Comrades 2019

Comments

• Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭
    Max - Great Story and good to see it making the Comrades email as well where I am sure more people will have read it.  I actually started running about 15 years ago because a friend had a heart transplant asked me to do the Great Wall Of China marathon with him, for transplant awareness.  It was my first marathon, and I am still surprised I did anymore as it wasnt the easiest of starts to marathon running.

Well done lowrez and Marty

I seem to have entered the Gloucester marathon this weekend .. oops.
  • lowrez, sadly unless someone can lend me both a time machine and a teleporter, I won't be at Comrades this year: I will still be making my way towards Eastbourne along the South Downs Way when you all set off from Durban...
  • Thanks for the story Max, certainly shows that we shouldn't put limits on what we can do.

Booked my own flights today, arriving in Durban (via Heathrow & Joburg) at 14:25 on Fri 7th so will take the airport bus to the Hilton to sort out registration & then it looks like a ~2k walk to the Blue Waters hotel where I'll stay 'til Tues 11th.

That's it now, 100% committed! 
  • Thanks for the feedback on my story. Hopefully meet McHilly and Fido at the Silkin Way and Stratford, and looking at qualifying times, Marty and JKissane in Pen C on race day. Peter, great that you have kept going for 15 years after your heart transplant friend got you started and a nice Pen B qualification this year! Mac3, if you see someone in a hoody with a dubious beard, moustache and dark glasses at the Expo you'll know it's me in disguise hiding from the fans  :D:D
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

I know a guy called Frink who has both Debra...

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Peter, Gloucester was my plan B if I couldn't get to Xiamen, I like how you've just inadvertently stumbled into it... am I right in thinking that there is more than one wall of China marathon, and, that they are all pretty much duds in terms of getting a reasonable time out of them? I can imagine they are extremely congested because of the "bandwidth" and so they are mainly an "experience" rather than anything serious?   
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Max, I am, as ever, an impostor, but I too will be in Pen.C. I have never beaten 11:52 so far, the charity boost is the only thing keeping me in the game. Although Dannirr did make the very sound observation that you do what you have to do to get home, I agree with that perspective, although on some occasions scary desperation is about all my engines have been running on by the end!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Comrades 2019 Qualification
    27Aug Qualification Starts
    16Sep
    Goodwood (M) justanothrrnr-Q3:54-PenD
    16Sep
    Berlin (M) Running Rodent-Q4:44-PenH
    24Sep
    Emilia-Romagna, Italy (IM) Peter R-Q3:48-PenB-Going-for-Green
    07Oct
    Chester (M) seren nos-Q4:28-PenG, marty74-Q3:25-PenC
    07Oct
    Bremen (M) Becca7-Q4:28-PenG
    07Oct
    Chicago (M) Mc Hilly-Q4:40-PenH, Slow Duck-Q3:57-PenD-(or-E)-Going-for-Double-Yellow
    14Oct
    Leicester (M) Max Mladenovic 2-Q3:35-PenC-Going-for-Back-to-Back
    21Oct
    Amsterdam (M) mordo-Q4:39-PenH, Mac3-Q3:20-PenC seagypsy-Q4:20-PenG
    27Oct
    Beachy Head (M) Debra Bourne-Q4:48PenH
    28Oct
    Marine Corps (M) jkissane-Q3:21-PenC
    04Nov
    Soweto Marathon (M) Bike It-Q4:46-PenH
    04Nov
    New York (M) Matt..-Q3:59-PenD
    18Nov
    Mega Challenge (M) TCP-Q4:44-PenH
    02Dec
    California International Marathon (M) Dannirr-Q4:36-PenH
    06Jan
    Xiamen (M) 1owrez-Q4:48-PenCC
    20Jan
    Gloucester (M) Peter R
    02Feb
    Pilgrim Challenge (U) mordo
    17Feb
    Seville (M) Mac3
    17Feb
    St Valentine's (30k) Becca7
    25Feb
    100 Marathon Club AGM (M) TCP
    02Mar
    Book Day Challenge (M) TCP
    03Mar
    Tokyo (M) Becca7
    09 Mar
    Samphire 100 (U) Debra Bourne
    17Mar
    Utrecht (M) Mac3
    24Mar
    Canalathon (75k) mordo
    30Mar
    Silkin Way (U) Max Mladenovic 2, Mc Hilly
    06Apr
    South Downs Way 50 (U) Debra Bourne
    07Apr
    Rotterdam (M) mordo
    07Apr
    Manchester (M) seagypsy
    13Apr
    TinT Fortitude (M) TCP, Southern Snail
    14Apr
    Boston UK (M) Terry48, Debra Bourne, 1owrez, Dannirr
    14Apr
    TinT Gauntlet (M) TCP, Southern Snail
    15Apr
    Boston USA (M)
    15Apr
    TinT Dauntless (M) TCP, Southern Snail
    16Apr
    TinT Resolute (M) TCP, Southern Snail
    17Apr
    TinT Perseverance (M) TCP, Southern Snail
    18Apr
    TinT Adversity (M) TCP, Southern Snail
    19Apr
    TinT Intrepid (M) TCP, Southern Snail
    20Apr
    TinT Indomitable (M) TCP, Southern Snail, marty74
    21Apr
    TinT Unbreakable (M) TCP, Southern Snail
    22Apr
    TinT Invincible (M) TCP, Southern Snail
    28Apr
    Shakespeare (M) Max Mladenovic 2, Fido2Dogs(½)
    28Apr
    London (M) Becca7, 1owrez, thomasclowes, Dannirr
    02May Qualification and
    Race4Charity (PenCC) Closes
    09Jun
    Comrades

Accommodation
    Belaire
    Terry48, Becca7, Mc Hilly, Max Mladenovic 2, Mac3, justanothrrnr
    Hilton 1owrez, Dannirr, Running Rodent, Peter R
    Blue Waters jkissane
    ONOMO TCP, marty74, Slow Duck

Flights
    Terry48
    AF LHR-CDG ArrJNB26th09:55 Ret12th
    Max Mladenovic 2
    KLM/AF BHX-AMS ArrJNB4th Ret15th
    TCP BA LHR-JNB-DUR ArrJNB6th09:15Dep15:40ArrDUR16:45 Ret?
    Peter R BA ArrDUR6th Ret11th
    thomasclowes, serenos
    BA LHR ArrDUR7th05:35 Ret18th
    1owrez
    BA/VA MAN-LHR ArrJNB7th06:30Dep08:55ArrDUR10:00 Ret10th
    Mc Hilly VA/BA ArrDUR7th Ret10th
    jkissane LHR-JNB-DUR Arr7th14:25 Ret11th
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Some bloke running a marathon...

• Can't be. He's smiling. No-one I know smiles while running marathons.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Same bloke smiling running Comrades, well actually I am standing still and facing completely the wrong way! I suddenly realised I had run past the crew and missed my hug, so this is the one and only time I turned around and ran back up the road - in any race I can remember actually - I was on for 11:53 at the time so knew I had a minute or two to spare :)

Are you in for Comrades this year Liam? Tell us your story and your up coming events. Have you qualified yet? And we will add them to the list. What medal are you pitching for? 

• Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    The man in that photo isn't dressed as a stormtrooper or obscure superhero so I can only conclude that 1owrez's fame is such that runners are now dressing as him.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

I am smiling in this one too, honest, it was only a 10 miler though - I was concerned that if I did this in China I might not make it back, or worse still even get through customs going in, the blaster might have been a little contentious - as it turned out I was a complete celeb just being me in Xiamen - didn't need anything to stand out from the crowd. Rumours have it that Batman will step out at the 4 Villages on Sunday! But probably not the Batman you would expect!

• Mac3 - looking at that list I’m hoping you’ve noticed that the Utrecht marathon has now been moved to May? I had that on my list too, but there are new organisers this year and they’ve changed the date.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Blimey its gone completely out the window, literally, good job he stepped out in Amsterdam already!
  • lowrez: Good photos.
    N.B. I'm not running SWD50 on 6th April - I'm running NDW50, 18th May.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    lowrez: yes, but I'm not doing that next year. And I must fit in two recces for NDW 50 and four for SDW100 as well as the two for Lakeland 50. Might go for Wendover Woods in November, since I won't have the 10-in-10.
    Agree it was quite warm out this morning - very mild for the end of December. As for the person taking photos: !!!!
    Ooo baby I love your ways Debra, quite confusing, although I see my lack of attention to detail now!
  • lowrez: yes, I see that could be confusing. I would have entered for SDW50 as well, but I have a conference I need to go to for work, that clashes (every year...). So if I want to do a Centurion Grand Slam (has crossed my mind) it would have to be the 100s (unless I get a new job). I did 5 x 50 mile events in 2013, but only two were Centurion ones - they didn't have Chiltern Wonderland or Wendover Woods back then.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Comrades 2019 Qualification
    27Aug Qualification Starts
    16Sep
    Goodwood (M) justanothrrnr-Q3:54-PenD
    16Sep
    Berlin (M) Running Rodent-Q4:44-PenH
    24Sep
    Emilia-Romagna, Italy (IM) Peter R-Q3:48-PenB-Going-for-Green
    07Oct
    Chester (M) seren nos-Q4:28-PenG, marty74-Q3:25-PenC
    07Oct
    Bremen (M) Becca7-Q4:28-PenG
    07Oct
    Chicago (M) Mc Hilly-Q4:40-PenH, Slow Duck-Q3:57-PenD(or E)-Going-for-Double-Yellow
    14Oct
    Leicester (M) Max Mladenovic 2-Q3:35-PenC-Going-for-Back-to-Back
    21Oct
    Amsterdam (M) mordo-Q4:39-PenH, Mac3-Q3:20-PenC seagypsy-Q4:20-PenG
    27Oct
    Beachy Head (M) Debra Bourne-Q4:48PenH
    28Oct
    Marine Corps (M) jkissane-Q3:21-PenC
    04Nov
    Soweto Marathon (M) Bike It-Q4:46-PenH
    04Nov
    New York (M) Matt..-Q3:59-PenD
    18Nov
    Mega Challenge (M) TCP-Q4:44-PenH
    02Dec
    California International Marathon (M) Dannirr-Q4:36-PenH
    06Jan
    Xiamen (M) 1owrez-Q4:48-PenCC
    20Jan
    Gloucester (M) Peter R
    02Feb
    Pilgrim Challenge (U) mordo
    17Feb
    Seville (M) Mac3
    17Feb
    St Valentine's (30k) Becca7
    25Feb
    100 Marathon Club AGM (M) TCP
    02Mar
    Book Day Challenge (M) TCP
    03Mar
    Tokyo (M) Becca7
    09 Mar
    Samphire 100 (U) Debra Bourne
    24Mar
    Canalathon (75k) mordo
    30Mar
    Silkin Way (U) Max Mladenovic 2, Mc Hilly
    07Apr
    Rotterdam (M) mordo
    07Apr
    Manchester (M) seagypsy
    13Apr
    TinT Fortitude (M) TCP, Southern Snail
    14Apr
    Boston UK (M) Terry48, Debra Bourne, 1owrez, Dannirr
    14Apr
    TinT Gauntlet (M) TCP, Southern Snail
    15Apr
    Boston USA (M)
    15Apr
    TinT Dauntless (M) TCP, Southern Snail
    16Apr
    TinT Resolute (M) TCP, Southern Snail
    17Apr
    TinT Perseverance (M) TCP, Southern Snail
    18Apr
    TinT Adversity (M) TCP, Southern Snail
    19Apr
    TinT Intrepid (M) TCP, Southern Snail
    20Apr
    TinT Indomitable (M) TCP, Southern Snail, marty74
    21Apr
    TinT Unbreakable (M) TCP, Southern Snail
    22Apr
    TinT Invincible (M) TCP, Southern Snail
    28Apr
    Shakespeare (M) Max Mladenovic 2, Fido2Dogs(½)
    28Apr
    London (M) Becca7, 1owrez, thomasclowes, Dannirr
    02May Qualification and
    Race4Charity (PenCC) Closes
    09Jun
    Comrades

Accommodation
    Belaire
    Terry48, Becca7, Mc Hilly, Max Mladenovic 2, Mac3, justanothrrnr
    Hilton 1owrez, Dannirr, Running Rodent, Peter R
    Blue Waters jkissane
    ONOMO TCP, marty74, Slow Duck

Flights
    Terry48
    AF LHR-CDG ArrJNB26th09:55 Ret12th
    Max Mladenovic 2
    KLM/AF BHX-AMS ArrJNB4th Ret15th
    TCP BA LHR-JNB-DUR ArrJNB6th09:15Dep15:40ArrDUR16:45 Ret?
    Peter R BA ArrDUR6th Ret11th
    thomasclowes, serenos
    BA LHR ArrDUR7th05:35 Ret18th
    1owrez
    BA/VA MAN-LHR ArrJNB7th06:30Dep08:55ArrDUR10:00 Ret10th
    Mc Hilly VA/BA ArrDUR7th Ret10th
    jkissane LHR-JNB-DUR Arr7th14:25 Ret11th
  • lowrez, I've been thinking about Comrades for a few years now. Been mulling it over in the background but never seriously. Next year being 2020 and all that, I'm thinking about doing something different / special, and the more I read about Comrades, the more boxes it ticks. I've done about 20 marathons (including 7 x London), the most "special" so far being Boston 2017 (the year it was too hot. Way too hot for a Scotsman). Boston was incredible, but I was walking long before halfway and was taken off the finish line in a wheelchair by an old dear, which was not my proudest moment. Still managed to get GFA at London 6 days later, though, despite actually not being able to walk properly.

Marathon PB is 3:05:05, so you can guess what my ultimate goal is. Currently signed up for Barcelona, Manchester and London marathons this year, as well as a few halfs. Thinking about Loch Ness, but dunno. I can't see me getting GFA this year, but should be able to qualify for Boston next year.

If I do Comrades, it'll be next year, and negotiations have been tentatively started with SWMBO. She hasn't outright said "no" so we're off to a good start. Which medal? Who knows? I know what I can do over 26.2 miles, but 56 is a whole different kettle of fish. Add in the hills, and the African weather, and who knows? I'm sure everyone else on this thread could estimate my potential time at Comrades better than I could. A cliché I know, but I would be planning to finish under 12 hours, and anything better than that would be a bonus. It sounds like Comrades is genuinely about the distance and competing - you can't help but compare marathon times but Comrades is a unique race over a unique distance, and therefore kind of incomparable. My plan would be to set off at a conservative pace and see what happens.

Am I right in thinking that the down year is physically easier than the up year? 2020 being a down year makes it feel less daunting, but it would be good to have that confirmed by those who've don both.

I'm very jealous of everyone running this year, and I would dearly love to be there next year. Never been to South Africa, so would be an awesome experience I'm sure. Ideally could be running Boston and Comrades, that would certainly mark 2020 as a special year, no matter what else happens.

I'll be "loitering with intent" on this thread, so looking forward to seeing how you all get on this year. Good luck all.

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    rodeoflip: Wow; you are a very accomplished runner and I would expect you to eat Comrades for breakfast, but you do have to give it due respect. There are some crazy calculators that can be brought to bear on your stats to give an indicator of how well you might be able to do. Having a crack at some other ultra distances first will begin to give you a level of confidence about going longer. I would say the down run is more difficult to "manage" than the up, it is much more "technical", but I am a bit of a plodder and won't hit anywhere near the thresholds faster people will. To me the up run is a great day out, a war of attrition over all those climbs, but it doesn't batter you the way the down can. Here's hoping you can get out to SA in 2020, it is a wonderful run.  
  • "Down" runs are meant to be easy, but Boston taught me that that's not necessarily the case. And that's nowhere near the elevation changes involved in Comrades.

Nothing wrong with being a "plodder", if & when I do Comrades that will be my plan from the start!

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I think our celebrity Max Mladenovic 2 needs to comment on your potential rodeoflip; debuting last year on a down run and achieving an incredible result he's illustrated what a first timer can achieve with a well planned intelligent assault on a down run.
  • Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    Running Rodent - thanks for pointing out re Utrecht.  I did get a note from the organisers on this and I was disappointed as it did fit nicely into the schedule.  It was also on St. Patricks Day and I was intent on a green outfit :-) I might still do it on 12 May as it's my local race but only as a training run, or the half at least. 

@Lowrez, not wishing to create too much extra work for you but on your next update can you remove Utrecht from the list now but add in Rotterdam on 7 April (Mordo - should try to make contact somehow, perhaps at Expo).  I'm not doing Seville 17 Feb, as I opted for a 1/2M at Tunbridge Wells.  
  • Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    That's what you call a hug Lowrez! Great pic.
  • That would be interesting, but there's already a problem. You mentioned "intelligent".

I'm the guy who raced three marathons last year, two in record temperatures and set off in both at sub-3 pace. Needless to say, finishing pace was slightly more than sub-3.

I must try this "intelligent" strategy you speak of someday.

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I have on many occasions, and no doubt will on many again, gone off too fast with great bravado simply because I can, and it feels so good, and this time it will last for ever, aaaannnnddd ccraaasshhheeedddd terrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrribbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbllly, sometimes discovering a second wind, but not very often. I would say there is nothing wrong with over-respecting Comrades on your first two goes. There is a lot to lose in that first completion and the back-to-back, but following that there is nothing wrong with having a go. I did that last year off the back of far too little training and whilst I breached half way on target I crashed horribly in the second half. It was only Slow Duck giving me a push with 3 miles to go that got me over the line in 11:55... that was 55 minutes off my target! But if I had gone the wrong side of 12 I would not have been too cut up, there is enough kudos in knowing you executed the game plan to achieve your goal even if it fails, you learn a lot by taking risks sometimes.
  • Good Afternoon All. I will being doing comrades this year in which I am based Nr Durban and have an accommodation package available( at my home) Please private message me if you are interested. Apologies if wrong forum but not sure where to post it . Gary Comrades 59855
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Hi Gary, you are going for No.6 I see :) have you had a bad time these past 2 years? Sorry if I have raised something you might not want to discuss. Have you qualified yet? Thanks for the lodgings heads up.
  • Hi Rodeoflip and Gary, welcome to the thread! I don't think there is a correct answer to which is easiest, up or down? Neither is easy! And both have lots of up and down! The challenges are slightly different on each ( laws of physics say up must be more effort, but down is more pounding on your joints) I think if your instinct tells you that down is easiest, then that is the one you will find easiest! Also, be warned its very addictive, most of on here probably only intended to do it once, but find ourselves returning....so you'll probably get to experience it in both directions.