Comrades 2019

Comments

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I think its a bout a tenner Max. When I ran Blackpool half a couple of years ago there was a mobile engraver there doing instant results, they said they would have done extra ones at a discount if I had brought them!
  • Dannirr, those are really great - fantastic work. I just made use of the fact that the wardrobes have louvred doors. Not sure what I will do when I run out of doors. I didn't expect that to be a problem, until I started running with SVN and both the individual size and rate of accumulation of medals increased somewhat!
    Max, I can see that it's worth getting your Comrades medals engraved properly (check somewhere that does e.g. engraved tags for pets, and/or engraved trophies). I've gone for the much cheaper option: I bought an engraver tool for about £15 so I can engrave my own. Not nearly so neat on the engraving, admittedly, but more cost-effective, given the number of medals I need to get engraved. I've not engraved the Comrades ones yet. Might pay to get those done properly.
    Speaking of engraving, I've been thinking about getting myself an ID/ICE bracelet. Anyone got any experience of these, regarding comfort, longevity and practicality? There appear to be options of silicon with the wording engraved on the inside (fixed size and adjustable options); silicone with an engraved metal plate on the outside and a metal clasp; webbing with Velcro closure and small card that you write on and slip into an integral internal pocket; webbing with an engraved metal plate and a Velcro closure.
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Debra, I have one of the silicone with metal tag and clasp ones.  It is fine and never troubled me when I wore it.  I don't tend to use it now as I've always got my phone with me and that has ICE info.

Medals go in a plastic crate.  I'm onto my second of these.  I might get the World Marathon Majors ones properly displayed if I manage to complete those and the same for my Comrades medals if I manage another four.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Loving my certificate...

• Becca, thanks for that - useful info.
    Lowrez: nice certificate.
  • Nice certificate Lowrez, very smart. Thanks for the engraving info, sounds reasonably priced, unless you've got hundreds then DIY does sound the best way to go!
  • Southern SnailSouthern Snail ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Lowrez - if only i had a global enterprise like that :o

RR - Thanks. Compression tights a good idea. Must search mine out and yes preparation is obviously key, working out meals etc. Fortunately only 20 mins from home. Not sure the running will be the easy bit though  :)

My medals are all hanging off a handle on a pull out cupboard in the kitchen. Will probably fall off one day and the noise will completely freak the dogs out!!
  • Lowrez - impresses to see you overtook over 4100 people between 5k and the finish - that’s over 100 runners every kilometre!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Thanks SD :) I love that splits block, I know the overall time is unimpressive, but I executed my game plan bang on; wanted 33m per 5k through half way with the half in 2:20 giving me the beacon of the finish line to haul in within a further 2:30. And then running the mental total in the second half as those 5k blocks dropped and continuing to push as I faded knowing I had to keep under 10 minutes over; 25k at +1, 30k at +3, 35k at +5, 40k at +8.5, arrghhh... but then of course knowing I had under 2k to go with that final 1.5 still in hand.

The feed stations were absolutely packed with fading runners comforting themselves with the fodder on offer in the second half, so glad my usual strategy of a back pocket packed with local gummy worm variants and therefore only a need to supplement with water paid off too - there were vast numbers of water tables every 2.5k giving me a good choice on when to sweep in for a hit and avoid congested waiting lines.

Between 30k and 35k I overtook more than 1,000 suffering souls which was exceedingly good for the ego and further contributed to my dogged mind set that everything was still unfolding with the sub 4:50 dangling before me.

The division was quite stark too for the attention seeker in me; first half had a ton of waving, a handful of outside bend high fiving, etc, although on those they had an official with a yellow flag on the apex - never seen that before - so I had to glide away out of reach of the crowd to pass in front of the inscrutable official and then I could cruise back to the crowd. Second half I just stayed mid-road, out of trouble, pushing on with the occasional bit of banter from surprised locals when a podgy westerner cruised by.

Funny how a table of raw stats can bring back a heap of memory and imagery :)

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019

Ice ice baby (I mean Debra)

Also Camel wrote a song about it which I was fortunate to hear live last year in Manchester - the bloke on keyboards is blind.

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    Well, got into OCC.  I've got some training to do!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

OMG Dannirr, you mean the OCC below? Starting from Orsières through the Val d’Entremont valley and on over the eastern flanks of Mont Blanc through the franco-swiss frontier coasting past hanging glaciers, over polished rocks and fiery torrents... hang on - this is sounding like Lord of the Rings!

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Happy New Year Everyone.

Perfect timing TCP - 4:44:44.  Congratulations.

Congratulations Lowrez on qualifying.  Now please remember that you might have to do some preparation before June the 9th.

Nice medal collections on show.  My regular medal were on a wire coat hanger (now relegated to the wardrobe.  Comrades medals are in a coin cabinet.)

I went for a run on New Year's Day and injured myself - those pesky hips again.

I am very excited to say that I am now showing on the start list.  Can't wait.  Everything will be devoted to getting to the start line

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Wonderful news that you have confirmation Bike It! I do indeed have a comprehensive training programme in front of me:-

20-Jan Four Villages Half Marathon - this has become notorious for being cancelled 5 minutes before the gun goes due to icy conditions
    29-Jan Massive Attack
    02-Feb Tears for Fears, but it is the support act I really want to see, Alison Moyet
    28-Feb Brit Floyd
    14-Apr Boston Lincs Marathon
    28-Apr London Marathon
    19-May Chester Half Marathon
    25-May Liverpool RocknRoll 5k
    26-May Liverpool RocknRoll Marathon

I'm taking this weekend off, but will be back to training the weekend after - which will be the 4 Villages - an extremely hilly half! Of course I will run a bit in between all that, and try to continue my pathetic efforts at strength training too.

Hope your NYD injury evaporates quickly!

• Debra BourneDebra Bourne ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    lowrez: I would love one of those. Unfortunately they don't deliver outside South Africa (I just emailed and asked). However, if I can confirm someone to have it posted to while they are over there in June, that could work...
    Danirr: wow! Good luck with that!

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Debra, if you buy one now and get them to post it to Bike It, it might just have time to arrive there before Comrades!
  • Alison Moyet - Have a great time. What a fabulous voice she has.

Debra - was thinking the same re Bike It. If you're going to get an ice band that has to be the one :)

Bike It - congratulations on the Comrades entry :)   Hope the hip settles soon.

Dannirr - good luck with that. When is it?
  • Bike it! I had missed your comment. SO pleased that your entry is finally confirmed. What a relief for you. Good luck for the hip settling soon. 
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    She's got to do Love Letters hasn't she SS, just got to!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Oh no! Midnight Oil are playing Manchester Apollo on Sun 9th June, whhaaaatttt???????  
  • Yay BikeIt - a painful process but glad to hear you’re in!
    Lowrez - the OCC is exactly like the Lord of the Rings. Trolls, dragons, all sorts. I didn’t have the heart to tell Dannir before he entered...
  • . Wow, that is some race Dannirr, best of luck :) Great news at last BikeIt! To add insult to injury it took them only 2 days to process my email and shove me in all my glory onto the website. No doubt I will be mobbed by crazed fans all the way from Durban to Pietermaritzburg. The price of fame I guess  :) http://comrades.com/comrades-news/my-comrades-story-by-max-mladenovic 
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Max, I want your autograph! Loved your story; put a massive smile on my face, what an incredible journey you have had. Proud to have shook your hand in Pietermaritzburg :)
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Debra - seems if it is the right kind of ice it can be shipped out of South Africa, or are they sending your hamper to Bike It's house Max? :):)
  • lowrez: the company that makes the ICE ID wristbands has had too many shipments abroad go astray, and had to refund the customer - it gets expensive.
    Max: congrat - a great story.
  • Thanks lowrez/Debra. Pleasure was all mine lowrez! I noticed it said I had won a hamper, not sure how they are going to get it to me. Perhaps it's a virtual hamper. They do of course have my address, so maybe I can look forward to receiving it....around 2020 based on BikeIt's experience of the SA postal system!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

I know what's going on with the post, its pretty hot in South Africa, so when they send it out it just melts in the envelope and looks like its been stolen. You would have thought they would have figured that one out!

• Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Max, I enjoyed your story. As a runner of many previous Comrades, but now partly out of proper action due to my own heart issues, your 'journey' is inspirational to me and I'm sure to many others.

Bike It, I'm glad your entry was finally completed - a bit of a marathon itself!  I hope your injury resolves soon.
  • DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    Lovely story Max - and glad you are well