My Last Run

Comments

• JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Hazelnut, glad you enjoyed your skiing weekend.

Will, I know it's really annoying when you come down with something but you're doing the right thing in resting up for a few days.

Just a 4.44 miles slow run yesterday.Club interval session tonight.
  • Well done for getting out in the cold, everyone. Matt, good news your foot feels better.

A cold 12 miler today. I decided to wait for daylight (and therefore post-rush hour - I don't like sharing pavements with commuters and schoolkids) which meant skipping my 10am pilates, but never mind. No frost on the ground today, which was pleasing. Grumpy achilles was not so pleasing. I think my calves are super tight since Sunday which has probably set it off. It was grumpy yesterday too.
  • A fairly standard 8 miler today. Nothing remarkable at all, I'm afraid.
    Will, hope you're starting to feel a bit better.
  • Good mileage Cal. 

Hope you enjoyed the intervals JD.

Sorry about the foot issues Matt.  Hopefully just a short term thing if you reacted well to the different shoes.

I've had a couple of very hectic days at work, got a decent 10 miler done on Wednesday with the 150m strides again and a 4 mile recovery yesterday.  I had planned to do a tempo run today but I'm not in the mindset for it.  Will do another recovery instead in a bit, should get out asap as it is a lovely sunset right now but I need to finish some work first - grrr.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Evening all

Cal,I've suffered with my achilles over the years,got to a point a couple of summers ago I couldn't hardly walk never mind run.It's been relatively fine 15 months now.I keep stretching and strengthening my calves and also ice my achilles after most runs,seems to keep it under control.

Nice 10 miler,Hazelnut.Work always gets in the way.
    Interval were cancelled because there was too much snow and ice,so we just did a slow group run.

Didn't want to go out today feeling very tired,but forced myself out.Felt great once I got going,wonderful what running and excercise can do to you.I did a very muddy 8 miles.
  • Yep definitely JD.  I decided to postpone the remaining work and get out (the joys of home office and my job do to some extent allow for that).  Did a run with a purpose and jogged to the local farm shop to get some bread and other bits (took a small rucksack with me).  Fortunately the bread was cool already - there is no way I could have run back the other way (involving a long drag of a hill) carrying the heavenly scent of warm bread without tucking in!  Just short of 6 miles, pace unimportant - did it as I felt.
  • Catford parkrun today (plus a mile jog to get my lift, and another mile from where I was dropped off to home). Nice park, a little undulating and a lot on grass, but fortunately it wasn't too muddy so my trail shoes coped well enough.
    25:30 official time though I measured the course a little short. Felt more like a 26 minute run. Nice cafe - it was in a shipping container so it didn't look great from the outside but they had some very  nice flapjacks!
  • That's all making me hungry, just as I am knuckling down to a strictest diet as I now need to get right back into the mara training!

My first run for 8 days today and I was absolutely gagging to lace up and get out again. It was just a chest test really, to see how I fared. My lurgy is mostly gone but my chest was still a bit tight and the lungs were defo under power. Still, apart from that and a lot of nose fluid exits (!) It went quite well. Nice to get the legs back in motion and felt good after 4.5 miles at 9:26 m/m. Going for an 8 miler tomorrow and then a series of medium length runs before I ramp up to another long LSR next weekend. Good to be back.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Hmm - flapjacks..!  It seems you can also tour cafes by doing parkruns then?  (and why not..).  Good time.

Please be careful not to overcompensate for the missed training Will.  The 4 + 8 are a good way to get back into it.  Good to see you back and raring to go.

My P&L plan suggested a trial race this week but none were available so I decided to practice doing a progressive run.

A bit under 3 miles warm up to the flat stretch I wanted to use, then a quick break to hang various bits of clothing in a convenient tree.  Then 10 and a half loops up and down a ditch with a decent path on both sides to do 10km progressive followed by a gentle cool down of 2 miles.  The progression went well - I set off at around 10 seconds / mile over mara pace and finished on a couple of seconds under LT pace for 47:15 for the 10k and an average pace equivalent to my HM PB pace.  Had a couple of over large jumps in pace at the beginning and the last couple of km were a struggle to speed up anymore.  Progressive runs are tough:  once I get to an uncomfortable pace (somewhere between mara and HM pace for me) I know its only going to get harder and harder!   I find doing a constant hard pace easier.
  • Nice progression effort there, Hazelnut. If only I could do a 10K that fast, in practice or at any time!

The enforced break must have done some good as I was able to jump out of bed at 5.30am this morning and be out running by 6.00. Squally, wet and cold and still with some sinus issues, I enjoyed the run nonetheless. I am being mindful not to push too hard after missing the best part of 2 week's training, but actually my legs and lungs are taking care of that by themselves. I couldn't really do anything but a slow, easy pace this morning and so ended up doing 8.22 miles at 10:20 m/m. I just chugged along in the wind and rain and darkness, with a couple of Blackbirds and 'walk of shamers' for company. Always one for a gimmick, I tried out a caffeine bullet as a fuelling option after 4 miles. It didn't taste great but certainly woke my head up! Not sure it did anything for my legs.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • I decided to can my long run today and take a break as I didn't feel great when I woke up. Tired and a little under the weather. My body is telling me to take a break.
  • A bit better today so went out for 6 miles at an easy pace. The day off yesterday did me some good I think.
  • Not a fan of caffeine on the run myself, doesn't agree with me unfortunately.  Good idea to try things out you might use in your mara Will.

Did the same as Cal yesterday and didn't do a long run as planned.  Wasn't really tired or niggly nor did I have CBA but after a few stressful days I needed a break from having to do things including running.

8 miles along the river today instead.  The outbound leg against a pretty stiff breeze was quite hard work as was the steep camber of the road in parts.  Birds: errm gulls, ducks and swans - very specific I know. Ah and a cormorant.  Feet got a bit damp due to the mix of soft snow and slush but were warm enough.
  • I woke up at stupid o' clock so ended up going out at 5.30am and running 16 miles, which was partly to make up for missing Sunday. I think it was too cold for wildlife as I didn't see anything beyond commuters and dog walkers.
  • Yep, it's a bit cold out isn't it? I found it affected my breathing a bit today. First few miles were a bit burnt on the throat. A rest yesterday, so hit the usual longy trail for a medium run of 10 miles. I like that I can now say that 10 miles is a medium distance. A bit of a mix of paces, between 9:20 and 10:15 m/m, slower in the stickier parts. A few birds about though, looking to keep their food levels up. Jays, Robins, a flock of Fieldfare and some cute Long Tailed Tits. Also, a Munjac Deer, that initially looked like it was a dog belonging to a walker - very unperturbed by our presence. 

I tried the caffeine bullets again, at 3 and 7 miles, and think I like them. They seemed to give me a boost and good bit of mental sharpness, that meant I was able to concentrate on keeping my form in order. I was also able to do the last 2 miles a bit quicker than the middle part, so may stick with them. 10.05 miles in 98 minutes - happy with that.

One little tip you might try. I've been wearing my good hiking socks for cold runs and love the comfort and warmth. May not be for you, but I like a thick sock generally to run in and they seem to be keeping my battered toes from falling apart too.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • A horrid run this morning. I was always going to be doing a recovery run, but some very slippery bits forced me to lower my pace a lot more than intended (I averaged 11:43 min/mi for this run). The pavement outside my house seemed fine but there were a lot of other surfaces that were not, and in the dark spots between the street lights it wasn't easy to see the icy bits so I had to slow right down. After five miles of that I'd had enough and so headed home for brekky.
  • Sounds like fun, Cal :) Glad you stayed on your feet. A thin layer of snow here but most of the paths in the cemetery were clear, with only the odd patch of ice. Just 5K for me, in 28 mins, which cleared the slight stiffness in my legs. Enjoyed the sun shining off the snow and ice and had two bonus spots of Green Woodpecker and Mistle Thrush. Feel like I'm back on plan now.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Nice early long run Cal.  Wish I could do that.  Well done for staying upright this morning and I wouldn't worry about pace in those conditions for sure.

And a good 10 miler by Will too.  The prospect of 10 miles used to fill me with dread but after several rounds of mara training it feels pretty normal to do a run of that length (some days are harder than others obviously).
    Nice wildlife spots (today also)

I am generally fine with normal running socks in winter, I just use longer ones than in summer so that I don't get cold ankles.  I think my running shoes would be too small if I used my hiking socks in them (the thinner ones might work though).

Yesterday's group outing was very icy in parts and our pace was quite a bit down as well due to not clearly seeing the dodgy spots in the dark.  The bridges and side roads where the snow had melted and the resultant water was freezing over were particularly treacherous.  No slips or falls fortunately.  Quads went to concrete up the hills.   
  • Another 6 miles late afternoon once the wind had dropped.  Still pretty icy but it being daylight I could see where to tread carefully.   Found a smooth and ice free bit of tarmac for 8 x strides.  Did those quite well, found it helped not to jog into them but to stop and then walk the first 1-2 steps and then build the speed smoothly.

Rest of the run was a bit quicker than intended, I am trying to pick up my feet a bit better and it automatically makes me run faster.  Need to be cautious about making changes to my gait though. 
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Looks like you're back on track,Will.I know lots of runners like a caffeine boost before a run,I haven't tried it yet, always worried about getting stomach cramps.

You're putting in good miles,Hazelnut.I enjoy a 10 mile run,usually try and do them at tempo pace.

Just an easy 5.03 miles this morning.Resting up tomorrow,then racing Saturday .
  • Good luck for your race on Saturday JD.  What are you running and do you have a particular goal?

I certainly can't go out on an early run (when I do them) without a double espresso.  (+ banana and a mug of tea).  No stomach problems with that, I think with the caffeine gels it is the combination with the sugars that don't agree with me.  

Today I wasn't sure what sort of running I would be doing on setting out as we had had some more centimetres of snow overnight which didn't look like it was going anywhere.  Trudged around the field tracks for about 3 and a half miles - slow pace due to the heavy going, inserting a few cautious drills.  Then as I had hoped the snow plough had cleared the snow off the minor road I often use for speed work so I got stuck into 10 x 600m off 1:40 recoveries.  As usual the first one was a shock to the system but as of number three I had settled down quite nicely and got through the whole lot ok.  Paces are not as good as I would like them to be - ranging from between 2:33 and 2:42 and according to the pace tables I should be able to do 2:27s but I'm happy enough with the results as 10 of anything seem a bit daunting on setting off.  Another mile to cool down.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    That's good going, Hazelnut,considering the heavy snow you have there.
    I'm racing in the final meeting of the North Wales Cross Country league.Think there's six clubs competing Saturday.It's a tough course and no doubt it'll be very muddy. There's some very good runners, so my expectations aren't very high,I'm just there to make up the numbers.But on a good note there's plenty of homemade cake and hot coffee after the race.
  • Nice speed reps, Hazelnut. Are you getting lots of snow yet? The UK is coming to a standstill with at least 2cm!!

Good luck with the XC, JD. Sounds like fun and I'm sure the snow will add to the experience.

Cold here in Norfolk but only a sprinkling of the white stuff. It was -2 when I did a 5.5 miler on Thursday night. 3 layers + a gilet were needed, but on the positive side, it was so cold I ran quite quickly, so a worthwhile sesh!

Rest day Friday and then I took my Dad out training this morning, to prepare for his race debut at the end of March in a trail 10K. We had only planned to do 5 miles, but as things were going nicely we did the full 6.2, my Dad's longest run to date, in 1 hr 4 mins. Some precarious ice patches slowed us down and I'm confident we'll get under an hour on the day. Not bad for a 74 year old. Just hope I'm that fit in 30 year's time!
    I run, therefore I am.
  • I was feeling a bit under the weather the past two days. Thursday was a rest day anyway but I was supposed to run yesterday; however, feeling a bit run down and with a grumpy achilles, I decided not to brave the dreadful weather.
    Today was better and I ended up at Roundshaw Downs parkrun (it should have been Foots Cray but that was cancelled). This one was basically a cross country course - a bit undulating, still quite snowy and also rather muddy in places. Well, very muddy in places. My trail shoes coped with the snow but not so well with the mud (spikes would have been better, but I don't have any) so I had to slow a lot in places and came in at 28:10. However, this underwhelming time was still good enough for my highest ever gender placing - 4th - and despite everything, I really rather enjoyed the course.\

Well done to your dad, Will - that's excellent.

And I hope you did well today, JD.
  • That is a great placing Cal and even better if you enjoyed it. 

Definitely well done to MrC senior, Will.  Well done for getting out in that cold.

Hope the XC went ahead JD and you had a good outing. 

I CBAed yesterday as it weas pretty nasty out with rain all day into several centimetres of snow and then a bit more of the white stuff on top.  Would have been a recovery anyway so no harm done.

Today's conditions weren't any better on the ground at least and from above the rain/snow was replaced by fog.  Told myself to get on with it and got out for 11 and a bit miles.  Added a few ups and downs and had long stretches of of the slippy stuff underfoot so ragged pacing but that doesn't matter.  Couple of minor slips but no falls.  Kicked myself in the achilles 2-3 times which bloody hurt.  Had the wrong trail shoes on, the Bushidos are more suited to rocky stuff and didn't have enough grip.
  • A great effort in tough conditions, Hazelnut. I committed to an 18 miler this morning and was up and out by 6am, after a late night out with Mrs Will. The ice, however,  had other ideas. After less than a mile of slipping about and trying in vain to find some traction I decided it would be better back in bed rather than in A and E! Mission aborted and will have to get the miles into the plan somehow during the week.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Bad luck after you made the effort to get up Will.  Can you shunt in a longish run durin the week somewhere? 10-13 maybe?

A 5 miler in more of the wet soggy stuff this afternoon with OH.  Much slower than recovery pace but it felt harder than a recovery effort.  Really hope the nasty mess melts properly in the next couple of days.  We did at least "run" a route I am not familiar with, near to where OH used to work which was nice.

Finally making some race plans for the next few months. (10k - HM)  Once I have that set up I can plan some good training.
  • I have half marathons on the next two weekends and in an ideal world I've have knocked out a 20 today, but a) I wasn't feeling great again and b) I delayed my run until lunchtime to give the ice chance to melt, so I had to make do with a 12.
    The blue skies were nice, but the sun was a bit of a pain as it's low in the sky and in my eyes a lot.
    I hope I feel better by next weekend. I'm not really ill, just not really well either.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Will - unlucky with the aborted 18 miler,very frustrating.Your Dad did fantastic,hope I'm still running at that age.

Good milage in tricky conditions,Hazelnut.

Cal,hope you're feeling better,Im sure you'll pick those extra miles up in the week.

XC yesterday afternoon,it was only 5.5 miles but one of the hardest races I've competed in.The mud was the enemy!My trail shoes were next to useless,just sliding all over the place.Still felt drained when I got up,so I ditched the run and took the dogs out first thing.Back to it tomorrow.

• I guess you needed spikes JD.  Hope you have had a nice rest day.

Conditions here have improved quite a bit between yesterday and this afternoon, the slush was pretty much frozen through. I find that much easier to run on as it generally stays put when you step on it and has a rough surface.  Ruts, deep footprints and the like need caution though.

I found a mostly ice free loop anyway, so set about a warm up of around 4 miles with 4 x strides, then did one mile as close to 10k PB pace as I could then another 2 miles to cool down.  Was 3 seconds / km off the pace but I'll blame a couple of corners and a couple of patches of the cold stuff.  Felt very hard though, don't know how I did another 5 miles on top in September at that pace.