Options

Manchester 2019

Comments

• Options
    Ian5 and Little Nell- cheers for the info folks, comforting :) . Managed 14 miles today so hoping to kick the training on now. For the long runs I’m hoping to do focus a bit more on getting some miles at MP. Need to get the tired legs used to trying to keep the pace going 
  • Options
    > @Hill1 said:
    > Just booked a hotel - Holiday Inn Express Manchester Trafford City.
    > It isn't city centre but it's not far from Old Trafford, plus it has parking and free cancellation up until 5th April! 

Ill take it if you dont want it :-) struggling to find any where now
  • Options
    Any one know of accommodation near by? Cant find anything under 300!! thanks
  • Options
    Good to see some more entrants posting. Good to see many well into training now too.

As has been mentioned the course is as flat as it can be whilst traversing many roads ranging from suburban streets, sprawling country lanes and major A roads back into Trafford. No need to train specifically on hills for it but a good idea to do some hilly runs to increase strength. As a footnote, all my long runs are along the Ashton/Marple canal tow path... Perfect for training the same muscle groups that will be in use on race day.

Gaz - have you considered a little out of town but on a tram connection? I travel over from East Manchester via tram on race day and it's painless. Takes me about 35-40 mins with a change. Might help keep costs down this way.

Second 20 today which felt much better than last week's shock to the system.

12 weeks to go...
  • Options
  • Options
    Sol2Sol2 ✭✭✭
    Jason - you just caused me to reach for the calendar in a panic! According to my counting, Nick is correct: 13 to go... 

I've just had a bad cold, so it looks like this week will be a shockingly low mileage week. But I had a cut-back week planned for this coming week, so the timing wasn't too terrible. 

Otherwise, the training has been coming along nicely, last week reaching 55 miles with a faster 14-miler and a long run of 18.

Keep up the good work  everybody! 
  • Options
    Ah yes... The Pfitzinger & Douglas schedules call 1 week to go 'Race week'. The week before 'Race week' is 1 week to go.... Hence my confusion.

It's good news though.. extra week etc 😂
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Some good training going on.
    Gaz-Im looking to stay somewhere also,as it's hopefully my gfa attempt in going to stay a night rather than drive over first thing.Nice tip about staying a little out and tram in.
    I'm just about finished training for gran canaria in 3 weeks then up again for Manchester.
  • Options
    In terms of staying a little bit out the night before, would east Manchester be the best for tram links? Only been to Manchester a few times so not overly familiar with the city. 
  • Options
    We have a travel Inn out next to me and a tram line 5 mins walk away. Audenshaw stop. However, you can probably do some research and find better/closer to save on time on the day. I only know the route I take coz I live here 😀.

It's definitely an option tho if city centre hotels are charging a fortune.

The race takes place on the southern side of the city so maybe look around there? Sale, Altrincham etc have tram connections to the start in Trafford.
  • Options
    Sol2Sol2 ✭✭✭
    May I suggest to just take a look at the Metrolink map and choose locations based on proximity to tram stops. Trams are fairly frequent and efficient, even if your destination requires a change. 
  • Options
    Sounds like a plan guys. Cheers 
  • Options
    Started the long runs at weekend and Managed 15 miles at 8.45 min / mile pace which is well within the 4 hour marathon pace target. Was though on fresher legs as miles either side Christmas where limited :) 

Will aim for about 35 total miles this week
  • Options
    Hi All. I am running Manchester marathon this year, having enjoyed it in 2018. Training going ok, though still plenty of time for the injuries to appear! Did 3:47 in 2018, hoping for a PB and to go under 3:40. Would really love to go under 3:30 but don't think that's a goer. Got two warm up races in Feb (HM and 20m) so will set a marathon target after those.
  • Options
    Nice one Philh1969. 20 mile race will be ideal preparation
  • Options
    Stockholm SyndromeStockholm Syndrome ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I thought about earlier in the thread which training program I would follow but have now decided on Shades. Have just done my first 30 km run but unfortunately I have some pain on the outside of the knee. I visited a physiotherapist this week who thought it was the IT band that created the problem from a stiff hip. He massaged my hip and gave me some stretching exercises so hopefully it will be better. I don't want to get injured now when it's time to ramp up the milage.

Good luck with your long runs this weekend. Less than three months to race day now...

• Options

SS - sorry to hear that. I think we're both in the same boat, my knee is really giving me grief at the moment, but I'm right at peak mileage training (I'm doing Barcelona on the10th of March before Manchester, so need to be a few weeks ahead of you). It really sucks, and I've got all manner of stretches to do, feel like I'm constantly icing it. Good luck and hopefully we'll both be there.
  • Options

Finally entered last week... also achieved my highest mileage week ever last week... 42 ! which i know probably isnt no where near alot of you ! But my old body struggles with too much !

17 Mile long run done in 2 1/2 hours and generally felt reasonably comfortable.  Only a few degrees warmer and the conditions would been near perfect... Flat, no wind and a little bit of sun. 
  • Options

I was in for Manchester but suffered a glute hip injury last year which then led to Plantar Fasciitis which I'm struggling with now so deferred to 2020.

If anyone is looking for accommodation I can recommend Altrincham Travelodge.  Just a few stops on the Tram, Convenient if you have family supporting too as you run past/ near it.  They start breakfasts early to cater for the marathon but be warned there were nearly tears from some runners as they had no banana's.

Good luck and enjoy it.

• Options
    Hi guys, having ran manchester twice this year i was hoping to run it with my wife (her 1st time) as a relay, however would like her to experience the 1st leg start and 4th leg finish. Any advice on easy for her to get from Dane rd 1st exchange to Manor ave 4th exchange which does not involve too much walking in between for her. I will be around 110-120 mins for my middle 2 legs.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    3:11 today at Gran Canaria sets me up well for a crack at 3:10 at Manchester,20 degrees and hillier than expected,both of which I shouldn't need to worry about in April.
  • Options
    Oh - fab time Ian... really well done! Congratulations! :grin: If you can do that on hills you should smash 3:10 round the streets of Sale and Alty!

jkplatt - I'm not sure that's a particularly easy thing to do as there aren't really any tram stops close to both relay change over places. If she doesn't want to do any walking between the two then it looks like a taxi might be the best bet as she might be able to get a taxi to cut through the residential streets to avoid the road closures - provided the taxi can get through to pick her up in the first place.

• Options
    Well the weather hasn't been helping the training schedule this week but I think I'm just about on track. Doing a half on Sunday as a bit of a shakedown and see where I'm at
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    James-hope the half goes well today.
    Does anyone else have halves comes up soon to see where they are up to?I'm doing Wrexham in 2 weeks so will give me a good indicator if I have any speed or not.
  • Options
    James - hope the HM went well. Which one was it?

Ha! Ian... guess what... I'm doing the Village Bakery HM too. See you there! I've also got High Legh 10K as a sharpener and Wilmslow HM two weeks before Manchester.

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Hey Nell-Not stalking you honest  ;)  I'm doing chester 10k in March to see how that goes,I was going to do Wilmslow but decided a last long run will be better as I'm on holiday the week of that race so might be carrying a bit of timber.
  • Options
    Hi folks, haven't been posting, just lurking due to buggering a knee a number of weeks back. Seems pretty much sorted now, did a XC for my club today. Only 5m, had 700' of ascent, and no mud to speak of! 8:34 pace, but couldn't have gone much further. 
    Still, whilst I could turn up in April and get round, I wouldn't be running it. So that's me out this year, and back to it next year. 

Have fun folks and hope you get out of it everything you want.
    If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • Options
    Did a 10 mile event last weekend and got a PB averaging 7.45 / mile. 

Can’t  really find a half within an hour of me  to fit in with my diary so that’s probably it in terms of races 

Did first 20 mile this weekend and averaged 8.47 / mile so maintaining sand long run pace since training started . Was tired and HR was starting to rise but overall happy 

gonna have a quieter week on miles this week as knee is a little sore 
  • Options
    Ian - I'm doing the Anglesey half marathon in a few weeks which looks a really scenic route!
    Has anyone ran this before?
    Hope everyone's training is coming along nicely, I'm nearly at half way of my 16 week plan and touch wood feeling good so far!
  • Options
    Apart from pain in right knee that has developed over last couple weeks... training is going ok so far. Did 16 miles undulating on Sunday and felt reasonably ok. Averaging just over 40 miles a week at the mo which is alot for me