Training plan ideas

Hi folks I'm currently making a marathon training plan.Ive done 5 marathons in the past,PB is 3:50.I'm trying to fit a tempo run into my schedule.Im wondering if it's ok to do one before a long run.
My plan is this currently 
Sunday 5m easy(due to work)
Monday intervals 
Tuesday medium run 
Wednesday possibly tempo though don't like running 4 days in a row due to injury history.
Thursday rest or tempo 
Friday long run.

So wondering if Wednesday or Thursday would be best.

Comments

• TTTT ✭✭✭
    It might be a stupid question but do you need to run five times a week? If you replaced your easy run with cross training (which you could do on another day) everything would fit more easily. There are arguements for running less but much more intensely then using cross training. Bike? Cross trainer? Swimming? 
  • TT said:
    It might be a stupid question but do you need to run five times a week? If you replaced your easy run with cross training (which you could do on another day) everything would fit more easily. There are arguements for running less but much more intensely then using cross training. Bike? Cross trainer? Swimming? 
    I work night shift Saturday to Thursday.On a Sunday I don't have much time for anything other than a few miles as I don't have time to eat and let it settle,I usually just have a banana and coffee then run.
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    I think it's fine to do a long run the day after a tempo, provided the long run is easy and you don't push the pace. I don't think there's anything wrong with what you've got planned but here are a couple of alternatives that have an easy or rest day between anything of substance, which might help given your history of injury.

S - Easy
    M - Alternate weeks intervals / tempo
    T - Easy
    W - Medium
    Th - Easy or rest
    F - Long

or

S - Easy
    M - Intervals
    T- Easy
    W - Medium with tempo finish 3-5 miles
    Th - Easy or rest
    F - Long
  • Honestly I'd cut you down if I trained you. If you have injury history and you're working a night shift your recovery patterns are going to be affected. You'd be better doing 4 runs a week, with the intervals and tempo as your 'harder runs' and two lower intensity runs to compliment.