P&D Spring Marathon 2019

Comments

• AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Millsy: great result in tough conditions on an even tougher course!
    George: I've done RTTK the last 2 years. Great race and very well organised/supported. I would definitely recommend it, and of course its one of the best finish lines at the front door of the cathedral. Doesn't get much more satisfying than that.
    Ramjet: nice MP run
    TR: good 13 miler
    FBT: thats pants about the PF. Hope it clears up soon. So frustrating
    I've come down with a cold which my daughter had last week so haven't run since the weekend.
    My marathon plans are now in disaray as my planned Southampton marathon is the same weekend as a family holiday to Center Parcs. Awful planning from me - it was me who actually suggested the date and booked the bloody holiday. Total brain fart. Anyway I need to find a new marathon in April now
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Hard luck, HA. Hopefully you are right about the ice running putting different stresses on the body. I know I certainly get tighter after it - especially around the hips.
    Oh no, FBT. Do follow the famous spoons PF protocol. Get on the yoga!
    Blimey, spoons. I wouldn't have fancied anything less than 10k effort in that weather. Well done - a 24M like that will certainly pay dividends. 
    Wow, Millsy. Just another ultra! Sounds a good but tough one. The journey in itself would have done for me. 
    Great work on the MP, HPR. Easy for me to say, but don't stress overly about exact distance and a few seconds here or there. Use any races to really fine tune this. Sounds like you are in a good place at the moment. 
    Good long run session there, george.
    Blimey, TR. Serious short term mileage. Listen to the body now. 
    Jooligan - I know what you mean. I never give my school charity 5k any thought, but it always seems to follow a tough track sessions and it nearly breaks me every time!
    AWC - poor planning! Still, plenty of other marathons to choose from. How far are you willing to travel?

4/6 recovery double for me yesterday. Legs felt ok at that pace. Then, as seems to have been the case recently, they were destroyed last night and this morning. Really sore quads. Whilst there was no downhill running in Sunday's race, perhaps the flat nature is what got them, or the driving somehow. Or maybe it is the different nature of the Nikes? One of the benefits people mention is the shorter recovery times. This isn't something I have really noticed, although I am willing to put up with that for the recent race times.
    This morning was 11 with 5 at LT... with Sunday's race, I was never planning on this. So did 11M with 6 x 12s hills and 6 x 100m strides. I am guessing that Pfitzinger will add more of these in the latest marathon edition, as they are a regular in the P&L Fast Road Racing book. Good to mix it up, especially with the hills. Averaged 7:46s for the whole run, so solid enough. 
    Went back to the doctor for the follow up blood test result regarding the anaemia. He said that whilst my iron count was technically in that range, the other three relevant measures meant it wasn't something to overly worry about. His words were to eat some steak and spinach. Guess I can manage that. 
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    SQ: anywhere in the south is probably ok. The Shakespeare marathon looks good which is the same day as London. I incorporate those 6x12s hills and 6x100m strides into my plan each week as I really felt the benefit of them from the P&L plan. I think there are definitely more helpful than 10x100m which is the session I exchange them for. Those hill sprints really help my form and they just 'feel' good for my body.
  • I spectated at the Shakespeare last year. Looked a good event. And excellent for the spectator whilst childminding: starts in town centre so good for cafes etc. Finishes next to a big wheel and kids play park by the river. 
  • But I was beaten today :D by one of the lads who's been coming to my lunchtime XC/Athletics club for the past 18 months. He finally broke 20 minutes for 5K recently at a grassy parkrun & posted a 5:30 mile on the track at the back end of October. He's a canny pacer as well as he didn't come past me til 2K & then caught the leader about 500m further on. So beaten by a 13 yr old & I've now got a blister on my L heel too :s
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - that works well then with the mlr.

AWC - loads of folks seem to have colds at the mo. How about Taunton ? I'm doing Yeovil early June.

SQ - might have been the fast running on the flat, you did go fast. Could be the shoes, esp as you will only race in them too.
  • AWC - you tw@t......That's the sort of thing I would do. LOL

Any decent marathons will be sold out now. Paris marathon ? 14th April

Chichester - goodwood ? 14th April - closer to home. or 16th March coastal marathon in East Dean?

Maybe a charity place in Brighton marathon ?

My PF is calming down once more... not sure if to skip the LT run this week, or just a MLR or just short aerobic....

• Rookie error AWC.  I'm doing Newport on 5th May. Flat as a pancake.  Still open.
    Jooligan - sounds like you've got a runner on your hands there.

A bit of catch up for me after a blank few days.  5m at lunch and 11 last night.
  • Actually AWC - you could run Brighton marathon for me and get my GFA time sub 3:10 and I could sit back and relax, eating doughnuts for the next few weeks....
  • Jooligan that is surely a sign of the excellent coaching you have been giving the Y8 runner? Take it as a compliment.

Not sure I could manage 10 laps of Goodwood for a marathon FBT/AWC. Pleased to hear the PF is calming down. Perhaps restart small?

Enjoyable MLR this morning along the canal. A touch muddy in places, but nothing to worry about. I actually prefer running through this is dark as there is less decision making. Really nice to see sunrise getting earlier – found it so uplifting on the return leg. 15M at 7:04 average. Helped I think by a favourable wind outbound, and then slight downhill return. And the Adios – I do still love them.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    AWC, I did the Shakespeare one back in 2012 although it was reduced to a half due to torrential rain and flooding. I’ve always been meaning to go back and run the full race.

Managed 2x 3 mile recovery runs yesterday. Quads still a bit bashed but find it easier than my first run back after London. Also got my pencil and paper out to modify the 55-70 12 week plan to fit into the time between next Monday and VLM.  I’d forgotten how much midweek mileage there is compared to an ultra plan where the focus is on a big weekend long run. 
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the marathon suggestions guys!
    TR: Taunton is the same week as my 50 miler unfortunately.
    FBT: not sure I'll be running you GFA time anytime soon! I'm on hols on 14th April so those weekends are out including the following one.
    SQ: Shakespeare sounds like the ideal one with the family in tow
    NE: Newport is a good shout as its only c2hr drive for me.
    Back at work today but not running. Standing desk is up and working. Really strange getting used to it. I'm making loads of typing errors for some reason!
  • Congrats on the Arc 50 Millsy, 10th place is fantastic. 

Very solid MP runs HPR and George.

I usually do a couple of 24 milers in a build-up TR. I always toy with the idea of doing a full distance long run, but I usually talk myself out of it as I’m not convinced the benefits outweigh the risks. Good luck for Worthing, I’m sad I’m missing it this year.

Bad luck losing to the Y8 Jooligan. I’ve been beaten several times by a rather speedy JV14 at parkrun, but I comfort myself that I could beat him at a marathon (for now) ;)

Terrible planning AWC! I highly recommend Brighton if you can find a place. Or if you fancy a trip up north, Manchester. I know what you mean about typing standing up - I sometimes have to do it standing at a server cage, and I’m forever typing passwords in wrong.

Living up to your name SQ! I don’t recall any quad issues personally from the VF. I really need to get in the habit of more strides. Glad the blood results were ok. Great MLR too.

Glad the PF is calming down FBT, it’s so hard to know how to deal with it isn’t it.

I skipped my afternoon recovery on Monday as I was feeling pretty tired and a little like I was coming down with something. I’m glad I did, as I woke up yesterday feeling good, and had a decent easy 11 miler along the canal. Set me up nicely for a tough day including an important meeting and then the funeral of a close family friend. I was really glad to be able to get out afterwards for my afternoon recovery, a perfect head clearer and made me really appreciate being able to be out there.

Workout time this morning, 10 x 5 mins from the BAC marathon sessions. The aim was to start around MP and then get faster each rep. Average pace went 6:28, 6:27, 6:19, 6:14, 6:10, 6:08, 6:07, 6:00, 6:12, 5:54, so quite a good progression except that 9th one where the legs felt a bit flat. Recovered it for the final rep though, which was as fast as I managed last year. Average of 6:14/mi, which doesn’t compare too badly to last year when I averaged 6:05/mi for the same session. Slowly getting there.

Incidentally, I listened to a great podcast recently - “There are NO Magic Training Intensities” from the On Coaching Podcast: https://www.scienceofrunning.com/2019/01/episode-87-there-are-no-magic-training-intensities.html?v=79cba1185463. It’s always an interesting podcast, but this episode is particularly good.

• Spoons - what was the outcome from the podcast - at work so cant listen......no point in LT pace or VO2 max? Sounds interesting

I really recommend Brighton as Spoons says its one of my favourite marathons!

Just checked P&D schedule and this week and next has 3 rest days Yippee :-)

• Millsy - yes, the higher mileage P&D are lot more consistent throughout the week. I guess you find what you can work around life and go from there.

AWC I sometimes find that my watch moans at me for not standing - when I am at my standing desk/shelf! I guess it is because my wrist is stationary on the shelf. 

+1 for spoons' podcast recommendation. They are always quite wide-ranging and almost holistic in their discussions, but this was especially good and relevant I felt. Well done on a great session there - fantastic progression.
  • Thought I'd drop in to give AWC some advice on the Shakespeare Marathon. I'm not sure what your MP is but the only thing to note is that on the 2nd lap you could be running on your own. Only 5 people went sub 3 last year and that could be less this time as it clashes with London. The final 6 miles are down a disused railway track with a slight loose grit surface. Could be a bit lonely!

That said I enjoyed the half last year and its my back up option if I can't get fit enough for Manchester 

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I'd skip the LT run this week FBT & next until the PF calms down. Far more important to be running MLRs & LRs consistently at this stage. I'd also not try any MP final mile heroics in those just yet either.
    Cracking session Spoons.
    AWC I'd also recommend Newport. I cycled down to spectate for the inaugural event last year. Flat as a pancake, well organised, Hi5 gels & water, regular pockets of support en route & fantastic atmosphere at the finish but also plenty of quiet places so not overwhelming. Severn Bridge tolls are gone too so that's one less expense.
    Rapid MLR SQ!
    Basically I need to find an extra 3hrs a day to sleep according to the podcast.
  • Advice taken Jools and just did an aerobic 7m run today. might try a MLR tomorrow. but Im falling apart.

Sore ball of foot (left foot)

PF right foot (heel hurts)

pain inner lower shin.

Apart from that all good......(only really concerned with PF

I think we could all do with finding an extra 3hr sleep Jools!

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    FBT - That's a real shit. You seemed to be building nicely too.

Great session Spoon.

Listened to that podcast last night. I like them and think they've got a lot of good advice but I do think they ramble a bit and get a bit coach-centric. I'm not really interested about how they recently read some 10th century Chinese script on development of the self and how it helped them motivate their college team. I do really like what they say about getting varied stimulus - sort of like filling empty buckets with water.

Feeling a bit run down and have a bit of a sore throat at the moment, but nothing too bad. Very easy 5km at lunch today and the knee felt fine. I might try another run tonight to test it.
  • Epic performance at the weekend Millsy, sounds like great fun!

Jooligan getting taken down by a year 8.. Just as well you're not taking on the year 11's. If I did a 5km in year 8 I doubt I'd have been under 35 minutes. 

Rapid MLR SQ, like Macca you're another one of my ones to watch this year. Shame you're not on the champs as I'd fancy forming a little group for the first half if I could hang on to you. 

HA - fingers crossed for the knee. 

AWC - absolute nightmare. sounds like Shakespeare is a good option though. 

Bike session on Tuesday morning went terribly, solely due to the fact that I had a polite request from the flat downstairs to stop using it as I was waking up his pregnant wife before 6am.. I was absolutely mortified (had no idea how much noise it made) and has led to me purchasing a new one which I hope is much, much quieter. Otherwise, training might take a hit!

Been feeling slightly under the weather so just been run commuting without pushing the pace. Might try a tempo session tomorrow morning if I feel a bit better.
  • Glad the knee's behaving HA. Harking back to buckets :D
    That could be an issue JB. You could always put some additional foam under the bike as soundproofing. Otherwise your conversion to full time runner could come sooner rather than later.
    I'm a mess FBT but just got to soldier on. 15M MLR coming up :#
  • That's the spirit Jools....
  • On the sleep front, I definitely find it underpins everything else. If I sleep less, whether it be to run further in the morning, ill child etc etc, I then eat crap the next day. I then have less energy and the cycle continues. I guess its just about finding what can work for you on a practical life sense. I think HA and Reg are good at recognising when it's just not worth sacrificing sleep for a few more miles. 

To be fair to the podcast, it is 'sold' as being coach-centric rather than anything else, but I know what you mean, HA. It is no often my go to listen, but I do usually enjoy it once selected. I also enjoyed listen to Alice Wright on the Let's Get Running podcast today. I used to teach her. She is now based in the US and ran the second fastest 10000 by a Brit last year. 

Blimey, FBT. Time for some remedial work from a sport masseuse?

You never know, Joe, we might yet cross paths in London. We seemed to quite a bit last year. I'll keep my eyes peeled as I know it can be very hard to spot you there. Which turbo have you gone for? The technology has improved ridiculously since I bought one about 8 years ago.

• AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    StevieWh: thanks for the insider knowledge. Now that actually makes it more attractive given I could potentially place pretty high there - 3:03 for top 10 last year. Equally though running on your own is gonna be tough. Interesting.
    Jools: thanks, sounds good. I'm leaning towards Shakespeare mainly becuase its a week earlier and gives me an extra weeks recovery before the SDW100 at the start of June.
    FBT: thats proper bad luch having all that. Maybe I should consider being you for the day at Brighton!
    This standing desk is hard bloody work! I'm wrecked - its so hard not to lock your knees back. Which means you are in a mini squat position which engages a lot of muscles. The big bonus is that I find myself leaving my desk and walking more often because there is no effort to have to get up to do that.
  • I might be preaching to the converted here but if you are interested in the subject of sleep, please read 'Why We Sleep' by Matthew Walker. Very readable and will absolutely change how you view your habits.

Having a tough time fitting in my runs at the minute as work is v busy. 5 x 1k went ok yesterday hitting 3.36 average. Warm up and longer warm down brought it up to 8 miles total

Rest day today because of no spare time and then planning a big 15 mile MLR tomorrow evening, which I am absolutely dreading if I'm honest as probably won't finish until gone 10pm (definitely past my bedtime!)
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Nice MLR SQ,, are your legs back to normal now?

Spoons - well done on the BAC session,  after worthing i need to do a few sessions. I did a 26.5m run one campaign, dont think it did me any good  i think 3hrs is a sensible limit now. My 23m took me a few seconds over last week, 24 would be me over 3hrs. I think ill try for 24 around 6 weeks out and assess it at 23m.

HA - hope the knee continues healing

Joe - you are a good neighbour. Do quiet turbos exist. Mine is in the garage and is still noisy, but its 10 yrs old now. Like SQ says i bet you can get dome great equipment nowadays, id get a wattbike and a C2 rower if i had the dosh and room.

5m real easy for me this morning.
  • Jack Daniels reckons 2:30 tops for a LR or 25% of weekly mileage whichever is least.
    Pretty sure it was McMillan who said the LR could be up to 3:30 for a 3hr marathoner.
    As the podcast Spoons shared points out there is no "one-size fits all" approach though so we each have to find what works for us & keep varying it to maximise the stimulus.
    15M on the Forest trails tonight. Bit slower than my canal MLRs but a helluva lot hillier.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well done on another mlr jools, all money in the bank. I have to get a shove on to get 20m done in 2hr 30min !
  • RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Quick check-in before I lose any more sleep!

Hope you PF improves FBT. Sounds like you know how to deal with it.

TR - my marathon PB is 2:59:45! And my second best is 3:07. My VLM course record is 3:15 so I guess there is my A, B and C target!

Great MP run HPR and well toughed out on that 24 at the weekend Spoons.

Speedy MLR there SQ!

Easy 10 for me yesterday with some pathetic attempts at strides on weary legs. Much better 14 miler today. When the 7:10 miles come fairly easily I am happy and so nice to run on a dry trail.
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Joe - Hope you can sort the noise issue. That's a real pain, hope you can find a good solution. That run commute is going well. If you keep that up, with a long run and one session you'll be smashing by the end of April.

SQ - Agree about the sleep helping overall motivation and when I'm motivated I run better, eat better, do my exercises and generally make better decisions. 

Nice MLRs Ramjet and Jools. Quietly plugging away, getting it all done Ramjet.

My standard long runs are about 2:20, for about 20 miles. I can't think I'll go over 2:30, my tendency is to run them faster if I'm feeling good. Maybe a longer one might help but I enjoy those faster long runs. 

Got out for a second run last night, 8.5 miles steady (av ~6:20/mile) with a bit of a fast finish. Felt good. I was feeling something in the knee but I'm not sure if I was just paranoid and hyperaware, it was only very mild and certainly didn't feel the same as last week. It's pulled up good this morning so I'll get out for a short one today and if it still feels good I'll try to get in a long one tomorrow.