Sub 3h15

Comments

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Mine sat on the harpsichord and stared at her. Which makes me sound relentlessly middle class.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    That’s one classy cat!
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Bloomin' cold tonight. Plan was to do some sort of alternate structure but the legs didn't fancy it. However, I did hit an OK pace and went with it for the full trip. 7 miles at 7.02 pace. That'll do.
  • Very decent clip G-Dawg, especially on a cold night when your legs aren't feeling 100%.

Went out to the club session intending to stay at the back at recovery pace but felt surprisingly good after yesterday so ended up at a similar pace to usual on the progression run. 6.5mi at 7:06 avg, even picked up 6 strava achievements.
  • Jools - by a strange coincidence, Mrs GD told me last night that someone asked if I could feed their cat while they're away this weekend. Nothing as grand as a cat sitter though.
    nicko - yes, that must be frustrating - sounds like you could have bagged a PB. Looking very promising all the same. Well done. And a great session to follow the day after - impressive!
    GD - good going in the freezing cold.
    16 miles this morning @ avg. pace of 7:17/m. Pretty cold and still frustrated with the extra traffic on the roads (ended up changing my route at one point instead of waiting to cross the road). But on the plus side, it was nice to see a bit of daylight at the end of the run.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Some speedy runs Gul, Nicko (so soon after a half as well) and GD.

I had a session lunchtime as follows-

2m at hmp (90s) 1mile at 10kp (3 mins) then repeat twice. First set at hmp possibly felt the toughest of them all. Possibly not fully warmed up, though I did go 2 miles. Reps came in-

6.19, 6.23, 6.05

6.09, 6.22, 6.05

6.13, 6.19, 6.09

I was tired in the last couple of miles and equally tired now.

• DT - not surprised you felt tired - that sounds a really tough session. Excellent work.
    Had to be in work early today - waiting for someone to collect some stuff from 7:30. No sign of them yet! So just 9 easy miles this morning.
  • Savage session DT - very impressive, those final miles at 10k pace must have been a struggle.

Full rest day yesterday which was nice, let the legs recover. PT session this morning focusing on glutes and movement, 12ish slow planned later this afternoon, then I think a 2 x 4k session @ HMP tomorrow with the club.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    That's a cracker right there, DT. Well done, Squire. The sort of session that when you've done it, you can kiss your biceps in some manly display of toughness.   :D

Nice early miles, Gul.

Managed a WFH day today meaning I could get out at lunchtime instead of a cold, icy, depressingly dark night. I was going to do some sort of mile alternates but the wind was strong and meant I wouldn't be able to get a decent structure, so i did a few harder miles when I could followed by a recovery mile. ended up with 10 miles at 7.02 pace.

Glad I did get out too as it was still icy underfoot and will only get worse later.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Thanks chaps, the 10k efforts were the sting in the tail. The last one wasn't me slacking, it just so happened that my starting point on the racecourse meant that the last 1k of it was straight in a headwind.

I had 12 planned tonight but shifted it to tomorrow and will hopefully sneak it in over lunchtime. So tonight is tomorrows 7.

G-dawg, nice10. I'm not sure I could just run out the door and do 10 miles at that pace to be fair mind.

• An icy 8.5 for me today and last run for the month (yoga on Thursday) so January was 194 miles at an average pace of 8:49. The hills really bring the average down: Jan was about 3,000m of climbing compared with 1,500 last year for the same month.
  • Looks like Bristol has escaped the worst of the weather so far, though threat of snow tomorrow evening which might cancel the club session 

Great mileage PMJ, hell of a lot of climbing there too. Very speedy 10 from GDawg.

Easy 14 on a flat route this evening @ 8:10 average. Very comfortable just building volume.
  • 268 miles for me in January, which is some way off my highest recorded January (320 in 2014), but I suspect the marathon was earlier that year so training in earnest would have started sooner.

We have also escaped the worst weather in Nottingham so far. It snowed/sleeted hard last night but stopped just in time for my intervals (it didn't settle as it was too wet). Amazingly the streets didn't freeze too badly and a spot of sunshine this afternoon meant better pavements this evening than last Wednesday as well. A few icy patches, but not too many.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019

It's only the 30th Speedy - still a day to go on the monthly mileage!

Good mid-week MLR Nicko.

What's with the yoga PMJ!  Good hilly mileage for the month.

Pacey 10 miler there G-D.  I'd be struggling to hold that pace in a race!

Excellent HM/10K session DT - do you run the "intervals" on the same stretch with stationary rests or is this a continuous run?

15 miles mid-afternoon run today at 7:57m/m pace - a few hills on the route but the pace was relaxed.   Conditions good but it felt cold. Friday may be fun ...

Need to book this half-marathon before it's too late ...

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I’ll creep over 200 with today’s run. Not great for me but I have done a lot of steps and a good few swims. I’m just happy to be running without serious hip trouble. I’m planning Keswick this weekend-  if the weather permits. Hope you are all staying upright on this ice.
  • SBD. said:

What's with the yoga PMJ!  Good hilly mileage for the month.

My work practices have changed.

I used to run from work (Hammersmith) each lunchtime up and down the Thames (so flat) and even longer runs through Richmond Park (13 miles) were only 81m of climbing. Over the 5 days, I would do probably 2 runs of 5 miles and 2 of 7.5 for 25 (with one day rest) and then parkrun (5) and Sunday (10) for 40.

I now work from home in High Wycombe on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and from the Hammersmith office Tuesday and Thursday so I have two days off when In London and three slightly longer runs so e.g. yesterday was 8.5 and 160m of climbing so I get about the same 25 but in 3 runs instead of 4. I have also upped my Sunday so I am closer to 45 than 40.

Tuesday is a total rest day and on Thursday I now do yoga. The typical runner's reply to the question "How much do you stretch?" is "Not enough." and I am no exception and I was getting serious problems with reaching down (so I would sit on the floor to get plates out of a sideboard) so I have taken up yoga to try and regain some mobility. It is early days and hard to tell, and the hills versus roads is also a big change as the hills require far more motion in the legs and that definitely helps as well.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

SBD, I basically run laps of Worcester race course which is 1.7 miles around. The perfect location in that it is flat, traffic free and there are just a scattering of dog walkers there generally. As it is on the river it does get rather windy, even if it isn't elsewhere in the area. This session was stationary rests, but often (last Friday was 4 at mp, 2 easy and 4 at mp) there was be easy run rest periods.

I am on 215 miles for January. My record month is September at 218 and I have a 12 mile mlr tonight, which might end up on the treadmill. Either way, this will end up by highest month.

• nicko - nice easy MLR. Hope you have a good club session tonight.
    GD - good pace for your lunchtime 10 miler.
    DT - and enjoy your lunchtime run too! Not much scope for one of those here in only 30 mins.
    PMJ - that sounds like a far amount of ascent to me.
    Speedy - great mileage for January. Watch out for those icy patches.
    SBD - nice steady MLR.
    OO - still reasonable mileage and sensible to hold back a bit with the hip.
    PMJ - hope the new routine and yoga work out okay.
    10 miles @ 7:26/m this morning making a total of 260 for January.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    12 cold miles gives me 227 for month, 9 higher than any previous month. 

Nice total, Gul. 
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

That's Ok then Speedy!

Well done on the new monthly high DT. The race course sounds ideal.

A pacey 10 miler Gul.

Interesting to see how you get on with the yoga PMJ.

10K recovery this afternoon on the treadmill followed by a sports massage.  Brings up 320 miles for the month which is pretty close to my peak.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    still lurking, folks, and impressed by the training, and totals, being posted  - just nothing interesting to report from here. 148 for the month.

I'm another who has interest in your yoga views, Philip - my battered legs really are as flexible as teak these days  . . .   
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Couldn't be arsed with the track tonight after a day in London. It gets slippy in cold temps so I opted for an easier steady 5 mile progressive with 10 sec uplift from 7.3x. Finished with a 6.34 mile for the hell of it and averaged 7.12. Bloomi' cold out there.

148 for the month which is low but with the week off to fix both Achilles at the start of the month as well as race campaign being 16 weeks from week two, another 40 miles would have been par. 7.38 pace average for the month, quicker than last year despite LSRs being slower.

Entered a couple of summer races tonight, including a 62 miler!  :#
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I’ve also thought about yoga for my terrible flexibility . Haven’t got beyond thinking about it so far...
  • Same - Yoga would be excellent to enable me to touch my knees, and maybe one day my toes; just need to take the first step and go to a class.

Everyone's monthtly mileage looking very impressive - 320 SBD - that's huge! I think I logged around half that though a lot at target pace.

Snow finally arrived here, it was threatening all afternoon so I ended up missing club session partly due to getting stuck with some work, partially wondering about weather. Ended up doing a late evening treadmill split tempo with 1 x 4k @ 6:23/mi & 1 x 5k @ 6:23; bit of warmup and cooldown for an 8 total.

Taking the van to Wales to get the interior conversion started so hoping that there's not too much of the usual snow panic.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Ooh what’s the van Nicko? That’s another idea on my list. Several friends have camper vans. Probably when my wife retires we will look to swap one of the cars for a van.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Not too shabby at all Birch.
    Is anyone here tempted by the Big Half- I see GFA places are still available?
  • I'd say we've got about 7cm of snow which is more than I expected! Off to Taunton to see if my hearing is still effective...
  • Nicko - Fantastic half time as an MP run and a great session to follow it up! Hope you get the van down alright.
    DT - Some fantastic sessions being posted by yourself, you'll be flying by the time April comes round. Sub 3 will be a breeze even with your sandbags ;)
    OO - I considered the Big Half but couldn't really justify the travel costs for a Half Marathon
    Some fantastic mileage totals by SBD, Gul, Speedy and others!

Slowly building the running back up, I am now completely pain and tightness free in both calves. Got 2 x 10 mins to do this afternoon and then 2 x 15 on sunday. I could definitely go further but I'm sticking to the physios instructions. Been topping up with plenty of cross training, did a 1k swim last weekend which is the furthest I have ever swam. Also been spending lots of hours on the turbo/gym bike either doing sessions or steady rides. Seems to have worked as on the short runs my HR is around/slightly better then where it was before the injury.  

• DT - well done on your new highest monthly total.
    SBD - more excellent monthly miles.
    Birch - pilates seems to be popular round here - may give it a go one day, you never know.
    GD - Nice session. 62 miles or 100km? Brave move.
    nicko - good work on the dreadmill.
    Jools - have a safe trip to Taunton. Is that for a concert or rehearsal, perhaps?
    Stevie - sounds like all is going well.
    Managed to wake up at the planned time today, so got this week's long run in. 20 miles average pace of 8:05/m (but it was more of a progressive type run - 9 @ 8:29, 6 @ 8:04 and 5 @ 7:24).