Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Shades - Rest day today for me, but no snow or ice here, just cold! Hoping for the same again tomorrow.
    Rob / Ian - Yeah, not the best temps to run in, but I've plenty of cold weather gear to wrap up warm!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, it's amazing the difference in a short distance between the towns.  My Dad's in Brixham and I called him this morning just to see if he needed anything, and there's no snow or anything there at all so he was wondering what all the fuss was about.  Where he is though, he can see the Moors and he said parts of that are covered.  Paignton and Torquay are totally clear too, but obviously they're on the coast which does make a difference.

I could have got an appointment for today in Ashburton with the NHS but I declined it as I didn't know what the roads would be like.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - for us just one more day then we should have a frost free week for training, I do hope so.

Big G - I wouldn't fancy driving to Ashburton.  Didn't realise you'd get an option to go there!

Here the roofs are covered in snow and some left on parked cars.  The only view I have from my flat (apart from the street) is across to the Millennium bridge and beyond and all the fields completely white there.

Usually by the sea there will be little snow and ice, someone said to me Torre station is the marker, onwards from there should be frost free.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-On a bright note that's really quick for an nhs physio,think my wait would have been just over a month last year.
    Shades-Not entered Snowdonia yet,and looks like I can't as OH wants to do Chester and I've said I'll always do the same events as her,if possible, and they are the same day.
    No more snow here today but icy again,meant to go up to a balmy 4° around 2 so may go for a slow jog then.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, we do have a good service here for the NHS physio. It’s a self referral so we don’t have to go via a GP - we just phone a number and make a booking directly. I’ve used them a few times and always been happy, especially if the physio is a runner themselves.  
  • I've felt run down again the past two days. I don't know if it's the same thing I had on Sunday - it's like the start of a cold, but beyond sneezing and feeling a bit spacey and not great, it hasn't turned into anything. Yesterday was a rest day but I've decided to rest again today. The weather isn't luring me outside, exactly.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - well it makes sense that you both do the same events if you're racing on the same day.  I take it she doesn't have your passion for hills and can't be persuaded to do Snowdonia instead of Chester? 

Big G - that's a good physio service.

Training for my 2nd marathon I had a troublesome ankle injury and private physio eventually suggested I go elsewhere as she was flummoxed. I went to NHS physio and he was brilliant, his diagnosis was right, no treatment required and I completed my marathon. 

Cal - not worth the risk going out in this weather if you don't feel right.

I haven't done any spring cleaning. Did make some lovely thick warming soup though, turkey, potato and sweetcorn, very good although I say it myself.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-The colour her face went when I mentioned it says no.
    Another bambi 6 miles today,seems slightly less ice today but still rough in some places the sun hasn't hit yet.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - maybe next year then you can both do Snowdonia.  I'm sure you'll get enough hill training with your Welsh long runs.

Be careful on that ice. 

It's dried up here a bit thanks to nasty biting wind, so as long as that continues there's a chance I might be able to get out tomorrow morning for a little run.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-By next year she should be confident enough to go to events on her own.I should be able to get 3 or 4 more Welsh runs,in depending on the weather, before DD.
    I tool the run really slowly,even walking a couple of bits that were iciest,just happy to be out.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Back running today.   No nasty rain or snow fell during the night so the pavements looked good for running, which they were here, but not everywhere so had to stop a few times and negotiate bit of ice.   Good to be back out in the fresh air but so cold, a 'feels like' of -5 is too cold for me although I was well wrapped up.   I was so keen to get out there felt really full of energy, disappointed to find how much the virus has wiped me out, managed 5 miles.   Absolutely no chance of a long run tomorrow, which I was hoping to do but the morning is going to be sub zero again so wouldn't have run that far.  Looking forward to the milder weather, we're due to be in double figures by midweek :)  That will help me recover fully from virus.

On a positive note, I noticed that it got light a lot earlier today.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Great news you're back running Shades.  Of course there's never a good time to be ill, but it seems you missed the worst of the weather anyway.  

I did quite a lot of walking around yesterday with absolutely no pain whatsoever, so I decided to risk a parkrun this morning, plus 1.5 miles there and back.  If the knee had been bad after a mile or so I'd have turned back.  I got to the parkrun with no issues and went around with no issue either, but on the way back there was a very slight bit of discomfort in the left knee, and also a bit of tightness in the right hammie (just for good measure).  So although not ideal, there is some improvement compared to the other day when I had to stop after 1.5 miles.

I'm definitely not doing the 5-mile race tomorrow.  I could get around it and I could tell myself not to race it, but I expect I'd still push myself a bit too hard and potentially risk aggravating the injury some more.  There's no chance of a reasonably good time for me so I won't be going.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - yes, you're right, I 'chose' a good week to be ill as conditions would have curtailed my training anyway.

That's promising news on your 'snooker' injury, your right hamstring is probably a compensating niggle as you instinctively try to protect your left knee by favouring the other side.

Shame you will miss the 5 miler, that's a nice little race but not worth the risk.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I know you've been unwell and not using your laptop much, but with this time on my hands I've been looking at other events....  I have been good though and not actually booked anything, but there are so many events out there!  The only thing I did get my credit card out for is that I have booked a WAY weekend in Edinburgh, but that's not for running.  The flights were a bargain and the Premier Inn Hub was also a bargain, so I couldn't resist it as do like Edinburgh :)  They are also going to Helsinki in May and I am very tempted, but probably I should move into the house first, see if anything needs doing there, and then see if I've got any spare money left!

Regarding the snooker injury, I was looking back through my own notes and also what I wrote on here, and I did start complaining of tight calfs earlier in January.  I wonder if I did slightly too much and should have taken a day off earlier?  Then with that one speed session I did, I had tight calfs after that as well plus sitting around at snooker possibly added to it all.  Maybe it's all unrelated but I wonder if there is some connection there too.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Good to see you back running again.
    Big G-Sounds like the right decision to miss the race.
    OH wanted to go for her run today so I went with her as it was still pretty icy.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I noticed that Burton Bradstock is on 13th Oct so thought I’d mention it. I’d considered doing Eden Project marathon that day (not done it before) but possibly I’ll do Burton Bradstock instead. I didn’t do it last year as it clashed with Yorkshire.  

https://www.beyondevents.org.uk/listed-races/burton-marathon
  • Glad the knee is improving, Big G, and glad you're also able to get out again, Shades.
    I was well enough to do a parkrun today - the trick was finding one that wasn't snowed off. My parkrun friend and I had planned on Foots Cray (a lovely location by all accounts - Capability Brown gardens and a nice farm shop) but that was one of the cancelled ones, so instead we headed for Roundshaw Downs, which has never been cancelled. This one is basically a cross country course. It is gently undulating, but was made more challenging due to muddy sections and snow. My trail shoes handled the snowy bits just fine, so after a very tentative first lap, I was able to push a bit more on the second. Unfortunately, I did have to slow quite a bit for the mud - cross country spikes would have been better for that, but I don't have any. Ironically, the one guy I saw wearing them finished behind me anyway.
    Despite a mediocre 28:10, the small field and challenging conditions got me my highest ever gender placing - 4th. And actually, I rather enjoyed the course.
    Not sure what kind of run  I'll do tomorrow - it depends on how I feel and what conditions are like. Both my half marathon numbers showed up today and the first one is next weekend!
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    I'm thinking about doing a double once a week or so,on the day I normally do an 8-12 miler as a way of getting some more miles in and seeing how my body adapts to it.Any tips off those who have done doubles before to get the most benefit from them?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G- if I'm poorly I don't want to go near my PC.  But I'm all booked up for the year anyway including Burton Bradstock although it's one of the few I haven't entered yet. I have pencilled in Boddington but it's not one of my favourites and the entry fee is higher than it deserves so I may look for an alternative.  
    Helsinki would be expensive especially the food, thankfully you'd escape the shock of the price of alcohol! 

Will be interesting to see what the physio says about your snooker injury.

I'm not sure if you'd like Eden , I believe it's only half road and the remainder tough off road. 

Cal - glad you're feeling better. Everywhere seems to be forecast a heavy frost tonight, hopefully we'll all escape any ice.

Nice when those race numbers arrive.

Ian - just plan an easy run for the 2nd run of the day, I find 5 miles a nice distance. Will be interesting to see if you enjoy them. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G- I've entered Humdinger next weekend but not had any race information, have you received anything yet? 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, well done for finding an event with no snow.  I was tempted with a new one for me, but the Facebook page wasn't sure if it would be on when I saw it last night, so I just did my local one.

Ian, as a matter of interest are you thinking of adding a session in of some sort, or mainly thinking of the increased, mileage?

Shades, I haven't received anything yet about Humdinger, apart from the automated emails that were sent when I entered.  I just checked my email folder from last year though, and they sent the final email instructions on the Friday before the race.  I did see something the other day that they've sold out on the Half recently.

I'm also not convinced by Eden for the reasons you said.....  I expect it'll be Burton Bradstock that weekend.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Would you keep the first run the same length as usual?also I've read about having at least a 5hr gap between the runs,does this make sense?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - thanks for that about the Humdinger. I think sending info 2 days before is cutting it a bit fine. 

I've done Burton Bradstock twice now and it was even better 2nd time except I didn't see the red deer but can hardly blame the RO for that.

Ian - when I've done doubles I've done the first run before breakfast and 2nd late afternoon which for me fits nicely in with meal times too. I would agree at least 5 hours. Yes I'd keep the first run to usual distance, but first time you might want it not to be a longer run day.  I've run 10 in the morning and 5 in the evening and not found that too tiring.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Mainly for extra mileage and certainly short term they would both be easy as I get used to it.
    Shades-thanks for the info,be interesting to see how it feels.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Have peeked out the window and expected heavy frost here, wind has dropped though.

I've decided not to run today, yesterday's run wiped me out for the rest of the day so I need a little more recovery time.  I feel fine and RHR is normal.  Will run tomorrow when it's predicted to be a balmy +8 at 5 a.m. :)
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    OH and I went for a walk and stopped for coffee, and I’d planned to then run back the 3 or 4 miles. Trouble is, even a gentle walk along the beach was aggravating the knee (and hammie) so I decided not to run back.  Very frustrating as it’s a lovely day here.  

Physio tolorrow so I’ll see what they say about it. Getting a bit more nervous about the marathon on Friday!!  Really I should probably just pull out, but the race and Travelodge are non-refundable/transferable. I expect I’ll make the trip and just get around as best I can, and if the injury flares up too badly, I’ll just stop (it’s a lapped ourse). 
  • Shades- good to see your back out running.
    Where I am we were lucky only to have a light snow fall which had mostly cleared by this morning however still has been very frosty for the past 3 or 4 days with temp usually around the -6/7 so pretty cold. Decided to go out for a easy 4 miles today and test my knee still felt a little pain so think I will need to continue the strengthening of the knee and just stick to short easy runs for a couple of weeks.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that's annoying about your knee, it seems quite unpredictable about when it's going to pain you. 
    Difficult to know what to do about your race this week, because it's future races such as Malta that you want to try and ensure that you're fit for.
    It's so easy to plan a winter's training but not so easy to fulfill the plan.

Good luck at the physios tomorrow.

Steven - that is cold! But I guess you're used to it.

It will take a while to get your knee back to full strength. 

It's warmed up here already, lovely.  Rain on the way but I'd rather that than the cold.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, it's frustrating as it does seem unpredictable.  I don't think I've had an injury before where I'm sure the niggle has gone (i.e, walking around, pressing the area, walking up and down stairs is all fine) but then a gentle run aggravates something and it comes back again.  Very annoying.  I think my Malta ambitions are shot - I just haven't done the training I'd hoped for and I'm unlikely to be able to do much now, even if I suddenly get over this injury very quickly.  As I say, it's not that it's incredibly painful, because it's not really.  But it is impacting my gait, hence why I can't really run much.
  • If it changes your gait then you can't really tough it out, unfortunately. I hope the physio does the trick.

I am still feeling quite run down, or at least, I was when I woke up. Not really ill, but not really right either, which is rather annoying. It was also freezing out so I decided to wait until the sun came out and melted the frost and then I'd see how I felt. I ended up going out at 12.45, which is really late for me (I pretty much had to bully myself out the front door - the longer I leave after waking, the worse my resolve gets) but I got 12 miles done. I'd rather have go a 20 out of the way (as I won't have another chance for three weeks, given the next two Sundays are half marathons) but I'll have to make do. I just hope this whatever it is buggers off.