Sub 3

Comments

• So I'm confused after the weekend.
    Thursday I ran a progressive 10K on the TM 8 m/m up to MP but HR was higher than I would expect. Friday I struggled with my usual weights routine in the gym then couldn't give either parkrun or the 10K full beans as HR wouldn't go any higher than 93%. I put the parkrun down to conflict of interest but Sunday ruled out that hypothesis. My 10M after lunch was easy & felt it. Legs were fine if a little sore afterwards but I did some stretching & rolling whilst watching telly.
    I then had almost no sleep last night - read late (2am) then couldn't drop off.
    Today I did my usual weights routine & was able to do twice as many reps per set as Friday!!
    Any thoughts?
  • Maybe you are coming out the other end of a cold/infection or something Jooligan? One of my mates did the Speedway 10k and ran a cracking 36:46 but seemed to think the course was a bit short?

Interesting theories regarding LSR pacing SJ - I'm always mindful of Seb Coe's "long slow runs produce long slow runners", but then also conscious of not flogging myself so hard in training I'm exhausted by target race time. In that respect, the hamstring problems have almost been a blessing in reining me in and stopping me overdoing it early on in the schedule.

Easy five for me on Sat and 18 mile LSR (av 7:49) yesterday. 

Have finally joined Strava after years of resisting - how do I go about finding you lovely lot on there?

• Jooligan -- I too was going to suggest maybe you've caught a lurgy which has yet to really make itself known. A solid weekend of running, nonetheless.

TR -- top notch LR.

I actually had to cut short my long run, something I never do! I aimed to do a 28 mile out and back steady along the smooth tarmac of the Cambridge busway path, something I did a few times successfully last year. But on reflection, I've not done marathon distance since Chester in October this time... I clipped along nicely at 7:30/M until 22M, then started to feel hypo and peculiar -- bailed out and caught a bus back into town at 24M, feeling quite strange, and immediately bought a 500ml bottle of Coke to try and restore blood sugar. I have clearly let my endurance adaptations lapse! I haven't bonked quite like that for years.
  • CW - Good recovery drink, I always need some salt & Vinegar crisps to make me feel 100% better. All OK now I hope. Must be a bit of a boring run? I do Dunstable to Luton sometimes and that's not that thrilling - but it must be dead flat over there too!
  • Or you could just have been under fuelled Charlie?

Jooligan - my guess would be some sort of virus which you may have fought off.

EE - much as Seb Coe was one of my running heroes when I was younger I think that's tosh. I don't do anything anyone would recognise as speed work and run all my long runs at what feels like an easy effort (having trained with a HRM for years previously) and don't seem to do too badly when it comes to race times.

Hamstring much better today but I maintained the sensible head enough to just do a MLR rather than a LSR. Still sower than usual but better than the last few and feeling stronger as I went on.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019

I'm another one who (when marathon training) does most of the long runs a lot slower than MP.

Some very impressive training going on by the usual crowd.

Jooligan - could be the end of a cold as LMH said. However, I think that you race so often that you're never going to be able to really nail any one race. I only feel really sharp when I haven't done anything hard for a while, and then I can get my HR up quite easily and just have a bit more "zip".

CW - I agree with LMH. Whilst I don't generally take water/energy on runs, even up to 20M or so, if I was going to do 28M I'd certainly have a gel or two and a bit of water.

13M for me on Saturday with some clubmates, quite slow (7:59m/m average but mostly off-road). Then 7M yesterday inc. a 1M steady effort and 2M quite hard effort. I ran the first half of the FH10 course that TGO had done earlier that day (I was doing car park duty so you may have seen me!).

• Cheers for the thoughts. I suspect it has to be a minor viral infection just not sure how 21M including a flat out 10K followed by virtually no sleep has shifted it!
    For marathon running LSR are fine since it's principally about having a strong aerobic then being able to process lactate but for 800m running you have to do loads of VO2 work.
  • I'm pretty sure that Seb Coe, as an 800m runner, would have regarded Steve Jones and Charlie Spedding as 'long slow runners'.  Marathon training breeds good marathon runners, that's all it means, basically. 
  • Have finally joined Strava after years of resisting - how do I go about finding you lovely lot on there?
    This is me https://www.strava.com/athletes/2020754

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I havnt actually run any MP in a long run yet. Im trying a few P and D style long runs as a change from my usual 8.XX only long runs. Provides a bit of a mental and physical challenge, makes my legs ache which i assume is a good thing. I have 6 20s left, i will make dome of those time on feet affairs.

LMH - you might not be doing any mp but when you are in good shape you are probably getting your long runs done at around +10%, thats a tough run.

Jools - difficlt to say seeing as you do so much training and racing, suck it up and move on i guess. I struggled to go hard in my 10k last week too  put it down to overall mileage/fatigue. For me, you need to prioritise Brighton above all else soon if you wat to sub3. Depends on what you want i guess, you love the regular racing and social side of it which is fine.

CW - im with padams and lmh, could be as simple as not eating enough saturday. You also raced a 1/2 last week, and 28 would be a big jump from 20ish anyway. Good job you had BFH.

16m run home tonight (av 8.06).
  • As confused as ever :)

I won't do fast finish long runs every week. Maybe 1 in 4 so maybe two more of those type of long runs?

LMH - I've decided you are a machine :) and a very talented runner! I loose fitness and speed quite quickly but that's down to inconsistent training.

CW - sounds like a good thing you bailed out.

Padams - decent weekends training and race organising duties.

EE - if you find Jooligan it won't be hard to find me liking one of his many, many runs ;)

TR - stonking mlr early doors this week. 14.5 miles more than me today :) You are going to be so strong at Brighton.

• Legs feel absolutely fine today but still kept it as a XT day with an hour in the gym: lots of core & glute work + upper body stuff then 2.5K in the pool this evening.
    Great start to the week that TR
    EE
    Myself & everybody I looked at on Strava had 6.25M which is marginally over & to be expected. I organise a 10K in July & I accompanied the Course Measurer when I had it re-measured a few years ago. We did it twice to be sure & I got 10.1K both times using the Garmin but his bike is far more accurate. They have to factor a 0.1% over distance on all courses to allow for the error margin in measurements.
  • Great to see some solid running on the weekend happened. I rarely get a chance to run with anyone else these days so just reading that I'm not the only one out there putting mileage down is a great motivator. 

Thank you for the good luck wishes for the FH 10miles. I am sure you would have seen me at some point @Padams . I surprised myself a little – it was a rolling course, but there were a good dozen other runners holding a similar pace to grab hold the back of, so I kept 6:17/m average for 1:02:46. My legs are knackered though, got to take it easy today and tomorrow! Next race is the Quicksilver Hampton Court Half in 4 weeks.

To contribute what I am sure is a never-ending discussion on the LSR pace– For Brighton this year, I am just going on what worked for me last time. When I did finally go 2:58 in a marathon (a few years ago now), I was regularly going 7:22-30/m for 18-24 miles in Sunday training. When it was 7:35-45/m in years before, I was managing 3:05-3:10. So I think 30-40 sec slower than target pace, which is where my two 18m+ runs have been done at so far. But I also have a HRM and that pace has me 70-75% MHR and feels pretty manageable.

But I also did a bit more mileage to get 2:58 (stopped skipping a Monday 5m recovery run) and on advice, the last 2 miles of most Sunday long runs are at marathon pace (or close) to get used to running at that speed with high fatigue. I’ve kept these in my programme.

@Jooligan – you have been followed! Hope the bug passes through your system quickly.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    SJ - im with you, im only going to do a couple of mp ish pace finish long runs. I ruined a couple of early campaigns running as hard as i could every long run. Guess ive been overcautious ever since. A change (of long run style) is refreshing though.......Strong as an ox hopefully, ive done at least one mlr a week since the start of December and two most weeks.

TGO - good 10m there. 18 to 24m at around 7.20 to 7.30 is some hard running, thats MP +10% or quicker. Pushing the last 2m at mp is a good idea as its a short distance but will toughen up yr legs.....im not on Strava, i use a casio sundial.
  • My mate must have been cutting corners then Jooligan! Tbf, I often find that Strava comes up slightly shorter than my Garmin, so could just be that. Have followed you and SJ on Strava - fascinated to see other peoples' training. 

More interesting theories on the long runs - guess there is no right or wrong answer per se, and I can see the merit and rationale in different approaches. 

Tempo session planned for lunch here. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Planned on doing 10m with the 3min reps but it rained overnight and the temperature dropped after the rain, so i had to sack it off after 5 or 6 reps as the lanes were getting too icy. So 10m mixed pace in the end, some very slow trying to stay upright.
  • The first half of my run this morning was slowed by slippery surfaces TR - a couple of bambi on ice moments that I was grateful to survive and remain upright.
  • That panic when you first hit the skids and your legs are working overtime - like Wile E Coyote after he's gone over the side of a cliff!
  • Well done on banking runs in the ice TR & LMH. TR - This is probably really naïve and a silly question but how do you know your pace splits without a gps watch?

SJ - Seriously impressive tempoing and long run. Have you set a target for Manchester?

Physio has cleared me to return to running, will start with 2 x 5mins tonight on the treadmill and then build up from there over the next two weeks. Will keep the aerobic side topped up with the bike and some swimming

• SC2 -- perversely I quite enjoy the Zen-like featurelessness of the busway! (TR -- I always had the bus as a contingency plan, but hadn't had to use it before -- I have a Barclays bPay contactless device on my wrist for just this kind of situation, which was perfect.)

LMH/Padams -- for sure I only had a cup of black coffee before I started, and no special effort to carb load the day before; but then I aim to adapt to fat-burning exactly like that -- I'm a big believer in adapting to the full distance -- and have been fine previously once I'm in the swing of endurance training.

On the training front, a woman in my club was ranked 8th in the UK after the Valencia Marathon, and AFAIK she does no speed training at all. Yet still I do a little now and then, "hidden" in my long run (not for quite a while now though).

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Agreed, the panic when you are sliding and waiting for some grip to kick in !

Stevie - good news on the impending comeback. I once measured my work commutes (on map my run), my long run routes and another 3m out and back from home. I know mentally where all the mile markers are and tag on extras where required. Probably not accurate enough to claim any world records, but thats fine. I run the same routes day after day anyway, and mentally know where the milemarkers are on my long run routes too, for shorter out and backs.  One day when my latest sundial dies maybe ill get a gadget, but im not really sure i would do anything with the data.

Cw - you still might have underfuelled a bit on saturday. I should have known you wouldnt have had a fiver in your pocket.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Im waiting on Abo opening, im pretty sure its usually around now. I have unfinished business there, same with Yeovil (im already entered there).
  • I think Abo usually opens in February TR?

Charlie I agree with TR - you aren't used to it at the minute, it's different when you've built up to the fasted runs.

Good news Stevie.

That's exactly what it was like this morning EE!
  • It certainly gets the heart rate going when you hit the ice. My worst one was on my morning cycle to the station a few years ago - the second I wheeled off my drive I realised there was black ice all over the road and it sent me into an immediate fishtail, but I managed to keep it upright although I slid across a fairly busy road in the meantime. Luckily nothing was coming!

Good news on the comeback trail Stevie.

Fair enough on the gadget approach TR - I seem to alternate between a monastic approach and wanting every last step monitored!

Hamstring held up to a mini tempo sesh at lunch: 1M WU, 3M tempo (6:40, 6:31, 6:29), 1.5M CD. Should be doing a little longer than that really, just happy to not feel like I was about to pop. 

• EE wise to test the hammy out gradually. 3M is probably plenty to give you confidence in it for another longer session next week.
    Good news Stevie but why 2x 5 minutes?
    No Abo for me this year - already got Chester & Snowdonia booked in for October & really don't want to race 2 marathons in 6 days again. Might have a crack at Yeovil. What's the date TR?
    Icy out west this morning too so a steady 8 sans strides then 5 at lunch with 8x300m off 100m. Not particularly speedy but a decent effort. Legs are fine after Sundy's 21 inc 10K LT but very fatigued after another sleepless night.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    LMH - will keep an eye on Abo website. Shame re the ice but better yo womble slong than take a tumble, i do enough of that already.

EE - thats as fast as you need to run at Brighton (and before), so thats good news. Get the miles in now, 11 weeks to go Sunday.

Jools - june 9th or 10th, 8 weeks after Brighton. It was a nice toddle round the countryside for me last yr as i limped my way round the first lap, might not enjoy the view so much running faster.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Charlie.. many years ago after 24m Sunday, 6m Mon, 4+7m double Tues I ran an elongated 15m route home from work on the Weds.  I bonked at 10m, pace dropped from 7:30 to 9:30 within a couple of minutes.  I was at the same village as mile 7 on the BM route so I had no choice but to begin an undistinguished 5m shuffle/death march home.  :/  BTW I also favour the odd mind numbing 10 laps of the racecourse for a long run (2m per lap), good for the soul!
    I thought you'd still have an abacus TR.  ;)   Great stuff getting that 16m in.
    TGO.. cracking time at the 10 miler, bodes well for the half.
    Stevie.. good news and hope the test run goes without incident.
    Jooligan.. funny how some races seem to attract stacked fields (Abbey Dash, Telford, Ribble Valley).  A girl who trains with our club told me her BF (Leeds City runner) ran 30:59 at Telford and it was only good enough for 48th! 
    My raynauds has been giving me gip this week (right hand swollen) so decided to stay indoors today to keep warm, 7.3m done on the treadie.
  • Jools - just designed to start off really gently and ease the load in. Went terribly anyway. The other calf went 2 minutes in. Pain not as bad but it's very stiff now. Will get in touch with the physio tomorrow
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Bad luck Stevie. I'd just spotted that on Strava :( 
    Wardi That's exactly what James had in mind when he set up the Speedway 10K: a fast course, cheap entry, no medals/tee shirts just free tea & cake for all after & cash prizes for the quick guys & gals. The winner picked up about £150 + £100 bonus for going sub-30 so a decent weekend bonus. He was 20 odd seconds quicker than he ran at Telford in spite of being out on his own from the gun so definitely a quick course. Only the 2nd time it's been staged so hasn't got the depth yet but you can see the quality here
    Top 7 men & top 4 women got cash as did several vets. Less prizes for women as only 20% of the field were ladies. Number of vet prizes also depended on entries in each category.
    Cheers TR. I got nothing on that w/e yet but I'll wait til after Brighton to decide.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Wardi - no wonder you bonked after that few days.

Stevie - oh crap, thats bad news. How does the good calf get hurt in a 5min test ? Have you been doing anything to stir your calves up?

Jools - you can wait until a week or 2 before Yeovil.