Like you ive kept the miles up since Abo. Since the start od December ive done 2x18,2x20, 2x 21 and about 20 runs between 10 and 14m. That 5 weeks is better than my whole Abo campaign and i still have 12ish weeks of training times. Bagging the long and medium runs (2 if poss) and a weekly session (BAC or 3min reps) is the aim  with easy miles  on the other days. The BAC session or 3min session will become one of the medium runs.
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

TR - that's a cracking long run, back to the easier ones for a while!

CC2 - congrats on the county XC prizes!

LMH - sorry to hear that, hopefully it will get easier once support is in place.

Jooligan - excellent run in the XC, sounds like a proper XC course!

Wardi - sounds like you're in great shape, must be very enjoyable maintaining (or even improving) at your age (no offence).

Herts XC for me yesterday. Summary is that I won, which was very surprising given my best ever before yesterday had been 6th place. Goes to show that if you stick at it long enough, eventually all the fast guys will be injured/retired/busy on the same day!

Longer version: 3 laps of just under 4km, good underfoot, but 3 chunky hills on each lap. After the start we settled into a group of about 6 of us, it felt fairly comfortable and I realised none of the fast people were there (we often have 2 or 3 sub-30 10km runners at the counties). On the climbs there was a small guy pulling slightly away from me, but on the descents and flat I was pegging him back without pushing too hard. At the end of the first lap there were 4 of us left, and about halfway around the 2nd lap I got a gap on a downhill and decided to go with it and try to go solo from there.

At the end of the 2nd lap I had about 10s over the others and was working pretty hard. Luckily all the marshals were clubmates, I know the course like the back of my hand (I live 0.5M away and we do sessions there fairly often) and there are several points where I could see how much lead I had.

With one hill left to go I still had 10s or so and was working really hard - was on the limit at the top of that hill but seemed to be holding the gap, tried to recover down the other side and then pushed it on the flat section after that. I could then see that I'd extended my lead slightly and was able to relax slightly for the last 200m, although I doubt I would have been able to pick it up anyway!

Didn't really look at my watch on the way around, but my time was 39:10 for about 7.1M, so average of around 5:30m/m, which I'm very pleased given the hills. Splits were pretty even too taking into account the undulations. The guy who came 2nd beat me by 40s over 5M a couple of weeks ago, although I was slightly hungover at that one.

My conclusion is that the press-ups must have done me some good, as I haven't done enough running to be in this shape!

• Excellent racing Padams - well done. I don't think FiL will be coming home, at least not for the foreseeable, next good thing that needs to happen that will help will be for him to be moved closer but no idea when a bed will become available.

Sorry I'm not commenting much on what people are posting - having a bit of difficulty remembering anything and formulating responses. If I can get a couple of good nights sleep normal service should be resumed.
  • Wardi -- well done in your race! Due to engineering work, I'll have to clear off pretty sharpish after the BM on Sunday this time I fear to catch a relatively early train. But I definitely want to say hello first, or likely beforehand. Actual birthday is the Friday, so I'll be fattened up for the race. (And LMH, sorry to hear about FiL stresses though -- as Wardi found, it was actually a big relief when my Dad went into a home, which was excellent although eye-wateringly expensive.)

Nice long run TR.

Congrats on your XC CC2! Well done in yours too, Jooligan. (No water features in mine, but I did ramp up the car heater to max as an impromptu heat-training sauna on the way home, as I sometimes do.)

And Padams, really well done, that's a classy win!

So I also had my county XC yesterday, and I was pretty rubbish. Actually I heard later I may be up for some kind of vet/team medal, but I was so slow that I didn't think that was possible, and spent the rest of the afternoon running round the park until I'd reached 20 miles for the day as penance. Good to meet up with my clubmates for a change though. I did get slight grief from my piriformis-related niggle, which I had hoped to have shaken off by now, but not bad.

• Padams - same happened to me in about 2010 (one of the snowy winters anyway) - the Beds/Bucks was postponed until March and I was about 7th in the race. But it's always combined with Bucks, so all the runners in front were either Seniors for the Bucks team, or Juniors in the Beds side! Great win though - least you actually came first!

Don't blame you not doing the Intercounties CC2 - Last year it was awful, and I tweaked my knee too because it was so muddy. Shame it couldn't stay in Brum at Longbridge, that was a decent course.

• A win at the county XC is something to be proud of regardless of any caveats over absences, so very well done to padams and CC2 (and very belatedly to SC2). 

I had already turned down the opportunity to run in our county champs. 7.5 miles around Lloyd Park in winter was never going to be top of my list, although as it turned out the relatively mild and dry weather lately made it a lot more palatable for those that went. 

Yesterday was my annual stint at marshalling for our 10 mile race, 2 hours getting all the cars tightly packed in the car park, then three out on the course.  I was at a point the runners pass through three times, at 0.5, 5 and 9.5 miles so it was a busy time.  Always good fun and decent weather this year.

• Padams - Congratulations, that sounds a great performance, what a great way to start 2019. 
    Likewise Wardi, to be getting faster by a good chunk of time is great reward for your training and dedication.  Very positive sign for the Brass Monkey.  Yes, getting reasonable at tapering these days, the latest innovation for me, daily CBD gels and passion fruit. 
    LMH - Sending you positive thoughts. 
    Seems half a dozen of us ran variation on  a theme 20 milers over the weekend,  slow/ fast, even paced, even paced with a fast finish, trail ones and CW's as penance. No formulas in this sub-3 lark. 
    10m done, easyish for 8 miles with 2 miles fast (6mm).
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

CD - a colleague of mine was 8th at Lloyd Park and said he'd never seen it so dry. Well done on the marshalling, that's a long stint!

SC2 - I remember the year the counties were postponed. They rearranged ours for April I think and about 10 people (not me) showed up!

I may do the Intercounties but not keen on travelling up and down for a mudfest, especially if we're in the think of house-moving, so will just wait and see.

• Congratulations Padams. That's a win to savour & a tale to regale the youngsters with for many years to come.
    Well done Wardi. Massive improvement over such a short distance. Bet you're feeling very chuffed taking the parkrun pacing option now.
    Can't have been too bad CW if you managed a team medal though how you managed another 11 after a flat out XC I don't know.
    LMH good luck with FiL situation. No-one could expect you to be keeping abreast of events here when RL is that stressful.
    Taking a day off running today - cycle commute & swim later so definitely active recovery though.

• Fantastic result Wardi - well done.

Are you moving far Padams.

A pity you have to rush off Charlie, what time are you hoping for? Well done at the xc. When FiL is eventually settled I have no doubt things will be better unfortunately we have no idea when that will be, I suspect some time.

Good result for you too CC2 - you can only race whoever turns up.

Cheers Jooligan. I'm reading but not retaining.

How long have you been on the CBD OuchOuch and what is your purpose in taking it (if you see what I mean)?

Good on you to give up so much of your day CD.

Building a good base there sj - where is your sister's wedding?

TR - that's my kind of consistent consistency.

• OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    LMH - maybe 7 weeks, reason: old dog new tricks - anecdotal 'evidence' seemed encouraging, >£8 on Amazon so gave it a go.  My first marathon whilst taking them was the Malaga marathon and it was also my most even-paced so?  But never sure if the effects are 'real' or 'placebo' but it does seem my depth of sleep has improved and am out like a light in less than a minute these days.  Also feel much 'calmer', again some quack science suggests marathon runners has we deplete zinc can be a bit short-tempered. Others point to an anti-inflammatory benefit.   
    This weeks community spirit award from SJ to CD. Good on you. 
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

LMH - still in St Albans so not far. We're in a chain of 4 though, so it may or may not happen.

No running today - felt like I deserved a rest day after yesterday, and will be working late anyway. Plus I woke up at 4:30am with the worst hamstring cramp - literally jumped out of bed and had to stretch it. Mrs Padams didn't seem too impressed, but she didn't even ask what I was doing which shows we're been together a while!