2019 in 2019

Comments

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    After a couple of weeks or so with reduced running due to injury, it seems to have got much better over the weekend so I'm back running more normally now.

230 miles done, so 1789 to go.  The French Revolution (1789–1799) begins with the storming of the Bastille.
  • Almost 227k d&d, so 1792 to go. 

In 1792 The House of Commons agreed to "gradually" reduce the slave trade. You may have noted from last week's post that it wasn't until 1833 that the legislation was actually put in place, and even then the ban was to be introduced "gradually". 

In other news, Henry Walton Smith and his wife Anne established a newsagent's business in London, later becoming W H Smith.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • 228 miles so 1791 to go

In 1791
    the new United States ratifies the bill of rights with the first ten amendments confirming the rights of US citizens

Also the French Revolution was in full swing, thanks Big G

• TTTT ✭✭✭
    53 km, a perfect week running wise which is amazing given the work week. Just shows how much can be done when I plan my runs into my diary.

1719 Principality of Liechtenstein established. Robinson Crusoe published. 
  • Going well, TT!

258k completed so 1761 to go. About 15k behind where I would like to be, but that's fine!

1761 saw the opening of the Bridgewater Canal in the Manchester area, and there is now a 1761 restaurant and a 1761 gin.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    287 miles done so 1732 to go.  Just about on target, so far!

The original Theatre Royal, Covent Garden, London (the modern–day Royal Opera House) is opened.  Also, George Washington, America's first president, was born.
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Thanks alehouse, most of this week was spent running in London, very busy! Did manage a quick visit to Daniel Defoe's grave in conjunction with last week's facts.

55km, so 1664 to go ......

1664 Jupiter's great red spot discovered and (might be more interesting) Kronenbourg Brewery established. 
  • And a bit of a slow down for me over the past week. Illness and a planned cut back week. 

282k completed, so 1737 to go. 

In 1737 Benjamin Franklin found the Pennsylvania Police Force, the first paid city force in the world.
  • Not been good at filling this in but running going reasonably well.

358 miles done so far, 1661 miles to go.

In 1661 the body of Oliver Cromwell was exhumed and subjected to a post-mortem execution following the return of the Royalists to power.
  • 315 miles done, 1704 to go.

In 1704
    Daniel Defoe, the author of Robinson Crusoe, documents the Great Storm of 1703
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Morning, well it is here! Just done the long run to complete the week. 62km so pleased. Hard to comprehend it is March already. 

1602 to go.

1602 first known production of Twelfth Night and the Bodleian library opened. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I haven't had the greatest week or two in terms of mileage, partly as Malta Marathon got cancelled (which was the right decision) due to the very, very bad weather they had.

I'm currently at 336 miles, so I've 1683 miles to go.

In 1683, the Battle of Vienna took place, after the imperial city had been besieged by the Ottoman Empire for two months.  The battle marked the first time the Commonwealth and the Holy Roman Empire had cooperated militarily against the Ottomans, and it is often seen as a turning point in history.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Last week was better than the week before, in that I got about 50 miles in.  It included a new (for me) parkrun location, and a marathon on the Sunday.

I'm currently at 385 miles, so there are 1633 left.

St Paul's Church, Covent Garden, opened in 1633.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Good progress, Big G: you are about on track!

Not so great here: 3 weeks of illness that 3 lots of steroids hasn't quite shifted. Only at 310k, so 1709 to go. 

1709 saw the coldest winter on record in Europe with the Atlantic freezing of the coast of France and The Seine freezing over in Paris; 24,000 Parisians lost their lives. 
  • 391 miles done with 1628 to go

In 1628
    Oliver Cromwell makes his first appearance in Parliament as MP for Huntingdon
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Today is day 73, and therefore 20% of the year has passed. If on track 403.8 k or miles should have been completed.

Only up to 308 here, so 1701 to go. 

In 1701 Jethro Tull, the English Agriculturist, invents a drill for planting seeds in rows. I am sure I am not the only one who thought Jethro Tull was a band.
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Thanks alehouse, I am on track with the km. 1527 to go. I definitely thought Jethro Tull was a band.

1527 the Sack of Rome.
  • 407 miles done so 1612 to go

In 1612
    Galileo becomes the first astronomer to observe the planet Neptune

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    339k completed, so 1680 to go.

Did you know that typically a bath measures 1680mm?
  • I didn't alehouse!

436 miles done, 1583 to go

In 1583
    Sir Humphrey Gilbert claims the island of Newfoundland on behalf of England marking the start of the British Empire

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I've ground to a halt a little bit, as life took over with a house move.  I managed just 3-miles last week, which keeping in mind I wasn't injured or ill, isn't great!  But I went out and did 7.5 miles this morning and hoping to get a few more in this week, including a hilly half on Sunday.

(I edited the below as I made an error with my totals!).
    I'm therefore currently on 396 miles, so I've got 1623 miles to go.

1623 - The word "insomnia" was first put in the dictionary.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I had a better week last week, with a 60 mile week and a gentle 3-mile recovery run this morning.  I'm currently on 452 miles, so there are 1567 miles to go.

In 1567, Mary, Queen of Scots, was imprisoned at Loch Leven Castle following her surrender to the Protestant nobles at the Battle of Carberry Hill.  Later in 1567 she was forced to abdicate.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Well done, BigG! Some progress here, also, at last.

372k completed, so 1647 left. 

1647 was a significant year in England. In January the Scots, who had been holding Charles 1 captive, sold him to Cromwell and his team for £40,000, which the Scots used to pay their army. Not an insignificant sum. Folk dancing and bear-baiting were banned in March, and then Cromwell's New Model army imprisoned Charles in Newmarket in June, the same time that their political wing, i.e. The Long Parliament, banned Christmas, Easter and Whitsun, although they did declare a monthly secular one day holiday. Later in the year saw the Canterbury riots over the banning of Christmas; meanwhile Charles had attempted to escape and was transferred to Carisbrooke Castle on the Isle of Wight, shortly after seeing his children for the last time. Turbulent times: probably more so than Brexit!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    My consistency is all over the place, which is never good!  I've done 475 miles, so 1544 to go.

1544 saw the first published illustration of the camera obscure, which registered the solar eclipse of 24 January 1544.  The drawing was by the 16th century Dutch scientist, Rainer Gemma-Frisius.
  • Starting to heat up here, was 31 for this mornings run. 495 miles done with 1524 to go

In 1524
    Granada, Nicaragua is founded. It's the oldest Hispanic city in the Western Hemisphere 

• TTTT ✭✭✭
    A slow return to running this week with just 22 km. Did cycle 500 km between Bangkok and Saigon over the two weeks off but I know that does not count! Like BigG I need some consistency. 

1505, Bermuda discovered. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    TT - cycling from Bangkok to Saigon?!!?  Sounds interesting!  Any stories from on the roads there?

522 miles done, including a go at Rotterdam Marathon on Sunday, so 1497 to go.

Vasco da Gama was a Portuguese explorer and the first European to reach India by sea.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    So, yesterday was day 100 and by now, if on a linear track, either 553 km or miles should have been completed, so 1466 to go. 

Falling behind here! However all is not lost: 445 completed, so 1574 km to go. In 1574 Longleat House was completed. It was not a safari park at the time!
  • Falling behind as well!

529 miles completed so 1490 to go

the 1490 is a classic Dr Martens 10 eye boot, was a big thing in my youth

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I'm behind too - plus I've picked up an injury to it's looking likely I'll be falling further behind :( I've only done 3-miles this week so far!