Sub 3h15

Comments

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    OO yes entered for the annual lamping by you and your family. Need to get another place tomorrow for Luxembourg man who always visits that w/e.

Busy today, pruning the allotment then 20m hills on the road bike + 5m run. Chuffing cold in the Pennines BTW.

Arthur’s Seat is terrific, quite steep, great view, well worth the climb. Good way to work up an appetite for Edinburgh’s many good eateries.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Great news Poacher- £28 was a nasty shock though!
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    OO - any pace in a snow blizzard is okay.
    Jools - might be quicker to run up those hills.
    nicko - good treadmill session. Yes, fresh snow can be good fun to run in! Good luck for Sunday.
    Lorenzo - nicely ticking over.
    Speedy - no snow here yet.
    Poacher - I was hoping for a month or two without much work in the garden but it's gone beserk at the moment. Still haven't quite finished the new planters, yew tree saplings have arrived to edge the new path and need to clear the garage for a new shed which is due for delivery on Tuesday...
    Early start on Friday worked well last week, so did it again this morning. 20 miles @ 8:06/m. If you see photos of the junction where Prince Philip crashed yesterday, it's just before the six mile point on my Sandringham route (too dark to run along early in the morning at the moment though!)

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Nice 20, Gul. Just for your info, I have a shed and a garage and I think you get more storage space overall if you have the shed in your garden as a separate entity to your garage.

Off out for a 2 x 3 mile tempo over lunch. Sleet and rain due to arrive just after lunchtime so hoping I am ahead of the game.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    I was in the Haymarket area (West End), DT. Just checked and Arthur's Seat would have been a 5.4 mile round trip. I'll defo do it next time. On Wednesday I only had a very small window of opportunity to get out and the castle was the easiest place to head for.

WFH today, so managed a cheeky lunchtime 5 on the trails at 7.23 pace.
    17 planned for tomorrow, nice and slow.
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    I've just added up my total mileage since I started recording it in August 2009. I've run over 26k miles so more than the circumference of the Earth! (25k mi) :)
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Only 12,728 since 2007 here, halfway around the world. Must do better.  :/

• DT - LOL! It's arriving flat-packed, but I haven't prepared the site where it's going yet. Hope you got back before the sleet arrived.
    GD - nice lunchtime run. Enjoy the LSR tomorrow.
    Badbark - good luck on your next lap ;) 12,435 since 2014 for me (not sure how many prior to that) so better keep pressing on before you overtake me again.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

GD- I looked on you tube last night and the climb up to the top looks quite tricky with terrain so not sure I fancy that. I'll have been drinking from midday on the Friday and will need to be out again by midday Saturday to go to the game so it is all rather wishful thinking to some extent.

I've only been recording mileage since 2015 and that gives me 6.5k so I am some way off!

The rain didn't arrive here, though it was bloody cold and windy around the race course. Tempo was reasonable with a 2m wu and 1 cd, it was 3 at 6.40, 6.36 and 6.35 then 1 mile easy then 3 at 6.33, 6.34 and 6.33. Pleased that the 2nd block came out faster, however the first block was probably a bit too slow and I would have been happier had the first block come out at the latter pace and the 2nd block was a bit faster again.

Day off running tomorrow then a 17 sunday.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    was going to wait until 26th for the 33 year mileage total (I started recording on 27/01/86), but Badbark has sent me to the abacus a bit early ! 
    (great miles, btw, Badbark, for the relatively short period)
    Today's 5 mile trot puts my current total at 63,855 miles.   So, average of slightly under 37.5 per week . . .    

Gul - "flat pack shed" - that sort of phrase sends a shudder through me  . . .   :) 
    excellent 20, btw, and good session bagged at lunchtime, DT 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Amazing Badbark, long may it continue.
    Parkrun today, then off to the Lakes for a flying visit. Very cold here in the North East but the snow has cleared. 50+ this week looks secure.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Amazing stat archive there, Birch. I have some earlier miles logged somewhere for some half marathons I did but I doubt it would increase my current logged total by anything dramatic.

17 miles done this morning at 8.03 pace on a mix of road and canal tow path. Quads complained from the first mile and I knew that parts of the run, especially on the hills would be a bit of a grind.

I'll put it down to early campaign fatigue and adjustment as the body adapts to the increased effort and volume.
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

DT – A great tempo session. Enjoy the 17 

Birch – Brilliant mileage! That’s 2 ½ times around Earth!

OO – Good weekly mileage and I hope the Parkrun goes well

GD – Great 17 miles done. Every run I do is a bit of a grind :)

I ran 50k today training for the 100k race. My target was sub 4 hours so around 7:40 m/m. It all went very well and I managed the 31.1 miles in 3:55:56 with a negative split. The negative split was helped as I incorporated a Parkrun after 21.5 miles. I ran the Parkrun in 21:23 so around 7 m/m pace.  It got tough after the Parkrun but I managed to maintain around 7:40 to the end. This is a nice confidence booster after being concerned how much weight I’ve gained. I was 147 lbs pre Berlin and I weighed in at 156 lbs this morning. :# 

I'm top of the podium in Marathon Talk this week. B)

• Badbark - heard that on my run this morning! Always great to hear your name there. Impressive session this morning.

OO - I thought it was always chilly in the North East!  :#

Good going this morning G-Dawg

Just over 16 miles for me this morning at about 7:40 average pace. It was on my Box Hill loop so about 1,350ft worth of elevation. Tried to pick up the pace on the downhill bits to try and simulate the Boston course. Brings me up to 43 for the week so far, so aiming to hit 50 with an hour or so tomorrow morning.

I reckon I've done about 17,500 miles since I starting keeping a record at the start of 2009 so still a fair way to go on my round the world trip.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    It was a below par parkrun at Newcastle, the pace seems to have left me at the moment- 6:23, 6:18:6:16. Still scraped 1st V55 and 70% WAVA but the feeling was not good. Never mind, the Lakes are beautiful and devoid of tourists today, so me and Mrs OO did 9 miles round Derwentwater and had a nice lunch.  
    Great pace considering the hills Lorenzo
  • Badbark, what pace do you plan on running the 100k? Do you run faster for 50k in training or try to keep it at 100k race pace? I'm eying one up myself for October (if I can get the time off work). 
  • Speedway 10k in Chepstow this morning, perfect course and conditions; very well organised race with zero faff.

Felt very heavy legged and tires in the first 5k, lost a good few places after about a mile and a bit, but pushed through and felt more solid in the 2nd half. Managed to catch the runner I'd picked out as my marker in the final stretch and pass him before the finish line.

Pretty disappointed in my time of 39:44 (watch time), but it's a PB and my first sub 40. If I felt stronger at the start I could of held a 6:15 pace I think, so will give 10k another bash soon to try and get the 38:x target.
  • Disappointed with a PB Nicko? Don't be! If you think you can go faster that's good, you'll get another PB next time :)

20 miles in the bag, 20 seconds per mile quicker than last week mainly because it wasn't blowing a gale. Plus I didn't race XC yesterday of course.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Well done, Nicko. i think thats a good time at this stage when you havent been able to train consistently month on month. I once went 2 years without a pb of any description. I enjoy them all now!

Nice 20 speedy. 

Thats some training run, Badbark. 

Easy 17 for me today. Felt a bit lacklustre in myself and my mornings nutrition before going out was poor so last few miles were a right trudge. Came out 8.10mm and 143bpm which is all perfectly normal so no issue. 
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Good running Nicko, 40 min is quite a barrier and having broken it you could be considerably faster next time.  Chepstow is a lovely part of the world to run in too.

Nice running CC, DT, Lorenzo, BB (wow that's fast), GD, and even nicer stats from Birch. 

Arthur's Seat has several routes and you do see people running up it, but it's generally steep and at this time of year can be v v cold and windy on top.  The summit is rock and can be slidey.

Waiting for a pic of Gul's shed. We need to see this masterpiece.

Managed to get in a few miles this week plus another very cold 30 on the bike yesterday. Working with the military for the next couple of weeks which is always hard as it really is chips with everything and too much desk time. Running kit packed however, got to be optimistic.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Should have added: happy to see Poachette win another England vest this weekend, at the international XC in Seville. She's in a fine run of form.  VLM on the horizon.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    That’s great news Poacher, I’m in Seville for the Mara in 4 weeks also.
    You seem to be going well Speedy, do you have a target for London?
    Nicko not sure how old you are but PBs are rare and should be celebrated. Good to hear you feel you can get even faster.
    I did 13 in Keswick for a 52 week.Hopefully the speed will come back if I keep at it.
  • Gotta be sub 3 OO. Barring illness, injury or heatwave of course.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    that's fantastic re Poachette,  Poacher - (has she any target for VLM ) ?  
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    nothing much happening here - another 40 plodded out this week (with a few (very few) hill "efforts" )  
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Lovely city Seville, proper Spanish nosh too.

Her HM time might suggest 2.35 on a good day, but that would be a heck of a debut, and as we know better than most, the mara can be very cruel. I don't think she's massively fussed and will see how training goes. I'd just like her to enjoy the experience without pressure and she has nothing to prove anyway.

The only thing guaranteed is that I will no longer be the family PB holder by the end of April.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    "The only thing guaranteed is that I will no longer be the family PB holder by the end of April."    

I know the feeling, Poacher - all my PB's were annihilated in 2018 by Birch junior   . . . 
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Birch let's think of ourselves as "pioneers" - Armstrong and co couldn't have walked on the moon without the selfless work of previous Apollo crews.

Clutching at straws here.