P&D Spring Marathon 2019

Comments

• I should really be sleeping and not reading about the importance of sleep.
  • Me too!

Sorequads…  with reference to your diabetes...  I happened to notice this post on an ultra facebook group today.  If you've not seen it before, could be some interesting information there... and a free race in amazing scenery, if you fancy that.

Arguably a bit niche for this group.. but may be of interest to some and if you know anyone with Type1 diabetes who does exercise - feel free to pass this on and encourage them to contact us about being on the start line in 2019. If anyone has questions feel free to comment.

On 13th October 2018, there were 16 type1's standing on the start line of arguably one of the toughest 50 mile foot races in the UK, The LAKES in a DAY. 13 made the finish, alongside 241 other runners.

Following the event we put out a short survey to the Type1's. The results are surprising. Here is a summary document which is worth the time of anyone who engages with endurance sport and has type 1 diabetes.

https://www.lakesinaday.co.uk/…/16-runners-with-Type-ONE-di…

Hopefully it will also provide a tool for diabetes staff who engage with Type1's. Perhaps to think about what they are saying and that the conventional advice about high BG's and basal reductions, which may need further thought.

The event will take place again in 2019 on 12th October, once again there is an open invitation to Type1's to take part in the event for free. More details here https://www.lakesinaday.co.uk/type1s-go-running-a-long-way/

James Thurlow - who happens to have Type 1 diabetes and is Race Director for the Lakes in a Day.

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Well done on getting the LT done Ramjet. Same with your MLR HPR.

Sheez, Reg a 23:30 run, then online reading about your internet mates. Only to be trumped by NE.

Stayed off the roads this morning avoiding the ice. I didn't want to do anything particularly hard so just did some of my regular offroad loops with some efforts up some of the hills. 20km so I guess that can classify as an MLR. When I wear a jacket running usually I end up really sweaty but not today.

• Fat Boy TrimFat Boy Trim ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019

Hydepark runner - I would love to know your receipe to knock 7 mins off your HM PB then marathon at a quicker pace again. Its what I would love to do.

Rammers re the LT miles - I didn't know you could split the LT miles, I thought they were supposed to be done together so as to mimic LT build up then each run extend the LT distance. I would love to split my LT run into 5x 1mile LT , but that would be intervals wouldn't it?

Well done on the 23:30 run Reg - I could not run for that long :D.....

Its LT run for me today..... I can feel the sick note from matron coming out.....

• FBT - If I do end up knocking that much time from my PB the recipe will have been being consistent and increasing weekly mileage by about 50%. Although the forecast for Sunday is currently about 2-3 degrees and I have no idea how I race when it’s that cold. As for the marathon at a quicker pace, there’s any of 3 scenarios:
    1. I respond really well to the VO2 max sessions later in the plan
    2. I respond really well to the taper
    3. Last marathon was a complete 1 off
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Made it home in the sleet last night and danced back into work like Bambi this morning :)
    Ramjet: good job on the LT in that weather. Gotta be a good training stimulus
    Macca: good to see you can fit a 15 miler into a busy day!
    Spoons: I think you are writing your own P&D plan mileage wise! I know you are doing a combo approach of NAZ/BAC - do they get up to this kind of mileage?
    HPR: nice 15 miler. Think it depends on your meat source. Properly pastured animals are a key part of the ecosystem, feeding the soil and keeping it healthy. It's the factory farming stuff that causes the problems. And giving the fields over to soy and grains will probably ruin the topsoil, not keep it healthy as they don't produce manure :)
  • Can we just take a moment to remember Joe’s 2:39 (IIRC) at Valencia? 3:30 is definitely sandbagging! Unless you’re going for a Couch to 5k record I heard recently, where someone took a couch and carried it round a 5k.

AWC I absolutely love a 9pm bed time!

Well done on the split LT, Ramjet. Tough going two days after an 18M. And well done for battling through the MLR, HPR. Both good ones to bank and recall at tough times later.

Wise with the off road running, HA.

FBT I think the trend towards splitting the LT miles comes from some sessions in the P&L Faster Road Racing book – things like 24 mins, 3 mins jog, 18 mins at LT. I think a bit more manageable in training but still with the same net effects.

Thank you, NE. That is fascinating reading. I would genuinely love to do that one day, but suspect family plans will rule it out this year. Really interesting survey – so much to learn. The weather would certainly play a huge factor with technology working correctly etc. Genuinely inspirational stuff.

I planned 13M on the canal as an out and back this morning. Once I was a couple of miles in and had transferred from the tarmac to the crushed gravel, there were large puddles/ice rinks, so I headed back on the roads. Slippery in places, but never really treacherous. Legs felt miles better than yesterday and it was a delight to finish the last quarter in daylight. Looking over to the snow-capped Malverns made for a lovely view. I would have taken a photo but that would involve stopping and removing gloves… 13M at 7:20 pace.

• Hmm interesting point on the LT Rammers and SQ. I might slack off a bit and try that out today as been struggling a bit with LT sessions currently (does not help they are on an undulating route).
  • Ram - well done for getting it done in some horrible conditions. Don't worry about the pace if the effort level was there. 

HPR - hope all is ok and not too stressful. Sometimes I find the running a real help to release some of that.

I think some might have missed the sarcasm in my London prediction  ;) Still trying to convince myself I'm a triathlete, so unsure whether I'll run hard or just try and keep the sub 3 streak alive and enjoy it a bit more like last year.

Bike session this morning, calves feeling extremely tight (probably due to wearing my cross country spikes to track yesterday - what a rookie). 18 x 1 minute VO2 max efforts. 

Followed it with a run to work, easy effort. Now got a stupid streak going where I've run every day this year so far. Thought I might as well keep it up until the end of January at least and then reassess. 
  • Joe - I missed it......Run hard.....and still enjoy it. (sure you wont be able to stop yourself, its the way you are)
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Well that was a proper fishing trip Joe :s
  • george_george_ ✭✭✭
    SQ-Nice morning run especially in the icy conditions. Stay safe out there

HPR-I'd say you're in great shape to beat your HM PB. I ran 1:28 off a 19:10 5k last year so you should be good

Joe-I'm sure you could cruise round London in sub 3. It depends what you want from the race I guess? What's your next big target?

Well done HA, Macca and others for running at ungodly hours. Weirdly, for me, running after a few beers the first 2 miles feel great until reality sets in. Bit of a drinking summary that...

Interesting discussion on diet, because it's always my downfall. I don't have a bad diet by any means but if in doubt I will revert to easy carb stuff like pasta, bagels etc. It's the result of a time poor society I guess but I simply don't have the will to cook a decent meal at the end of a long day. I've tried to counter this by eating healthy snacks through the day and moving to brown pasta and rice.

I've moved away from red meat for environmental reasons more than anything else so I am generally low on iron. It's the only supplement I take but think it's worthwhile

Training wise I did 8x 800 yesterday in the sleet which I will call character building. Had a long hot shower afterwards to recover but pleased that the 800s came out at 2:56 average

Backing it up with split 5 mile lunch run and 10 miles this evening
  •  Hmmm just returned from a crappy 11 mile LT run... didn't really come close to hitting my LT times :s

Not a happy bunny.....Hilly and icy didn't help. I actually run one of my warm down miles faster than one of my LT miles!

• Well done to everyone getting their training in somehow. I went to the track this morning, it was just thawing out nicely when I started. 6 x 1200m off 400m jogs and it was awful, legs like lead. Started off 4:09 and then just got slower until the last one came out at 4:29. I was ambitously thinking about doing them in 4:00 when I started :D
  • Reg - Your 6x1200 sounds like my LT miles just missed the first one off pace then got worse and worse.....
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Saw you were at the Bracknell track Reg. Got an email from the club around midday saying it's too icy there for the track session tonight, not that I was going anyway. Do you ever pay there? I've been a few times outside of club sessions and always just jump on.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Well done for getting those runs done Ramjet and HP.

HA - P and D would be counting 20k as a mlr.

SQ - hopefully your legs will freshen up a bit by sunday, based on your 5m you could run a sharp time sunday if its still.

Well done FBT

Reg - tick it off and move on, its still a good workout and will have a training effect.

I got my mlr run home in but only 12m as i had to be at a pre uni college meeting with my youngest. But as per HA P and D would be counting it.
  • Just jump on HA? Do I look like some petty thief to you? 😉 course I didn’t pay 😂 
  • Obviously a tough day for running FBT, Reg.
    I fancy Lakes in a Day NE. Few clubmates have done it the last 2 years & are going back again. They're hoping it's 3rd time lucky with the weather as it's been hellish both 17 & 18.
    15M for me after work at 8:19s but felt much harder than that by the end.
  • 15M post work is a big ask, Jooligan. Nice one. 

Someone call the track police after Reg and HA's disgraceful behaviour! I once got told off by an official for going the wrong way round a track. There was no one else on it at the time.

First spikes of the year and guaranteed to leave your calves battered, Joe. And I guess that's where you cross training can then be so effective. 

Nice work on the character building run, George. Never easy, but definitely worth double points.

TR weather looks ok for Chi 10k - 1-2C and 7mph winds. I'm more concerned about refereeing a tournament the afternoon before. 15 mins on, 15 off x 4 = lots of opportunity to get sweaty then cold. Yes, that is me sandbagging. 

6M recovery for me this morning at standard 8:30s. Feel good for it now, or maybe that's just the Lava Java coffee talking. -5C, so pretty baltic, but wrapped up so didn't get cold. No wind or snow which was nice. Tomorrow morning looks a tougher one. Realised half way round my run that I was wearing fleece buff, fleece gloves and a long sleeved top all from (different years) Bourton 10k. They really do the best gifts. Much better than a medal as I genuinely use them. 
  • Fat Boy TrimFat Boy Trim ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019

Reg / HA..... Cant believe I'm on the same site as hardened criminals! I bet you are the sort that takes 2 waters at the end of a race as well.. :D

7 mile GA for me today on the ice

• AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Baltic this morning -5° in Southampton. Surprisingly though the park path wasn't slippy at all so it was a fairly comfortable 6mi run. Pulled my buff from over my mouth and when I put it back up it was frozen solid!
  • Reg / FBT - Sessions done though, so one to tick off and move on.
    Jools / SQ / TR - Nice MLRs.
    4:30am start in -5c temps for a 10 miler at 8:30s, felt comfortable and finishes off Jan just short of 200 miles for the month, another month of building up then March sees the start of the P&L plan.
  • Nice track session George, top work.

Don't worry about the LT session FBT, it can't always go well, all part of the process.

Reg/HA - no chance of not paying at Battersea, it's a proper sports centre there and you have to go through the reception to get on. Shame really, cos I doubt I'd pay either otherwise  :D 

Closing out the month with a swim and 8 miles this morning. 311 miles for January, way up from 173 last year. Hopefully things are trending in the right direction.

Heavy snow forecast tonight in London. 
  • Very solid month there, Joe. I think I have totalled 322 and that is without all your swimming and biking.

Good to see everyone is cold. Haven't heard from JohnOz for a while...
  • Thats some mileage Joe and SQ - 311 and 322. I think I'm about 120 miles... need to up my game! (but a slow start with PF at start of month)

Surprised no Ice AWC - quite a bit around Surrey

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Fair play to those of you getting out in the cold: FBT, Joe, SQ, Steve & AWC.
    Fleece gloves & buff sound great mementoes SQ. I've quite a few LSTs as Lliswerry started giving them out in 2015 though I like the little zip on the Bourton version.
    Rather than risk slipping around dodging icy puddles along the towpath I opted for the soft option this morning: the work TM. Inevitably turned into a harder run than I intended: 8M progressive starting at 8s but got down to 6:25 for 1200m before finishing off with 500m at MP to average 7:13. Felt controlled the whole time but bit stiff legged now.
    That's 333 in Jan for me. Who's going to come in next with 344?
    Lowest since 2016 but I've deliberately only been running 6 days a week. I've also spent a couple of hrs a week pretending to be a triathlete + a couple of hours S&C too.
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Sheez, I'm only at 240 miles for the month and thought I was going well.

Well done on getting out in the cold everyone and nice TM session Jools. I'm just about to head out now for 4-5 miles, maybe some strides.

Joe - I saw your strava title this morning about running up the Mall on the way to work. Made me think of a trip to London with the family just before Christmas. As we walked from Trafalgar Sq onto the Mall I started getting excited and jibber jabbering to the wife and kids about what it's like on race day. I was getting delusions of grandeur too, imagining myself flying up the road on the way to a massive PB. Just a big kid really. 
  • FBT forgot to say I had bad PF & an ankle injury which stopped me training for 2-3 weeks from about Dec 20th 2015 yet Brighton 2016 is still my marathon PB so stay focused & you'll be cruising back from Hove on April 14th :)
  • Joe - definitely would be good to go for a run at some point. Yesterday I had no idea if or when I might have chance to get out, but next time I’m down and have firmer plans I’ll be in touch.

Nice LT Ramjet. It’ll be interesting to see what Pftizinger does with the LT workouts in the forthcoming 3rd edition, given how common split LT workouts are in “Faster Road Racing”. 

Well done getting the MLR done despite not wanting to HPR. I genuinely believe those runs help train you mentally for tough points in the marathon.

Ramjet/AWC I’m not following a strict P&D plan, although it’s heavily based on it with the one faster session and a medium-long during the week. I’m just doing BAC/NAZ sessions instead of the LT workout, and adding a few long run sessions. NAZ offer plans with varying level of mileage, I’m borrowing from their highest one which tops out around 120-125. I’m basically doing the same plan I put together last year, as it seemed to work out quite well! But given that I’m not quite where I was last year, I’m taking it one week at a time and I won’t push the mileage if I feel like I’m not coping properly.

Glad you survived the canal SQ. I do sometimes think when running along there that if I did slip, it could be a very long time before anyone found me!

Good going doing 800m reps in sleet George!

Sorry your LT run didn’t go well FBT, but just remember it will have still had some training effect, and consistency is far more important than any one great session imo.

Ouch sessions like that are never fun Reg. Well done for not bailing early though.

Nice early start for your 10 miler Steve, great how you’re building up hopefully your patience will be rewarded once you get stuck in to the plan.

Great treadmill session Jooligan. Impressive that 333 is your lowest Jan for a while!

I have no choice but to pay at the Worcester track, as it has big fences and is always locked. I used to love living near the Parliament Hill track as it has low fences you could jump any time. I always purchased an annual pass though, as at £60 it was probably the best value running purchase I’ve ever made.

Given the insanely early start it would have required, and the icy weather, I abandoned any plans to get out for a run before heading to London yesterday. Instead, I got a friend to sort me out a day pass at her gym, took my running stuff with me, and hoped timings would work out so I could fit in a run. Happily they did, and I really enjoyed 10 miles taking in parts of my old long run routes around the central London parks. I thought of Joe when I passed all the tourists photographing the geese. I'm afraid I did turn in to a tourist and stoped to take photos when I came across a load of parakeets though. I've seen a few up in North London over the years but never quite so many, and I was surprised how happy they seemed for a tropical bird on a very cold day.

This morning it didn’t look too icy but I didn’t want to risk it, and I’d probably have struggled to get up to speed with it being so cold, so was back on the treadmill for my NAZ session. 4,3,2,1,1,2,3,4,4,3,2,1 mins @ ~10K pace, I ran all of them at 16.1 kph so right around 6:00/mi, except the last 1 min rep when I felt like a bit more of a blast and upped it to 17 kph. Who knows how accurate the treadmill is, but 30 minutes of fast running regardless. 15 miles in total, which Strava annoyingly clocked as 14.99