P&D Spring Marathon 2019

Comments

• AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Westy - sorry to hear you’ve had to pull out with injury. So frustrating. Hope you mend quickly

20mi run up to Winchester and back this morning. Normally catch the train back to Eastleigh and finish the run from there but trains were cancelled so had to take he bus instead which was a pain meaning I got home at 9am instead of 8am

Good luck to everyone racing and doing long runs this weekend. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Hope you get on top of the ITB HA

AWC - nice one, must have been icy, were you on lanes or trails,?

6m easy today instead of 20ish, as 10k tomorrow, that plus no reps or mp due to ice means my lowest week since the week or 2 after Abo with 55m. Not a bad thing once in a while though.
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Get onto those exercises, HA. If my osteo is to be believed those typical running injuries are down to incorrect biomechanics. Mostly a weak deep front line - that's basically all the muscles that stabilise your ankles, knees and hips. Fingers crossed you get on top of your ITB soon 🤞

Sensible, TR. Good luck tomorrow. Hope it's not slippery for your race.

Good long run, AWC

Complicated session, Jools 😬 my pea brain couldn't cope.

Strong run, George :+1:

Slacker, FBT ;)

13 mile progression run for me today. I'm still struggling to get anywhere near those pre-lurgy paces which is a bit frustrating :( onwards and upwards. No parkrun today - it's my mum's birthday and I had to help her with cleaning and catering.
  • 13M progression sounds like a tough session effort wise Chicksta. The pace will be back soon enough though obviously a shame you weren't able to keep building sans interruption.
    Well done on the 20 AWC. How're the hip flexors after? I find ice makes them really tight as you have to fight to stop the feet slipping out.
    The 70mpw P&D schedule has a 55 mile week next up so about right really TR. Hope the conditions are favourable for Chichester tomorrow as you should be able to make that a really strong session with the easier week in the legs.
    How's the ITB HA?
    Parkrun for me as it's Saturday. A carful of us took a drive up to Stafford for the relatively new Isabel Trail. We'd faffed so much in the rendezvous & en route that there wasn't time for a warm-up so had to make do with about 600m including a couple of half-arsed attempts at strides. My mate Pete was still mid pack when they said go as he'd had an urgent pitstop to attend to before he could run but still caught me by about 1K in. The route is out & back along an almost totally flat tarmac cycle path. I went out hard but was still in about 12th from the start. Reeled a few in within the first half mile then ran neck & neck with another guy for the next 800m but knew he wasn't going to be able to stay with the pace as he was breathing far too hard & after about a mile he dropped back & I continued to make gains on the next group of 3. Coming up to the turn though one of the group slowed & so I slotted in behind him rather than risk a collision on hte tight turn round the cone only to discover he was headed straight on as he just happened to be out for his morning run :s This allowed the rest of the group to open the gap back up but I continued to work hard & passed the back marker with about a K to go. Unfortunately this left no realistic target in sight as the others had pulled still further away & I relaxed a touch. Picked it back up when the chap I'd passed came on to my shoulder & thought I was safe. I hadn't reckoned with his sprint finish which he unleashed as we turned the final bend to beat me by 4s! Still 19:07 & 10th place was reasonable. Ran the course again easy as cd so almost 7M for the day. Really think yesterday's TM session helped my legs to switch the speed on straight away. No race tomorrow so I'll be getting another 20-22M run in around the Forest fire trails.
    Good luck to TR SQ at Chichester.
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Jools - well done on top 10 and dramatic finish! Yeah hip flexors a wee bit tight. Lots of short prancing on tippy toes to stay up in places

TR: I ran up the itchen Navigation so it was mainly trails. Nearly went arse over tit down Winchester high street - black ice took one foot away but managed to rescue myself and regain my balance. Could have been nasty. 

Chicksta : 13mi progression is a great session even if your not feeling tip top
  • Quick check in, apologies I’ll read what everyone else has been up to tomorrow.
    Checked my emails about 7pm and saw Watford had been cancelled because of the weather. I near immediately broke ‘dry January’ and I’m currently in the pub. 20 with 12 @ MP will still happen tomorrow, time dependent on the hangover.
  • Haha like your style HPR. Hope the hangover and MP aren’t mutually exclusive. 

Well done one on the parkrun, Jools. Nothing like a rogue non-racer to throw you. 

Nice long run, AWC. Excited to see be you’ll go in your spring marathon. 

Good long progression, Chicksta. 

George - I’d have thought LT should be faster than MP? Or is that aspirational MP?

Rubbish news, Westy. Have missed your presence here. 

Hope things are improving, HA?

-10C at one point on this morning’s drive to Chichester. Currently -5 in the car park, but roads look fine, sun’s out, and no wind. Hope to catch you after TR. I’ll look for someone in blue with strong shoulders. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Chick - well done on the 13.

AWC - sounds a nice route, ive done a few wslks with the dog along there.

45min, 10k(37.59), 75min, so somewhere between 20 and 21 in total. Started a bit far back for the 10k and was stuck a bit for a while, but had a strong run and could have gone a bit quicker. 30sec quicker than stubbington, but less windy and id had an easier week. Good brighton prep, with 10k at much quicker than mp. Once the sun came out and the temps stopped being -ve it was nice running on the motor cct, with no wind. I bet next sunday has a gale in store for me at worthing.

Managed to meet SQ for some miles afterwards, he smoked the 10k and was getting cold by the time i finished.
  • Great stuff TR and SQ. -10!! Blimey.

Hydeparkrunner: it's already February ;) so you probably accomplished dry January :smile: hope the hangover wasn't too bad.

Dramatic parkrunning, Jools.

I'd planned a rest day but the sun is out so I did 5 miles to give me 50 for the week. All easy. Will resume the sessions next week.
  • Great racing SQTR. Well done for turning the race into a LR with an LT+ 10K.
    Just over 22M on forest fire trails. Snow, ice & hills so not speedy but a solid time on feet run. Cold enough that I started with a jacket & buff though I was down to just a Tee & gloves after the first big climb. Beautiful morning for running.
  • Super long run jools. Can’t see you as a jacket kind of man! 

Always nice to get out in the sunshine, chicksta. 

Really happy with today’s Chichester 10k. It is the Sussex champs and so attracts a large and fast field - about 1600 runners. The route has changed a fair bit, with it now finishing with a lap of the historic Goodwood Motor Circuit. Very cold, but beautiful blue skies and low wind. I did my best to loosen off after after the long drive and did a couple of miles warm up, drills and strides. I debated for ages what to wear and in the end plumped for short socks this week, best and arm warmers but no hat. Could probably have survived without the gloves - you certainly generate heat in a couple 10k. 
    I jumped into the pen at the very front of the 35 minute section, behind that levelled as elite. There were a few who looked as though they were well out of place, but I had to eat my words for at least a couple as they came past me at the end. 
    Felt like I was working hard for the first mile and so 5:32seemed too fast but right for the effort. Settled a little bit from there and managed to tag nicely onto some groups. We entered Goodwood at the 6k marker. There were a few long drags and my legs were starting to get noticeably heavy. Suddenly 3k seemed a long way to go. People were coming past me at quite a rate. Dug in for a 5:37and 5:42last couple of miles. Upped the effort for the final 0.2 and gave it everything, although slowed to 5:5x pace. Had to fanny about for a short while over the line removing a glove before stopping the watch. I was confident of a sub 36:10 PB but not sure what else was on offer. I liked the old school style of printing results and sticking them on a board. I let out a fist pump of delight upon seeing 35:53. Result!
    As I had 16M on the plan, I jogged 3 laps of the circuit and really enjoyed teaming up with TR for a couple of them. Well run today mate and best of luck in Brighton. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools- nice, sounds like a decent long run. I bet thats pretty hill too.

SQ - well run, racing so well in build up races bodes well for your marathon as you must havd more to come. Thanks for the company, it was nice to meet up.

I had stitch towards the end of my 23m run last weekend, and had an ache from my ribs today, so maybe ive damaged a bit of rib slightly. .........i also forgot to mention that someone gave me a cup of water when i had finished today and it had ice in it.
  • RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Hi Westy. I found that fully loaded calf raises helped the PF more than just resting it.

Nice long run AWC.

Nice speedy parkrun yesterday Jools and long run today.

Great 10K TR and impressive long warm down afterwards.

Fantastic race SQ. I sympathise with your Apple Watch struggle at the end. Life was so simple with a Garmin!

Another snowy MLR on Friday went well and my recovery 5 yesterday was a bit faster than normal so I was quite hopeful my 18 with 10 @ MP today would go OK... and it did!

I had hoped that the rain would wash away the snow but in the end it just made it more slushy. My feet were slipping quite a lot in certain places and the snow was pretty uneven after all the horses and people walking in it for a few days so I was relieved to average 6:48 for the tempo miles.

Looks like we are back to mild weather next week - Yes!
  • Great snowy running, Ramjet. Impressive pace in those conditions. 

Not surprised about the ice, TR. what I forgot to say was WTF regarding the fruit. 1600 runners were given a sliced apple in individual plastic bags. What’s wrong with just handing out an actual apple?
  • SQ - fantastic running today mate. You really deserved that PB, been putting the hard work in recently, plenty more to come as well I'm sure.

TR - really decent shift from you as well today. Hope the rib isn't anything too serious.

Westy - really sorry to hear that, good to see you swing by. 

Ramjet - great to hear the MP went well - top stuff. 

Dropped in on Maidstone parkrun on Saturday on the way to the Kent Coast. 18:26, with 6mm feeling more comfortable than they have in a fair while, didn't push super hard, ended up 3rd. Loved watching the rugby with a few beers yesterday afternoon, cracking game. 

8.5 miles this morning and then 3 hours on the turbo this afternoon. 

Now currently trying to stay up all night and watch the superbowl. Made it last year, but already flagging and it's not even started yet.. 
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Nice work on the 10k SQ and TR. Well done on toughing it out for a PB SQ.

Good prs from Jools and Joe.

Well done on the icy run Ramjet, that's a tough one to do in those conditions.

With the rain this morning I was thinking the snow would be nearly gone and even though it was pretty grim out there I thought about doing a 6-7 mile progression. But around work it was still really icy and had no chance of doing anything at pace. I've never experienced such slippery conditions with lots of sections of hard ice, with the rain on it to make it really slippery. I could hardly even walk some sections without stumbling. It was windy and raining and I couldn't run fast enough to keep warm, so I cut it short and sat in my car for 15 minutes waiting for my office to open. Accidentally paused my watch so not even sure how far I went. Added to everything my knee hurt again, despite taking 3 days off and trying to look after it over the weekend. I'm not sure but on the sections where there was no ice it didn't hurt so I'm thinking it may be related to changing my running in the slippery conditions. I very rarely regret going for a run, but this was one of those occasions. 
  • Jools 19min 5k sounds nice to bag a top 10 finish

Sub 36min 10k SQ, awesome.

Rammers - 18 with 10 at MP is hard. put me to shame.

HA, sorry to hear the knee is not good still ITB is nasty!

After being accused of slacking with a day off Friday, I flagellated myself over the weekend with a gentle 8 miles hills, and a 20 miler in 2:38 with 4 faster miles (could not quite hit MP)

Planter Fasciitis is back with vengeance after that, could barely walk yesterday and this morning - more calf raises today and day off I think.

• Nice 10k TR and congrats on the PB SQ.
    Well done on the 18 with 10 Ramjet!

16 cold miles for me on Saturday morning, but felt really tough for the first 4 miles! Then in the afternoon I did 90 minutes on the bike (24 miles), so 40 combined miles for the day.
    5 miles on Sunday, including the last 2 at LT (6:15/6:20), to finish off with 45 running miles for the week.
  • Sorry to hear the PF is still troubling you Westy. Have you been doing any exercises to help with it?

Glad your hamstring is better chicksta. I’m sure the pace will come back soon enough.

Good LT George.

Very solid treadmill workout Jools, always pleasing when you do a session like that and feel like you had more in the tank.

Great long runs AWC and Jools.

That’s frustrating Hydeparkrunner. I had two planned HMs cancelled last year due to snow, very annoying.

Great 10K TR and well done doing such a long warm-down afterwards, that can’t have been fun on 10K legs. Hope the rib is ok.

Congrats on another PB SQ. Multiple PBs this early out bodes well for London.

Very solid MP in crap conditions Ramjet.

Decent parkrun Joe, sounds like things are coming together.

Hope the knee is indeed caused by the conditions HA, and it’s ok once things clear up. It’s horrible when the snow melts and refreezes, awful conditions.

That’s frustrating about the PF flaring up FBT, hope the calf raises help, and wise to take a day off.

Solid week Steve.

Not the most enjoyable weekend of running for me to be honest. Went up the river trail again Saturday, but it was getting a bit muddy for my liking, and then I hit multiple patches of frozen mud that had been rutted by mountain bikes, which wasn’t very pleasant to run over. I know a lot of people love trail running, but give me nice smooth tarmac any day!

Then yesterday it was absolutely freezing for my long run (forecast reckoned -8º when I headed out), although thankfully ice free. Despite wearing a thermal base layer, fleecy mid-layer, a fairly thick Gore wind-proof jacket, tights, gloves, buff, and a wind-proof hat, I felt pretty cold when in the shade. At times it felt like the cold air was restricting my breathing. I’m clearly just not built for cold weather, as I saw several people out in shorts and t-shirt! Anyway, despite temptation to cut it short at multiple points, I ground out 24 miles at 7:08/mi average, so about what I’ve been managing lately. Still, better than being stuck on a treadmill I suppose! 

Overall a decent week though. Second 110 mile week in a row, and third in the past four, so that’s pleasing. PF is behaving and touch wood the achilles is ok. I’m still not hitting the paces I was this time last year, but I am feeling stronger and like I’m building some momentum. 

• Spoons, I like running on tarmac, but the views trail running and isolation are great, don't generally get that on tarmac!

It was bloody cold early yesterday. 110 miles in a week is nuts Spoons! I managed my highest mileage week for over a year this week...52 miles!

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Good to see people were able to get out over the weekend despite the conditions.
    well done on the PB SQ, on a decent vein of form at the moment.

Against the odds, I did get to race the Arc 50 on Saturday. We were all packed and ready to leave for Cornwall on Thursday afternoon but reports were coming through that all the main routes were getting blocked due to the heavy snow. Quite a number of those sterling to do the 100 never made the start line.
    we eventually left home at 10:30 on Friday and after a few detours made it to Cor wall in just over 7 hours (usually 3.5) 
    registration for the 50 was at 5am on the Saturday before being bussed down to the Minack Theatre (nr Lands End) for an 8:30 start. We were greeted first tho by a hailstorm and then heavy rain but this cleared after an hour just leaving the wind to deal with. Managed to work my way into the top 10 by Mike 15 and my main aim was to stay there. Due to the course there wasn’t a great deal of consistent running done. Plenty of hiking, scrambling over rocks and negotiating stony descents. I felt great up until 40 miles but fadeda little towards the end as my lack of long runs showed and it was hard work navigating the cliff path in the dark. A bit of a death march in but still held on to 10th place in just over 11hrs 15. (Nearly 7,000 ft of climbing according to Strava) 

Will have an recovery week before starting a modified 12wk plan next Monday.
    i have the leg speed and the endurance. Just need to get marathon pace dialled in again. 
  • Great result Millsy. It’s not called the Arc of Attrition for nothing. Brutal section of the coastal path that. I’ve run all of it from Perranporth to Falmouth in stages. Much of it each way & multiple times.
    Sorry to hear the PF is back FBT. Decent weekend of training & hopefully it clears with a day to recover.
    24 miles at 7:08 is rapid Spoons.
  • Muddy - Sorry to heat about the fall, I hope the damage isn’t too bad
    HA77 - Just not possible for me, I haven’t found a running speed yet where I don’t sweat. The new boiler is in now, so normal service has resumed (although my wallet is having a bit of a cry). I hope your knee issue isn’t too serious, weather should be warming up this week so hopefully you can test it out in better conditions.
    Chicksta - Good return from illness, hopefully the speed comes back quickly
    George - Nice LT session
    Jools - Nice park running and long run
    TR - sounds like a very good session, great prep for Brighton. Hope the ribs are nothing serious
    SQ - PBs this early in the plan must bode well
    Ramjet - congrats on the 18 with 10, good pace with the ground conditions
    Joe - It seems your form is really coming back now. Decided on any goals for the year, marathon or not? I lasted until about 11:45 yesterday and then called it a night on the super bowl.
    FBT - it’s nice to know peer pressure still works, good running. Hope you get on top of the PF.
    Steve - Good week of mileage
    RSR - I agree, smooth tarmac all the way for me as well. Well done on toughing out the 24 miles and another huge mileage week
    Millsy - 50 miles, 7000 feet of climbing, hail storms, wind, sounds like a walk in the park 🙂 Congrats on the top 10, you must be in great shape heading into marathon training.

So with Watford cancelled I ended up having a few beers and then all the takeaway food, not ideal for running. I replaced the half with the run in the plan - 20 with 12 at MP. For MP training runs I use map my run to calculate the distance of the loop and the mile markers and use that as a guide for my pacing. Otherwise I find my garmin cuts the distance on the corners of the loop and also jumps around too much because of the over hanging trees to be useful. Garmin gave the MP section as 12.25 miles at 6:48s but I had it at 12.5 at 6:38s, which I think is a fairer representation (even if I measured slightly long, I think the weaving around gaggles of tourists evens it up). Other than a little bit of tightness in my hamstrings, the effort felt controlled and HR was actually a little short of MP. Really happy with the session and it puts my mind at rest over my lack of 5k speed.

• Spoons-Great 24 miler. For what it's worth I'm one of those cold weather runners in shorts! By contrast i feel very sweaty in anything above about 12 degrees
    SQ-Great PB. That sub 2:50 is on!
    Jools-Great Parkrun and report
    AWC-Great long run. I grew up in Winchester so I know it well. Very hilly mind! Am very tempted to do race to the king
    Steve-Good week under your belt
    Ramjet-Great LR with 10 of MP
    Joe-Nice Parkrun. Hope you enjoyed the Superbowl. Not watched it in full since I was a student!
    Millsy-Great 50 miler in what sounded like horrible conditions

Had a good LR yesterday. A bit of a made up session which was 21 miles with 3x 3 miles at MP. Did two of the MP surges in the 2nd half so was a good stimulus on fatigued legs. 7:50 overall average pace

Followed up by my usual Monday recovery 5 miles at lunch today. Nice low heart rate but feel like I'm running through treacle at times
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Ramjet - good run that, what is yr mara pb?

SQ - agreed, 1800 bag of fruit, surely easier and cheaper to give out an apple or banana.

HA - sorry to hear that, hope you are back to it soon.

FBT - nice 20, hope the PF eases.

Steve - great double there, excellent endurance work.

Spoons - well done on the 24, great work. I hope to do a 24 before brighton (did 23m last weekend). My legs moaned a bit in the last couple of miles yday, but i took that as a good thing.

Well done millsy, you will be dtrong before you even start marathon training.

HP - thats a great confidence booster, what is yr spring target?

George - that was a great long run too. Esp with both mp sections late on.

I ended up having a much lighter week than planned last week due to the weather and ended up with 2x mlr and 5 x 5 or 6 milers. I did plan a light week this week before worthing, but i dont want 2 in a row,  so as my legs felt fine after ydays efforts i did 13m home this evening.
  • That's a good sign TR. Daily average of 11M over the last 2 months with some harder stuff in there too has obviously toughened them right up. Having 3 double digit days in a row then a lighter end to the week would still see you hit 70+ & should give you enough recovery for a decent run in Worthing too.
    Crackin LRs from George HPR over the w/e & a very solid day's endurance from Steve. How's your swimming Steve? Got to be worth having a crack at a triathlon or duathlon with all the XT you've been doing.
    Hope you're right about the ice-adjusted gait causing the knee issues HA.
    After the w/e my legs were feeling pretty battered due to running nearly 7M in the Piranhas including parkrun then yesterday I was in the Roc-lites which have even less cushioning so I was looking forward to my run-free Monday. Unfortunately I'd forgotten it was the 5K 4 Cancer Care charity 5K at work all week & I'd agreed to lead the kids round the course. It was the turn of Y7 (11-12 yr olds) today & they have no idea about pacing. Fortunately my XC club assistant was feeling fresher so he was able to go with their crazy pace at the start whereas I was back in about 15th after the first 100m. I then worked my way through to 2nd by about 1K but one lad managed to stay in front all the way to 4K. It's going to be harder tomorrow with Y8 :D At least my legs should feel a bit fresher.  
  • Congratulations on your second placing Jooligan  :p 
    Really good running Millsy... I've been meaning to read up on the AoA... and suspected that it might be a bit thin on the start line.  10th place is great. Well done.
    Sorry about the injury Westy.   And FBT... make sure your improved discipline includes resting that foot.
    Joe - not showing good stamina there... hope you got a second wind.  I just watched the highlights programme tonight - that made for a good watch.  I generally enjoy sporting occasions where it's a war of tactics and attrition... Spectactular snooker, cricket and AF are good fun, but that match looked fascinating.
    Sorry to miss out a few.  Nothing to report from me.  My daughter's eighteenth dominated the weekend, so I've had plenty of time to recover from last week's long run.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Jools - do you plan a 5k each day with a different year group?

10m back again this morning  so 43 or 44m in 48hrs, legs were a bit weary in last mile or so. Slightly progressive (5 av 8.10, 5 av 7.3X), without meaning to. Will ease off for worthing 1/2 now. All good money in the bank.
  • TR - Nice mileage.
    Jools - Nice 2nd place! My swimming I'd describe as splashing around :D Might be tempted by a duathlon one day, but I'd need swimming lessons to get the technique right to even think about a triathlon.
    Millsy - Superb running at AoA, the SWCP is brutal, so can only imagine what 50 miles of it is like!!
    Spoons - Epic mileage and nice 24 miler!
    Early 10 miler this morning to kick off the week.
  • Just to be clear I managed to get go past the youngster at 4K!
    Yes TR: Y7 yesterday, Y8 today, Y11 tomorrow, then Y9 Thursday & Y10 Friday. We generally have a charity sporting challenge each year & this time it's a 5K. Fortunately I can't do tomorrow so my MLR won't be compromised.