Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Joe, I am at an age where anything new, especially new slang, is to be hated. All my opinions were formed in stone some years ago and I am now destined to complete my life unwavering.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    At least "dece" gives a clue what it means. 
    It's stupid idiot kids who say stuff like "sick" for something that's good, or even stupider street nonsense like "peng". Although I do love writing "hench" at any opportunity on people's facebook pics when I gets the chance.

Over the years of this thread, I'm sure I've also monstered many words down in a similar way to "dece", and despite my belief that there's no beneficiality of making up words, used the likes of "sentimonies" when needings be.

On another note, how people cycle with the risk of ice I don't know. At least in a car you have a unit round you, and 4 thick wheels to counter balance it. Putting your faith in two very thin wheels doesn't seem failsafe to me.
    I learnt my lesson a few years back, at trying to warn some woman I saw cycling about the massive patch of ice coming... she was distracted by my waving and had an even sillier skid to the floor.
    To add insult, my "Helping" her pick her stuff up basically involved me managing to drop more of it on the floor.
  • Muddy - Hope that clears up quick - not nice.

Attempted my 4 x 2k in Regents Pk again yesterday lunchtime, but stomach had other ideas. Perhaps it was doing the two 500m downhill stretches on tarmac it didn't like. But anyway did a 6.30 and a 6.24 with 2 minutes recovery, then had to go to toilet, then came out and did a 6.30. But then needed to go again so sacked the last one off in a huff. Not had a runners huff for a while.

Will have to get out tomorrow lunchtime again as the forecast for Thursday pm isn't great.

• To be fair to the millennials, we used to use wicked to mean good.

Nice brick session Simon ;) .

I did a session too, went to the track to do my 6 x 1200 off 400 jogs and it was a bit of a trainwreck. Book says 3-5k pace and I was more like 10k - HMP.

Started off with a 4:10,4:09 and from thereon ensued an inexorable slide; 4:16, 4:18, 4:26 & 4:29. So that wasn't so much a VO2 Max session, more like LT intervals. I guess it' mainly tiredness, that's 34 miles in three days and a four week average of 53 miles. Probably tells me I have rushed up the mileage a bit too quickly as I am not able to hit these sessions.

Good news was I managed to get through my track session without paying, it was a bit icy to start with so I wasn't sure if I was going to stay on the track but it soon warmed up.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    6x1200 at 3-5k pace sounds a bit on the insane side to me, with the top end actually not possible. Unless you're given absolutely massive recoveries.

What on earth is this plan thatd also have you doing 16milers at 6.30 pace 😃😃
  • :D The plan give long run paces, for me it's starting at 7:30 and finishing around 6:45 pace. It also gives HR guides though and if I follow that it will come out faster, around 6:30. Hence I tend to follow the actual pace guidelines rather than the HR.

Recoveries are 50-90% of the rep time, I was doing about 2:40 but I guess I could have gone to nearly four minutes I just wanted to do a single lap to keep it simple for my poor brain.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Ouch muddy - doesn't sound fun at all. Hope it heals quickly. 

Bonkers Reg :smile: Thanks re the pace by the way - i tend to foget I can run at that pace myself :smile:

Very icy run this morning (glad I'm getting some use out of those shoes!).

Part two in a bit.

Bloody garmin is driving me nuts! Syncing with my phone for all the dross, like weather, text notifications etc, but will it upload my runs? Will it buggery!  Bloody airpods died after ten minutes again this morning too - bloody hate technology!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Chuckling at you a bit Bus. Until I realised I have no idea what an airpod even is.

Reg, I remember Moz set a bit too testing a sesh once for me, and that was only 800s at 3k pace I think. I didn't get near it, as i'd have needed much longer recovery

(or doing it with the Dashers ;) )

well, for a rep or 2, then dribbling to a much much slower rest of sesh

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    LOl - SG :smile: You are very old for a yoof!!!

They are Bluetooth headphones, made by Apple. Pretty good (when they work!) as long as you are happy to accept the risk of  tiny, white, £140 headphones falling out on a trail run in the snow, in the dark :smiley:
    (I didn't pay that for mine - they were second hand, which is probably why the battery is failing!)

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I was gonna say! You make me look like some sort of wonga splashout merchant!

For me any of those wireless type ear pieces wouldn't work to run.

I spent years with Argos over ear ones. Fiver a pair. Quite often they failed though. Took them back. Pissed argos off etc etc repeatedly.

Now i wheel those out for occasionals like hard sesh or long runs. Mostly use these on ear ones that largely stay in. Totally forget the name which is handy. But £8 from argos..or a chunk cheaper when buying a stash on amazon!
    Always take a spare in my pocket too.

Erm yes...there we are.
    Thank goodness as runners we're used to boring each other with details!
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Headphones! The only one's I have are Bose Noise Cancelling jobs. I got them to use on long haul flights to NZ. They work a treat for that.

My lad uses his every day. I might listen to something with them about once a month, but not when running. I'll hum a tune though. That's enough for me.

As for the natural world around us. I'm no damn tree hugger, but I do understand it enough to make sense of it all. So I'm always looking and listening.

Like yesterday. Did some training, then went fishing. While there and whilst playing with someone's dog, I heard a bird call as it flew over.

I looked up and the dog walker asked what it was? It's a Raven. Un-common bird for London. I explained the change in it's status. What's that? it's a Red Kite, and that? Little Egret. A bird in the reeds then made a noise like a stuck pig? Water Rail. Easy. Fifty years practice.

Oh and this chap. It's a male Bream. 1.5kg's. Yes, you can eat them, but only if you're an east European, who can eat them raw, allegedly. Slime and all. 

🙂

• In the winter I often run with a beanie on, keeps earphones in nicely. I don't wear them though, earphones that is. I'm a bit like the bird whisperer, I prefer to hear nature. The exception was when I was doing repetitive commute runs. I always listened to music on my bike commute, partly just to provoke the H&S twats.

I have bought a couple of pairs of taotronic bluetooth earphones and for the price they are excellent. Only about £20, sound isn't top notch but if you're going to lose of break them they are perfect.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Ric, leave those poor fishes alone ;)

10.5 for me this morn.

The classic medium long midweeker. I had intended 10 as the max, but due to what is utterly crippingly cold weather, but with potential for icy roads, i thought I would "probably" leave it 8-9.

However, I knew If I took a certain route back to work it'd give me one of those awkward .6 of a miles, so took a different route, obviously went a bit too far out, and in the end, just getting back to work took me to 10.5

All done today!

Had a vague pencil in of the Ealing mile tomorrow, but a dento checkup, having to mess about with half day etc and the pretty likelihood of a skiddy course would make it an outrageous fool's errand.
  • Simon - always my greatest fear of any session that my stomach is going to get the better of me. Always so annoying. Well done for sticking it out. 

Reg - wouldn't get too wrapped up in the reps pace, as you said, logged big miles recently and the cold always make it hard to get up to speed I find. 

Nice fish Ric. 

Not worth risking Ealing in this SG. London due for heavy snow overnight apparently. 

Another 8 this morning with a swim sandwiched in there somewhere gives me 311 miles for January. For some reason got intent on running every day once I realised I'd done it for a couple of weeks, so I've done that now. What a douche. Add in an average of 8 hours swim/biking per week and it's been a decent start to the year. 

No more training today due to work drinks. Might as well have a couple of beers.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Just re-read the Simon stomach ish.

A bad reminder back to the days I had loads of issues in that area.
    I was becoming a pro at getting a rep done, unleashing in the alloted recovery time, and then getting the next rep done.

Not ideal to say the least, as unleashing certainly didn't feel like a recovery, and then you back into it
  • Brings a whole new meaning to 'resting on a stool'

I just aimed to do 9 miles easy but couldn't find the energy, ended up doing about 7 at recovery. I need a rest.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like it Reg. And this weather certainly aint gonna energise you.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Me too Reg :smile:

Easy social 5 at lunch. Bloody back is killing me after.

The airpods stay in SG - except when you take a top off :smile:  I had some cheap bluetooth ones from Amazon that were OK, but the battery only lasted abou 90 mins, so no good for a Sunday LSR!

The other in ear ones that sound good and stay in are Yurbuds - they come in a range of sizes with rubber bits that wedge nicely in your lug holes. Picked my two pairs up for £10 each in sports direct in a sale years ago- bargain 

I need headphones for my run home in the dark through the woods in particular - all that hooting of owls, snuffling of badgers and growling of escaped pumas scares the bejesus out of me otherwise :smile:

And yeah, er nice fish Ric :smile:

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Cheers Bus. It's handy having less strenuous interests other than running. Physical set backs are simply an opportunity to spend more time doing them.
    The fact that I'm reasonably competent at them is no accident. :/

🙂

• RicF said:
    It's a male Bream. 1.5kg's. Yes, you can eat them, but only if you're an east European, who can eat them raw, allegedly. Slime and all. 

Never understood why a lot of freshwater fish are not eaten in the UK when we have so many. I've had pike in Sweden a number of times and it was a great tasting fish.  
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    MY boss at work is a keen fisherman. It's odd, as he is extremely hyperactive and I can't imagine him being able to sit still, but that's what he says he likes about it - the contrast with the rest of his life!

Bloody garmin is still not syncing properly - they've told me to do a factory reset. Pain in the arse, as a) you have to reload everything, set up all the data fields etc and b) it probably won't work!
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    I don't fish much these day, but having run along one old venue and read a blog on the place I'd thought I'd see what might emerge.

Of course there were a few distractions as well.

Mud and hills for some!  ;)

🙂

• Nice Pic Ric.

Just did the long commute Wednesday and ventured out to Regents ok to do that session we all dread....the Tempo. Thought I'd do two laps of the outer circle, went on line and found it's 2.7 miles. I think the first circle was done in about 15.20 and the two laps done in 30.40 - only even because I sped up for the last 3/4 mile, which is the uphill bit. Horrible bastard of a session - like a speed session that never ends. Got the calculator out and its about 5.40-5.45 mileing - which I suppose is about right - 75% effort? Not sure what the rules are. Stomach ok this time as I had green tea instead of black coffee at home for breakfast and at work, that seems to do the trick. Apparently Marteletti has the loop strava record in 13.23

Surprising amount of snow this morning, run to the station was nice in the crisp snow - the long commute in the crappy slush in London not so.

An early session tomorrow as I'm off to watch the mighty Chelsea slaying Cherries in Cardiff. Get your money on a 1-0 defeat ;)

• Decent session that Simon. Enjoy Cardiff - cracking result for you on Wednesday.

Bike session this morning followed by the standard commute run (about 6.5 miles). No sign of snow in South London. 
  • A lot going on in here!

Enjoyed the XC reports from SG, Reg and co. Almost made me want to give it a go!

Muddy - That sounds painful! Hopefully you recover fairly quickly.

Joe - I turn the big 3-0 this year as well. Hoping to celebrate by nailing sub 2.45 in Berlin. Sounds like the running is coming back fairly quickly. Not sure Id be any good running off the bike, I always feel a bit wobbly coming off the turbo!

SC - Good session that is, I actually enjoy a tempo. The 10m tempo in peak marathon training is my favourite session and the one I feel provides the most benefit. Enjoy Cardiff!

Reg - Those long run paces sound pretty sharp! Are they supposed to be a bit quicker rather than the traditional long and slow?

Getting back to it now after the calf tear. First comeback was aborted as the other calf suddenly went really tight 2 mins in. This was diagnosed as being something referred from the nerves in my back so nothing a few stretches couldn't sort. Slowly building the running back up with short runs, up to 2 x 10mins now but with no pain/tightness before or after. Been topping up with plenty of strength work and hours on the turbo. Even managed a 1k swim which is the furthest I've ever swam. Seems to have worked as my HR while running is at the level I'd expect. Will start building the training up properly next week and see where I am

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019

Certainly agree on tempos Simon! We all accept the long runs, but know at least they'll be reasonably comfortable.

Reps, you get to bust juice, but have a stop every so often.

But tempos...definitely not enjoyable, but perhaps the biggest buzz after?

SW/Joe, turning 30? Whoa, you best get on and get your best times on the grid before it's too late :D:D

Snowed in today, so first ever WFH day.

Had a dentist checkup early doors too, and memories of last year, almost getting stranded, on a day that started with zero snow, told me there are no heroes with snow.

Dentist had tonne of cancellations, so took the "opportunity" to work out a few old fillings and whiten them up.

Actually feel 1% more handsome now

(making about...erm 1% handsome rating)

The running??

Morning 5 very early doors, and decided there's no point in a double, not when I've walked 4miles anyway for the appointments, plus being starving post numbing with no food allowed for hours doesn't help...

Dasher's awards night tonight. I wasn't going anyway, and turned down the last min invo.

There's no way you can WFH due to snow, and then go back to the same area in the evening. That'd be a joke :)

Not to mention ridiculous anyway in the weather.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Cracking tempo Simon. 5-6 M tempos used to be my staple session, but bloody hate the things these days - just too much like hard work! As you say though SG, nice when they are done :smile:

Just over 8 very hilly and very snowy miles this morning, to put me within reach of 50 without doing a double today - though I might anyw, as it then gives the option of not having to do 15 on Sunday :smile: Not sure though. as feeling a bit lergified, so may give it a miss.

Also WfH today, but took the opportunity of taking the Mighty Panda out for a play in the snow - Bucks steepest hill covered in ice and snow? No problem - in both directions! Tremendous fun hooning around the car park at the top of West Wycombe hill as well.....wouldn't think I was an old bloke :blush:

• Nice tempo SC.

Pretty treacherous this morning driving over to my daughter's gymnastics class. I run during the one hour class and today I tiptoed along the road and headed into the nearest field/meadow and did loops around it. It was about 550 metres with a hill each lap to made for a decent 50 minute session with a bit of effort on the ups.

Rather ridiculously the final XC has been cancelled tomorrow, everyone commenting on Facebook what a good decision it is and nice to have plenty of notice. I'm however thinking what a bunch of pathetic H&S nonsense. It genuinely irritates me but I think I am in a minority. Anyway it's probably better for me as there is no race in my plan tomorrow!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    So you mention yourself how "treacherous" conditions are, and having to "tip-toe" yet don't then for a second think that might be why the race is called off?
    😃
  • Probably more to do with the travelling there and car-parking than the race itself. With lots of melting snow and overnight temperatures down to about minus 4, there's going to be a lot of cars being pulled out of hedges tomorrow!

Quick 3 miles round the fields at the back of my house first thing followed by fun and games trying to sort out a puncture in the car for most of the rest of the day!

In what I thought was a stroke of luck, the tyre punctured in a car park directly opposite a garage this morning. It was fixable they said. Half hour they said. All good they said. Until this afternoon when it had gone down again and the garage had shut! My local tyre fitting place says they did a dodgy repair, and having to drive on it has now made the whole large enough that I need to replace the tyre!!! Not cheap these snow tyres either - Grrrrrr - feeling a bit, well, deflated now :blush: