Tuesday 22nd January 2019 - Mothers crying in the street

Morning.

Lyrics - Mothers crying in the street

It was cold here overnight and we had some heavy rain go through. Yellow warning for ice until 1200hrs so I don't know whether running outside is going to be an option this morning. Hamstring feels much better but I'm still not sure I'd like to try it on the treadie so I shall have to see what it's like when I walk Grace and if necessary try to adapt and overcome!

What:             hopefully some easy miles/maybe the gym
Why:              sanity and the road to London
Last hard:      trying to support MiL effectively
Last rest:       14/1

Yesterday's lyrics - So Tired by Ozzy Osbourne.
If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Indeed RFJ 

WHAT: more bike work AM d&d 
    Intervals running PM
    Why: has become the Tuesday
    Last hard: some of the weekend
    Last rest : 31st October
    Lyrics: again very familiar 

LMH - What's wrong with running on the treadmill to test the hamstring ?
  • The hamstring doesn't need testing Gobi, it's doing fine running outside and improving by the day, it's that I find that running on the treadie tends to exacerbate any niggles that I have. I think it's because it's much more of a uniform stride whereas when running outside especially on the trails I can unconsciously adjust my stride and compensate if required. Have you been out on the bike this morning? Very slippery here.
  • Emzap: good that you have clarity on the foot but frustrating regarding the weeks of inactivity.  Can you get to a physio soon to get some specific exercices for the foot or do you have to rest it entirely for that time?

Nice that you were able to see the moon WP.  It was cloudy here and I don't know I would have got up anyway..

Ben Ledi looks nice AH (googled it).  Good call on turning back - you wouldn't have wanted to use your axe in anger due to the lack of crampons!

Alehouse - no skiing around here - need to travel about 1.5 hours to the Alps.

Hope you can get out for a run LMH.

What: group outing this evening - standard 6 and a bit miles
    Why:  need some company
    Last hard:  sensible pacing yesterday - kept speeding up too much
    Last rest: last weekend

Lyrics: no

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Morning all
    What - training tonight, LTP session with the club mara group
    Why - It's Tuesday
    Last Rest - yesterday, if you ignore the QoP's elbows and pins in my knee
    Last Hard - Saturday/Sunday
    lyric - possibly
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Well that's me told :-)
  • Morning chaps, absent yesterday, 3 hour drive to Lincoln yesterday, then 3 hour drive back, just in time for nephew's 18th birthday family gathering. No running or activity yesterday. Eldest daughter has given up dancing, although swimming is her bag, big time, so I'm getting her in to running to substitute the activity of dancing, age 10 she did 2.5m Saturday morning, but she wanted to go again Sunday, so took her for a 2.25m.

LMH: I know what you mean regarding the treadmill, the rare occasions I go on the treadmill, (which is only ever due to ice) I find that I'm working only specific/limited muscle groups, the wider use of leg and core muscles don't get worked either proportionally or what they are expecting from outside running and general stability this provides, incline, decline etc. I find I can have a combination of over-worked muscles and under-worked muscles. However the only plus side is I do find after a long treadmill session, the next run out on the roads and pavements tend to be much faster, but that may be some type of placebo. I do realise though that I am lucky in that I do not need a treadmill, they are invaluable for many people as an oppurtunity to run, maybe due to geographic location, convenience or confidence with respect to running in public.
    Dustin: Tiptop training session, hope the marathon group are going strong.
    Emz: I do sympathise, hope you have speedy recovery.
    Hazel: That will be my run today, maybe possily 7 to 8 if get chance. I know what you mean about company running, I could do with someone to run with at the moment.
    Gobi: You certainly are busy, I bet you could eat a banquet and have it burn't off by the second course. Tiptop.

What: 7 or 8, in a few minutes, hopefully the ice is clearing now
    Why: Got to get out, snow forecast for later
    Lyrics: Yep!
  • Hope the ice is clearing LMH, Gobi and Benjy.

Excellent training yesterday, Dustin. We must have cross posted - I didn't see your post until today :)

LMH/Benjy: Same here re. treadmills. I only use them for LT pace or interval workouts to alleviate boredeom and do make sure the movement is not too monotonous.

Benjy: Great that your daugher is into running :+1: chip off the old block ;)

Em: Oh dear. That's a long time off. I like LMH's suggestion to look for exercises you can do with a broken leg. Swimming could be an option too, or pool running.

Nice to be able to have company, Hazel.

Well, I'm grounded at the moment. Horrendous night with almost no sleep and now I have a sore throat, heart rate is through the roof and peak flow down. At least I know why I felt shite on my recovery run yesterday and why Sunday was so hard.

What: 1 hour of strength work at the gym
    Why: lurgified
    Last hard: deciding against running this morning
    Last rest: 21/12
    Lyrics: no

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    morning all
    Chick, enjoy the strength work, hope you feel better soon
    dustin enjoy the training, hope qop's elbows have made the legs feel good! Your club did well!
    LMH hope you can keep your sanity, a friend is going through similar with her mum and it is heartbreaking 
    benjy be careful out there

what: 1 mile d&d 3 more later
    why: loving it at the moment
    last hard: this morning
    last rest: 31/12/16

have a great day all
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • I didn't mean it like that Gobi. Sorry.

Sorry to hear that you're ill chicksta, take care.

Your new work is interfering with life Benjy! I will resort to the treadie if there's no other option but aside from the aforementioned biomechanical issues it just doesn't do my head as much good. Hope you can outrun the snow, just heavy rain and sleet forecast for us this afternoon. Lovely that your daughter has taken up running - cheaper than dancing too I bet!

Thanks Wabo. I keep telling myself that things are getting better and the stress is abating but unfortunately it's just not true. Great to hear that you are enjoying your running so much.

Hope the rest and the QoP did you good Dustin. I usually have a pretty bad run the day after my physio has given me a going over.

It was a bit dodgy for the first few miles Hazel but improved as the sun got stronger - a couple of bambi on ice moments but fortunately I stayed upright. I'd like a social run on occasions too but like Benjy work/life precludes it really.
  • espenhbespenhb ✭✭✭
    Lyrics: Nope!
    What: 10k, give or take a few ks, slow and steady home from work.
    Why: Miles. Base. And since it's cold(-7C) I'm gonna have to take it as it comes. The temperature shouldn't be an issue, but time will show.
    Last hard: Sunday.
    Last rest: Monday.
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭

Benjy - nope I have to diet during race season. I did 110hours of training through Nov/Dec and put on 5kgs as I relaxed my diet, have lost 2kgs this month.

LMH - wouldn't worry

• I don't like upsetting or falling out with people Gobi. I just thought that you'd misunderstood hence trying to explain.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Afternoon! Forgot to press send button this morning! And still don't know the lyrics. 

Sun, LMH! It has been icy rain and 2 degrees all day until about half an hour ago. 

re treadmill, I agree with LMH. I was once advised by a physio that there is a danger of repetitive strain injuries and that it should only be used if absolutely unavoidable and even then the pace should be varied. On the other hand it obviously suits some people: years ago there was a guy on one of the threads who did all his running on the treadmill except for one day a year: that marathon in London. And he did an enormous volume which obviously didn't cause him a problem. 

Emz: there must be lots of exercises out there that you can do! I agree with Hazel, though, and worth getting advice from a physio. Is the rowing machine another option?  In the late 60s there was an American miler called Marty Liquori who broke his leg; six weeks after being out of plaster he ran a sub 4 minute mile. So we are expecting big things from you!

Get well, Chick!

Benjy: I would get your daughter into golf, tennis or possibly snooker. Far more lucrative than running!

What: short run, long Pilates

Why: Tuesday. Plus weather and work get in the way.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    What: 15 min of core for a broken ankle :) great idea lmh.
    Why: lmh has great ideas
    Last hard: that was!
    Lyrics: nope

Can walk round house today though feeling sore now.  Hope this means it'll be a faster recovery...

Have a lovely day all
  • Back home now. 
    Walk on Dunnett bay earlier.
    Badminton this evening.
    Work tomorrow.
    Lyrics no.

Path was thick sheet ice all the way from the road yesterday. Ice axes were of  limited use unless we were to cut steps most of the way. One guy was doing well with crampons and walking poles but even he turned before summit.
  • Good news emzap.

It was quite bright here until mid afternoon when the rain started Alehouse.
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    LMH- I'm not upset :-)
  • I forgot to press send so

What: 3 miles
    Why: Too icy
    Last Hard: being flexible with training
    Lyrics:Nope

so exercise bike,30 day shred,then run at mid day by this time legs are shot hence a shorter run;-)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression