Wednesday 6th February 2019-It's only been an hour since he locked her in the tower

Morning

Lyrics:It's only been an hour since he locked her in the tower

Alex: I hope your new shoes arrives today along with all your new snazzy kit:-)

LMH: But it is not a big race and on coastal path that is why I was dithering over it but it is local to me so no travelling costs etc.

What: Running
Why: Because I can
Last hard: Ice last week
Last rest 2/2

Yesterday's lyrics were Hotel California by The Eagles

Back later
ALF: Always a little further
Miles makes smiles.
Progression

Comments

• Morning.

It sounded like a big race Poppy! Expensive for a local half then I agree.

Hope your shoes arrive Alex. I should probably replace at least one pair of mine - must start to look out for some deals.

It feels as though we should be further through the week than Wednesday. Weather is forecast to deteriorate after today, wet and windy due this time so I need to get my log run in if possible. We had a lot of rain go through last night so no idea what conditions are going to be like and I am still tired despite a better couple of nights.

What:            hopefully a LSR
    Why:             81 days
    Last hard:     regaining my va va voom
    Last rest:      27/1

Lyrics - not today.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Hiya
    Poppy - I'm in the Great Welsh marathon! I'm surprised the Half is £40, the marathon is £43 which admittedly is nearer the top end but by no means unusual for that distance.
    Weather in London/South is almost balmy, regretted wearing the heavier coat today. Even training last night in drizzly rain was mild.
    What - Easy lunchtime, coaching village mara group tonight
    Why - recovery & routine. 5 mile LTP last night. Had low expectations not helped by a poorly tummy all day (not enough cake ??). In the end not a total disaster: forgot to start the watch so the first half mile unmeasured, but the rest averaged ~7:05. 9 in total counting w/u & c/d
    Last Hard - yesterday
    Last Rest - 16 days 
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    morning all
    LMH hope you get out for a nice LSR, weather is better?
    Dustin enjoy your lunch run and coaching the mara group
    poppy, not sure I know today's lyrics, enjoy the running
    alex, hope you get your new shoes.  Interesting comment about my heart rate, I hadn't even noticed it! What really shocks me is how fast it was at the start, I feel a bit worried it isn't usually so high! I just checked on my fitbit for that run and it didn't register anything near 194!
    Curious
    What: rest day so just over a mile
    why: getting my messy hair done later
    last hard: this morning
    last rest: 31/12/16
    have a good day all
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Morning!

Lyrics: no

I was going to comment on your heart rate, Wabo: interesting figures for the first two easy miles yesterday! 

What: a run of some description shortly

Why: will run to feel. May or may not throw in a couple of harder sections in, or a few hills. Weather seems reasonable; is it only a week ago that there was a complete white-out and I couldn't stand up crossing the road? Seems like a different world! Dry and still, unlike yesterday evening when I got rather wet.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    I think I will monitor that heart rate!!!
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    heart rate on park run saturday, no warm up
    1) 1m - 9:31(9:31/m) 121/130bpm 64cal 6.3/0mph
    2) 1m - 9:07(9:07/m) 128/148bpm 63cal 6.59/0mph
    3) 1m - 9:12(9:12/m) 138/153bpm 74cal 6.52/0mph
    4) 0.1m - 49(8:03/m) 153/158bpm 7cal 7.46/0mph

All those fast readings seems to be on slower paced runs, I've just looked
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    enjoy your run alehouse
  • alex_halex_h ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Morning all,

LMH - There's always a deal somewhere. Got my new shoes 50% off but was a one day sale on Realbuzz. 
    Poppy - It's that balance isn't it? Convenience versus price. My view is that if it is an event that runs seamlessly and is really good, then you can't put a price on it. I will never forget the bottleneck at the end of the Edinburgh Marathon where we were all stood around for ages after finishing. So, if you think it will be good and you don't need to worry about logistics then it may be worth a punt.
    Wabo - yep, those first 2 miles struck me! What HRM are you using? I found my old Forerunner 205 HRM much more accurate (stable and less volatile) than the strap that came with my 910XT.
    Dustin - enjoy your run later...don't forget the cake. Actually I will eat it for you if you like!
    Alehouse - Enjoy your run too!

What: TKD later - no run
    Why: Project Black Belt 2020 and being careful to not rush back into anything.
    Last hard: Motivating myself to do flexibility yesterday
    Last rest: Sunday

Other "last hard" was finding out that I can actually swim for free at my local leisure centre and I've been paying aqua membership since 2015. Grrr...

Lyrics: Not coming to me at the moment!
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    alex, its built in to my garmin forerunner 35, my fitbit which I also use has nowhere near as high a reading for the same runs.  Glad your new shoes arrived! enjoy the tkd
  • Morning again!

What: 5.4k including 2 x 90 seconds hard with 1 min recovery, off road

Why: last week's delayed introduction to quicker running. Used to use this section of a gravel path and didn't realise that it was quite so undulating. Was quite pleased especially when an elderly dog walker (i.e. about my age) shouted that I was shifting! Then I realised that I will be wanting to run the whole of a 5k at a similar pace in the summer! Will be interesting to see how the Achilles and calf feel in the morning. And the rest of me. Will be an easy day tomorrow. 

And talking of the elderly, now going to a bus station to apply for my bus pass which I will be eligible for a month today. 

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭

WABO - is the HRM working ok ?

Alex - URL for blog is the same, I'm still a sporadic blogger and its usually about sport. Some great pictures and video links

What: easy rollers d&d - jog gym and sauna PM

Why: last night was HARD

Last hard: Last night - maybe of interest for Dustin - recovery was a jog 200 metres of about 68 seconds, it was not stressed so really surprised when I checked and they were all 67-70 seconds. Session was as follows

200 400 200 600 200 400 200 600 200 400 200

target pace was 40 seconds per 200 no matter what rep and everything was inside pace by a couple of seconds except the 600s 2.02 and 2.00 , track was busy :¬)

Last rest: 31st October

Lyrics: feel I should but I really didn't know yesterdays

Some good news for me is that the real bad winter weight is gone and although it will rise again I am the lightest I have been this year and my trending graph is showing downwards. Target weight is needed by April 7th so hoping that giving myself a lot of time will make it easier to keep off for the summer period. This does not mean hit target and stay but instead target then relax then target without having to work too hard.

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Gobi, I think I will make the watch a bit more snug on the wrist tomorrow and see what occurs, that is the only thing I can think of? When I wear it sitting at my desk, the reading is exactly the same as the fitbit.  So maybe when I run if I am wearing it too loose it shifts about. I can't say I feel like my heart is going bonkers when I run. 
    Great news with the weight!
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭

Hiya Wabo

I have a Fenix 5 - it is fine if I am sat at my desk, okay on the static bike, sometimes ok if I go for an easy run.

Totally crap if I do anything that involves hard movement and rapid changes of effort.

When speaking to a reseller in a shop in Amsterdam even he said that although they pushed optical as it was what people wanted(no strap) he had a strap for all intervals/speedwork

• Enjoy your new kit Alex.  Nice colours and go faster stripes involved?

Great progression run yesterday Wabo.  Good news the stich is sorted.  Enjoy your trip to the hairdressers.  My optical HRM (TomTom Runner3) often shows very high rates for the first couple of miles and then settles down to what I might expect for the run I'm doing.

Not so good news from you emzap.

I would consider the HM if you have no travelling / accomodation costs WP.  Coastal path sounds nice too.

Hope you can slot in a long run LMH.

Nice tempo run Dustin especially if your tum wasn't too happy during the day.

Doing some harder stuff sounds like progress Ale. 

Tough session Gobi.  Well done on the weight.

What: Recovery later
    Why: Speed work planned for tomorrow
    Last rest: 1.2.

Lyrics: no
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Great feedback thanks Gobi. I do have straps at home I might give one a try. 
    Thanks Hazel. It does seem to be the early part of a run. I have to be honest a few times lately i've been looking at those stats and being a bit concerned!!
  • I can't get an accurate reading from an optical HRM Wabo. If your HR is settling with prolonged exercise I wouldn't be too concerned.

Well done with the weight loss Gobi.

Much better conditions here today too Alehouse. Sounds as though you enjoyed your run.

I always had the time today Hazel - it was a question of whether I had the head and legs.

That would wind me up too Alex - any chance of a refund?
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    nice session Gobi

Not having to really worry about race costs at present as only doing up to 10ks, but some of those are now hitting £20....

Last mroning in work today, all IT and phone handed in, now free.....

So lunch time interval session of 7 x 450m off 150 m rec (600m square nearby in a park) range from 1:57 fown to 1:51, so happy as still overweight.....

Off to see the Kaiser Chiefs tonight..... :-)

Take care
  • Wabo: optical HRMs are pants.  like Gobi I have a Fenix 5 (S in my case) and if i want accurate data I use the HRM run strap. The optical only works when I sit still :) I blame my skinny wrists - insufficient contact area :)

Yay to freedom, RFJ. Have you something new lined up?

Nice LT pace, Dustin.

And superfast reps, Gobi

Enjoy the recovery, Hazel. Speedwork for me too, tomorrow :#

Sounds like you had a good run LMH.

Good to see you putting in some faster stuff, Ale.

Emzap: hope your foot improves

What: 11 and a bit miles
    Why: starting to feel stronger. Still slow but i think this post-viral nonsense is coming n to an end
    Last hard: sleeping
    Last rest: 23/1
    Lyrics: i think so - didn't we have them recently?
  • Afternoon!

Glad that job has finished, RFJ! Should soon get a bit more normality into your life! When does the next one start? And a decent session.

Meant to say, hope you are ok today, Emz!

Run was fine, LMH, but cooler than I thought and ended up keeping my jacket on (6 degrees). Still ice in places. Best bit was not the quicker bits but seeing younger son on his horse. And quite a gathering of parakeets. Hope you managed a decent long run. 

Bus pass duly applied for! 
  • Kaiser Chiefs are great RFJ - I'm jealous.

I wouldn't say that chicksta. I managed to complete the miles I wanted to and wasn't as slow as I have been on some of my runs recently is about as fa as I can go. Glad you're feeling better.

I found it chillier than I was expecting too Alehouse. Forecast to get windy and wet for the next few days  :(
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Afternoon
    What: 3.5 km walked
    Why: needed to do some errands.
    Last hard: the ache (though I don't think it's getting worse, I just don't want to make it worse by trying a run too quickly).
    Lyrics: nope

Have a lovely day all and RFJ yay!