2019 in 2019

Following on from the 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018 threads I hope we are all up for the 2019 in 2019 challenge! Will you go for 2019 miles, or like me will 2019k be the target?

Over the last four years my trivia knowledge has improved enormously with interesting facts posted matching either the number left or the number completed. Look back at the previous threads for ideas.

On a personal note I am shortly to turn 65 and have managed the challenge for three of the last five years. If I can do it, you can! A bit of a close shave in 2014 but the challenge was a major motivator in keeping the training going. Injured in 2017 and 2018 unfortunately but will give 2019 a go. You will hopefully find the thread a positive support! All are most welcome!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.

Comments

• So, to put some figures on the 2019 in 2019 challenge:

To achieve 2019 kms, or miles, you would need to average 5.53 kilometres or miles a day for the 365 days. That averages out a 38.72 per week, which converting from kilometres is 24.1 miles a week.

If you work in kms, like I do, you need to average 8.9k a day or 62.3k per week to achieve the 2018miles.

2019 miles is 3249.27k; 2019k is 1254.55 miles

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • If in again alehouse, hope you stay injury free in 2019

Happy New Year!
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    First year I have thought about this. Not had the best end to 2018 in terms of running so hopefully this will be an incentive to start again! Going for the km but secretly hoping to manage the miles. 
  • Good to see you, TT! Do hope that you will manage the miles as that will show a return to fitness!
  • Will give it a shot.

2019 miles to go, looking forward to the challenge.
    Have a good day. image
  • Get the Kms out the way first OL!
  • So, 7k completed and 2012 to go. 

2012 was significant not just because of the Summer Olympics in London but also for the electricity outage in India which saw over 600 million without power. Makes one realise how populated India is.
  • happy new year!! new challenge~
  • 4 runs so far totalling 28.44 miles so only 1990.56 miles to go

In 1990
    Reunification of Germany, Nelson Mandela released from prison and Maggie Thatcher resigns 

• Happy New Year 

I will hopefully do better this year than last year.

3 runs so far totalling 17.3 miles so only 2001.7 to go

In 2001a year most will never forget.

Al-Qaeda Terrorists attack the United States using hijacked passenger aircraft to bring down the Twin Towers in New York and crashing an aircraft into the Pentagon in Arlington County, Virginia leaving nearly 3,000 people dead.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Morning everyone.  I'd like to join this, if that's okay?

I managed 2047-miles in 2018, so it was quite tight for me, but hoping I can do this challenge in 2019.

I've started the year quite well, with a double-parkrun on NYD which was fantastic and something I've not done before, with a 9am parkrun followed by a 10:30am one.  So far I'm on 20-miles for the year.
  • All welcome! So great to see you WP and Big_G
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I got a nice 10-miler in yesterday; a point-to-point route, after a coffee with OH.  I was lucky as after the coffee she went to do the shopping, whilst I ran back and we got back at more-or-less the same time.  That was a result as far as I'm concerned, as I avoided the shopping.

6-miles today, including parkrun.  I felt very cold and didn't really warm up for the whole run :(

36 miles done so far, so 1983 to go.
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    31km so 1988 to go. Very pleased as this is a good start to the year. 

1988 summer Olympics in Seoul and Steve Redgrave took the second of his five gold medals. 
  • 28k in the bank. 1991 to go. 

1991 saw Tim Berners-Lee introduce something called the world-wide-web. Wonder what happened to that idea!

Already 10k behind, but that's fine as I am on a slow gradual build up as I return from injury. 
  • 75 miles done with 1944 miles to go

In 1944
    Jun 6 D day, 155k allied troops land on the beaches of northern France beginning Operation Overlord and eventually the end of the war in Europe 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    85 miles done, with 1934 miles to go.

In 1934, the "surgeon's photograph" of the Loch Ness Monster is published in the Daily Mail.
  • Found out this week that ive got UTMB in August so definitely in for trying this again (didn’t make it last year).

83 miles done so far this year. 1936 miles left.

In 1936 the Olympics took place in Berlin where Jesse Owens won 4 gold medals. In the same year King Edward VIII abdicates to marry Wallis Simpson.
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    A pleasing 36 km in the bank this week. 

So 1952 to go.

1952 summer Olympics and Sheila Lerwill took silver in the women's high jump. Queen Elizabeth confirmed as Queen, after her father's death. 
  • 72 k covered, so 1947 to go (miscounted last week as only included 6 days!). 

1947 saw the partitioning of India with the foundation of the new country of Pakistan after the governing British left. Over 15 million people were displaced by the new boundaries, and between 1 and 2 million people were killed in the ensuing conflicts.
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    A fantastic week! 41.5km so increasing well.

1910 to go. 

1910 Dr Crippen arrested on the SS Montrose
    1910 last ever election in the UK with a male only voting population!
  • Steady does it, TT! Gradual increases! Well done so far!

110k covered, so 1909 to go.

1909 saw the introduction of the Old Age Pension for 70 year olds. Glad I will only be 65 and 9 weeks when I get mine on 6th March!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Did a 10k race yesterday that didn't go as well as I'd hoped.  Must try not to overanalyse the reasons why, and just get on with it :)  

143 miles done, so 1876 to go.

In 1976, the first greyhound race to use an artificial hare was held, at Hendon.
  • 123 miles done so 1896 to go

In 1896
    First modern Olympics held in Athens
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Ran this morning as the weather forecast is so bad for tomorrow will be heading to the cinema! Last week of increase, consolidation next week then a drop down week. 

48 km so 1862 to go. 

1862 Westminster Bridge opened and the Special Scottish Express left KX for Edinburgh (was the predecessor to the Flying Scotsman).

I am envious alehouse I have to go for a few more years than that (assuming noone moves the goal posts again).
  • So, 4 weeks in and 152 k completed. 
    1867 left. 

1867 was a revolutionary year for British politics with the 1867 Reform of Parliament Act: men who owned a house became eligible to vote which took the electorate from one million males to over two. This was designed by the Conservative party to help them win the next election. In the event they lost the 1868 election, their plans having backfired. Reminds me of current politics: they say history always repeats itself.
  • 167 miles done so 1852 to go

in 1852
    the first British public toilet for women opens in Bedford Street, London
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Treadmill running only as the snow and ice hit!

48km, 1814 to go.

1814 the London beer flood - a vat of beer from the Meux's brewery burst.

Meant to be racing next Sunday, hopefully the weather will be better. 
  • 186k completed, so 1833 to go. Last week was a little less than planned due to the snow and ice, but did manage to do something every day.

1833 saw two significant pieces of legislation passed by the all male parliament in Britain. Slavery was abolished in most of the British Empire, albeit over a long period of time. Also child labour was prohibited for children under 9, whilst those aged 9 to 13 could not work more than 9 hours a day. I suspect that today's 9 to 13s don't know how lucky they are!
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Drop down week which ended with a 32 second PB on a 10km! Perfect race, closed roads, medal, teeshirt and masses of support. Missed the spinning but back to that this week.

42 km 1772 to go.

Credit crisis (good to know they are not a new phenomenon) and second voyage of James Cook.