Thursday January 17th - I'm a sonic reducer, ain't no loser

Morning!

What: Treadmill. Probably around 8k.
Why: Away from home for work. -10C and snow outside. Hotel has a treadmill. Miles.

E

Comments

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Morning!

Lyrics: no...and this appears to be the first thread!

Sounds cold Espen! Where are you?

What: short run plus fitness suite

Why: Thursday

LMH: what TR said! 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Not often we get the joys of a photo finish or two threads;-)

Espen: That is cold no wonder Treadmill is the option of the day.

What: Aberafan run
    Why: It s warmer by 2-3 degrees and to run in daylight;-)
    Last Hard: This cold but winning the battle
    Lyrics Nope
    Last rest 8/1

Usually around 5 miles on the prom and handy to have a choice of two toilets :#
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Think this one just sneaked in?

What - easy run
    Why - Thursday's are easy 
    last rest - December
    last hard - Tuesday
    Strange run yesterday lunchtime, supposedly 'easy' recovery, averaged sub 8s and felt ridiculously comfortable. 

Followed the climax of the spine race. No idea why anyone would want to do the Pennine Way in January though. I did it in April a few years ago and that was grim enough! 

• I should have waited another minute  :)

My miles are all slow TR/Alehouse!

Hope your hamstring and sciatica are settled today chicksta. My hamstring feels much better walking  which is why I was surprised by how much I could feel it on yesterday's run.

I'm with you on that Dustin.

Sounds chilly espen - it's cold enough here but fortunately not too slippery so I'm hopeful of being able to get a few miles in outside.

Enjoy the relative warmth Poppy.

What:              short and easy somehow (I hope)
    Why:               I feel the need
    Last hard:       remembering when I last felt 100% (or as close as I get:-)
    Last rest:        14/1

Lyrics - no.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Espen: Strike a light! -10!

Hope you chaps recovering from racing, illness and injuries are taking the cold snap as an oppurtunity to take it a bit easier.

Real cold snap started here, really biting wind, thick ice everywhere, rained during the night and has frozen and white stuff has just stared falling, not true snow but the fine powdery stuff whiting everything over, dark clouds.

After all my pontification about shorts and t-shirts the other day, I think I will be wearing my shell jacket.

What: Late morning run
    Why: Get out, sea will be rough, go and have a peek down the North Bay.
    Lyrics: Heavens above, it's a no
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    morning all

chick I think the reason I was so interested in the woman who won was the smashing of the record, the breastfeeding at stops, and the interest my club has in equalising xctry distances.  It's massive! She did so well!
    espen wowsers that's cold!
    Chick my sciatica is a bit easier after a 5 mile run last night, mad eh?
    Benjy enjoy your late run
    LMH enjoy  the short run, I think my hamstring was tight while the back was really bad
    Dustin, nice when that happens! 
    WP, oh oh, hope the run was ok!
    alehouse enjoy your run

I currently have a black eye, have had for a week now.  Had a thing removed from under my right eye last week, a BCC, sort of skin cancer but not too worrying.  I wish the swelling would go down now as it is bugging me! Back 6/3 for then to tell me what's what.

what: rest day so 1.5 miles this  morning, yoga tonight
    why: thursday
    last hard: this morning I guess
    last r est: 31/12/16

have a good day all, January zooming along already....

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    lyrics no, enjoy the treadmill espen...
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭

Morning all

yesterdays lyrics were January by Pilot, just seemed apt

What: rollers AM d&d mtb PM

Why: Thursday fun

Last hard: Tuesday

Last rest: October 31st

Lyrics: No

For personal sanity I try not to comment on what people do in training these days

Nice to see TR pop in , seems ages since I saw him :¬)

• We had a light dusting of snow this morning Benjy - hope yours doesn't come to much.

Wabo - I was reading an interesting article yesterday that said that people who had BCC had a higher life expectancy than average, they think it's something to do with the beneficial effects of exposure to the sun. Hope your black eye heals soon.

One size - or solution - doesn't fit all Gobi. You know that better than most I'm sure.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    LMH, that is interesting to see, I am trying not to read too much lol but might check that out! The doc did seem to be impressed that I run and said that could well be why I got this one
  • Quick drop in as I need to get out soon to do my run!
    Conditions sound a bit dodgy for some of you today.

What: 10 miles with some 150m strides in a bit (haven't done those before so will be interesting to work out how to do them)
    Why: P&L
    Last rest: 16/1

Lyrics: no
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Sorry, posted in wrong thread this morning

What: went to a bird sanctuary today
    Why: it was in the plan
    Last hard: this may be quite hard work for my wrists especially (it was, but there was luckily a wheelchair so got pushed round where possible)
    Lyrics: maybe

Have removed strapping this morning to see how my mobility is. Foot is quite blue and still swollen.  Will restrap it once it's got a bit of air! Can do a few steps on it (to the shower and back!) But now it's aching a lot.  Trying to minimise crutch use indoors so I don't lose all strength in leg. 

Lmh sorry to hear you're not sleeping. I guess it's to be expected at the mo.

Have a lovely day all
  • Afternoon!

Progress, Emz! Ice after "exercise", and elevation?

What: 35 minutes with a stretch of the Achilles every k, thereabouts

Why: beautiful day here, albeit a little nippy, so took advantage. Wore plenty and was just right! Will still go to the fitness suite this evening, also. Achilles grumbling, hence the stretches.

Heal well, Wabo!

Hazel: I always find "strides" a confusing term. At one time it used to refer to 70-80 metres concentrating on form at 75-85% effort; any further than 80 metres and it was felt that it wasn't possible to maintain the form, for most. I would take 150 metre strides to mean 75-85% or thereabouts effort, turning the legs over faster than normal without over-exertion. I think!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    LMH - I said nothing and I say nothing, even now I am saying nothing
  • I think that you should feel able to express your thoughts though Gobi. I find people's opinions interesting and something to give consideration to even if ultimately I decide not to act on them.
  • Espen: wow, that's really cold. Are you somewhere in Scandinavia?

Dustin: we all love them "holy shit" runs. They don't happen that often.

I'd be interested in your opinion too, Gobi.

LMH: I would agree with TR and Ale and personally wouldn't do a long run after having raced a half like but you know your stuff and your body or else you wouldn't be able to knock out these amazing performances time after time. It would break me for sure. We're all different and that's a good thing.

Hazel: You're knocking out some really impressive miles. I like strides a lot. 150m is difficult, I agree. We have a small park near work with a 100m track, so those are easy to do. I think when the 150s come up in my schedule I will just do 100s instead and do a few more. Or do them elsewhere and go by GPS knowing it won't be 100% accurate.

Heal well, em and wabo. Yoga helped with my sciatica and today my osteo poked and prodded and mumbled things like "you have been letting your exercises slip in favour of mileage". She's right. Oops :#  Some rather painful piriformis work ensued.

Poppy: Nice to have a place to go to that's a bit better for running. I've only got the gym and I'm sick of it. But better weather is forecast. It will get cold (-5 at the weekend when I'm racing) but the pesky wind and the horrid rain will finally stop.

What: 5 miles on the dreadmill / yoga day 16
    Why: wanted to be able to stop in case hammy got worse again (it didn't)
    Last hard: running with a dodgy leg
    Last rest: 21/12
    Lyrics: no

• I did the long run on Tuesday chicksta which was probably too soon after the race but I did take a rest day the day before and it was the worsening weather forecast that motivated me to do it then. Good to hear that your hamstring is manageable.
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Not anymore , I can't face it these days.

Easier just to leave people alone. If they really want views and help they find me.

I just smile :-)
  • What: Ben Venue in ice and snow
    Why: when in Callander
    Last hard: the ice (at least twice)
    Last rest Saturday
    Lyrics: not a Scoobie
  • HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    emzap to work that leg a bit you could try some basic exercices - straight leg raises, clench and relax your quad muscles, bend and straighten your knee - things like that.  You can do all of those lying down.  It is amazing how quickly the muscles start to weaken and how long it takes to build them back up again.  A couple of days won't probably be a big issue but a couple of weeks and you will likely notice it (been there, done that...)

Hope you had a nice daylight run WP.

Good your hamstring is improving LMH.  I hope the short and easy did it good.

Jealous of your peek at the sea Benjy.

Hope that eye improves soon Wabo.  You are right about January - Christmas feels like it was a long time ago already.

Thanks for the strides advice Alehouse - I am fairly familiar with the 100m ones - do those pretty regularly but wasn't sure how to approach the longer ones - whether to take longer to build up the speed or do the floating (or whatever its called) for longer.  I went for the latter option today and found it quite tough - in particular maintaining a decent form.  Need to work on that and if necessary slow it down a bit.  It is all measured by GPS on a flat bit of tarmac anyway so likely inaccurate.  I do have access to a 100m school track but it can slippery and finishes right next to a rather solid beech hedge.  Need to put the brakes on early enough as it could be a scratchy experience at this time of year.

Good luck for your race at the weekend chicksta - don't envy you with the temperatures. Hope the hammy and sciatica don't hinder you too much.  A question if I may:  Have you ever run the marathon in Hamburg?  A guy from my Tuesday group has signed up for this year (April).  Maybe you have a comment I can pass on?

Gobi: are rollers simple to use?  I was thinking about getting some to do some cross training with my (oldish) bike.  Nothing fancy and it seems to be a fairly cheap solution compared to a turbo trainer or a home trainer.  I hate cycling outside in cold weather!  I'm a bit worried about falling over because I'm not going anywhere if you get my meaning.  

Sorry for all the questions and ramblings.
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Turbo would be safer - Haz 

Rollers are all balance
  • espenhbespenhb ✭✭✭
    Lyrics: Dead Boys - Sonic Reducer.
    I live in Trondheim, Norway. Been staying a few nights at a hotel in the mountains for work. Running outside in -10C is feasible, but I couldn't be bothered packing that much clothing. Besides - not that many sidewalks up in the mountains.