Options

P&D Spring Marathon 2019

Comments

• Options
    I meant to add re recent speed, I’ve lost just over a stone from last year, purely cutting out crap, tough but hopefully worth it.
    And another thing, my 2nd fastest half ever was in the mp section....and one last thing (promise) for the final 1.5 miles of the recovery I carried 8 pints of milk (2x4pts).....as I was too tight to buy them from the village store at the end of my road😂
  • Options
    Good luck today TR, let us know how it goes.

Bad luck with the work situation NE, life annoyingly gets in the way sometimes, I’m sure you’ll make up for it.

jools - any danger or you actually doing any exercise this weekend?

Macca - we all spotted that run fella. You talking about how sub-optimal conditions were further solidifies your place in our 2:45 train!

Took inspiration from Jools yesterday and decided to hit the ‘f*ck it’ button, throwing caution to the wind and putting down a solid effort at parkrun pre cross country. 

Wasnt by any means an all out effort, just a nice leg loosener, ended up running 19:41 on a very XC course. If I’d have known the winner was only going to be 19:01 I might have been even more over eager, as it’s rare to get a win at a parkrun the size of Wimbledon.

Anyway, had about 3 hours to recover and get across to cross country. Good, solid effort, but legs were grumbling with 75 miles + 2 bike sessions in them in the last 4 and a half days.

Beaten by lots I’d normally beat but overtaking plenty in the 2nd half. Currently sat on the turbo for 3 hours. Happy running all. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Interesting thought on the MP and faster stuff, i havnt done much of this in the past.

Macca - great run that, 14m is a long mp run esp on a windy day.

Joe - thats a good weekends work. How is the new turbo?

My wife (the SPO) was unwell yday, but fortunately she rallied after sleeping most if the day, so i ran today. The rain wasnt too bad, but the wing blew ! Didnt feel particularly fresh, but dieseled it out. 1.24.13. Take the wind away and im in sub3 shape. Had a sore groin yday, but it was better than yday after a warm so i carried on. Couple of easy days, then back to it for a decent 6 weeks work.

Have to turn the ego off in build up races. Didnt feel great but Brighton is the focus and a few easy days doesnt make a taper.
  • Options
    Good effort with the pretty successful PR/XC doubles Joe/Jools.  Tough going.  No time for the Gwent League for me Jools.

Glad the SPO is better TR.  Look after yourself too.  My own experience with groin is to warm up really slowly.  Only ever think of stretching after thorough warm up (like a recovery run)... and even then... almost nothing.

Macca... come on.  You probably saved about 90p.  Was it really worth the discomfort?!  Actually, running back from Lidl's with about three pounds (weight)  of stuff one lunchtime about 4 or 5 weeks ago motivated me to a more aggressive weight loss strategy and  6lb gone in that time.

I had a lovely hilly/woodland 9m GA yesterday.  Not sure if I'll get a decent run today. Will at least try to get that threshold run in... it only takes just over an hour.

• Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    No LR this week but parkrun & XC yesterday made 14M with almost 9 of hard effort & over a 1000ft of climbing. Backed that up with a 12M MT race with 2K' of elevation. Heavy going & legs were struggling after the first couple of climbs but some jelly babies about 6.7M got me round in 44th. About 3:30 slower than last year & 15 places down but I did XC after the race last year rather than the day before! Think it was a slightly slower day than last year all round apart from the winner who smashed it in 80 minutes to win by over 3 minutes!!
    Just got the XC results from yesterday & we were 1st in our division B
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Northender - i only did some jogging for a couple of miles and then do a few strides to test it. I have had a tight are in the sacro illiac region so maybe its related, been rolling around on the tennis ball.
    Gained a couple of seconds in the official results, its my best time since a started a comeback in 2017 after a compromised couple of years, and around 75 secs quicker than last yr, although i cant decide if it was more or less windy today, think i took the M50 win too, so thats a place better than last yr.
  • Options

Top effort TR, bit unpleasant running this weekend. M50 win is impressive!!

No surprised no long runs with a 14m and 12m - that's 2 long runs in my book...

Macca - you are tighter than me... (we as tight maybe)

• Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Great work TR, well done on the age group win! Certainly in sub 3 shape and big improvement on last year, you must be satisfied. Hope the groin is ok. They can be tricky and could certainly be related to SIJ issues.

Great XC work on tired legs by Ramjet, Joe and Jools. Then backing up the next day for the 12 mile mountain race Jools. I think you can be excused for missing a long run.

Good work on the weight training and savings Macca. Don't listen to NE and FBT, just put the 90p in the pot for the next pair of shoes. It reminds me of a radio show I used to listen to in Oz, where they had a regular section called Tight Arse Tuesday, your story would've fitted nicely.

I think those MP runs do have a great training effect but I just don't think that physiologically it's important to hit MP, if you're a bit slower the effect is essentially the same. It's a real psychological boost though to know you hit the right pace, which can be just as important. I do plenty of long tempo runs with a fast finish which I think provide the same sort of benefit but I'm really not concerned about hitting an exact pace and never force it.

Got out for a tempo run this morning and felt pretty good. Stopping the offroad tempos now and onto a road loop - 7.5 miles (3x 2.5mile loops sustained effort, no rests). Felt like I was running at about 5:40/mile and in control but when I checked afterwards was only managing 6:00, 5:50, 5:50/mile for the 3 loops. There's a bit of a hill in the loop, but nothing too serious. Work to do yet and need make more of an effort to shift the extra weight I'm carrying. 
  • Options

Thanks for your thoughts on paces, NE. I am definitely one who takes at least until Wednesday to recover from a hard Sunday so I will definitely bear that in mind. Frustrating that work got in the way. I know it’s not everyone’s cup of tea, nor even possible for some, but I guess that’s a benefit of morning running – it’s done and dusted and no one is bothering you at that time. Woodland and hilly sounds lovely.

Solid double Saturday, Jooligan. Hope to see you this coming Sunday. Great running at Dursley Dozen. I sold my place in the end as the races were racking up a little. Well done on the division win as well.

LT in a XC during marathon training is perfect I reckon, Ramjet. It’s what I’ll be aiming for (at best) this Sunday.

Blimey, Macca, that’s another great session in the bag. I know another 14M seems huge, but you’ve got to think about fresh legs, adrenaline etc etc. The trimmer you is definitely working well. But good to see you’re still getting in some secret weight training. The 4 pinters will keep your guns in shape.

Just wondering if Joe and Jooligan are actually the same person? What with the parkrun/XC doubles. If it wasn’t for the recent photo… Very impressive week, Joe. I quite like XC but a good smash up, but with zero worries about time or pace. Makes it a good one during heavy training. Note that is me getting in my excuses for next weekend already.

That’s a great result in the wind, TR. Super stuff with the MV50 win as well – anything nice to show for it? I think with you base of big miles, sub 3 is definitely there for the taking.

Great tempo running, HA. I like how you make a conscious decision to increase the specificity of terrain closer to a goal race. Agreed regarding the MP: nice to hit it, but I won’t worry about a few seconds here and there in training. I am also a convert to the slightly harder long runs. Really it is just me sticking to recommended P&D paces, but I have been inspired by you, spoons and Eliud Kipchoge (I assume he reads the forum).

Easy parkrun with the buggy on Saturday in the hope it would leave me a little fresher for Sunday. Was certainly noticing the miles racking up. Early start and some further testing weather conditions, but a pleasing and solid run nonetheless. 20M at 7:06 average pace, including a reasonable amount of climbing (at least for a flattish looking route). That gave me 85M for the week, in the region of biggest ever. Pretty tired and achey after. Ate my bodyweight in snacks during the rugby – can’t decide it that’ll help recovery or not.

Enjoyable 7M recovery with spoons this morning, and hope to sneak in a further 3 later today at some point. Lots of schedule juggling this week, in order to incorporate Sunday’s XC as the LT session. I plan to run 22M to work on Wednesday morning. It is obviously very close to yesterday’s 20, but I will take it easy tomorrow and during the commute itself.

• Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Macca - Forgot to say well done on the 14 at MP, that's great this far out. More to come I think. Those MP runs always put that same thought in my mind about not being able to keep it up for another however many miles. I always think that the definition of MP in training is when, after about 3 miles, you think to yourself "there's no way I could keep this up for another 23 miles". But somehow the taper and race day magic seem to add more than I think possible.

SQ - Great LR and great mileage. Building, building.
  • Options
    TR - well done on the time and age cat.  Factor in the wind, 6 more weeks training etc and I think that’s a very good indicator of sub 3 based on my own experience.

Joe - well done on the PR/XC combo. However with your wild prediction I am a bit concerned your showing signs of overtraining 😉

Jools - some climbing in that race, great effort.

SQ - speedy finish to a big week.  I think you can snack as much as you like when the rugby goes that well.

Thanks HA (and others).  I’m still chuckling over Tight Arse Tuesday 😂.  A decent start to the week if not quite on the numbers.

• Options

NE, not sure I agree MP is in a grey area - I did the majority of my faster work at around MP before Manchester last year, and it certainly did the job for me. That’s frustrating about work.

Nice XC Jools, Ramjet and Joe.

Macca, I’ve never done an MP run where I’ve thought it felt manageable for the full distance! If you can do 14 at MP on your own at this point, that’s very solid.

Great time in tough conditions TR. I see they tweaked the course slightly do you feel it improved it? Hope the groin is ok.

Nice tempo HA even if it wasn’t quite as fast as it felt.

Great long run and week SQ

Solid end to the week for me. My legs felt surprisingly springy on my easy ten on Saturday, despite the breezy conditions. Yesterday was wet but a little less windy than it has been. 22 miles including 8x2 min “surges”. Struggled to really get the legs moving for the surges, especially for the ones in to the wind, but very happy with an average pace of 6:54 min/mi. As I said earlier in the week, feels like I’m building some momentum and heading in the right direction.

That was my third 110 mile week in a row, one more this week then I’ll slam the brakes on for Wokingham. In the past few years I’ve had a serious cut back in the week before Worthing due to reasons out of my control, but discussions with SQ this morning have cemented my decision to do similar hopefully by choice this time. Will give the body chance to recover from four heavy weeks, and hopefully set me up well for a decent HM. 

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Some incredible weekly mileage being racked up, especially by Spoons & Macca. It makes that 14@mp even more impressive.
    great age group win too TR, looking good for the sub 3.
    As with Ramjet, Joe & Jools I was also XC’ing on Saturday. As I was still in recovery mode I took it a lot less seriously than usual had an easy first 3 miles and then moved up through the gears in the last 3. Finished in one piece without feeling shattered. 11 miles yesterday finished off my recovery week and the VLM training starts tomorrow. Won’t have time for my traditional mini taper for Wokingham so I think that Fleet will be my target half for the spring as it fits in we’ll wilt the placement of a recovery week beforehand.
  • Options
    TR - excellent work at the weekend. Set you up nicely for the final assault on Brighton. Sounds like conditions weren't great so that puts you exactly where you want to be I reckon. New turbo is good, definitely quieter, but still causing some vibrations which are travelling down, even though it's on 2 mats. Going to look into getting some cheap foam flooring I can put it on.

HA - Sounds good mate, glad to see minimal knee trouble. How much weight you hoping to shift? Surely there's nothing of you left to go. 

SQ/Spoons - good running both, things going well.

How good was the rugby!

Easy day today. Swim and a couple of commute runs. 
  • Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Macca - impressive pace on the MP run.

Nicely done TR. Still wondering about SPO. Google says "Sales Prevention Officer!"

Nice tempo HA.

Awesome pace on that long run SQ.

Fantastic mileage as ever Spoons.

Not so good long run from me yesterday. A few days after saying that 7:10 miles were feeling good I finished my run yesterday 9 minute miling! Clearly attempting 21 miles the day after XC isn't a good plan, especially if you set off at your normal pace. The first 10 or 11 miles were OK but it was downhill from there. A deluge of freezing rain and strong wind didn't help my spirits, nor did running in the dark and in the end I cut the run short and trotted home for 18 miserable miles. Probably the first time I have cut a long run short but you live and learn.

4 miles recovery today wasn't too bad.
  • Options
    Joe-Loved watching the rugby. Hope the new turbo keeps the neighbours at bay!

Mills-Great XC. Maybe the first person to ever feel good after it?!

Spoons-great mileage and from what I hear similar to Manchester last year? Excited to hear how Wokingham goes for you and the others

Macca-I do Tightarse Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays etc! Great stuff recently and 14 @ MP is almost incomprehensible for me

SQ-Great 20 miler

HA-Nice tempo

Last week was...interesting for me. Work was genuine hell, at my desk for 15 hours a day Tuesday through Friday so no time for a run. If my colleagues could stop going on holiday and resigning, that would be great. Then had family stuff on Saturday so only had yesterday's 19 miler to show for the week. 1500ft in climbing meant my legs were really feeling it in the 5 mile recovery jog this lunchtime
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    HA - good idea on getting course specific, when i do vlm i make sure i get some flat long runs in beforehand.

SQ - another great long run and weeks miles. No idea on race prizes, i hung my finshers medal round a little tots neck (kept the banana), and ran the 2m back to the car.

Spoons - tasty long run and big miles, great work. There must have been less running round the streets behind the seafront early doors, as there was an out and back (north and south) as a break from toiling along the seafront, which worked well and enabled me to see that there was no one older than me ahead of me. I like it as a race, im parked up in quiet side streets 45 mins after leaving home , run a couple of miles to the start and do the same back after.

Millsy - im in for Fleet, but was planning a train ride there, which British Rail have now said is 2xtrsin and 2x bus replacement due to works.

Joe - you can get vibration dampening matts for things like washing machines or other machinery.

Ramjet - sports not sales. Still 18m banked, maybe you were underfuelled.

Well done on the long run george.

5m easy today, had slightly achy lower back and hips from ydays running into the wind i guess. Will have another easy day tomorrow and then get back to it.
  • Options
    Good result TR. You're definitely in sub 3 shape. With plenty of training weeks left & a taper you'll be flying in Brighton.
    Bad luck George - least you got the key LR in.
    Well done to all the other XC racers out there. You've got a bit to learn still if you're not beasting the parkrun beforehand Joe :p 
    Another massive week Spoons & a very fine LR to end it too.
    Big miles from SQ too - you been hiding some of your training as Strava has you on <60 for last week?
    A stone lost Macca! That's some serious gains right there - maybe all the online running games have been useful after all :D 

Much needed return to runless Monday for me today after a 13 day streak with an unhealthy proportion of hard effort. Just a bike commute & steady swim for my active recovery.
    Got home to 2 HM race packs. Wokingham (893) & Wrexham which is this Sunday 
    Hope my XC spikes heel blister has healed by then. The road shoes weren't aggravating it last week but it still had skin on til Saturday pm! Much worse pushing off uphill so no real concerns with either of those races smiley
  • Options
    Spoons - Great LR and weekly mileage.
    TR - Nice HM, sounds like you are in a good place for sub 3.
    Joe/Jools - Nice XC/parkrun combos.
    Macca - Nice MP run.
    18 miles on Saturday morning, then 22 miles (90 mins) on the bike in the afternoon. 6 miles on Sunday with 2 at LT ( 6:23/6:40) legs were feeling it on the second fast mile. Then 10 miles today.
  • Options

That’s a really impressive long run, spoons. As I said yesterday, I am amazed how you average <7m/m for a long run without large portions at MP. Worked such a treat for you last year. I also valued our discussions about the week leading into Wokingham. I think I will trial the 70-85 plan taper race week. It will certainly be a lighter week which will be fine for the half, but I am intrigued to see if it feels too much before the goal race.

Millsy I only noticed Fleet half yesterday. Unfortunately, it is sold out as it could have worked well for me. Hope to see you at Wokingham.

XC is so tough, Ramjet. No surprised you found the long run hard. Can you sub in the 21 later on in the plan? Or just not bother – you probably would have had near the same training effect anyway.

That is a tough week at work, George. The long run is the most important of the week, so at least you got that in.

Jooligan ­– you’re right. I have made the error of accepting various colleagues Strava invitations. This means I tend to ‘make private’ any run that is very close to school time. It just isn’t worth the raised eyebrows, even though I know it is fine. I was surprised to see on the leader board that my overall mileage didn’t show, even if the individual activities were hidden. Never mind. If you want the full details, feel free to have a look at the fetcheveryone log – that is currently sufficiently unknown in the wider community! Best of luck at the Village Bakeries (?) half – I really enjoyed it in 2015. Set a massive PB there.

You’re in good shape, Steve. Any plans to increased the volume and frequency of running? No need to – you’re going great guns, just wondered.

Planned to have a relative lie in until 6 this morning, but my toddler had other plans. How many stories do you think you can read from 3:45 – 5:45am? The plan had 9M GA, which I thought would be about 7:45 pace. I didn’t push it at all, mindful of tomorrow’s planned long run, but was surprised that I was barely scraping recovery pace of 8:40s or so. Never mind, it underlines that last week was huge for me, and any impact on sleep will have consequences.

Praying that the forecast Southerly tomorrow morning continues. A tail wind the whole way to work would be marvellous.

• Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Sorry guys I've been a bit quiet as that lurgy knocked me for 6 last week and not much running was done!
    Shout out to TR for a very impressive perofrmance at the weekend - real confidence booster that :smile:
    Got back out yesterday with a 5mi LT run - avg 6:40/mi which I was delighted with after the previous week and still in recovery mode. Hoping for a better week now finishing with an MP run at the end of the week.
    Entered a couple of races today to peak my enthusiasm a bit - Testway Ultra (50mi) on 6th April and Shakespeare Marathon on 28th April.
  • Options
    SQ - I plan to maintain around 45 miles a week (5 days a week) for now, until March when P&L starts, then I'll peak around 55 miles but with a lot more faster miles (LT/VO2 etc).
    AWC - I did the Shakespeare half back in 2015, which was a nice route.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    SQ, Fleet has replaced the Eastleigh 10k in the Hampshire road race league so has sold out a lot earlier this year.
  • Options
    Things have moved on a lot in in the last week, sorry that I can't catch up with everything.

Jooligan - Well done on the park run and XC double, then 12 miler on Sunday. Big weekend of racing.

Joe - Good park run and XC double as well. Although your increased mileage knocked me out of my standard 3rd place in the Strava group  :)

Ramjet - Solid XC effort, sorry the LR didn't go to plan.

Macca - Nice 14 mile @ MP with the wind and the weight training afterwards  :D  My thought on MP is there would be more of it in the plan if it was a really important training pace. My 8 and 10 miles @ MP earlier in the plan were pretty pathetic efforts pace wise, but the 12 went really well last week and I think it was down to solidly hitting the MLRs and LRs which I don't run any quicker than MP + 10%.

TR - Apologies, I'm also clueless on what SPO means. Seems you're in great shape to run that time with the wind on the weekend. Nice to get the age group 1st place as well.

HA77 - Do you aim for a particular pace or perceived effort in the long tempo runs? Still plenty of time to London to shift that weight and build more fitness.

SQ - Great LR. Eating your bodyweight in snacks is probably preferable to the 3 pints I had watching the game.

Spoons - Fantastic LR and mileage week again for you.

Millsy - Impressive you only need a single week of recovery after the ultra. You must be in great shape for the start of VLM training.

George - Sorry to hear about work, at least you got your LR in.

SteveMac - Big Saturday for you, no wonder the 2nd Sunday mile at LT felt hard.

AWC - Sorry to hear you've not been well. I'll be interested to see how you juggle the plan with an ultra and marathon 3 weeks apart.

First VO2 max session last week completed, legs felt a bit tired after the 12 @ MP but the effort felt controlled. Sunday LR was a slog, but I think it being part of 45 miles over 3 days and the wind over that time was to blame.

This week should end up being 90+ miles including the 7 @ LT and 24 miles on Sunday. I only went up to 22 miles on my long run in my last build up and I did the 7 @ LT on a treadmill which I don't have access to now, so I'm a bit apprehensive for those 2.

Wokingham pack turned up yesterday. After Watford being cancelled, hopefully the weather is good to set a nice benchmark for the marathon. I don't think I'll do anything different with the plan other than shuffle the harder runs to the start of the week. I'd rather go to Manchester knowing that I did everything I could to run a fast time there, rather than saving a minute or 2 on the half.
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    HPR: the 50 mile race will be my last long run before I taper for the marathon. I'll have about a weeks recovery from that and then the normal 2 week taper
  • Options
    SQ - I guess sometimes real life comes into play with family! Well done for getting out there regardless. Not sure I could hack it. 

HPR - sorry to knock you off  ;) sounds like you'll be back there this week with a big one planned.

Nice LT AWC and Steve.

Right then, going to get a pair of these magic shoes. How do Nike's come up size wise? I'm 10.5 in Adidas. Spoons/SQ/anyone else...?
  • Options

I want some magic shoes as well........

Im waiting for the Nike Vapourfly 10%

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Stevemac - good weekends miles.

SQ - shame about the early start, hope you feel fresher for your long run. Shame re Fleet too.

AWC - thats a tough 3 weeks with a mara after an ultra ? Nice LT run too.

HydeP - big week there, cracking work. Sports Prevention Officer!

5m easy again today to let Sunday soak in. I reckon with a better taper and no wind id gain a couple of minutes, so keep calm and carry on for another 6 weeks.
  • Options
    TR - one of these days I'm going to let slip to the OH she is called a SPO, when I do you're going to be in a world of trouble 😉

HPR - I believe we are in the same week of the same plan, does yours describe it as a recovery week 😂? (7@LT & a 24m LR).

Re the MP runs, I think the reason for less of them is the injury risk/ time to recover, the book refers to the specifity principle of running at MP being the best training for marathons.

• Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Hope work stuff improves George. That sounds stressful.

SQ - I'm not going to sub it in - I'm not a fan of the super long run anyway. It was a 2 and a half hour run so that will do. Hope you can get some more sleep!

Nice easy 6 miles this morning and then a swimming event tonight - how many lengths can you swim in an hour? I managed 98 so I have a nice target for next time!