Knee Pain with new shoes

Tom scott 6Tom scott 6 ✭✭✭
edited January 2019 in Health + Injury
Okay, so after a little time off I decided to get back into this drug we call running. I'd been smashing it out at the gym every couple of months but thought I better hit the road after a two year break. So I went to get some new shoes. The shoe shop said I needed some support. Which was strange as up to that point I had been a neutral runner. But I listened to their advice and found a shoe that they said was 'Supporting me' So goodbye my love affair with Ghosts and hello to Asics. 

A week in to my new shoes and a little knee pain started. Felt like it was twisted but it subsided after a mile or two. thought nothing off it. Until walking also became a little painful and now any attempt at a run is a NO NO. 

My question, is the knee pain from the wrong shoes? Should I actually be in a support. As my right leg is fine and feel no pain. What do I do to get the knee back to normal. But also can you actually change your gait over time? Or was the shoe shop wrong to say I needed support and in fact - I was never pronating. (their treadmill was a bit jerky and bumpy and we used my old Ghost 7's that were worn down)

Any advice or help would be most welcome. 

Thanks

Comments