Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Afternoon all.

Hope you all had good Christmas and New Year breaks. I've not ran a yard since 22nd December, I have however been on holiday to Vietnam which was excellent.

Congratulations Pete!

I will belatedly do my end of year review now instead of doing some actual work.

• Options
    kevin70kevin70 ✭✭✭

Helloooooooooo, is there room for one more on here!!! I have lurked on here over the years and would like to get training tips and general running views to try and get some pb's.

Currently training for Alloa Half Marathon late march and would love to get under 1.40.XX. My current weekly schedule is:

9mls Monday 4/5mls tempo run avg (7.40-7.50 testing this out tonight)

8mls Wednesday easy pace 8.45m/m-9.10m/m

8mls Thursday club session, intervals, hills, reps

14mls Saturday long run 8.45m/m-9.10m/m

PB's are

10km 43.19 2016

half marathon 1.38.59 2015

I haven't had a pb in over 3 years on both 10k and half marathon, my main issue over the years has been stopping within 2-3miles of the race beginning, it has been so frustrating over the past 3 years that I haven't finished a race without stopping. I have stared doing the tempos on a Monday to try and get the feeling of pushing yourself to see if this will help. Not done much speed work through Xmas though but covered the same mileage approx. 38mls per week. I am looking to add a Tuesday run of 4mls in as a recovery run from this week. Any advice and chat would be appreciated.

Ta

Kevin

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

2018 - Total distance

1350ish

2018 races

39 Races - 1x 800m (track), 1 x road mile (ARC licence), 1 x dream mile (wind assisted),  1 x 5K (ARC licence), 3 x danger 5K in Auckland, 19 parkruns, 1 x 5 miler, 3 x 10k, 3 x mixed length summer league races (between 5 and 6 miles), 2 x HM  and 1 marathon. Plus cross country and fell races inc the inter-county fell champs. Any probably some other stuff that I've forgotten about.

2018 Achievements

PB's for the road mile, road 5K, parkrun and 10K.

Team bronze at the county cross country champs.

Representing Notts at the inter-county fell champs.

Personal Highlights

Getting a county vest was definitely a personal highlight even if the race itself was savagely difficult.

Personal Lowlights

Antwerp marathon. After a solid block of training I felt like I was in PB shape with PB's at 5K and 10K in the build up. However, the weather had other ideas and running a good marathon in 25 degree heat wasn't going to happen. I survived and managed a decent enough time all things considered but it wiped me out for a few weeks afterwards and I felt more unfit after that than I did before starting marathon training.

Poster of the year

Muddy/DT

Thread performance

DT's sub 3. Thoroughly deserved following the dedicated training.

Thread moment

Not seeing Richard at the parkrun.

2019 Aims and Targets

1. Not get injured.

2. Beat the train.

3.Not get my spring marathon ruined by the weather at Rotterdam.

One to watch

David and lit.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Hi Tommy, Vietnam sounds good. What made you choose Rotterdam?

Hi Kevin, training looks reasonable. I am intrigued by this stopping thing. What brings it on in terms of what you are feeling? What happens after it, particularly say if it is a half?

Muddy, on paper it looked like an awful session, however I had perfect conditions around the racecourse and felt good so it wasn't bad. It was easier than some of the continuous 8 mile tempo's I have done at around 6.30 pace, at least mentally as I was always not too far from a rest.

Bit of a sharpener today with 10 x 2 mins at hmp/10kp off 90 secs. 

• Options
    Kevin - is it only in races?

Richard used to have something similarly where he would just suddenly feel he need to stop and he did.

You probably need to do something to break the cycle if it is only races like setting off slower than your target pace and speed up as race goes on when you are nearer to finish and the mental horizon of the finishing line is closer?
  • Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    Looks a fast course and it's earlier in the year than London etc so better chance of avoiding a heatwave. There's about 12 people from my club going so should be a good weekend. 

First run in 2 weeks last night, felt like hard work. But then I think I'm still abit jet lagged and I have a stupid cold which I can't seem to shift. Hopefully a track session later will sort it out. 

Kevin - as DT said, what's making you have to stop?
  • Options
    muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Hi Kevin, Glad our collective thread coaching experience has caught your eye ;) We have one previous client who is doing very well.

A few thoughts ... the volume (weekly mileage) is good and the number of runs seems adequate. Long runs could maybe be a touch faster or include some challenging bits.

What's your perception of what happens in a race ? Do you go off at a target pace ? Or do you go with the herd ?  Do you use any external feedback to regulate your effort/pace (e.g. watch/heart rate monitor) ? What sort of race distances are we talking about where this happens ?

Do you feel like you are slogging through your training weeks ? Or cruising through them ?

Tommy - Sounds like a decent holiday. That race the train in August in North Wales has been one I've not been able to schedule but have always wanted to do.

DT - Fair enough - seemed a bit challenging too close to race day to me.

• Options
    kevin70kevin70 ✭✭✭

DT/Tommy seems to be only in races.

Skinny I think I start to panic and stress a wee bit, that then makes me stop, get going again but then the race has gone.

Muddy I am going at a pace I would expect to maintain but start to fret a bit and just stop. I have a garmin to look over data. I love training but when I hear talk of race day magic/adrenaline its the opposite. I need to understand that the feeling will pass and have done the training and to dig in.  

Last night was 9mls and i tried to do some tempo/threshold, unsure what that is but tried to run near a group who maybe slightly better or have improved further than me. 7.40m/m was the plan, 3mls easy then 7.13 FFS slow down, 7.27 slow down I said, 7.37 now your listening, 7.31 you will be crawling soon, 8.17 told you, last mile recovery, aye right you were gubbed anyway....

Only excuse is that my garmin light doesn't work so struggled to get pace times right. I am hoping that these Monday runs will help replicate feelings of race pace as the miles go by.

Getting feed up of the same old story on race day, How did you get on is the usual question after a race we all ask, least you got round they say.

Any thoughts..........................

Hopeful delurking and posting may help me work through this a look at better training.

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Tommy - Sounds like a decent holiday. That race the train in August in North Wales has been one I've not been able to schedule but have always wanted to do.

It's good fun. I did it in 2017 when it was a complete bog and I lost to th etrain by about 3 minutes. My mate who's a similar pace to me did it last year in good conditions and he beat the train by 4 minutes. I need another go at it. 
  • Options
    Kevin - do you do parkruns? Do you stop then? I always felt more tempted to stop during a parkrun at 9am in the morning when I had no chance of a PB than I ever did in a 'proper' race. 

The next most tempting to stop were really hard training sessions where most of the time the only thing that prevented me were that once you've given up on a session once you can do it again.

• Options
    Hello Kevin, I am planning to do Alloa too but I keep forgetting to enter. There's no point giving up till you get to the big hill and that's not till about mile 10 so you might as well just finish it.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Kevin, I suffer with similar in that I have an overwhelming desire to vomit when I see or know I am closing in on a finish line. I have put this down to some form of strange panic attack. I suppose it is far less problematic being put in that position with 200m to go as I've learnt ways to cope such as roaring, but I do now keep going even if I am heaving quite aggressively.
  • Options
    I'll definitely have to give roaring a go....
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    its reasonably effective and also great fun when the home straight crowd join in!!
  • Options
    Kevin,

I believe that you can only run at what your physiology dictates on race day and adrenaline will only work for so long. So I don't really believe in race day magic. If you are kicking off highly adrenalised I can see how you might come down to earth with a bump, particularly if you are over-reaching and discovering discomfort earlier on.  I know full well how thinking about outcomes can adrenalise - every time I get my blood pressure measured by a white coated professional, the measurement is much higher than it would be on a home reading.  On the outcomes front: believe in your training, you've done the miles and you will not have any trouble completing the race. You need to persuade yourself that the race is not important: there will always be other races you can do. See the race as just part of a bigger picture of you enjoying exercise and in the spirit of curiosity, finding out what you can do. I would suggest to race frequently at short distances every fortnight and get used to the buildup process of arriving on time and preparing - which can be quite stressy. I would also say a good warm up routine helps in taking the edge off race day adrenaline. If you've ran 2.5 miles and done some good strides, you will have got used to a little discomfort. Practice this.

Take your mind off the race too. Have a chat with people around you - genuinely. Ask them about their shoes, if they're feeling up for it, if they've travelled far, if anyone is here supporting them etc.  Then when the gun goes off ease into the first 400m - don't think too much about target pace, just use the opportunity to relax and breathe easily and bring the effort up gradually to where you think it should be. Note I say effort, not pace. Back off from discomfort as soon as you feel it, but don't stop. The chances are you'll be starting fairly fast as pace awareness is not that good when you run in a crowd of people.
  • Options

Race Day Magic - what makes PB dreams come alive....... I believe!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Kevin,

So I don't really believe in race day magic. 

Here's a test for you.
    Go and run 10k on your own anywhere near what you just raced one at.

That be dem race day magic for sheezy.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    DT19 said:
    Kevin, I suffer with similar in that I have an overwhelming desire to vomit when I see or know I am closing in on a finish line. I have put this down to some form of strange panic attack. I suppose it is far less problematic being put in that position with 200m to go as I've learnt ways to cope such as roaring, but I do now keep going even if I am heaving quite aggressively.
    What the absolute f@ :D:smile:

Like a lion?
  • Options
    Great advice muddy.  I always get worried/anxious at the beginning of a race.  I never know whether to chat to people or concentrate on stretching etc.  Then the gun goes off and you're away and you're like "what the hell is happening here, I didn't sign up for this".

But you did sign up for it and you'll be absolutely fine as long as you don't do anything stupid.  

• Options
    Stevie G said:

It's not "magic" though. It's well known that running in a group reduces perceived effort. That's why folks bunch together and train as a group. Yet I couldn't run a fast 10k with my clubmates under most circumstances either.  Generally I'm faster on race day because I am benefiting from less fatigue due to a taper; optimised  clothing for cooling down; less knackered shoes; less hazards on the course, and then there is perhaps other stuff like caffeine loading that I might benefit from (I forgot to have a coffee before my last 10k as it happens). If I did all that and tapered, sure as shit I could run that 10k pace with my fastest clubmate leading me round.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

You and your hazards, Muddy!!

Yes SG, a lion would be an excellent choice of comparison in this situation. It's basically just a big release of noise/pressure so sometimes the noise may sound more like a man being kicked repeatedly during a mugging or something similar.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Challenge for you then.
    Set up whatever scenario you like outside of a race, and mirror that race performance then.

If you can't, it's officially magic  :p
  • Options
    Stevie G said:
    Challenge for you then.
    Set up whatever scenario you like outside of a race, and mirror that race performance then.

Can.  Worms.  Open.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Incredible DT. I'd enjoy seeing footage of that. People around you must wonder what is what.

I've run with someone who screamed all sorts out to motivate themselves, and I've run with an annoying bastad who insisted on me barking splits out the whole time, but roaring? That's amazing.
  • Options
    Stevie G said:
    Challenge for you then.

We need two return flights to Barcelona and all the traffic stopping for a bit along the seafront :) Best performances often need particular elements to align !

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I remember last year at the Worcester half, as I turned a bend into the finish straight I let out a huge roar and the poor girl stood on the corner jumped out of her skin. I heard her say to her friend as I continued that i'd scared the crap out of her.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Oh you have to do it on a "proper" course Muds.  :D

DT, the "other" end is by far my greater concern, albeit it pre-race. Bus from my thread has similar issues (well...retching, not the rest of yours ;) ) . I just can't imagine working to a level that brought that on.
    But then I'm sure others can't imagine storming a massive heap out 1min before race :)

• Options
    Stevie G said:

It's not "magic" though. It's well known that running in a group reduces perceived effort. That's why folks bunch together and train as a group. Yet I couldn't run a fast 10k with my clubmates under most circumstances either.  Generally I'm faster on race day because I am benefiting from less fatigue due to a taper; optimised  clothing for cooling down; less knackered shoes; less hazards on the course, and then there is perhaps other stuff like caffeine loading that I might benefit from (I forgot to have a coffee before my last 10k as it happens). If I did all that and tapered, sure as shit I could run that 10k pace with my fastest clubmate leading me round.
    I'm with SG - I can imagine a situation as you describe above where you would be able to do that because set up as a bet then you would create some race day magic but that is what it would be not all that other stuff. I used to wear same clothing and shoes for races as training and never caffeine loaded and at times my taper was minimal - race day magic was still worth about 30 seconds a mile. 

Now I always trained alone so some of that was the running in a group thing but how often in the smaller races have you found yourself running on your own and the pace is still way better than training paces.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Stevie, very rarely is it work load induced. It happens to me when I parkrun at tempo, run halfs at mara pace etc. It is essentially a form of anxiety/panic attack (something that affects no other part of my life). The times it doesn't happen are when a finish line pops up unexpectedly ie the Welsh castles relay the finish line is a tiny affair and normally not visible until you are about 10m away, plus as the race length is somewhat random you don't know it is coming.
  • Options
    muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I do shorter than race efforts (e.g. 5k at 10k effort) on some decent parkrun courses, and the pace and effort align with what I would expect in the equivalent race.

At the moment I'm in good shape and probably around half pb shape (5:50 min/mile on the flat) and I ran 5km on the flat at 5:50 pace in my rehearsal run on Sunday (slightly overdressed, long sleeve top, older pair of race shoes) without once looking at my watch. The effort was exactly on half effort. Although it was a Great Run Local event, it was a time-trial - the nearest finisher was at 24 mins - so perhaps we can discount race day magic applying there ? I've looked at my training paces for effort in controlled circumstances like these; I've looked at race pace for effort and the only difference is that I'm sustaining the effort for longer. But I'm not going faster for longer.

If 30s per mile of race day magic is available, I'm racing the half at 5:20 pace !