New runner. Couple of Problems so far

Hi all.
I have been running since beginning October 2018. At first I struggled to run 400m without stopping. By end of October I could run 3k without stopping  Currently I run 10k per week, either 10k in one go or 2 days of 5k. My time for 10k remains at 1h5m. Not been able to better this. So my problems. 1) the first 2k I really struggle to breathe, lots of heavy breathing but this eases the more I run. I cough a lot and get tight chest if I do not have scarf and take fishermen friend before I run. I often get a lot of calf pain in one leg, not sure if it's the soleus. I am having physio done for weak ankle ligaments and right hip muscle weakness. I sometimes struggle to have the will power to run more than 3k, can give up quite easily if I am not careful. I took up running due to bad cholesterol levels. Some stats.
I am male, 30yrs old. Best 10k time is 52m which I achieved when I was 18. My weight fluctuates between 100-105kg.

Hope to take part in many 10k races, even if its virtual races. 

Comments

• YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Hi all.
    I have been running since beginning October 2018. At first I struggled to run 400m without stopping. By end of October I could run 3k without stopping  Currently I run 10k per week, either 10k in one go or 2 days of 5k. My time for 10k remains at 1h5m. Not been able to better this. So my problems. 1) the first 2k I really struggle to breathe, lots of heavy breathing but this eases the more I run. I cough a lot and get tight chest if I do not have scarf and take fishermen friend before I run. I often get a lot of calf pain in one leg, not sure if it's the soleus. I am having physio done for weak ankle ligaments and right hip muscle weakness. I sometimes struggle to have the will power to run more than 3k, can give up quite easily if I am not careful. I took up running due to bad cholesterol levels. Some stats.
    I am male, 30yrs old. Best 10k time is 52m which I achieved when I was 18. My weight fluctuates between 100-105kg.

Hope to take part in many 10k races, even if its virtual races. 

You'll benefit from increasing the frequency (if possible) of your weekly runs, and SLOWING down the pace (you don't need to go full pelt every time). As per your recent 1:05 10k, these are the recommended paces from McMillan:

Those two measures should lead to less aggravation on your calf and ankle ligaments, allow you to burn more calories, drop a few kilos, and your race times should decrease as a consequence. 
    take fishermen friend before I run. 
    Crikey, do they still sell those? Last time I heard them referenced was by Julian Clary!
  • I am not sure if the calf is down to leg mechanism alignment. I walk on the outside of my feet, when I run it looks all over the place, both supination and pronation. Someone suggested I should get a gait exam or similar, where I run on the treadmill to find suitable trainers. I purchased some insoles last week which I am yet to determine if any good. I am not too concerned about my weight, people always say I look lower 90kg, but I do agree this will help my ankles. I did use to do some weights before running so may still carry muscle mass. 

I am also doing race at your pace for motivation.

I will take your advice on slowing down and increase frequency.

Thanks
  • YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Someone suggested I should get a gait exam or similar, where I run on the treadmill to find suitable trainers.
    I'd swerve the gait analysis, but if you can access a treadmill whilst trying on a range of trainers (comfort's the key), that's groovy.

All the best.
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Head for a decent independent running shop. If you are anywhere near Hull try Andy at Humber Runner. What he does not know about running would fit on the back of a postage stamp! He had about 25 pairs of trainers out for a friend of mine, determined to sell them the right for them ones, which he did.