Morning :)

Good luck today, fellow racers

Today's lyrics: I really can't stay
I have to go away

What: race#3 of winter series (20+ k)
Why: i signed up for it
Last hard: warming up will be
Last rest: 21/12

It's minus 5 but i hope it will be sunny and it seems that the wind won't be an issue today.

Have a great Sunday.

Comments

• Morning.

Yesterday's lyrics - Slow Down by The Jam.

Enjoy chicksta - no wind is good.

Hope today's other racers have a good one.

Today and tomorrow are the best days for a long run here according to the Met forecast but I don't think the hamstring is up to it today - as ever I shall see how it is once I've walked Grace/when I get going.

What:            easy miles
    Why:             sanity
    Last hard:     ongoing in law situation
    Last rest:      14/1

Lyrics - possibly.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Morning!

Lyrics: no. re yesterday's The Beatles recorded Slow Down also, and that also was a cover version.

Go well racers!

What: short and easy plus fitness suite

Why: not exceeding the 10% per week increase rule.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Quiet here today. Everyone still out running?

Hope your hamstring played ball in the end, LMH.

A little over a minute faster than last time (1:35:54) but it was hard. We had freezing fog which always plays havoc with my asthma. So today was never going to be pretty. Lethal patches of ice added to the fun. Saw a couple hit the deck and nearly fell over twice myself. Ouch. Laps were 24:24, 23:44, 23:35 and 24:09. Had nothing in me to carry on the negative splits as I failed to get air into those lungs. Legs could have gone faster but rest of body said no. It was a lonely race too. Last time I had competition. Not so today. The woman in front was over a minute ahead and the next one over 2 mins behind. Definitely had more fun last time. Anyway, I beat my December time so I've got to be happy. Too bad I wasn't even 1st F50 today. The woman in front (who ran faster than me in the two preceding races too) must turn 50 this year as she's now listed in my age category.
  • A minute faster is good chicksta especially in bad conditions. Your FV50 rival must have had her birthday to have gone up an age category I'd have thought. My hamstring was a bit better today but I was sensible and just did an extra couple of miles rather than a long run. I scare myself sometimes, when I had a brain I was dangerous - it was only during my run this morning that it struck me that a week ago I ran a flat out half and there's no way I should expect my speed to be back to normal even if the hamstring wasn't dodgy. I can usually churn out slow miles post race with relative ease but it takes 2-4 weeks for speed to return and that's not factoring increasing age which is probably slowing recovery. Muppet.
  • Us runners are never happy, LMH. I went into today's race hoping I could knock 3 mins off without factoring in dodgy hamstrings, ice and breathing problems. At least I held myself back in the first few ks as I hadn't warmed up properly. We were a bit late due to the bad driving conditions and the loo queue was massive. I had only 10 mins for a few laps on the frozen track before the gun went.

Glad your hamstring behaved. My right one joined the left today. Not sure what to make of that ... I blame my funny gait due to ice :) no pain but I could feel it and that's wrong.
  • Re. my age cat competitor: they do it differently here. They bump you up in the year of a major birthday. In January 2013 I was listed as FV45 even though i was still 44 (my birthday is in May). Of course she may have celebrated her 50th this January :)
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Well race Chicksta  :)

Slough Black Park 10k for me today, aim was to really test the leg out to the 10k without issue... which meant trying to be a little conservative pace wise.... had aimed to go out at about 8:15s.... blew that out the window straight away. A nice two lap course with a slight incline on the 2 and 5 miles. Was starting to feel tired on mile 6 so was concerntrating on form and leg more than pace, which worked, no falls, and very little dragging, which was encouraging esp as was a trail race (abliet very compact and hard with the frost etc), splits below, which I am happy with. will wait for official results but watch says 50:08.

1) 1m - 7:58
    2) 1m - 8:05
    3) 1m - 7:52
    4) 1m - 7:58
    5) 1m - 8:09
    6) 1m - 8:05
    7) 0.25m - 2:01

Take care all
  • Afternoon

Good luck Chick and fellow racers

What 6.70 miles
    Why: Because I can
    Last hard: Weather and my lurgy
    Lyrics no
    Last rest 8/1

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Will done rfj and chick

Back home at last after a long journey.  Tube and the walk between moor st and new st stations not fun on crutches!  Someone nicked my Heathrow wheelchair transport too so had to wait ages for another to come.

Nap soon. Think I managed about 3 hours on the plane.

Ankle now blue on inside as well as outside.
  • I had not refreshed the page so I can see posts after Alehouse.
    Well done chick a great result especially with conditions  my asthma is like that so you did well!!

RFJ: well done on race and not falling over and sounds like you achieved what you wanted :)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Pretty sure I am a V50 from Jan next year but have to check.

What: 7 mildly progressive d&d 
    Bike PM
    Why: life
    Last hard: this weekend
    Last rest: 31st October
    Lyrics: familiar for sure

RFJ- I have a busy few months now so come April we should have a clearer idea for sure. :-)
  • Tri categories do it differently to running ones IIRC Gobi.
  • Arthur's Seat
    When in Embra ...
    Last rest yesterday
    Last hard: Friday
    Lyrics no

Well done Chicksta
  • Evening!

Running-wise you move to a new age-group on the day, or if it is a series of races, the age on the date of the first race is what matters. 

Nicely done, Chick and RFJ!

And welcome back, Emz! Will you be seeing the physio?

So I imagine Wabo is elated and RFJ is crying in his beer, football-wise.

37.4k for the week, which is the highest total for more than 18 months. I know it doesn't sound much and is not much more than an LMH long run, but I'm pleased! Just need to keep slowly building and aim for a decent summer's racing.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Oh lyrics just clicked!

Ale hoping to book doc's appointment tomorrow.

Early night needed here.
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    LMH - indeed

RFJ - nice one not falling over