Training Log: Going from overweight to sub-18 5k

Hi all,

I've lurked here a while, but have now decided to register and post.

I am a 29 year old male from the UK. I am 5'11" and currently weigh 13st 4lb. This puts me in the overweight category in all of the available 'calculators'. I guess I already knew this - hence weighing myself for the first time in years yesterday.

In response to this weighing, I have set myself the goal (to be achieved before the end of 2019) of returning to running and cleaning up my diet a little in order to get down (and perhaps even below) to 12st and run a sub-18 5k (measured at my local Park Run). I have run one timed 5k before and managed a time of 20.16 (about 18 months ago, and off little training - though I was considerably lighter).

I am creating this thread to share my weekly training and to hold myself accountable. If anyone else wants to help/advise/share their stories - please feel free to do so!

I have downloaded the MyFitnessPal app and am tracking what I eat. My first task is to spend time slowly building up my weekly mileage - I am aiming to run every morning to begin with, and then gradually adding in an evening run Mon-Sat (I will not run twice on long run day).

I will post a progress update every Sunday evening (at the end of a training week) detailing the runs (distance/effort/pace) and whether or not my food diary in MyFitnessPal is up to scratch. My first post will be tomorrow. I will also seek advice from you more experienced runners regarding workouts and training schedules once I have built up a sufficient base.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Comments

• Week 1 (31/12 - 06/01)

M - REST
    T - 2.3 miles (EASY @ 10.17 min/mile)
    W - REST
    Th - 2.3 miles (EASY/MODERATE @ 8.53 min/mile)
    F - REST
    Sa - 2.3 miles (EASY @ 9.40 min/mile)
    Su - REST

Total - 6.9 miles

So... Not many miles this first week - I have started conservatively to avoid injury. I feel really good after this first week, so I will be adding another (shorter) day of easy running this coming week and increasing the length of the Saturday run to start to making it into something that resembles a long run. I will be running by time going forward ( I just knew I had a roughly 20 min run around my local 'block' to start with).

With regards to diet - I managed to think twice about what I have been consuming due to having to record the consumption. I don't think that I am necessarily overly keen about the calorie counting aspect of it... Mainly because I have no idea how many calories are in homemade meals and it's just a bit anal for me. I will continue to record what I eat to ensure that I am mindful and keep away from too much sugar and junk food.

Thanks for reading!
  • This is a decent challenge. What weight were you when running a 20:16 and what was your weekly mileage then?

I'll be interested to see how this pans out for you, best of luck!
  • <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/RDuke1552">RDuke1552</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText">This is a decent challenge. What weight were you when running a 20:16 and what was your weekly mileage then?

I'll be interested to see how this pans out for you, best of luck!</div>
    </blockquote>
    I was about 12 stone (maybe just over). I had done no structured training/mileage. Was doing maybe 2/3 runs some weeks and none others, so had no base to speak of really!
  • 20 mins is a very good 5k time off little training and overweight. I would argue that sub-18mins is unrealistic for the vast majority of people though. Good luck, but please don’t be disheartened if progress is slow. Sub-18 mins is haaaard.