Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• shades, gutted not found any turkeys on offer when been shopping, we bought some lamb and beef which we've been making stews and casseroles from but no turkey :-(
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Steve - I get up at 4:30 and have a coffee or two before heading out for my run.  Sad that I now  get up at the same time I used to go to bed when I was a party animal.

Hope the new shoes are a good fit when you finally get to try them out.

I can tell your aerobic fitness is back, you're raring to go and really enjoying your running.

Robert - leisure centre where I go is heaving too and  we're back to having to book classes as soon as booking opens, which for us is 10 days ahead. 

That's improvement doing 2 decent runs close together.

I'm a great fan of M & M Direct and have bought a lot of running kit from them.  But just lately their running shoes are dearer than some of the sport's retailers. The ASICS 2000 and 1000 were £69 and £65 respectively plus delivery. I paid £55 for my 1000's incl delivery charge.  A few years ago M &M were selling off Adrenalines for £35, I bought 4 pairs. Too popular a shoe now to be on there 

Got my frozen turkey in Sainsbury's, reduced to £10 , it's 5.6 kg so will feed me for a while.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rob-I've never ran further than 20 training for a marathon,but the 20's I did were the hilly ones so prob equivalent to about 22 anyway,and I feel a lot better for them.
    Looks like I'm doing New York ,opens next week and I've got a gfa based on my half time,it's first come first served rather than how much under so hopefully get in if I apply on the day.Planning on going on the Wednesday so there for Halloween then fly back the Monday.Its a week after Frankfurt but New York is never gonna be a pb course anyway.
  • Ian New York sounds exciting, as you say not a fast course, however most who I've spoke to seem to enjoy it. 

Shades, best prices I find adrenalines now are £95, I'm fairly happy with the guides at £60ish when I can get them, will still keep an eye out for adrenalines but don't hold out much hope. Up and running were selling 3 pairs for £139 a few years ago... the good old days.

Just bought some Saucony Guide iso (with discount and Free Delivery) on sportshoes £53.99. Not sure about the colours white with yellow trim and tints of gold, It will be either them or my Adrenalines that i'll be wearing at DD.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Ian, New York sounds fantastic!  Steve, are you still hoping to do that this year?

I went along along to the 6x1k session. It was cold but I had a great run with splits of 3:57, 3:53, 3:46, 3:44, 3:46 and 3:37. They’re not accurately measured but close enough. 

Very pleased with that as that should convert to a sub-20 5K fairly comfortably I think (I was hoping for all under 4mins for the 6).  If I’d done that session on my own I doubt I’d have got near those times but I was running with a group tonight which helped a lot.  I’ll have to think about what pace to go out at for the 10k - I haven’t raced one for a long time so no real idea at the moment!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Ian - great news you're planning to do NY.  I loved every minute I was there, the Expo, the marathon, the shopping, was a great trip.

Robert - ouch that's expensive for the Adrenalines, I've seen them at less than that but not by much but haven't really been looking.  I have one pair in my training stable and only just started using them.  But for training shoes I wouldn't want to pay that much.

That's a very good price for the Guides ISO.  I agree their colour range has not been good.   I've run DD in Adrenalines and Guides, so both will do you well.

Big G - your splits were fast, sets you up nicely for the 10k.

5 miles for me today, very cold and frosty.   Wore my new shoes GT 1000's, lovely shoes, really impressed with them and they are a lovely colour, royal blue.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Shades, yeah, it was one of those runs.  Maybe you get it sometimes too where at the start you're thinking "I don't fancy this!", but then it ends up being a great run.  That was me last night. 

I had to remind myself what my 10k PB is and it's 42:37 from First Chance 2017.  If I put a 19:59 5K into McMillan it comes up with 41:30.  If I put my actual PB of 19:40 in (based on last night, I think I could possibly beat that on the right day) it comes out at 40:51.  On this course it is dependent on weather as if it's windy it can disrupt this race a lot.  I'm not going to bother tapering for the 10k - I suppose I may do slightly less on the Saturday - but I'll be aiming for a PB if it all comes together on the day.

I'm kind of looking for a fast Half but I don't want to travel too far for it....  My PB course, Bideford, is on 3rd March but I already have a marathon I'm looking forward to, which is on 2nd March.  I'll see if I can find any other Halfs that coincide with a free weekend, within a couple of hours of home as again putting a 19:59 5k into McMillan predicts a Half PB.  Putting a 3:20 Marathon into McMillan doesn't, though....which shows that my marathon PB is still a bit soft I suppose.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    I am really hoping I get in New York as,with Halloween etc it will be a really nice few days for us.It says it's not guaranteed but they do first come first served so hopefully if I'm on quick enough Monday I'll be near the front of the queue but no idea how many they accept.They let you know before the ballot result so hopefully flights won't move too much.
  • Ian - Superb that you are doing New York, depending on entry.
    Big G - Unfortunately not doing NY this year now. With a wedding to save for, I think I'll probably wait until Manchester 2020 to have a crack at a PB, as I know that's a fast course. Not saying no to an autumn marathon, but tempted by Bruges Half in October for a long weekend away and a fast HM course.
    Shades - IMO it's the best time of the day to run! Yeah I've been to bed later than when I run now!! Yes, enjoying being back running, the cycling was good while I was injured, but I did miss not running. Looking forward to March when my HM plan starts for Edinburgh, hoping for a fast time there if training goes to plan.
    A 4:50 start for a 9 miler today, with the last 2 at MP (6:56/6:52), those felt tough, but hoping that they start to feel easier.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - well weather depending I think you should aim for 40:30, or be very brave and aim for sub 40.

Not sure on fast half marathons round here, I believe Yeovil is fast and flat, not sure if that clashes with any of your other races.   Taunton is much faster now as they took the big hill out of it, so still undulating but a fairly fast course, I think HA did 1:25 on that course and a lot of runners do PB there.

Ian - hope you do get that ballot place.  If not there's always the sports tour companies, not the cheapest way but entry guaranteed.  

Steve - I agree, definitely the best time to run, I was out later today about 5:20.
  • Shades, found a pair of Adrenalines for £81 on runrepeat in black (yuk), seems when I've looked for Elle you can sometimes find womens at better prices.

Big G those splits seem pretty fast to me, hopefully will convert well for your 10k.

Ian good luck New York, Hope there are no issues

Steve, I did Manchester last year and have deferred my entry for this year to 2020. I found it fast when I did it, very flat other than a mile at half way.  loads of long roads so no bends to slow down on.

Hopefully not putting the mockers on it but my PF seems to be behaving and hardly felt anything since Saturday evening.  Just going to continue with the stretching and hope it does appear again!

Going to my 1st club session tonight for over 3 months 1km reps, will try to keep a tempo pace rather than 5km pace and see how I go.

Elle's been informed that her job will be going term time (works in a school) so probably be looking for a new job as the drop in income isn't ideal. 

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Steve, ah, that makes sense then with the wedding to save up for.  I enjoyed the Bruges weekend when I did it last year - I'm not sure of the Half course but Bruges is basically flat.  Good MP miles in there!

Ian, fingers crossed you get into NY then.

Robert, fingers crossed about the PF.  You know this of course, but be careful with the interval session as I suppose that may aggregate it more.  Bad news about Elle's job - hopefully she'll find something else soon.

I did a gentle 4-miler this morning.  The old legs were feeling it a bit after last night's session (calfs particularly), but the run loosened them up.  Cold but sunny conditions again here.
  • Went to yoga this morning but have decided against pilates this afternoon as my left shoulder is being horrible. (It's an ongoing problem - I don't have a full range of motion in it - but it has been particularly bad the last few days). I decide to pop out for a little (4 mile) run at midday instead. It was OK but once I stopped my groin was horrid. I'm part of a steps challenge on Garmin so I decided to walk around the block to get my steps up to 10,000 and it felt really off. Much better once I'd done some stretches and a bit of self-massage. I wonder if all the warriors I did in yoga upset it somehow.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Go for sub 40 and hang on,with your endurance you might surprise yourself.
    Rob-Hope Elle manages to get sorted,tough times when that happens.
    8 miles after work today,feeling really good now.I'm planning my last session next Tuesday,any opinions on whether I should do a MP run or the hilly loop?
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian/Shades, to be honest sub-40 seems out of reach but I suppose you never know.  I'll see how I feel on the day!

Ian, I quite like doing some MP miles before a key race if I can, as the pace can feel quite easy for just a few miles which can be a confidence booster.  But other than that, no opinions really.

Shades, Weston Super Mare Half has been recommended to me as a flat/fast one....but it's the same day as Tavy 13.  Hmmmm.  A few further afield have been suggested too, but I'm not sure if I want to stay overnight somewhere for one.  I'll have a further think about it, and maybe see how I get on at the 10k first.

Cal, sounds like you've got a few niggles there.  Maybe the yoga aggravated a few things, as you mention.
  • Ian- Hopefully you get into New York it looks a fantastic race.
    Robert- That's not ideal regarding Elle hope she will find something soon.

8 miles today in mild conditions which was not bad. Run felt very sluggish which I'm putting down to not having much sleep due to getting up every two hours to take the new puppy out at night.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Robert - I always think there are more bargains in the men's shoes, but I think the reality is when you look at the sizes available.  Amazing bargains in women's shoes if you are a size 3.5 or 4, but unfortunately I'm in with the most popular sizes now so less choice for me.   I'd love a pair of black shoes, they are hard to find.

Bad news about Elle's job, hope she can find something else that she likes. 

Cal - sorry to hear your shoulder and groin both giving you trouble.

Ian - are you still planning to do the time trial with your club pre GC in place of having a half to race?   Re next Tuesday I think you should do the hilly loop as you always seem to feel good after doing that session.

Big G - yes, you have to decide on the day when you're on that start line how you're going to race it.   The reason I said sub 40 is that should you finish in say 40:20 having run an evenly paced race you're going to question whether you could have run 4 seconds a mile faster to get a sub 40.   As you don't have lots of 10k races available you might not get another chance for a while. 

I think an overnight stay for a half marathon is a bit OTT unless you were combining it with a visit.   But you could drive up on the day up to a fair distance away.    Maybe you can defer your Tavy entry.   WSM will be flat but I expect could be very windy there, but we're always at the mercy of the weather.

steven - hope the puppy lets you sleep soon.  How long do you have to get up every 2 hours in the night, doesn't there come at time when you just have to ignore them.

7 miles for me today, lovely morning, not so cold about 5 degrees and no wind so quite pleasant.   

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-I'm closer to sub 39 now I reckon and I'm not over a minute quicker than you so go for it.
    Shades-I'm not too sure now,I did that self time trial last week and that has given me a good idea of where I am up to.
    Looks like I'm going to end this week on 56,which is my highest of this cycle,does 40 sound about right for next week?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - you don't need to do that time trial, tough session for an evening run anyway.   Yes, 40 next week will be fine.

Just seen this marathon, on my wish list for another year but I guess not too far from you.  It says undulating, that could mean anything but might be useful for you.

https://www.time2runevents.co.uk/info2.cfm?info_id=228680
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I forgot to say that I can't do Yeovil Half as I'll be in NL that weekend (it's the weekend before Rotterdam) so that one's out.  With that in mind, I am having a look around for Halfs that weekend in NL, but still not finding much.  I think it's WSM or nothing I'm afraid, but as you say it could be dependent on the weather there too so current plan is to stick with Tavy 13.  I'm doing that one and Humdinger as they're hilly halfs in prep for DD.  I was hoping for a Spring half marathon but there's Bridgwater Half at the start of September, which I've pencilled in, as that could be a good test before Berlin too and may help keep me motivated over the summer.  I have ran well at Bridgwater Half before as I got a PB there one time.  It's a Club Champs race too so there should be quite a lot of Trotters there.  I think next year I may try and leave Bideford Half weekend free - I do like that race anyway.

Anyway, 10-miles done today.  Fairly hilly in parts, a bit of good offroad/track and some nice views.  I took my time and a nice run out.
  • I wanted to run today but my hip was bothering me during the night. I thought I might be able to run anyway but common sense won. I have a hard time resting when I have a niggle. If you think about those old cartoons where the character has a devil self and an angle self encouraging him to do good or bad things, it was my angel self who forced my lazy arse out for a run when my devil self wanted to play computer games and eat chocolate. So I can't help feeling like I'm listening to my inner devil when I try to rest, even though I know logically I am being sensible. I have to tell myself that my goal is my parkruns and races, not my weekly mileage totals.
    How do you guys deal with this?
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, I know where you're coming from with the inner devil/angel thing.  Tom Williams on Marathon Talk talks about his "Inner Homer Simpson" - i.e., his default position would be Homer Simpson-esque, but once he's out the door he's happier.  

With injuries/illness though it's not a question of being lazy if you need time off; it's understanding that a few days rest does you good in the long run.  I try and keep moving (unless ill and in bed obviously) and keep active as best I can, even if it's only gentle walking, and try and keep eating healthily.  I suppose it's acknowledging the bigger picture and understanding that a few days off (even a week or two off) in reality doesn't do much in terms of your overall fitness (I know that at the time it feels your fitness is slipping away rapidly, but that's not really the case).  Also, just keeping in mind that taking the time off when needed will help you get to the start line of those races and parkruns in the future.  Not easy though :(  

Also, on occasion, an enforced short rest is sometimes a good thing as then you a) come back stronger and refreshed and b) enjoy running even more when you remember how much you miss it when off.

I do sometimes wonder that about following a plan actually.  I really like following a plan, but it's hard to take a day or two off when it's written there in black and white what you should be doing.  I think it's getting the balance, knowing your body, and thinking that the plan is there as a guide really, but again not always easy.
  • Big G, I share your concerns about following a plan, with a few niggles I was unsure if it would be sustainable and made this years marathon targets more just getting round rather than PB specific.  Big G if you went for the sub 40 for the 10k and threw everything at it, do you have enough time to recover for whatever race you have after? 

Cal in regards to targeting miles vs race performances it's a matter of retraining your brain, the main thing is feeling good and strong about your running and not chasing arbitrary numbers.  Hitting 30/40/50 miles a week doesn't help if some of those miles a re sluggish/ making injuries worse.  But doing quality training (less is more) is of more benefit.  Having my 1st setback through injury recently after the initial 'i'll battle through this and i'll be okay' I stopped, rested and am now slowly building it back up over the next few weeks.  I have had a big setback in fitness (part down to me being 'homer simpson') and it has affected plans for 2019.

Shades that Gregynog looks right up your street, it's another one popped into the favourites list.

Steven I'm glad I've never had a puppy, just need to remind myself of this post when I consider it again.

My PF felt a very little bit tighter yesterday so decided to miss the club night and veg out on the sofa, will go for a couple of runs over the weekend will probably try somewhere between 13-15 miles tomorrow.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Robert, yes, racing the 10k still gives me time to recover.  No problem there I don't think.  I think a day or two max of easy running and I'd be back to normal, more-or-less.  I'll just decide nearer the time what I want to do - if the weather's crap, I'll still do my best, but the nature of the route means that a strong wind can slow the runners down.  If it's calm weather and I'm feeling good, I'll definitely give it a crack.

Basically, the plan in terms of races before Malta is:
    - First Chance 10k - 20th Jan
    - Exmouth 5-miler - 3rd Feb
    - Darwin Marathon (won't be racing this one, so aiming for 3:45-4hrs ish) - 8th Feb
    - Humdinger Half (hilly) - 10th Feb.  All being well, this should be my largest week in terms of mileage, and then I'll reduce the mileage in the run up to...
    - Malta Marathon (target event) - 24th Feb

That doesn't feel too much for me when I look at it and is pretty much in line with what I did before Malta last year (I did a marathon before Malta last year too, although it was in Jan and not Feb).  The Humdinger Half will just be whatever it ends being - it's a great event and I'll just see what I feel like after the Darwin marathon.  Everything else feels fine for me....as long as I remain injury free!

I suppose I'm looking for a "feeling" of sorts.  I can't explain it better than that, but last year I just felt like I was running well.  I'm not at that stage yet though...hopefully it'll come.
  • I've had another walk and tried running jogging a few steps and hip seemed OK for that - I think it's just tight. I'm just super paranoid about it because my TFL cost me all of Autumn '17, so that's not something I want to go through again. This feels more like glute medius and one of the hip flexors. I'll do parkrun tomorrow and then see how it goes for my long run on Sunday. The Monday massage ought to help.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-That looks a bit of a distance,will keep an eye on it and see how it develops.
    Cal-I find that when I'm busy and need a rest I just take a day off,if I miss a 10 mile run,then over the course of a 16 week cycle it's really nothing so look at it that way.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - frustrating when race dates clash, it happens too often.   Bridgwater is a good option if you can wait that long.   I did Chippenham last year and easy fast drive on the day, think that's early September too.

Cal - it's one of the hardest decisions whether to rest/not rest when you've got a niggle.   Many times we set off carefully for a run and a niggle that's worrying us just disappears but then again it could hurt like hell/get worse and hindsight tells us to run wasn't the right decision that day.   I always base my decision on what I would tell a friend if they asked me if they should run or not.   

No training plan is set in stone and if a runner has a niggle they should rejig the plan to suit, that is at worst rest and not run, at best ditch all speedwork and only run at the slower end of their easy/long run pace and depending on the niggle maybe stick to the flat too.  No returning to any faster running until niggle has healed.

Ian - that race is 200 miles from where I live but thought it was only about 75 miles from you, my geography is not brilliant for that part of the country.

Robert - I'm still trawling looking for another bargain pair of shoes for training, on a website I put all the filters in including my size and a pair of Brooks Glycerin came up at £55 which is a mega bargain as they are very high up my wish list and a very popular shoe.   However, when I looked at the shoe details in small writing it said 'from £55', even though I'd put the filter for my size when I requested my size the price of the shoe doubled to £110.   I've seen that marketing trick on a few websites, very annoying.

7 hilly miles for me today, climb of 819 feet according to Mapometer, overstated I expect, I only record 85%.   Lovely morning for running, we've got a few more days of good running weather before the next cold snap.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I had a nice run this morning.  I can to parkrun a bit early, did a couple of extra laps on the tarmac track there, did the parkrun and then tagged a bit on at the end to make up a 10-miler. It all felt quite easy, although the parkrun ended up being around 8s I think (the whole run was 9s), but I had a good run out.  Warm enough for just T-Shirt and shorts, although I did wear a high pair of gloves too.

That's 51 miles for the week, so far.  I have ran every day this week, but it's my biggest training week following a marathon (except when that week includes a marathon, if that makes sense?!).  I'll probably do a shortish run tomorrow, and then I'm off to London on the train late morning.  I have got a short route planned for when I'm in London so all being well I'll keep the miles ticking over, although it will drop slightly compared to this week.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I just presumed as it was in mid Wales it was pretty far but actually now I've looked properly it's not too bad.
    Had a change of plan today and met some mates and did parkrun,ran 2 miles there then a few miles after brings me to 50 for the week,same as most places today it was pretty windy but came out of it with no niggles.Im glad I've put myself down to work next Sunday or I could have got talked into doing a half next weekend with them.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that's a good solid week's training, especially coming off a marathon last weekend and you were able to include a speed session too.