P&D Spring Marathon 2019

Comments

• HydeparkrunnerHydeparkrunner ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    AWC - but you also need to factor in that the cows you're consuming will most likely have been fed on grain therefore cause similar issues. It's quite amusing I'm having this discussion, as I'm a huge meat eater and absolutely love steak. I'm only trying to cut down, not cut it out all together, which from what I know of low carb diets doesn't seem compatible. I won't pretend my research has been extensive either and I'm sure we could argue all day about the merits of a number of different diets.

SQ, TR and Jools- Well done on the MLRs in crappy weather

George - Good intervals in the sleet, hope you got your split run in fine yesterday

FBT and Reg Wand - getting the sessions done in these conditions is an achievement, I don't think too much can be taken from the slower pace

Reg and HA - Is it a good idea to be incriminating yourself online?  ;)

1SteveMac - Good 10 miles insanely early

Joe - At what point are you going to commit to a marathon target?  :)  Also, a serious amount of body confidence to have done London in your budgie smugglers (I'm assuming that's what the Strava activity title was about)

RSR - X-posted with you. Well done on the treadmill run and battling the tourists, never a fun activity!

Pretty uneventful 13 miles for me last night, other than once again it was very cold. 8 to do today will bring January to 365 miles (sorry for not continuing the pattern). The eventful part of yesterday was having an engineer come out to fix a small leak to our boiler, to then discover it needed condemning. Post run I think I spent about 2 seconds under the cold shower before deciding it was in no way a satisfactory solution. Although the boiling of multiple pans and kettles to get an ankle deep lukewarm bath wasn't much better.

• These 300+ miles totals are incredible, I've had a huge month for me and it sounds paltry at 228!
  • I won't mention mine then Reg, it begins with a 4...  :open_mouth:

Forgot to say, I had similar thoughts when running long The Mall yesterday HA. I think it's good to still get excited about these kind of things :D
  • Well done on the dreadmill Spoons. Impressive session.

My legs in todays run (calves and achillies) were sore bunnies from yesterdays LT run so the effort must have been there!

Thanks Jools - lets wait and see, Im not full of confidence yet!

• I won't mention mine then Reg, it begins with a 4...  :open_mouth:

Forgot to say, I had similar thoughts when running long The Mall yesterday HA. I think it's good to still get excited about these kind of things :D
    You're just insane though, what was your addiction before you started running?
  • Spoons, I’ll see your 4xx and raise you 17 !
  • Is that 517M for Jan Macca?!
  • Jools 😀 417.....so far.
  • Blimey. you're all going well.

I am happy with a big month of 200 miles  :open_mouth: Though I think I would peak around 240 for March.

Alas that all seems theoretical now as I planted my face into the pavement (caught a patch of melting snow in the dark) on a routine jog on Tuesday night. That left me with a cut eye (now very purple), a very sore head and very bruised ribs. The hip and knee bumps feel inconsequential next to the other bits  :'( Will have to see how recovery turns out in terms of the hiatus required and the impact on my plans.
  • Ha, I just looked on Strava we’re both on 417 - what are the chances?! I’m 0.5 ahead currently but you have nearly four times the elevation which I think makes you the winner regardless of whatever we run in the last few hours of the month! After my recovery run shortly that should leave me only 17 short of my biggest ever month (Jan last year). Quite surprised given the low week when I had the Achilles niggle. 

I don’t know about addiction Reg but I’m definitely someone who when they get in to something, really gets in to it!

Ouch Muddy nasty. Get well soon. 
  • The big question really is how the hell do you guys :

a) find time to run 400 miles (that's about 3200 minutes of running)

b) not get injured !

But its bloody impressive

I presume you guys are running doubles in a day

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    SQ - the wind chill was grim round the mottor cct last yr, so hopefully it'll be better Sunday.

400+ miles is impressive spoons and macca, great work.

HP - well done on the mlr and 365.

Ouch muddy, hope it doesnt keep you out of action for long.

330 for me, which backs up December's 344 nicely.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    SQ - my race number is 459. As its a training race ill have base layer and hat, to go with my plain dark blue unattached harriers t shirt. They only let you run on a short section of the cct before the race, but you can run laps of the cct once you have finished.
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    That sounds nasty Muddy. Hopefully you're up and going again soon. 

HPR - Nice mileage. That's shit about the boiler. I think I wouldn't bother washing until the new boiler was in. Actually I went for a very slow jog with some work people yesterday and when I got back I hadn't raised a sweat so I didn't bother with a shower. I'm a dirty little germ, I know.

Spoon / Macca - that's crazy. Well done. Nice session too Spoon. Can you somehow program the treadmill to change paces or do you have to adjust it every time?

Nice mileage too TR.

I developed some knee pain during after my run today, then it's been sore for the rest of the day. It's disappointing seeing as I've had a really easy week so far. Feels a bit like an ITB problem. I often get a bit of ITB pain around my hip that is never a big issue and I can manage it easily but this pain in my knee is a new one, so not sure how it will respond. It's the sort of thing that could put me out for a while so I'm going to miss my planned long run tomorrow and just rest. It feels pretty minor at the moment so hopefully a couple of days off will do the trick. Very disappointed but I figure missing a couple of runs now is going to make negligible difference but if I pushed on it could put me out for a couple of weeks, which would make a big difference. Annoyed though and will probably be grumpy tomorrow because of it. 
  • RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    FBT - when you are self coached you can do whatever you want ;-) Well done getting the LT miles done. You can't really hope to hit the pace in these conditions.

Nice MLRs SQ, TR and Jooligan.

Impressive early start Steve!

Nice session Spoons.

Oops Muddy - sounds nasty. Take care out there.

Sorry to hear about your knee HA. I hope it is just something minor.

14 miles in the snow for me yesterday. The legs felt fine despite the LT session the day before and the trail was quite idyllic. Recovery 5 today once most of the ice had melted.
  • HA77 said:

Joe - I saw your strava title this morning about running up the Mall on the way to work. Made me think of a trip to London with the family just before Christmas. As we walked from Trafalgar Sq onto the Mall I started getting excited and jibber jabbering to the wife and kids about what it's like on race day. I was getting delusions of grandeur too, imagining myself flying up the road on the way to a massive PB. Just a big kid really. 
    Enjoyed that, HAJoe - does the excitement wear off when running it every day? Hope the knee/ITB is ok, HA. Get a hockey ball on that glute!

333 on 6 days a week is impressive, Jooligan. I guess you’ve had a few doubles (and triples?!) which does make a massive difference.

Quite enjoyed seeing Macca post a very late run last night. Although I think the 1am has got to count as February not Jan. Spoons is safe!

Your London run looked nice, spoons. Funny that you then ran similar loops on Zwift. I’d also noticed that Strava had decided to embrace a second decimal place. An improvement on it always rounding down, I suppose.

Oh no, muddy. That sounds really painful. You don’t get in to running to look and feel like a rugby player. Hope things are on the mend soon.

Ok, TR. I’ll certainly look out for you. All being well, I will either run laps of the circuit at the end, or possible just repeat the course.

Impressive, Ramjet. I find I am a lot slower in the snow, even when it feels nice underfoot.

Definitely started feeling a bit rough yesterday. Verging on head cold type thing, but fortunately nothing below the neck. Decided to have a bit extra sleep this morning, so just did a recovery 5 rather than a MLR. Enjoyable in the fresh powder, and definitely safest where the snow was deepest and untracked. I hope I feel normal again for Sunday’s 10k.

• HA - my heart sunk as I read your post. I really hope it's nothing serious mate, hopefully a few days will see the pain go away and you'll be good to go. You're doing the right thing by resting it before it gets any worse. 

SQ/TR - Hope it goes well Sunday.

Huge months from Spoons and Macca, super impressive stuff.

Bike session this morning (90 mins), followed by the standard run to work. Finding running off the bike super comfortable at the moment (feels much easier than just waking up and running), clipping along at 7mm which was the pace that came without forcing it at all. 

Down on the Kent coast this weekend watching the rugby with some school mates (on TV, in the pub), will most likely take in some parkrun tourism en route. 
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    HA: sorry to hear about the ITB stuff. That one properly pisses me off. Do you do any strength exercies for it - squats, lunges, resistance bands etc? I always that finds it helps and seem to cure it quicker than rest.
    Macca/Jools/SQ/Soons/TR/Anyone else up there! - Some amazing mileage at this time of year when its a lot more difficult to motivate yourself. I'm not even going to look and see what mine is but hoping to get up to 80mpw next month so I guess I should be averaging over 300mi/mth soon hopefully.
    TR: hope the race goes well at the weekend. You've done some super training so hopefully it comes through on the day
    Muddy: ouch that sounds really painful! Good that the knee and the hips are ok and hopefully the other bits don't affect running too much. Although I guess the ribs could cause some issues? Anyway good luck with recovery
    I've not ventured out yet as I fancied a lie in today. Will head out at lunchtime for a 5 miler I think.
    In other news, my standing desk which I ordered at the start of January arrives today. Just a small delay then when they were waiting on a new shipment from China. I'm sure the quality will be impeccable!
  • Some awesome January totals!!! 197 miles for me, which is a couple more than I ran between the whole of June and October last year!!
    Ramjet - Nice MLR in the snow!
    Muddy - Take it easy, hope you recovery quickly.
  • Wow, Steve. That shows how measured your successful comeback has been. Well done. 

Blimey, AWC - the long awaited desk is nearly here. I think we need a full review!

That's a decent pre-work brick, Joe. Those kind of sessions definitely help build a base over time. Hope the new job going well. 
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Glad the standing desk is on it's way AWC. Maybe you could get a treadmill fitted under the standing desk so that you can run while you work.

Done a few exercises and some massage. I've not bothered recently with any strength program, maybe I should've. Like I said, this is something new and in the past when I've fatigued and lost hip/core stability while running, I've typically got some mild hip ITB pain that would recover with an easy day or two. I think the knee will be ok in a couple of days, just hoping it's not something that comes back. 

Steve - Great mileage considering you're still on the comeback.

Nice work on the snowy MLR Ramjet

SQ - Hope the cold doesn't linger. I enjoy running in the fresh snow too.

Joe - I think that new commute is going to get you in really good shape, especially on the back of the cycling. I don't really get jealous but having a nice 10k run commute is something I'm envious of. Strange how priorities change. Couldn't care less about a nice car or how I look.
  • Being self employed and working from home is a massive help FBT, I think I’d struggle if I worked normal hours and had a commute to deal with. I generally double every weekday, although the second run is usually just 5 miles at recovery pace.

Sorry to hear about your knee HA, hope being sensible and giving it some rest sorts it out. I’m not sure if the treadmill I use is programable, I usually just rely on my watch for the session and manually adjust the speed.

Hope the head cold does come to anything SQ, it would be a shame if you can’t give the 10K a good go given the shape you’re in currently.

Sounds like things are coming back to you Joe.

Interested to hear how you get on with the desk AWC.

11 dull easy miles on the treadmill this morning. Hamstrings feel a little achy now, so I think it's perhaps continuous running at a similar pace on the treadmill that causes it, as they felt fine yesterday after a longer run but at mixed pace. Forecast for the weekend looks cold but dry, so I’m hoping it won’t be too icy and I can do the long run outside. Probably just need to stop being so paranoid about ice!

• No triples this year SQ, unless you count wu/race/cd as separate sessions.
    1am run from Macca :D Clearly setting out February's stall early.
    Ouch Muddy. Unlucky to hit the deck so hard there. Hope the recovery is swift.
    Could it be a knotty ligament HA? Might a short jog not free it. Certainly the approach I'd be taking.
    Forgot to set the alarm last night so no running/gym session yet today. Hopefully get out for 5M later.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Hello - quick one from me. Have pulled out of Manchester marathon (deferred) as PF still not gone. I'm assuming it's PF, haven't seen anyone about it. Not ran for about 6 weeks, it is definitely getting better, but still there - so going to give it more time. Been going to gym and now have massive biceps.
    All the best in your spring races or whatever you're doing....
  • Hey Westy, good to see you! Not so good to see you injured. Hope you get back to the roads soon.

Right, I definitely can't keep up with the pace on here anymore. Eased back into running after a week of lurgy with 4, 5, 6, 10 and 6 so far this week. Hoping for something slightly longer tomorrow but it's icy and snowy so who knows.

On the plus side: a week off as cured my hamstring niggle. So that's a bonus. My pace is still about a minute per mile too slow. Hope it'll come back before my next race.

Good luck to all parkrunners for tomorrow.

• Muddy-hope the noggin is ok. Have you come up with a good story to tell people about how you got your injuries

AWC-Love the idea of a standing desk one day. Will have to lobby my boss

HA-Hope the ITB clears itself. Touch wood, I have managed to avoid that one to date

Steve-Great come back. I'm at 226 miles for January which was my highest ever I think

Spoons-Nice treadmill run, albeit a dull one

Had a good run yesterday before the snow came. 11 miles with 5 at LT. LT came out a bit quicker than MP so all good metrics. Followed up with 5 easy on the treadmill at lunch. I just don't trust myself not to fall on the ice!
  • Good to hear its clearing up Westy - shame about pulling out of Manchester, but big guns makes up for it in my opinion!

HA I have ITB really bad after my first year of running and it was nasty... did loads of research into it... too much to bang on about here, strange it came on after a lighter week.

Im slacking off today as weather is crap and will do my run tomorrow instead.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    HA - get on the ITB exercises and the tennis or hockey ball.

Well done on the mlr ramjet

SQ - yes, im up for a 2nd lap. You'll finish ahead of me so if you wait for me at the end I'll be glad to meet up.

Joe, AWC - cheers, im not really bothered with this week, but id like to get a sub3 pointer at worthing the following week. Having said that, no 3min reps or mp run this week due to ice, so i might beat my stubbington time, although racing well during marathon build up is hard to plan and hard to make happen.

Spoons - hope you get outside for the long run.
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    That's a bummer Westy. Just working on the nightclub muscle hey? Good stuff.

Nice LT george

chick - glad the hammy is feeling ok and that you're building back into it.

I think ITB pain is not something you can run through, unlike mild achilles tendonosis or plantar fascia pain that can stiffen with rest and sometimes feel better with some loading. It's funny how long a full day off running feels.
  • Pretty solid week by most standards Chicksta & good news on the hammy niggle.
    Almost 200M is a good month in anyone's books Steve & should give you a solid base for the harder stuff in P&L - not that I've looked at a copy but looks a demanding program judging from Strava.
    Just when it looked like you'd gone all disciplined on us FBT you take a step down that slippery slope :p  
    An hour in the gym followed by 10K on the TM after work for me. Did 2K wu at 8s then 2 lots of 2K as 400m MP/400m LT/400m 5K/400m LT/400m MP with 2K at 7:30s between & as cd. Really enjoyed it as a session & got off feeling like I could easily have done at least another set of efforts. Might try it as a Wednesday MLR if the snow & ice persist.