overtraining risks?

4 weeks to go before Anglesey Half Marathon. Looking forward to it and training hard. Last years annual mileage was about 1100 so been putting miles in. A colleague is also doing the run and we kind of spur each other on. If I go out and do 10 miles, he sees it on strava and goes and does more. You get the picture. I did nearly 17 miles today giving me a weekly mileage of over 50, which is a bit of a spike. 

Pretty sure the more experienced among you will concur that I am overdoing it what would you suggest with 4 weeks to go. For the record I am 54 and PB for this race is 1:52:00 I would really like to be sub 1:50. 

Interested to know the pitfalls of excess mileage and happy to take on board sensible advice.

Thanks

Comments

• TTTT ✭✭✭
    Too many miles too quickly means much more risk of injury. Also the possibility of not recovering between runs meaning your next run will be much harder and you are at more risk of injury. You might be fine, you might not be. The main rule of approx 10% a week works really well. You can do the distance, why not look at replacing some distance with intensity? 
  • james rickettsjames ricketts ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Thanks, shorter runs with faster pace then? Hills (plenty round here - its Wales!) 
    What about weekend long runs before the HM. what would you suggest as a maximum distance? 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    No, just easy runs outside a specific session. You dont need to work up a sweat and breathe hard for it to make a difference. In fact its quite the opposite.

I'll go out on a limb here and wager you already be running your easy runs a bit fast. What paces are you generally running the bulk of your mileage at. Your race pace is circa 8. 30mm so hopefully around 10mm.....
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Have a look at a hm training schedule to see how they taper off. It will be helpful to you i think. 
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Hills are really good for building strength in your legs. Run up and jog down. There should be a marked spike in your HR as you go up. I do intervals on the treadmill. Quarter of a mile at speed (for me 80 secs below HM pace) followed by two mins walk, six times. Warm up and cool down added. I do either one interval session or hill work a week. 
  • DT19 said:
    No, just easy runs outside a specific session. You dont need to work up a sweat and breathe hard for it to make a difference. In fact its quite the opposite.

I'll go out on a limb here and wager you already be running your easy runs a bit fast. What paces are you generally running the bulk of your mileage at. Your race pace is circa 8. 30mm so hopefully around 10mm.....
    long run pace generally 9.40 - 10 mm so yes probably a tad fast. Should try harder to keep HR in the green zone. My colleague wont listen. He did 15 miles yesterday and has just posted another long run of 13.5 miles on Strava. He's only been running these sort of distances since Christmas!

TT I think the treadmill will be best for the intervals as you say and I have a mill in the mancave. So much easier than trying to guess the pace outside.
  • YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Are you feeling any of the symptoms of overtraining?

https://www.runnersworld.com/training/a20795770/classic-signs-youre-overtraining/

If not, just stick with the volume and taper two weeks out.
  • the only thing I have is soreness on front of both ankles. Doesnt hurt when I run but I am concerned it may get worse.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    With 4 weeks to go, of course you dont want to get injured now and youve got two big weeks of trsining before you taper off. At the end of this I'd rather lose the training races but win the actual race. That involves getting to the start line fresh and fit. Dont get drawn into strava nonsense in last 10 days as the fitness gains from those sessions wont filter through for the race do nothing to gain. 
  • Thanks, will keep you posted about the half
  • DT19 said:
    With 4 weeks to go, of course you dont want to get injured now and youve got two big weeks of trsining before you taper off. At the end of this I'd rather lose the training races but win the actual race. That involves getting to the start line fresh and fit. Dont get drawn into strava nonsense in last 10 days as the fitness gains from those sessions wont filter through for the race do nothing to gain. 
    absolutely spot on advice. I did taper off, and became more focussed on the race. I knew that my colleague tended to run out of steam and lose pace after a few miles so I just set off and did my own thing then sailed past him at mile 11 getting in 2 minutes ahead. Official time 1:48:38 which is a massive pb for me and I am still wearing a massive grin. 

Strava trace here for any who are interested
    https://www.strava.com/activities/2187874041

As ever thanks for the good advice and support RW