Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Bus, yes, it can be a fine line between too much or too little clothing. Luckily for us, experience has taught us where that line (usually) is. Btw, decent session of yours.

Now that I appear to have sorted out the psoas issue (had it ages without realising) I hope to be able to ramp the pace up myself. The run yesterday felt different for all reasons that are good.

As for getting into skirmishes near home SG. The expression, 'Don't shit on your own doorstep' comes to mind.

Training going well right now. Some of it is running. Today was hills on the bike. Seems I've sped up 5% in about ten days. Progress!

🙂

• RicF said:
    As for getting into skirmishes near home SG. The expression, 'Don't shit on your own doorstep' comes to mind.
    Thankfully my patch is quite large and routes and times are varied. The only one I repeat with any regularity is the run to and back from Wycombe parkrun so I do see the same people walking up Marlow Hill as I run down it and then the same dog walkers in Deangarden Wood on the way back. 

I wouldn't say I get involved in many skirmishes, most of it is verbal, but some dog owners do seem to feel that their pets can do no wrong and they need to be aware that their actions are anti-social. It particularly peeves me when they say "Sorry" as an instant reaction but do not mean it and I do question them as to what they mean.

I like watching odd videos on youtube and particularly like People Are Awesome vs. FailArmy but have just noticed that running does not seem to get flagged as awesome. I'd totally say that Sally Pearson hurdling is awesome and there are definite examples of hurdling failures.

• Joe - You could try this for the turbo https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-trainer-mat/ Should help dampen some of the vibration. I got one for my brother for Christmas and it seems decent.

Found out yesterday that I have a got a place in Ride London. Typical as its around the 5th time I've entered the ballot, its 8 weeks out from Berlin though so I think I'll defer to 2020

• Nice session Bus, decent paces there. Don't blame you for not doing a full 6M tempo, that wouldn't have been too appealing to me. 

Turbo update - have ordered a new one (the old one was pretty dated to be fair), and agreed to do a 'noise test' with the neighbour when it arrives. Fingers crossed. Stevie - I'm also in for Ride London, found out yesterday. Will check the mat out. 

Now then, an actual session, that actually went alright, to report on. 

Been feeling a bit sicky last couple of days so mentally was already ready to bin it off when I woke up and heard some wind blowing this morning. Decided to run the 3 miles to the park, and I could always jog around if things weren't happening. Felt absolutely horrendous on the way, dead legs and zero motivation. 

Running always continues to surprise me, as once I got going, I felt the best I had in ages. Light and springy, enjoying a bit of faster running. 3 x 1 lap of Battersea Park which is about 1.75 miles, with 2 mins recovery. 

Paces were 6mm, 5:55mm and 5:52mm. Felt totally in control, pushing a bit harder on the last one, but certainly not flat out. I'm not there yet, but things are moving in the right direction. Total run with WU and CD was 13 miles @ 6:50mm, and that's 50 miles for the week already. Will make sure not to get overexcited.. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Jo, your sandbagging blaggery was fooling no-one, and a mix of the 2 runs you mention in the above shows you're going great guns.

I'll get up to 45 with lunchtime's run, so 50 by the morn is a hell of a shift.

I think you're in for at least something rivalling last year. I dare say if you shoot off at last year's paces I won't see you!
  • Yes decent session that Joe - Should see you Saturday, i'll give you a shout, it's nice to watch the 2nd division race first, been a really good idea putting them on before.

Popped over the canal before work - just did 12 x 30 secs or so. Nice to get some speed up on firm ground...will be all the way after Saturday, last xc for this season - no national or intercounties.

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019

I like watching odd videos on youtube and particularly like People Are Awesome vs. FailArmy but have just noticed that running does not seem to get flagged as awesome. I'd totally say that Sally Pearson hurdling is awesome and there are definite examples of hurdling failures.

Female hurdlers are just sprinters, those barriers are the same ones junior boys use. Women's hurdles should be increased in height. It's an insult to women, these are based on the days when they didn't think a woman could run a marathon. It would probably help Sally Pearson, being one of the more technically gifted hurdlers.

To appreciate running you need context, often it's just a clock and you can't really tell how fast they are going. Hence it's never going to be an internet sensation, besides those 'people are awesome' videos are more about everyday people capturing feats that you don't normally see on telly.

Nice session there from the RW Forum chief sandbagger. I did another turbo session today. I had the music and fan so loud it would have brought Joe's neighbour round with a baseball bat. Mind you it was at 11am not 5am.

Still some niggling pain in the ankle, I am thinking Friday, maybe Saturdy I may have a chance of running.
  • Reg Wand said:

Female hurdlers are just sprinters, those barriers are the same ones junior boys use. Women's hurdles should be increased in height. It's an insult to women, these are based on the days when they didn't think a woman could run a marathon. It would probably help Sally Pearson, being one of the more technically gifted hurdlers.

Interesting that a lot of these male/female differences have not attracted the same attention as other inequalities. The hurdles are lower and the race shorter (100m vs 110m) and also the field events have lighter implements. Personally, I think if you are having separate races for men and women then it makes no sense to insist the events exactly match up: you want the event to produce a good competition that makes competitors and watchers happy. While some women may be able to put a 7.26 kg shot, most would be much happier with the 4 kg one. 
  • I think it's a reappraisal that's required.

In the shot 4kg, which is the adult women's weight, is also the weight for U15 boys; U15 girls put a 3kg shot. You don't need to be a genius to realise somethings wrong. Men use 7.26kg. Interestingly for masters it starts coming down in weight again! 70+men use 5kg, 70 year old men using a shot that's 25 % heavier than the female olympic champion.

I am not so bothered about the throws as it's still a level playing field but in the hurdles it doesn't reward the most proficient hurdlers enough. I guess the shorter distance is more to do with the spacing of the barriers.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Don't worry Reg, in a reasonably short time, there won't be different genders, humans will all be a homogenised mass.

However, there will be different categories , likes orcs, elves and fairies.

Or have I been watching Bright with Will Smith...

• 'Fairies' is a bit homophobic SG ;)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

call em the other name in the film then, "sparks".

I think. I struggle to concentrate for a full film. It interrupts my po10 bothering.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    I bet not many guys would give an Olympic women shot putter some lip. Imagine getting punched in the face by such a gal!  :o

🙂

• I once saw a physio who was a former shot putter. She politely told me I had a body for running, and 'tested' my glutes. My problem was in my calf, but after what Ric just said, I'm glad I didn't quibble.

I've been back running for the past week. All easy stuff. The ribs are still killing me. though mainly when at rest; they don't feel too bad when running/vertical, but can see the arm on the busted side is not swinging too freely. Headaches have mostly gone and my black eye has faded away leaving me looking a little jaundiced. I remain hopeful of racing a half in the near future and getting on with the bulk of the marathon training.

Fingers crossed for the foot, Reg.

• PMJ - I listen to the 'Lets get running' podcast by Shaun Dixon & Jermain Mays - the last but one was a big interview with that ultra runner who did the spine, 268 mile job.

She was much of the opinion that the Ultra is the distance where women are probably better (or may end up better) than men - definitely in actually 'completing' apparently- numbers wise.

• The number of entrants, from a statistical point of view in ultras is probably not enough to make any such claims. There are a number of reasons that may influence completion statistics. I have a theory that a woman is much more likely to only enter an ultra if she is very well prepared. Men are bigger risk takers and so you'll always get more ill-prepared men, propotionately and in ultra distance this will outweight any natural physical advantage.
    Glad your back running Muddy, maybe the fall is just a cover for your shot-putting physio beating you up.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I thought it was proven that the further the distance, the more men's advantage went down. Irrespective of number stats - that may well be skewed by your valid bits above Reginald

There's always free jumping from planes though. Apparently, it's equal in that!

Right, after Tuesday's big mileage tempo, I checked what the back in the day rep session was the same week, and was pleased to see it was an 8x300m at 1500pace off 300m jog.

Perfect, just the light but fast ticket for a Friday morn.

Windy and rainy warmup, but moderate for both during.

2x54,4x55,2x56, so a 55 average.

Did faster the last time I did this sesh, 6 or so years back, but in fairness, I expect the conditions were spot on, and it was after the summer period, rather than a bit windy, in a 70mile week, in Feb (plus 6 years older!), so it makes sense.

The track boys would laugh that I put a cone and a hi vis top to mark the "100m" point (or where I think it is!) in between the start and 200m points, as with the 300m jog part you could probably ruck things up royally versus the more standard version with a set recovery, starting at the same place each rep :)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Muddy, shows what a heck of a fall you had for it to still hurt this far on. At least you're ticking over fairly nicely again. We do take it all for granted.
  • Glad to hear you are on the mend Muddy - sounds like its been pretty unpleasant to say the least!

Nice session SG. Any specific reason for 300m? Andy Rolt always gets me on Strava - he does some really weirdly specific rep distances even though he is on a track. 

Women ultra runners - it's just that women know how to suffer. Not talking child birth here, just that many of them live with us men :smiley:

Day off (work) today. I was going to do a double, but typically for a day off CBA - weather's not helping! So, maybe a lunchtime medium run.  I'm also thinking of doing a pacy half on Sunday instead of off-road, but this is hampered somewhat by the need to drive somewhere to avoid multiple hills....
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Bus - probably - but to be honest just one Moz gave me years ago, and as it was the same week as Tuesday's sesh, thought i'd go for the pair :)

I think it's a nice rare distance rep, and with the 300m jog ( or if honest, 50m walk, then 250m jog ;) ), it's a sort of active recovery rather than stop still like for summer stuff.

It's a sort of an upsetting distance, as you're usually so used to 200/400s, and it feels like a long 200 rather than a short 400!
    It's like when people do 500s, I'm like, oh. odd, but I suppose it's ideal for shaking you out of the usual routine.

We'll get Wokingham done, then I look forward to the 12 stage relays with the gang in March, a good splash at a lot of 5ks spring onwards, and the Endure 24 in June :)
    5ks wise I loved last year, you can do quite a few at that distance, and although people say is it worth a long drive for so short a distance, I think the opposite - it's perfect, as you're not going to be ruined and end up not able to drive back, or get into trouble!

5k wise, I fancy a few Battersea Park turnouts, Gosport again (although Endure has unfortunately rucked the Gosport mile/5k double :( - perhaps might sub in the Eastbourne/Kent versions - all from "Nice Work" events -they do tonnes all over the place,  check them out!), some of the summer series races, and a northern 5k I dare say.

Probably the Murder mile / Penalta parkrun combo again
    (@jooligan, think you said you fancied the mile, anyone else? @JoeBloggs, how about a little trip for you and the missus?)

I noticed that the Mid Cheshire 5k, one of the fast northern 5ks is a Friday night, with at the moment, United playing on the Saturday... pencilled in..could be possible..

Also noticed a Podium 5k in March at 7pm, with an Old Trafford game the same day at 3pm.

On paper that's doable, but it's probably preferable to have the game watching part after the racing...

Just keeping an eye open really, if I can maximise the long drives and do 2 (or 3 last summer!) things into the bargin, all the better.

(ED - calm it down son, can tell you're a leeetle hyped post session)

Bus ps - classic scenario of the day off isn't it! If it's a working day, and you know you have a set window, you can always get out.
    If you have the day off it's tough to force yourself up at 6, and out for 7 still, and if you do, most likely the day will become a sleeping off write off :)
  • Nice session SG. Sounds like the schedule is building by the minute. Not sure about that murder mile jobby, sounds absolutely brutal. 

Also unsure about my plans for Wokingham. In my head, Reading was always the target race with Wokey just a session on the road to it. Tempted to run it as a progressive, still sneaking under 1:20 but will make a decision nearer the time. Certainly not tapering for it. 

Muddy, glad to hear you're back out there, hope the pain subsides sooner rather than later. 

Since I can't turbo until the new one is set up, headed to the gym to use a wattbike for my bike session this morning, 4 x 10 minute intervals. Ran to work as per, but giving myself a break and not running home.

Been a fairly hefty week with 63 miles so far + 2 swims and 2 bikes, so can't exactly see XC going well tomorrow. Will give it a blast, but not sure how the legs are going to react. Will look out for you Simon.
  • Great session SG - I'm considering the Mid Cheshire 5k as I finish at 2 on a Friday and it would just be straight up the M6 from there. Will depend on how I recover from Manchester though, I'm expecting to have to dig pretty deep.

Glad you are getting back to it Muddy

I am also building back up. Just short 25-30 min runs so far but having no problems. Going to do a small session of 4 x 3mins at tempo on Sunday to see how it feels at pace, then look at increasing the volume again.

• Oh what I'd give for an ounce of your robustness, Joe.
  • Reg - I appreciate that it's extremely unfair, and that I'm very lucky that I seem to be built like an ox. I've realised that, and figured I need to stop moaning and start logging the hard yards. Might help substitute for my complete lack of natural talent. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Don't underestimate the age difference there Reg. 13-15 years or so is it?
    I see it at our club. Guys in their late 20s doing back to back sessions flat out, or doing a marathon and back into racing short stuff a week later :o

I'll always remember Moz saying "remember your age", when doing the Sandhurst club track night, which was about 2012, so a mere 31 or so!
    I also remember him wishing me a happy bday when turning 30, saying "enjoy your early 30s, late 30s are a nightmare" :D

Alright mid/late 30s so far, and in fairness, he was trying to smash the MD stuff, which I can imagine is a world of pain as you get older. Although our two boys on here would laugh in the face of that, half a decade older!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    ps Joe, you really are trying to steal my thread sandbagger title. I gave it the sub 1hr 20 job last year, and now you've gone from that, to "progressive" :D:D
    Although I remember Phil went in with an even more humble aim, and utterly blew the doors of his aim :)

In fairness I'll set off and try and bank sub 6 each mile and see where that gets me.
    If you're in and around, (Reggie too), we could form a thread train ;)

It's about now I start thinking, yeah a 2nd half might be fun..see if i can improve on the first one. But usually, reality kicks in (often about 2 miles into the first one) that one is plenty!

SW - if it comes off, i'll see you there!
  • I'm just hoping get round under two hours at Wokey :smile:

• Simon Coombes 2Simon Coombes 2 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019

All these bloody fast races up north - Trafford, Podium, Mid Cheshire - alright for some eh ;)

Glad to hear its getting a little better Muddy - still sounds annoying though. I'll give you a shout Joe! I thought I'd taper a little for the xc just to make sure we don't get dragged into a relegation fight!

SG - Decent session, can't wait to get back to speed again in the build up to Poland, enjoyed the 12 x 200m yesterday on the canal. Fancy the MK 5,000 night this year? Sat 27th July. I'll probably give it another go.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Track 5ks must be a world of pain...  Would probably go in knowing say 1.22 laps is my sub 17, and end up putting a 1.14 first lap in despite thinking i was "easing" in ;)

At least these NW races are full distance now. Remember the world of pain when about 5 or 6 big races up there were all called short? Gutting stuff! Especially the marathon! (Manchester?)
  • How about I get back to running before we start planning a thread train with me in it :D I think last year I was just acting as a pacemaker for the first 10k!