Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    Stressful time Padams - maybe you need to start on the CBD?  :)

Thanks OuchOuch - there is some reasonable evidence for the benefits of CBD for the reasons you are taking it but I hadn't read anything running specific which was why I asked.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Padams - brilliant XC win.  A county title is not to be sniffed at, especially as it's open to runners probably 15+ years younger than you.

OO - are you doing the Gran Canaria marathon?  Seem to remember you mentioning it a few weeks ago.  We've just book a week's holiday there arriving on the Saturday, so might enter the half for a bit of a laugh (definitely not a serious target).

Supposed to be doing an ultra this weekend, but was feeling ill on Saturday so could barely shuffle round a parkrun.  Then seemed to have pulled something in my back and couldn't run at all on Sunday.  Won't bother turning up unless a miracle cure happens in the next 48 hours.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    DanA - Yes I am. The half is a good race, you can race my brother and a few mates round (you need to give them 30 minutes headstart). Might see you there, hope so as your a good omen, last time I raced with you I got a PB, the task this time is to pace a mate around for a sub3.  
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Padams - cracking stuff, county champ. Certainly one for the scrapbook.

Cw - just the 20m as penance ! Whats happened to the 26m training runs?

15m run home tonight, 8.10ish pace so 2 hours of time on feet. Tedious on a monday in january. Also picked up some more knee road rash as i went over in exactly the same place as a month ago, pavement is dicey there in the dark due to tree roots coming thtough (?), i really must remember to cross over when its dark.
  • Options
    Congrats on the win Padams!

LMH, I can sympathise. Although my dad does not have dimentia (though he has his moments), I did have to put him in a home after mum died. I trawled around loads of the places and to be honest most of them were horrible. My first choice wouldn't take him because he's a fall risk (well d'uh, that's why he needs to be in a care home!). The one he's in is lovely. It costs an arm and a leg, but he likes it there. It is still very stressful - the bills, the visiting, trying to take him out in a wheelchair, do all his admin etc. That said, it's way better than when he was home alone (and 200 miles away) as I no longer have to worry about him managing. Once you get him settled things will improve I promise.
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Great results Wardi and Padams. Super motivational and inspiring to push on and work harder (for me)

TR - banked that mlr early doors, nice work indeed.

• Options
    Padams - ALWAYS 4.30am isn't it for cramp? You'll have to start drinking G&T as an excuse to drink Tonic, in that way lessening the chance of cramp and waking the missus up ;) Works for me...
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Padams - you could borrow wardis smoking jacket and cravat to go with the g and t.

Backed up last nights 15m with 15x3min reps this morning and 10m in total. Solid 13 or 14 hours ! 
  • Options

Some inspirational training and racing being done in here! I'm going to need to get cracking if I'm going to keep up with SJ in Manchester! I've been ticking over but not really got going again since Abingdon.

Interesting that the majority don't carry a phone on runs. I always have but I guess that's because it used to track my runs/be used for music. I also run around a lot of country lanes where I don't see anyone for miles so wouldn't feel safe without one. Came in useful on Sunday as I had to phone for a lift home 5 miles into my 12 mile run as I had sharp calf pain. Seems to be ok now just tight, I think its just due to me working on my form and a more midfoot strike. Hopefully won't set me back too much

• Options
    by that was a long read back, that long I think, that padams has done about 3000 press ups, and TR has run about another 1000 miles! 

Sorry to hear about FiL LMH

County Champ Padams - awesome. I know you'll have qualified plenty of times, when I did I was in grumpy mode, and declined the vest. I should have doe it, but didnt feel right that I had to pay for it and drive myself to Birmingham and back etc etc!

I carry my phone quite a bit of late SJ - I have a running belt by Salomon too, tend to have it when I have the dog out running with me and makes sense to carry phone too. 

Great time for 5 miles that Wardi 

Why do you think you keep falling over TR - just the nature of the runs? - Ive binned it twice last few weeks (more on that below) both being daylight and on rocky trails, I think its my gait! - I believe I'm reasonably efficient and feet are low to the ground, and I'm more used to wearing low profile road trainers, and thus misjudge it when I'm wearing the more substantial roclites. 

xmas eve we have a club ish run, I tripped about 8 miles and landed on my ribs. Hurt on the road section, and when I said farewell to my mates, I was in a bit of a mess! Could barely move rest of the day. 

Got out on 27th (but not the planned 20) and did 12 with co-codamol. Rest 28th, 29th horrendous morning run. I stupidly too painkillers on empty stomach, and spent most of the run dry heaving, before cutting it short at 8 miles! 
    Sulked the next day, and since then Ive manned up (can I still say that?) and run without painkillers. 
    got to 50 last week, including my first 20, and a few more double figure runs, with decreasing levels of discomfort which is good.  

11.5 on the trails this morning including a rather annoying fall (again) at 9. I think my arm and shoulder protected the ribs luckily. 
  • Options
    Hope you haven't done more damage WTGY.

You are putting in some great training TR.

Thanks CC2 ironically it's not FiL taking my time, he's secure in a locked ward and looked after whereas MiL is on her own and dealing with the shock etc. so I've been seeing her twice a day which is ok in the very short term but not sustainable as my work will pick up in a couple of weeks. BiL is coming to stay next week but that will mean that she's had company all week so the week after will then be hard for her..............there will be a way, I just hope we find it quite soon.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Stevie - why change your form,  although you are still pretty young snd have years of running ahead.

Wtg - ouch, sounds like you hurt yourself worse than me. I tend to skim the floor with low foot lift esp as i run slowly most of the time, so a trip is quite common, and sometimes i can prevent a fall. But ive gone over 3 or 4 times on the same tree lined stretch of main road, i think tree roots have lifted slabs snd i hit the edges of these, esp in the dark. Good thing about winter is i had long sleeves and gloves on  but only shorts so my knee copped it. Sometimes i even manage to fall fwd in a sort of fwd roll and roll over my shoulder and carry on running - hoping no one saw.

LMH - im on it like a car bonnet. Crab says the reps max out at 24, im going to do them every 2 weeks and add a few each time. Im sure my running rollercoaster will have a few dips this campaign somewhere along the way.
  • Options
    Ahoy. I've been reading along over Christmas and New Year so haven't posted so apologies for that. Hope you all had a good one. 

LMH, really sorry to hear about your family issues. I hope things are sorted sooner rather than later and it's not causing too much stress.

Huge congratulations to Padams and CC2 for some fantastic cross country performances at the weekend. Great racing from Wardi also and everyone else that was out there.

Sorry to hear about the illness/injury woes Dan. Hoping for a miraculous recovery.

Nice work on the marshalling CD. I think there was a fair turnout from our club their (Clapham Chasers) - always hear good things about the event, I'll need to get myself signed up next year. 

WTGY - sounds painful. Sensible move re; the painkillers though. I think they can do more harm than good. 
  • Options
    Managed to bank my 3rd Christmas Day marathon (fortunately my family don't miss me if I go early in the morning), and finished 3rd again at the New Years Day triathlon in Edinburgh. It's only because all the normal people go out drinking on NYE and the competition is therefore depleted (although to be fair I did have a couple of shandy's).

Finally starting to get back into proper training after around 3 months of what I'd define as 'plodding'. First big weekend for ages just gone, with the club 'Super Saturday' session. Interestingly, the club have formed a session aimed specifically at sub-40 10km runners to encourage the faster group to get together and push on. 3 x 5km with the 3rd one taking place during parkrun. 19:14, 18:58 and 18:33 was a decent return and made me realise I'm not a million miles off. Backed it up with 20 on Sunday - nice confidence boost.

Also, if anyone is looking for a decent 20 miler in the build up to spring marathons, I'm race director of our club one - Thames Riverside 20, based in Fulham and along the Thames Path. Would be great to see some friendly faces there.
  • Options
    TR - Prescribed by my coach to make me more efficient and in theory more injury proof. It does feel more efficient while running but I think its just going to take a few weeks to get used to. I'd started with the drills before Christmas but it suddenly clicked last week. You are certainly going well, fingers crossed it all comes together for Brighton
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    TR.. I've got a decent Petzel head torch which adjusts the beam strength according to ambient light and tilts, USB charge etc.  I don't bother with it much on local runs as I know every lump & bump around here.  Useful on lesser known routes though, especially spotting uneven paths/kerbs, unexpected obstructions and the like.  Nice work getting that 15m +  3 min rep session done on consecutive days.
    Padams.. congrats on County Champ, definitely one to be proud of.
    Joe B.. good to see you back in the groove again, what have you got planned for this year?
    Dan A.. enjoy the hols and the half if you decide to do it.  Hope the niggle/bugs clear up.
    WTGY.. when I had bruised ribs the Doc gave me a heap of tramadol, take 3 a day he said.  This made me both sleepy and constipated which was worse than the rib pain!  I cut down to 1 a day which made running bearable without the side effects.
    Charlie.. sorry you will have to rush off on Sunday.  If this means you will have to skip prize giving I'll let you know by message if you do win something!  I will look out for you & LMH in the start area if I don't see you before.  Kudos for making up a tough XC to miles BTW :o
    I intend doing around 4m then going out with the club later.  That should be around 11m for the day which will be my last MLR before Sunday.
    Anyone coming up for the National XC on Feb 23rd?  It's at Harewood House (outskirts of Leeds) not too far from me this year, they've been asking local clubs for volunteers/helpers.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Joe - bonkers christmas say run.

Stevie - shame yr coach didnt get you to switch straight after abo, so you were good to crack on now for manchester. Hopefully your calves will adapt soon.

Wardi - mmmmm, my headtorch came off as i fell. I turned it off after 6m when i rejoined roads that had streetlights.i must remember to turn it back on at my dicey section.
  • Options
    Hope you're feeling better Dan.

Nice use of the holidays Joe.

I never got on with a head torch but bought Mark one of the Decathlon chest torches for xmas which seems really good.
  • Options
    More solid training TR. That's a tough couple of days.
    Figured Saturday's parkrun/XC combo counted as my LT work for the week so skipped the P&D  9 with 5@LT & did 8M with 10x0.1M strides along the canal first thing then backed that up with a little grass hill rep session 5x200m@12% so 11.3M for the day. 
    I never run with a torch & have only ever gone over in the daylight! Had a nasty encounter with an overhanging bramble this morning though: ripped my ear, cheek & temple. Glad I was wearing a very old T as it was pretty red by the time I got back!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    When i was on the lanes in tbe early miles i only turned the headtorch on when a car was coming, otherwise there was enough moonlight to make my way.

Jools - agreed, no need for LT after your xc.  Im doing a 10k sunday so wont do a reps or BAC session next week. Stimulate rather than annihilate!
  • Options
    I only run on well lit streets these days. Back in the day I used to be able to get a lift to work and run home, which meant I needed a head torch for a half mile stretch, but now no-one lives near me. 

Wardi - I'll be at the National with a crew of Green and Gold clubmates.

Intervals tonight. 2 x 1.75 miles. I still have the 40 miler in my legs so I expected three of the group to be well ahead of me, and sort of just let them be ahead of me. They must have been slow, because my rep was 11.19 (10.59 is the slowest I consider to be vaguely acceptable). I was annoyed with myself and refused to let them get away on the second rep. I actually ended up at the front of the group with 10.46. I must learn to run to my pace and not to others. I made the same mistake in the summer in a 3k race. I expected the winner to be a certain distance ahead of me and just let her be, and followed behind. She had a shocker, which meant I did too! Unfortunately I'm sh*t at pacing.
  • Options
    Joe - I feel even worse now for not going out on Xmas day! Top stuff.

LMH - thinking of you. Terrible times when the folks end up needing you. I will struggle when mine begin to falter with the distance involved. We had the issue when Mrs SJ father passed that her mums dementia really kicked in, turns out father was the glue holding her together. My sis is getting wed in Lyndhurst in New Forest. We're not from there... Far too posh! Should be good. I'll run my 20 on the morning of the wedding although it will be a very early start as the wedding is at 12pm!!

TR - nice session again. Getting this week's work done early. The 10k will be a decent effort too so mix in some steady/easy miles and that's solid stuff.

Jooligan - hope the facial wounds heal nicely. Wearing specs has saved my eyes on more than one occasion with overgrown thorns on the canal here. Decent stuff from you today too. Mixing things up with the schedules keeps it interesting I think.

WTGY - blimey, that fall sounded rough. Hopw ribs feel better soon.

Stevie - haha, I told you after Abo I'll see you at the start in Manchester and at the finish.. I'll be hopefully 10 mins behind you... You can get the beers in. Oh and I thought you looked efficient in your running at Abo so not sure you needed to do too much. Had me asking a club mate tonight how I striked as I always thought I mid-foot striked. Turns out I do but have always worn stability shoes to compensate for overpronation. Club mate reckons I should wear neutral and work on my difficiencies. If it ain't broke though...

Wardi - final call for entries tonight for the nationals from team manager. I averted my eyes to the ground. I can barely muster the enthusiasm to travel around Manchester for our local fixtures never mind leaving the county for one!

CC2 - always remember your grit and determination during sessions and races. Glad to see you haven't lost any of it.

Reasonably well lit where I am on the edge of suburbia. Have mapped out another medium long route for tomorrow so I don't have to bother with that iffy dark stretch I found last week.

Club reps tonight instead of p&d. 5 X 1100m. Good to get the legs turning over and felt strong. Probably taken too much out of me to run well in the mud on Saturday. Oh well.
  • Options
    No chance of moving your days around so you don't need to run long on the day of he wedding sj? Though I'm sure you'll find some lovely routes there. My in laws were two and a half hours drive away and it took us a few years to persuade them to move closer.

It's difficult not to sit in CC2 but sounds like you pulled it back nicely.
  • Options
    SJ - I'd definitely be cautious about changing! If you were going to do it I would wait until after Manchester. I didn't think I was too bad either but I'm always willing to improve so went with it. I think the calf is a bit worse then I thought so this week may be a write off. Might have to dig the turbo out
  • Options
    Ta for well wishes, yesterdays spill doesn't appear to have brought on anything to bother running too much. Though I do have a cold thats appeared, I'm sure a little offroad with the dog will get rid of that mind :#

TR, If I fell and turned it into a roll I think I would be wanting people to see it (and applaud!) 

Wardi a load of my lot are heading over for it, I'll be trying to get long run in again. 

jooligan - ouch make sure all the thorns are out

SJ - do you race in a different trainer? 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - good session that, hopefully it will be out of your system by your xc, should be ok.

12m run home tonight, it was getting real cold, could be an icy run back again in the morning.
  • Options
    It really was cold this evening wasn't it?! I had to resort to the gloves that have extra mitten bits to cover your fingers. They're possibly the best things since sliced bread, but they do make you look like a right tit. 
  • Options
    I'd rather be comfortable than stylish CC2!

We are forecast a slightly warmer morning than yesterday TR - there were some slippery bits yesterday but it wasn't too bad, take care.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    LMH - i made sure i walked the couple of bits round the lanes were the ponds venture on to the road. Even in walking those few metres i nearly went over. It was bitter !

10m, 5 av 8.12, 5 av 6.51. I was aiming for 7mm ish. 4 double digit days in a row. 6m easy tomorrow. 5 or 6 instead of a long run Saturday and then 10k sunday.
  • Options
    Fortunately it's always slightly warmer here in Cornwall so no Frost or ice, blue skies, clear though slightly chilly. As I get hot so quickly once running gp for the 1 glove on/ 1 off method (my key albeit mundane tip for the day). Similar sess to yours TR, 12m with last 5m @ 6.25 mm.