Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    The real youth saddo's SG are those who decide that being 18 years old is 'it'. That's the life for them. They have arrived. They are cool.

They then spend years fighting against getting older until one day they'll become the 'Oldest Swinger in Town'.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kALGhbTxdg

How cool is that? :/

🙂

• and that's why we love Ric, completely unpredictable.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Reg, it's fairly fresh for having been going just short of 9 years!

Ric has "totally forgetting what he wrote yesterday" in his locker, which does bring some chuckles up when it totally changes post to post in regards to what "worked" training wise.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Finally in for Wokey officially after putting it off for ages.
    Chuckled at the entry list, the first person has managed to put their name in as their mobile number. Quality.
  • All good fun yesterday then - put some photos up on Facebook of the wintry scene in Luton last night - generally only 2nd to High Wycombe in the 'surprise snow' over the years :) Been to two Bournemouth matches at Luton that have been abandoned - well one just before the start to be fair from ice and one from snow.

So looked like a snowman by the time I got to the rugby club, we had 8 x 800. Times weren't great - did them all in leggings and the first one in a gillet too....2.54! slowly got them down to 2.43 for the last one - very tough, even though the snow had stopped. Good fun though.

• Stevie G said:

Was quite surprised to see a clubmate put an 18mile morning run on Monday.
    That has GOT to be overdoing it the day after a race.
    If you are marathon training then a Sunday XC followed by a long run on Monday is a good combo. The XC tires the legs so it means by the end of your 18 you are running on legs that feel they have done closer to 26 than 18. A lot of marathon training is about getting the body to work on tired legs. 
  • Reg Wand said:
    In tomorrows show, Phil posts a picture of a low key race start line and we all set about mocking those on the front row.
    Couldn't find a race picture so here is one from my lunchtime run. When it snows, head out for the hills where you get places like this to run and are not pissing about on slippery pavements in the slush.

Got to take my hat off to dog walkers: I was up and about mid-morning and it was only in the middle of my run that I actually hit footpaths that were free of foot prints from both people and dogs.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Reg Wand said:
    and that's why we love Ric, completely unpredictable.
    My middle name starts with a letter 'C'.

Any guesses?

Phil, I once ran across a snow covered landscape when it had barely got light and there was already evidence that I wasn't even the third person to pass that way.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    RicF said:
    Reg Wand said:
    and that's why we love Ric, completely unpredictable.
    My middle name starts with a letter 'C'.

o:):D
  • Slow news day today if we're guessing middle names. I don't have a middle name - my folks told me they couldn't afford one (and I believed them for years).

Too icy to do anything intensive outdoors which is just as well as I have a stinking cold. 9m yesterday, 9m today, all easy stuff until the snot leaves me.

Crispin ? Cuthbert ? Cedric ? Clive ? Colin ?
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    None of those.

But it does end in a 'T'.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I've got it..

CLINT
  • Are we supposed to say cunt or are we not supposed to say cunt? I am so confused right now!
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Lol Reg - very naughty :wink:

Oh, and not just any old metal you know - tungsten carbide if you please!  Make a hell of a mess of a wooden floor :blush:

Fairly footprint free at 6.20 this morning in the snow, and barely needed my headtorch.

Hard work on the way home tonight. 

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
     I gave away too much by saying it ended in a 'T'.  Reg spotted the joke.

It's what I used to say when people started to speculate and take the piss out of what my middle initial 'C' (It is) could be. 
    They'd go through all the possibilities Cuthbert ? Cedric ? etc until I'd say, 'ok then I'll tell you what it is. They would be all ears and then I'd say it's... (Reg got it)

Comes across different when in this social media form. 

As for training. 

The off road running is good in general but it does tend to find out any weak spots. The current freeze up combined with off road terrain does that even better. However, black ice on the road is worse. 

I think I'll tick over for a bit. Safer.

🙂

• I too like Muddy have no middle name. Mum thought it was a bit posh ;)

Easy day today - short commute to work, half day as I need to get the kid from school, which also means I have to go to pub for 45 mins, due to bus logistics. Carbo loading for Saturday.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I thought my old school classic was at least a bit more subtle... looks better in a different font though.

Simon, I can't believe noone has asked this many years in, but was there really a Simon Coombes on here originally, so you had to have a 2?

I once changed Stevie G to include me and a pal's then running website. When changing back, some gimp had nicked it, so i had to do a space or something.

Think I have it back now :)

6 this morn feeling slightly throaty.

About as cold as it gets in this country innit. Think i'll just tick over without even dreaming of a session for a few days.
  • Parents mugged me off when naming me. Gave me Joseph which I can never escape for the first few weeks in a new job. My mum never once called me Joseph growing up so Christ knows why they went for that.

Then they gave me a middle name of Marc. Old man's name is Mark so they obviously decided they'd make it 'cooler' by chucking in a c. It's bad enough having a surname straight out of Lord of the Rings. 

Bike session this morning (7x6 minutes) followed by a run to work (6.5 miles). Blows my mind how much easier it feels running after a bike session these days. Immediately slip into 7mm where I'd never do that if I was just setting out for a run. Might start trying it before races; 15-20 mins when I wake up to shake the legs out. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    For one second I thought you were saying Mark was an old man's name :D:dizzy:

Then i re-read 

My miniscule experience of a "bike", is a stationary cycle, and utterly pounding it. Which then supplied absolute jelly legs for a few mins, so i can't imagine running straight after.
  • I have a middle name, it begins with R and ends with obert.

Nice brick session Joseph.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Currently I do 30 minutes on the indoor machine and then run. Pretty well the same as Joe.

I did a local marathon after a 20 minute indoor bike spin beforehand, and the rest of the warm up by being dropped a mile from the start. 
    Certainly beat standing still for 30 minutes in pens at the LM.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Certainly can be awkward getting a warmup in before the big races.
    I remember Reading half one was less than amazing a couple of times!

GSR this year wasn't too bad, although in the "good club runner" section, while you are fenced in, you do have a fairly big section and can duck in and out, as late as you like.
    It's the ones in the section below who are utterly boxed in, and if they have the audacity to try and arrive 20-30mins before hand, have to do to the back of the pen!

At the other end of the size race scale, you have to be quite forthright and certain in your actions for the Ealing mile too!
    With a start line about 5-6 people wide, and obviously so short a race, with no chip timing, you have to make sure you're on that front line!

THEN, you can worry about the ridiculous sharp turn about 5 metres into the race :)
  • Can’t be as ridiculous as the start of the Aylesbury 5k SG? I think I just typed in my name by mistake in the ‘username’ bit. Then had to use ‘2’ can’t remember tbh. 

Joe- nice French spelling of Mark. I’m Simon, but you can call me ‘Seemon’ ;)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Ah yes Aylesbury.
    Always a roadblock of AC kids who fade before we've even turned left
  • I can't decide if I have a middle name or not. My middle name is the same as my Dad's and my brothers' so more like a family name. With a common surname like Jones I have been PMJ for many years so I get mail address to Mr Morris Jones and I get to hotels and there is no room for Mr Jones but one for Mr Morris Jones.

Still doesn't stop all the dozy plonkers at Siemens sending me emails when it should go to one of the other 5 Philip Jones who work there. I told one he should use a modicum of common sense when sending out confidential medical documents and then he replied all and compounded the issue so I said WTF and he told my manager I needed professional training. Thankfully, my manager took the same poor view as I did.
  • It's largely been mild down this way, with the exception of a couple cold days, so no problems with snow. Think the furthest west it has come is Dartmoor.

As expected I had pretty bad DOMS from the race, having not run such an effort over that sort of distance for so long. Ticked over on Tues/Weds with some easy runs, but felt it was time to re-introduce sessions... First one since September, and before then, May!
    Planned 10 x 2mins (2mins), aiming for 10km to 5km paces - giving myself a lot of leeway should I struggle to get into it. Only managed to complete 8 reps due to a stitch coming on towards the end, but very pleased to average 6:14/mi on the reps, ranging from 6:19/mi to 6:10/mi, with an average 7:16/mi float recovery. Slots nicely in between 5km and 10km efforts!
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Good work Matt.

As for names, try being called "Dave"!!! Most of us are to be fair though....

Lunch was intended to be a progressive tempo, but after 1M warm up and then an MP mile, the pavement turned to ice, so I squeezed in four half mile reps off 90 sec rec on the bit of path that was ok. Where has my speed gone? Not disastrous, with 2:59, 2:58, 2:58, 2:54 but it's not that long ago these would have been in the 2:4xs with possibly a bit less effort. 
  • Matthew HeadMatthew Head ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    My middle name is Simon - parents said their original plan was to call me Simon, but Matthew wasn't that common prior to me being born. 1993 seemed a popular year!
    The alternative, was to call me Myles and have my middle name as Andrew. But that would have made me Myles A Head... :D

Good reps Bus, the speed will come back once the temperatures are up I'm sure - all it takes is to be subconsciously cautious of ice to tone pace down. 
  • 'Myles A head' is great! My half brother is called Alexandre Spencer Hennessy (after my Dad's favourite cognac) and I was pleading with him to make it Spencer Hennessy Alexandre to make SHAG.

I was going to be called Richard after my Granddad but then he started cheating on my Grandmother and the name fell out of favour   :D Andrew went first to avoid RAG.

That's not far off the pace you want Bus and conditions are not great. Nice work Matt.

My last couple of runs have been a real lethargic trundle, points to the need for a rest day. Weight has come down a couple of kilos though.

• Good weight loss Reg. I feel a little less flabby than at Xmas.

Good session MH, love the possible names too. I was going to be Nathan but they decided against it. Simon is a very 70's name, but not in a Trevor or Darren way I suppose.

There was a 'Richard Peace' at Uni - so not quite 'Richard Head' but I'm sure I've heard 'dick piece' used as a derogatory term before ;)