Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Brilliant news on the house,congrats.Would love to do Wrexham but I'm in fuerteventura that weekend.
    Shades-Thats my main take on it,also read something about how the vinegar shocks your brain receptors that potentially cause the cramp into a reset.
    I think it's so hard as no one still knows 100% what causes cramp so can't find a cure for all,hoping the hills will help mine.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I know I can't keep going on about the snooker, but I wonder if it's a knock on effect from sitting down for two days.  I can't think what else it would be as I haven't tripped or done anything else unusual.  On those two short runs I did whilst in London, everything was very stiff and then I came back to Devon and had to have two days off shortly afterwards.  And now this knee issue.  I know it sounds very odd to say it could be from the snooker but I can't think what else it is.  My running shoes are all fine, I don't feel I've done too many miles, or too much speed work etc.  Or, it's one of those things.

I'm trying to stretch the hammies and calfs out, but like I say it's marginally worse today than it was yesterday.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - I wear a chest strap HRM and I had random high readings this morning for the 2nd half of my run. With this HRM that only happens when there's an electrical storm in the area, so maybe a couple of times a year and unusual at this time of year, unless aliens are landing a spaceship in Devon. ;) 

Have you set a target time for your half marathon?

Ian - with your vinegar in your spirit miniature bottle, any other runners will think you're having a shot of vodka :D    I had a thought that if you want a smaller bottle, one of those for eyedrops would do and be easy to carry.   If you happen to have hiccups the vinegar should deal with that too ;) 

Big G - you could well be right that the enforced sitting at the snooker is responsible.   I would just rest it and not try and stretch it out

• That's great news on the house, Big G - congrats! Not such good news about the knee. I used to get a funny thing behind my knee when I was in the gym a lot - it would go sort of tight and feel jammed up but wouldn't hurt as such. I used to release it by getting a ball or the end of a dumbell in there. I never really found out what it was because there's a lot going on back there, but one of the things is a small muscle called the popliteus which is involved in stability so might be something like that. I'd see a physio if it persists.

Yesterday was a rest day - I struggled a bit during my early morning yoga class as my legs were fatigued, so I decided not to do the afternoon pilates. I think I made the right call as I did 8 miles today and legs felt a lot better. Achilles is still a bit sore but not as bad as Tuesday/Wednesday.
  • Big G brill news on the house fingers crossed it goes well.  Yup am a member of WJ.  Membership is only £5 a year (plus optional EA membership), then either 50p/£1 a session (general run/ coached session) then have the choice of Corp membership at Wodson (the leisure centre) £36ish a year or pay £1 at reception, which I've opted for as don't attend that regular.  

Shades, I've been tempted by Puma, they seem to have some highly discounted shoes looking at runrepeat, but unsure about them as don't know anyone who runs in them.

Hope the Achilles calms down, any plans of a parkrun this weekend?

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - the yoga and Pilates classes aren't as easy as many folk think.
    Annoying for you that your achilles is still not right but you seem to manage it well.

Robert - I have spent a lot of hours researching shoes recently and I'm planning to spend a lot more so that I'm poised to pick up real bargains when they come along. I missed out on 2 great bargains as by the time I'd dithered checking etc the price had gone up again. One was a pair of Saucony Ride at £30, price now back up to £60.
    The Puma shoes I bought were £30 and I deliberately bought them in a colour that I would wear for street wear if I decided they didn't suit me for running. So far they seem fine.
    Today I collected my shoes from Sports Direct, these are Under Armour, one of my favourite running  kit brands, these are highly rated by runrepeat with a score of 91 and good reviews on other websites too. Never tried their shoes before.

Incidentally the Puma shoes I bought come up quite big, luckily I'd seen that on a review so ordered half a size down, they initially still felt a bit big but when I switched the laces to elastic ones they are a really good fit.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Knee felt okay first thing this morning in that there was no pain at all going up and down the stairs or walking around, so I went along to parkrun.  6-miles in total, and it was okay.  Hopefully it'll be okay tomorrow too.

I've managed to sell my Wrexham place, so that's good news.  I've lost a tenner on it, but I have cancelled the B&B free of charge, so it's not so bad.

Something a bit different for me today as I'm going out to lunch with about 20 other people (none of who I know at the moment), and none of us drink alcohol.  Looking forward to it though.  I've got some great mates but they're all boozers, so I was thinking that getting to know some AF-acquaintances wouldn't be a bad thing.  This lot meet around once a month in Exeter.
  • Big G good news someone else is using the Wrexham place.  Hopefully the end of the knee pain.  Enjoy your lunch, spose will be nice not to have someone in your ear saying, have a beer! in a sarcastic tone.

Marshalled parkrun this morning, was on car park duty and finish tokens.  Much prefer doing it in the winter as not so much sweat pouring out at the end.
  • Catford parkrun today - a bit undulating and a lot of it on grass so I wore my trails. 25:30 official time but I measured the course a bit short. Age cat 2nd. Another one off the list!
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-glad you managed to sell your place.
    Cal-That sounds like a really good time for you at parkrun.
    Shades-I peeled the labels off the miniature bottles as I wasn't sure how security and the airline would be if they thought it was alcohol.They at near enough the perfect size for the recommended dose.
    Nice easy flight and transfer yesterday,been to get our numbers today,very nice atmosphere around with lots of runners in our hotel.
    Last week I seemed to have a bit of a niggle at the back of the hamstring a couple of days and it seems it's back today,hoping it's just a touch of maranoia and it doesn't affect me tomorrow.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Best of luck tomorrow Ian!!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I'm pleased to hear that unexplained niggle has gone and you were able to run painfree today.

Good news on selling your Wrexham entry too.

Hope the lunch went well. Sometimes friends just drift a bit when lifestyles change. 
    I've just been invited to a significant age birthday party by a friend of 30+ years. But it's a 6 hour round trip and it will be a boozy do, and the success of the evening to her and her hubby will be how wrecked they can get.  So not for me.

Ian - have a great race tomorrow. The niggle might be from the travelling and the sitting around.
    Good luck to your OH too.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I may delay or shelve my long run today, very windy 40+mph here with a NW wind so a high chill factor too :'(
  • I've shelved mine. Woke up feeling not quite right - tired and gravelly voice - so I'm not going to thrash my immune system when my body's telling me to take a break. That never ends well.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - hope you're not getting ill and resting today does the trick.

I've binned my run, I'm not so good at getting out later in the day and opted for an early lunch instead. Weather has improved here, still windy and cold.

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Wind stopping people running pffft   ;)
    No such worries here,nice sunny day.
    So the original plan for GC was to aim for 3:15-3:20 and set myself up for Manchester,but as the last 6-8 weeks had gone so well I decided to go for 3:10 and see how it went.
    Started off at a decent pace but in control,it's through the city at the start for about 4.5 miles then the boring bit along a dual carriageway out and back for 8 miles,it's along the coast so at least it is a nice view.At 7k my watch was showing 7.05km so about right by 8 it had jumped to 8.4km and my pace apparantly went down by 20s/m despite not feeling it,I know we have to trust course measurements but it was pretty straight so no reason for that much,every other km was within .05+/-.Anyhow I cracked on along the coast knowing the first half had most of the hills in it,got to 13 miles at 1:36:00 and decided that it felt good and moved up as I was behind pace,chucked a couple of 7 min miles in and was overtaking people.I remembered the last big hill was at 18 so got to 19 feeling strong,still behind pace but not by too much now.Then I turned into 20 and there was a hill I wasn't expecting,either I remembered wrong from last year or the course was slightly different,this seemed to knock the stuffing out of me and 20 and 21 were a struggle,managed to recompose myself and get going again for the closing miles.
    Got to 25 miles before my first bit of cramp,took the dreaded pickle juice,it was horrible,but placebo or fact,the cramp went quicker than ever and didn't cause me to stop,but I realised I wasn't getting 3:10 as I'd lost too much a few miles ago.I then had a nice run along the front to the finish and finished in 3:11:21,so another 3 min PB and 83 secs left for GFA.
    Bright notes were I was 102nd at halfway and finished in 77th,most of the race I felt really good.I'm not at all convinced about the 8th km measurement as looking at others they also slowed there but hopefully it means those last couple of mins will happen soon,ended up measuring 42.57km.It was also hillier than I remembered but overall a bargain,I got a vest,finishers tshirt,medal and fully closed roads for 30 or 40 euros.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - brilliant result and another significant PB.  That GFA is so close now.  To get to 25 miles before any cramping is progress too and I'm sure it won't be long before the cramps will be history for you. To finish in the top 100 is great running.

How did your wife get on?

Enjoy the rest of your time there in the sun, it's bloody freezing here. 

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I think she done really well,1:52:08 but she's disappointed as she wanted 1:50,she finished in the top 25% of females and only runs twice a week so should be delighted.
    It's lovely here today,21 degrees with a little breeze  :D
    Delighted with my finish position out of 969,possibly my highest % finish yet,also it my first ever negative split marathon.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Well done Ian.  That's a fantastic time!  A significant PB and getting closer to that GFA time now - proof that your training is paying off!  Very well done to your wife too.  
  • Ian thats a cracking race, brilliant PB, Neg split even with a bit of cramping towards the end.  I'm not sure if the pickle can be a placebo when it comes to cramp? but glad the cramps didn't affect your race too much.  All the training paying dividends, well done mate.
  • mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Just catching up on my phone here and had to post just to say a massive well done to Ian.. that is a race well run and a BRILLIANT result that you worked hard for.. so pleased for you!  
  • Ian - fantastic! Very well done. Don't envy you the pickle juice but glad it worked for you.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - that must be a PB or very close, so she should be pleased with that especially off 2 runs a week.  Plus she had been poorly not too long ago.

Maybe next time you won't cramp, your subconscious will remember the lovely pickle juice ;) 

Cal - are you feeling better today?

mamafox - have you murdered the school cook yet?

6 miles for me today, very cold but no ice.   First run in my UA Bandit3 shoes and all I can say is Wow :o   I can see why they get such a high rating on the review sites, so comfortable, feel like comfy slippers and if I could run fast I feel I could run fast in them.  They're light, very responsive and good cushioning in forefoot and heel.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Thanks all-I feel on a easier course that 3:10 is nearly there,debating whether to have a good block of training for Manchester now or whether to find another race before then,the problem I have is March is pretty busy so may well have to wait.3 days relaxing in the sun now  :)

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, if you find one, my vote would be to enter one before Manchester.  I know Manchester is flat, but if it's bad weather (either hot or blowing a gale etc) that could impact too.  If you feel you could maybe do it on a flatter course soonish, I'd go for it.  But that's just my opinion, and it depends on how you think you'd recover.  Enjoy the sun!

No running today or yesterday for me :(  The knee still isn't 100% right.  I could run 6 or 7-miles more-or-less pain free, but it's just not right.  In the evening after Saturday's parkrun, there was a dull ache in the knee, worryingly spreading around of the front of the knee.  It's now more-or-less feeling like it was on Friday morning so I think another day or two off is needed to be safe.

It's very frustrating as 3 weeks ago I had a plan and was feeling really good about my running.  Now, I'm not!
  • Ian - Super running and a big PB, congrats to your wife too, off 2 runs a week that is a great time. So close to GFA now, I think you'll nail that in Manchester.
    Shades - Yes and no. I have a time in mind, but will see how training goes. Would like a PB though!
    12 miles on Saturday, which felt good. 90 mins on the bike on Sunday (21 miles), then out for a 4 mile run. Legs felt good, so after a mile I did a mile at 10k pace (6:04 bit quick) and then one at LT (6:20), then an easy mile to cool down.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - your GPS watch measured the full distance roughly the same as mine would for a marathon.  Was that a normal total distance measurement for you?   Not much you can do about GPS jumping up in distance like that.   I know someone that stopped to use a portaloo in a race and when she came out her GPS had added a mile on to the distance!

Ian - see how you recover, quickly I expect before deciding about another race before Manchester.   Any trouble with the achilles or post cramp soreness?   Trouble is there's not a lot of choice in March and you could be at the mercy of the weather then too.

Big G - hopefully a couple of days rest will sort you out with that knee niggle.

Steve - I think you should get that PB, however sometimes it can be warm for that race although it shouldn't affect you too much for half distance. 

Lovely stretchy class in Yogalates this morning. :)
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Steve-Mileage is cranking up nicely there.
    Big G-Bad news on the knee,hopefully couple of days rest and it will go, I had something similar the other week and i could barely walk up stairs 1 day,and took ibuprofen and rested and it went.
    Shades-Just checked and the most my watch has measured has been 42.3km,I'm pretty good at taking the shortest route where possible,but it was just that 1km as I didn't feel like i'd slowed but it came out a lot slower,at the end of the day it did what it is and I'm really happy with how it went,no stopping for cramp,probably didn't fuel aswell as I could have during the race yet no slowdown in the 2nd half. 
  • Big G, are you seeing a physio? I know if I get a new problem (rather than the old ones I'm used to dealing with) I'm straight off to see mine.

Shades - yes, better today, so taking yesterday off was a sound move, even if I felt a bit depressed (I hate not running on a Sunday!). Got out for an easy 6 miles this morning. Very cold but sunny, so it was quite pleasant.
    Are your Bandits road or trail shoes?
    I've had to dig out my trail shoes for a couple of parkruns - I don't often wear them although I wore them quite a bit in 2015. Back then I was worried about doing road races due to the impact on my joints so most of my races were on mixed or trail surfaces. Funny to think about that now - I much prefer hard surfaces these days!
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-forgot to add,no issues with the achilles during or after the race,just usual morning tightness,only really soreness is the usual quads,always sore until about Wednesday.