Tuesday 12th February 2019 - Well, it's time to start the show

Morning.

Lyrics - Well, it's time to start the show

It was a MLR on Sunday Alehouse but just a short and easy Saturday and again today as work stops play. Chilly here this morning.

SC has been missing a long while now. I think it was half term for Donaldo last week or maybe this?

What:          short and easy
Why:           work stops play
Last hard:   staying well (permanently tired with a sore throat)
Last rest:    27/1
If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• Morning!

Lyrics: no

Yesterday's lyrics were The Housemartins with Happy Hour:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfDoPEN7n5k

What: short and easy plus long Pilates

Why: yesterday was long/trying to keep my Pilates work going. Hope it is doing me some good!

Very grey and dull here.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Morning all
    What - club night, mara group, either LTP (18 minutes, 4 easy, 16 minutes) or 5 x 1 mile at 10k pace
    Why - Marathon season
    last rest - 22 days
    last hard - Weekend xc/LSR double
    lyric - possibly

• Hope your OH had some positive news about his foot Wabo.  Good 2 hour run.  Shame about your foot issues.  I remember reading about a top Swiss duathlete with Morton's and she had a very painful toe rather than a dead foot.  She had to have an OP to remove the offending nerve.

WP that is a short lifespan for a torch.  Hope you are feeling better today.

Great your kit has arrived Alex.  Enjoy.  Well done one the weight loss and good luck with the water drinking (hard to do I find).

Well done on your long run LMH.

Chicksta, I try at least to skate rather than do classic XC skiing - could really do with a few lessons though as my technique is pretty bad.  I am slow on those skis in particular when trying to ascend anything bigger than a molehill.  Do enjoy it though.  I go a couple of times a year.
    wP, wabo: falling over on XC skis is generally less of an issue than on downhill ones.  It is possible to get hurt but is less likely.  For me just a sore butt muscle (I bounced a bit..) and a dented pride.

Good advice from Ale regarding starting to run emzap.  If you need to limp to run then don't.

Tough session to look forward to that Dustin.

What: out with the group, easy or harder depending on who turns up.  My easy run yesterday was a bit more enthusiastic than planned pacewise.
    Why: Tuesday
    Last rest: runningwise 8/2
    Lyric: no
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Morning all
    lyrics no
    All good with OH toe, doc very happy, lucky lucky man!
    Hazel enjoy the group run, hope not too hard - glad no bad damage after fall!
    dustin, enjoy the evening session
    alehouse enjoy short and easy and especially pilates.  Doing my tai chi as much as possible nowadays - 2 days on the trot at the moment
    LMH, hope you do stay well, enjoy t he short and easy.  Sounds like you had a good lsr

What: running for 40 mins later with my sunday mate!
    why: she is working from home so we can
    last hard: last night 40 mins
    last rest: 31/12/16

have a good tuesday all, when is pancake day?  I don't eat eggs mind you!

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    LMH maybe I should try elastic laces.  I ran in a different pair of road shoes last night, only 40 mins though.  I will try them on the longer stuff at the weekend
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭

WABO - have a look at Greeper laces

What: easy 30 min bike AM fitness testing PM

Why: Numbers make the world go round

Last hard: Sunday

Last rest: 31st October

Lyrics: No

Reflecting on Sunday, it was a solid effort all round and my legs were largely good to the end. Even with the little moment off the bike and at the start of the 2nd run I was never stopped in my tracks and my pace to the line was excellent. 

It was a well organised low key event and a good way to get a burn up.

Funny how I don't enjoy these little races as much as the national stuff. Always feels like I shouldn't be at them as I know I will be at the front. Arrogance for sure but in my 49th year I should not be mixing it with the leaders.

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Gobi, looked and ordered! Arrogance you say but how nice! I hope by the time I am about 80 I might be in that situation lol! At a park run...
  • alex_halex_h ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

What: 5k run with friend D&D
    Why: Officially starting the road back
    Last hard: Today wasn't as hard as expected
    Last rest: Saturday
    Lyrics: No, but apt for me today!

So, run went well. 5km in 35ish mins. Not as hard as expected but challenging enough! New kit is comfy. HRM battery must be dead as couldn't get a reading. No issue for today but will need to replace as I run to HR when alone.

Back later!  :)
  • Good news Wabo. Greepers are too expensive for me - I use cheapo elastic laces.

Someone has to be at the front Gobi. Different if it's a race aimed at novices. Are the issues you refer to cramp?

Enjoy the run with company Hazel. Unfortunately my run today was back to being dire though it was a nice, if chilly, morning to be out running.

That's not a bad place to be starting back from Alex.

I think I'd just be dreading a session like that all day Dustin.
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Afternoon
    What: more walking
    Why: not quite ready to try running though ale I will definitely take your advice
    Last hard: every day
    Lyrics: nope

Well done Alex that's a great start.
    Good news about oh's toe wabo.

Have a lovely day all
  • Well done, Alex!

Em: Hope the return to running goes well. Ale is giving good advice.

Dustin: Enjoy the LT sesh. I am dreading them too, like LMH, but it's such a nice smug feeling when they're done.

Gobi: You can only race who's turning up and sometimes it's good to them youngsters that old folk can occasionally still be fast.

Enjoy your group outing, Hazel. I missed that you had a fall but glad to hear nothing bad happened.

What: 9 miles largely dry. Rain in the last mile
    Why: I fancied an outside run
    Last hard: sleeping
    Last rest: 23/1
    Lyrics: no

• Afternoon

Alex what  a great start to your comeback

Em: Keep at it are doing great.

What: 7.25 miles
    Why: Because I felt able too :disappointed:
    Last Hard: Yesterday
    Lyrics: Yes

Slow run but it felt good to be back to normalish for me.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Afternoon!

A cautious well done Alex! Please don't rush things (says he who has often rushed things in the past!). 5k from next to nothing is a big step. There is no rush: better to do things properly than break! I made a real return from running post various injuries last August, and ran alternate days. Apart from parkrun my longest was 3.2k and my shortest 1.6k i.e. 2 miles and 1 mile. By September was running every day, but lots of these were just 10, 15 minutes. Make sure you take a long term approach! 

Nice nine, Chick!

What: short run (20 mins off road), but wasn't expecting it to rain. (Drizzle actually)

Why: being cautious

Off to look up Greepers. 

Also, when running at present with my calf and Achilles niggles, I change my gait very slightly so that the foot is sometimes pointing out, or in, just for a couple of minutes. It seems to ward off the repetitive strain side of things. Suggested by an ultra runner at the club: 24 hours with the same foot plant is a long time!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • I don't dread lactate sessions chicksta because I don't do them  :)

Good to hear you feel back to normal Poppy.

Walking is a good place to start emzap.

Hope you didn't get too wet Alehouse.
  • Just a bit of drizzle, LMH. Washing is now out!
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭

LMH - it is because they are lace not elastic that I like them - I also have https://xtenex.com/ but I find them too tight on my foot sometimes.

Cramp is the manifestation/sensation but it is the cause that I have the issues with. (basically forget everything you think you know about cramp) I have an L4/L5 spine issue which sets nerves off which pull my hamstring and my ankle degeneration means under certain situations my calf seizes up.

Being at the front is fine, I always liked winning :¬) but I like hard racing more hence I don't do so many small events.

• What 13 miles
    Needed to prove to myself I could still run that far
    Last hard: 40mph wind this morning
    Last rest: Wednesday
    Lyrics no