Comrades 2019

Comments

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    Mc Hilly said:
     most of on here probably only intended to do it once, but find ourselves returning....so you'll probably get to experience it in both directions. 
    Ain't that the truth!!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I think I am happy (is that the right word - happy like Sherlock Holmes was about cocaine) with my addiction - do you think we need rehab? 
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Wow! I think I have a new heroine.
  • 1owrez said:
    I think our celebrity Max Mladenovic 2 needs to comment on your potential rodeoflip; debuting last year on a down run and achieving an incredible result he's illustrated what a first timer can achieve with a well planned intelligent assault on a down run.
    Lowrez, you may be arrested for false advertising. 'Newbies' will be looking me up on the net to see who this celebrity is :D! As for my race last year I'll allow well planned in the description and thanks for the kind comments. Great to have you on-board Rodeoflip, I have no real idea why everything went so well for me last year, but here are my thoughts to be read with due sceptism: As  you are hovering around 3 hours for the marathon then I would say 8:00 would be a good top-end target, with 8:15 - 8:30 a good target. If you were being more cautious then sub-9 would be about right. That all implies doing lots of miles ( I did 1,000 from Jan - June, others did more, others less), lots of hills, leg strengthening exercises and at least 1 ultra (just for the psychological boost). On top of that I studied the race profile in detail and set targets for the cut-offs and average paces for uphill, flat, and downhill (based on great advice I got on this forum!), scheduled 1 minute walks in every 10K or so, and even factored in time for a few toilet breaks :) then I stuck to the plan on race day including slowing down if ahead of schedule. I did 8:40 off a 3:23 marathon but I think in retrospect I was incredibly fortunate that my Comrades went perfectly. I think ignorance was bliss as I had no idea how badly wrong it can go, and if it does a sub-9 can turn into a struggle to make the 12 hours pretty quickly I would think. If you have finishing as your main target I would head out at 9 hour pace and just see how you feel, but don't be tempted to speed up. As lowrez says, you can always wait to have a real go at it at some point in the future once you've got a medal or two under your belt. My main advice though would be to ask questions on here and take away things that you think are good ideas and can work for your style of running/racing but also be open to adapting as well (I would never had considered walking as part of race strategy until I saw how many people advised it for Comrades - and it worked for me). Really hope you enter next year, it is a great race and experience.

• Thank you Max, you're only making this itch worse, and the wife hasn't given me permission to scratch it yet! The ultimate barometer of any race is the number of people who do it time after time, and especially where it's a race involving such commitment as Comrades, and it's clear from you guys and from a basic internet search that this isn't just another race. I'll be following this year's race with great interest - good luck to all of you running in it!
  • Rodeoflip - Welcome. Will your wife go with you? The lure of a great holiday is always good for permission to enter

Max - Don't forget to check the use by dates in your hamper!!! Could take months to get that one. If I remember rightly you were also in charge of your "bus" for a while during last years Comrades.
    Well done on all you've achieved. Keep healthy.

When I click on runners world it now seems to go to .com - but the forums are the same. Presume they've changed the format and that its not just me :(
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Plus rodeoflip; we all buy her a pint :)

Very observant of you SS. Looks like they are shifting content about. So www.runnersworld.co.uk has been re-directed to www.runnersworld.com/uk but the forums were always hosted elsewhere on https://forums.runnersworld.co.uk I guess that server has "vanilla" on it and they are keeping that separate from the main site content which they may have consolidated onto the us server to save costs... oops bloke in IT starts spouting gobbledegook again!

• you're talking dirty again Lowrez!!!
  • Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    My access still goes to/via the .co.uk web address.  Those of you now on dot.com must have been brexited! :)
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    SS, someone told me today that a marathon is "exactly" 20 miles plus 10k (he said continuing his need to fill sentences with weird nomenclature :))?
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Hi Terry, are you jumping in to the forum via buttons in e-mail notifications? They are all still in England's green and pleasant land. Its all the other runnersworld content that has flown the nest to the US. They'll probably build a wall around it next, we better start practicing our tunneling skills!

• lowrez: yes, quite a run from Jasmin Paris. I'd say "I want to be like her when I grow up" but although we share a profession, as I'm not only considerably slower but also older, it is perhaps a bit too late for that. I -have- thought that if I manage to work out staying awake overnight on 100-milers and get the Lakeland 100 under my belt in another year or two I might apply to do the Challenger - or at least the summer version of it - I'd need more winter hilltop experience before tackling the winter version, I think.
  • Even non-running people in my office are talking about Jasmin P - nice to see ultra running getting some mainstream coverage. It was an astonishing run from her - the first man, and also the existing record holder,  was 15 hours behind her.
  • Amazing run from Jasmine Paris. I watched her interviewed on tv this morning. Full time job as a vet and a young child

lowrez: yes, quite a run from Jasmin Paris. I'd say "I want to be like her when I grow up" but although we share a profession, as I'm not only considerably slower but also older, it is perhaps a bit too late for that. I -have- thought that if I manage to work out staying awake overnight on 100-milers and get the Lakeland 100 under my belt in another year or two I might apply to do the Challenger - or at least the summer version of it - I'd need more winter hilltop experience before tackling the winter version, I think.
    Matthew chapter 6 verse 13 - and lead us not into temptation!!
  • Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    1owrez said:

Hi Terry, are you jumping in to the forum via buttons in e-mail notifications? They are all still in England's green and pleasant land. Its all the other runnersworld content that has flown the nest to the US. They'll probably build a wall around it next, we better start practicing our tunneling skills!

Ah, so that's what's different! I do get in via the emails.
  • Snail: no use quoting the NT at me - not my religion!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

RR - He let her win :) No no! I never said that! A lot of other people were talking over me! What?

I love these multi-day events, how far can you go? Women are not only excelling at these distances they are wiping the floor with the competition! Massive winning margins. 

Debra, I'm looking forward to you stepping up to these distances and following the tracker trace!

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    So if you scroll on up to the top of this page Terry and give any of the other headline items a click like EVENTS or GEAR or TRAINING etc you will end up in .com land outside of the Brexit zone!
  • Nor me Debra. But I’m easily led :)
  • I entered New York marathon today or so I thought. I’ve never received an email back from them. It was a strange entry form. Has anyone else entered?
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I've done that before SS, but not this year, let me go look at what came back...
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

It was a few years ago SS not sure if they still do it this way but I got an e-mail confirmation...

• Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Snail, I’m in for New York and have had an email but I had a guaranteed place. When you registered you should have registered with NYRR so that’s the best place to check if it’s all gone through. My recollection is that emails don’t always arrive right away, or at least aren’t sent right away. 
  • I did it on the official site. The process just seemed to end a bit abruptly I thought but I did have to register with a password etc. Will go back and see if I can log in. Thanks
  • Thanks both of you. It appears that all I did was register - not enter :| Anyway, now I think I've entered!! and have a picture of my entry confirmation. It's quite expensive. Assumed it would be like London. The bit asking for URL got me for a bit but I've done something that it accepted :)
  • Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    I've also applied for NY.  I luckily met the good for age qualification time from my last 1/2 marathon but there are only limited entries for that, or else it's the luck of the draw. Expensive indeed.
  • I'm not actually expecting to get in. Tried 10 times for London and haven't so far but you never know. I'll see you there Mac if I do
  • Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    I'm really envious of all you NY marathon entrants. It's a great race.  I ran it in 1981, while living in New Jersey at that time - long before any of you were running marathons!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    A friend of mine, yes, that's it, a friend, looked at the Athens Marathon having baulked at the cost of NY, said it was 30 EUR! And what better race could you go for than the one that started it all, its like getting to Unamatrix Zero in Star Trek!