Shorts - 2-in-1, with zipped pockets - Recommendations Please

Hi, 

Looking for a pair of shorts to run my marathon in - I prefer 2-in-1, not necessary the lycra inner type, mesh inner is fine, so i can run commando. 

Shorts must also have side zipped pockets, so i can carry gels.

Is there such a thing?

Pockets are a must, thus if I have to compromise i will wear base layer shorts underneath. 

Any recommendations much appreciated. Thank you

Comments

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    I've been using TCA shorts as I also need 2 zip side pockets and they are really hard to find,the ones I got are just the shorts,so use a base layer.If I remember they were about £17.
  • Thanks Ian, just seen them on Amazon and have fantastic reviews. I got some Under Armour base shorts recently in a sale which would work well. Will certainly consider these, thank you 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Just had a quick look on their site and there's a few different shorts now,I use the elite tech and they definitely have 2 side zip,some of the others I can't quite see in the pics if they have side zips,just says zip in the description.If you see any other good ones post them here as I know it's a problem lots have.
  • Hey Ian, just looked on the TCA site and they have endurance 2-in-1 shorts with 2 x zipped pockets at £23 - no reviews, so searched for them on Amazon, and they sell them there for only £11.99 - not sure if this is a pricing error, but that's the price they're selling them at. 

www.amazon.co.uk/TCA-Endurance-Running-Shorts-Pockets/dp/B07LH97ZPT

For a spring marathon i'm looking for something shorter, otherwise they would have been worth a punt - will keep looking.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up,just ordered 2 pairs
  • Glad to have helped. :)
  • Decathlon doe a pair of shorts called warm weather or hot weather shorts. They have a zip pocket at the back and a pouch plus a zip inner on the front. Quite light and have a mesh inner to hold your bits. Only 15 quid to. I have several and love them. Front pocket is great for holding phone so you can slip it out, snap a pic and stuff it back in without issues.
  • Mmm had a look and can't see them on their website anymore.
  • Cheers Red,

I had a look at the Decathlon site and found these - https://www.decathlon.co.uk/kiprun-light-mens-shorts-id_8488090.html ticks all the boxes and have my size available in my local store, so will go and try a pair on in the week. 

Thanks
  • North Face zip off walking trousers for me, with a normal belt. The zip pocket is tight to you so your phone or whatever won't slap your thigh. Back pocket for energy gels or glasses when they inevitably steam up. 
  • I had another look. These are similar to the ones I bought but it looks like they changed them to baggy style. Maybe they will so the shorty ones again in summer.
    https://www.decathlon.co.uk/m-trail-baggy-shorts-black-id_8503016.html
  • I actually ended up ordering a pair of New Balance Accelerator shorts, as had a good deal, no zipped pockets but the 2 front pockets are deep, and the material is the lightest i've known. Trailed them with 2 x sis gels in each front pocket, and after a short while didn't even notice they were there (no, they hadn't fallen out). Best shorts i've owned - only thing size guide is a bit generous, ordered large and exchanged to medium - i'm a 34/36" waist. 
  • Ian5 said:
    Thanks for the heads up,just ordered 2 pairs
    @ian5 Just wondered how you found the TCA 2-in-1 endurance shorts? 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Portlanders-they are ok,they are quite long so if you don't like longer shorts they are no good.1 pair has just started giving me a little chafing underneath so will see if it continues,if it does I'll send them back so I'd say the juries out at the minute.
  • Thanks Ian5, i'm going to give them a try myself. 

The NB accelerate shorts which i thought were prefect for my needs, suddenly didn't perform at all well on a long run - kept riding up and caused chaffing. So they've gone back. 

They were quite long at 7", and that was ok, so maybe these will be too - if not will probably end up paying more for the TCA's without the compression inner, and wear those with my UA compression shorts underneath. 
  • Nope, you were right Ian5, too long.. so back they go. 

Going to pop to Decathon tomorrow to take a look at the ones redbikejohn linked to, and others they sell. Sports Direct is also next door. 
  • Liked the Under Armour Speed Stride's in Sports Direct - didn't have my size, and the Under Armour Launch - did have my size but more expensive than the Speed Strides. Went home and found the Launch cheaper on amazon, but it 2 lengths, 5" & 7", so ordered both as they are free returns - they arrive tomorrow. Will give them both a test-run in the next week to see which best suits - and if gels will fit and hold in the 5" pockets. 
  • UA Launch shorts arrived today, pockets on 5" length just as deep as those on the 7" length, and prefer the 5" length - front right pocket is actually 2 pockets in 1, with a small phone holder pocket in addition. 2 x gels sit comfortably in each pocket, inner brief looks supportive, and i like the side ventilation panels. Going for a long run in the 5" length ones tomorrow and if good will send the 7" back and exchange for another 5".