Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Good racing and reports all round. 
    At some point I'll have to get a race in myself. Like it to be a little warmer first.

🙂

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Check out the tight thread grouping, Pete is a nose ahead.
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    My miniscule lead must have lasted all of 300 meters! Might have to frame that for posterity though; the time I led 2 forum legends🙂
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Literally just came on here to post a couple of pics, but that one is even better.

I probably need some shorter shorts, but a better "red shorts" run out then the Datchet one!

This one below is my favourite though.

The madness of Twomers and Dom. Utterly madcap starts, 1st and 3rd (tall guy in red) 200-300m in, ahead of a 31min 10k guy who i'm sure Pete might have said was "comfortably" leading at first.

That was before Twomers and Dom got hyped up!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Pete, it's quite unsettling I find when people you traditionally finish ahead are leading you. You wonder if you're going too easy, or if they're going madly. With Dom, we know by now, but even Mr Ferguson at Datchet does the same each time, but just to a lesser extent.
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Might be wrong but isn't Rob Corney actually 1st but he's just so fast he is out of that picture? Think Twomey and your mate Dom were 2nd and 4th but still mad starts as you say. Mine was a bit daft for me too, but often happens on a downhill start and usually drop to the right sort of place by about 800m so don't worry about it. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Nope. He's 4th and kevern 5th in that shot!
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Oh yeah you're right; thought that was  Aspey but on closer inspection I see he is partly hidden by the 2 Finch guys. So did Rob come through very soon after to take his 'comfortable' lead?

BTW sorry to bore most of the thread and we'll move on from this soon I hope!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    They love it pete. Hang on our every word 😄😄

I expect it was soon after corney put the burners on.

Having fun discussing it with dom. He won't listen to anyone about his starts. 😄😄
  • Youngish chap that finished behind me, a Finch Coster seems to be on an upward trend, 42nd at TVT, 39th at Sandhurst and now 9th. Had 2:00:xx 800m time from a few of years back.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah the results always throw up some questions.

Im interested how a lot of the fast starters dropped off.
    Dom of course, but twomey to 10th, andy mcstay 15th, marlow vet similar etc.
    Sandhurst guy who was right up there early doors even more so
  • I love how you've given Andy Stay a Scottish name, must be his african heritage that's confused you :D
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    😄😄 whoops .pete picked me up on that too.
    Just for some inexplicable reason I've mislearnt his name wrong and it sticks!!
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    SG - Always good to drop in here to catch up what's happening at TVXC so nice to see some in depth analysis. I've not made any of the races this season and won't make the next one either, even though it's my club's race. My wife is pretty busy on weekends so I'm usually left with the kids. I keep telling myself next year I'll race more. 

Reg - sounds like things going really well for you at the mo.
  • Enjoying the pics and post race analysis. I think we all know a Dom within our running circles. I can think of just the guy at our club. Never changes. 

Can't remember who it was saying about overpopulated track sessions, but last week we had over 130 (!!) people, which is obviously not sustainable. So we've had to split the session with the faster lot doing 'track' in the park this week, and the rest on the track, alternating each week. 

4 x 1 mile off 90s tonight, which should be easy enough in Battersea Park. First proper running session for yonks. 
  • Our track sessions can be the opposite, I've been with just 6 people and the most ever is probably 30. Downside is that there's nobody fast to run with.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I feel spoilt to have 95% of my track sessions alone! Occasionally someone is just turning up as I'm almost done/leaving.

Certainly better for achieving what you're trying to achieve - paces and consistency. Obviously lose out on the cameraderie/competition side.

However, tonight, it's 6x4min little hilly loops in the town centre. Similar to what we do on the other loop, but less of a climb, but only one min recovery...will try and remember that when it all goes off first rep!

mile reps in Battersea Park is probably quite fun. Great smooth surface. Blessed to live so close.
    Must get there a few times this summer again
  • Shame you can't make the XC, HA. Although it means I come one place higher. Things do seem to be going ok for me, thanks.

10 miles @ endurance this morning, as ever I was a bit under on the heart rate. Pleased with the pace though, came out at 6:49 average. I estimate that's about 20 seconds a mile faster than the equivalent run at the start of this plan.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds good on paper Reg.

Put 3 easy runs in since Sunday's race.
    Was quite surprised to see a clubmate put an 18mile morning run on Monday.
    That has GOT to be overdoing it the day after a race.

The guy is a bit of a house husband, so has all day to do it, but I'd have thought inching it to a Tue would make slightly more sense, even if XC is generally kinder recovery than a road race
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019

Started snowing in Slough in the afternoon, so had a sinking feeling about waiting 4-5 hours, then attempting what would be an idiotic hill reps session with the gang. Even worse with what would be a dodgy 40min drive home after.

Run lads thought it'd be fine at that stage as over there it wasn't too bad. By 6pm they'd all binned it funnily enough!

Luckily, the bossman is a legend, so let me go at 3.30 and despite an hour drive to cover 12 miles (!), got a 5miler in round a park with snow in my eyes in all directions!

Probably have to tick over with easy running for a couple of days, but hopefully it's back to norm for Friday.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Just as well SG - just picked my daughter up from near RGS and it took me 90 minutes to get back!  All the main roads are virtually stationary.

Mind you, some of that time was because I did a detour and aimed for the back roads to test my new(ish) toy - we bought a Fiat Panda 4x4 for my daughter to learn to drive in.  It's a hoot to drive in the snow (Once away from stationary traffic)! It is tiny, fitted with snow tyres and will go anywhere. The most fun was overtaking some half-wit in a Kia Sportage :smile:

Trouble is now, I can't decide whether to drive to work tomorrow or run in the snow  :grin:

Oh, and 8 miles in the sunshine this morning....
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    That's not great for feeling young is it! Having a kid old enough to drive!
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Could be worse -  my sister has grand kids that are learning to drive !
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Getting older is inevitable SG.
    Not accepting that fact can lead to all sorts of personal indignities.

Seems High Wycombe has been hit by the worst.

Here's a pic from the BBC. Hazelmere apparently.

Not so bad down in Pinner. I have the shoes for the job. !50 yards and I'm off road. I'm at the start of something called the Celandine Trail. Handy.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Yep certainly seems it.
    Read some right horror stories of length trips.
     6hrs from a datchet lady from naphill (out our way) back to windsor.
    6 hours!

Will stick to 4&5s while it's like this. Tick over 8-9 miles a day which isn't a bad amount.
    No point trying to push too much further or faster.

Round the park near home just then and will tiptoe to the nearest slough park at lunch. Unless it comes down again meaning an early leave.
  • I know what you chaps mean. I hit the big 3-0 this year. Would love a bit of sympathy. 

Snow seems to have passed us by a bit down in London town. It was sleeting on my ride home last night, but nothing settled. It was still one of the worst bike rides of my life though, so much so that I bottled it and binned the planned session in the park. Probably need to build up some mental toughness. 

Resolved to do it this morning instead, headed down to Wandsworth Park, which isn't lit, which made things a bit of a struggle. 

6:05, 6:01, 6:03, 6:02 for 4x1 mile with 90s recovery. Not a completely flat loop and was struggling to see where I was going (nearly barrelled into a dog walker at one point), so pace not fantastic but effort was definitely there. Just an easy swim later.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Good reps Joe. 30 - I vaguely remember that :smile:

That photo is almost exactly where I picked my daughter up from Ric!  Took until about 10pm for the traffic to clear and there were loads of abandoned vehicles on my run in this morning.  Mind you, I could have done with it being a couple of degrees colder, as there was a mix of snow, ice and slush that left me with very soggy, cold feet by the time I got to the station.  Plenty of trees hanging very low under the weight of snow to run into too! My tungsten tipped Inov-8 Orocs came in handy though :smile:
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Decent work in the circumstances Joe.  30 is no big deal. I remember a pal at work being amazed I took it so well, as my whole MO was always being based on youth and sport etc. It really is just a number, and runners' ages really are false in a lot of ways. That's why I always chuckle at 30+ footballers being described as vets or on the way down. At our level, loads of the best runners are in their mid to late 30s and beyond!
    I had a cracking XC race at the weekend for goodness sake, and still lost to a 55 year old from our club who'd raced the day before!!!

Years back at my utter keenest (and i'm fairly keen now!) I can remember doing a 3x2miles HM session on a snowy park. That was hard work and had to keep telling myself the slightly slower than usual pace was alright in the circumstances :)

Abandoning your car is absolute desperation scenes isn't it! I remember someone warning about being careful if you dump it lodged in snow on a hill, as when that clears you might have a big problemo!

I'd forgotten that drinking tea all day and barely moving is not great versus  along drive and cold weather.
    I was reaching utter mission critical levels, so had to make a detour for one of my top 100 ever desperation pisses. Ahhh

(ps gotta love the details - lurkers certainly get a full feeling of what it's like to live the realistic running lifestyle on here day in day out!)
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    It's that time of year when we hear about Bus' metal studded shoes  :D This thread is worse than Eastenders for regurgitating the same storylines!

Todays episode also involved me doing a 9 mile run where I couldn't even get out of the recovery zone. Rest day required I think.

In tomorrows show, Phil posts a picture of a low key race start line and we all set about mocking those on the front row.