Is all mileage the same?

Hi guys, training for my 1st marathon and am finding it difficult getting the miles in. 

My question is, is running say 8 miles, 5 times a week (total 40 miles) the same as running 5 miles, 4 times a week and one 20 mile long run (total 40 miles)?

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    In short, no. 

Different lengthed runs stress the body in different ways and you are preparing for a marathon so you will need the stress of longer runs. You also need to supplement the longer run with domething in between really so if the long was 20 and you could only do another 20 you want an 12, 4 and 4 as a rough example. 
  • Thanks DT19, I presumed that would be the answer, and it makes perfect sense. 

I have been following those principles, but I know this week I won't be able to do my long run (18 miles) do to time constraints. I'll just have to manage it somehow. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    As DT 19 says...

You don't need to do a long run every week, every other week is fine.  That's probably a much better way to train especially if it's your first marathon. The in between weeks drop back to say 10 or 12 miles and doing a couple of races during your training will help too, especially a half marathon.  A half marathon is a good assessment of how your marathon training is going.
  • Ah, that's good to know. Thank you for the advice. I'm not sure if I'm enjoying the training, I find it mentally challenging more than physically challenging. The constant battle with your consciousness. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    There is a lot of mental pressure when marathon training, especially for your first, so you really want to make it as enjoyable as possible.  Doing a race is social and lots of others there will also be training for their first marathon.   Perhaps join a club and you can have some company to train with which makes it easier too.

I would definitely do your long runs every 2 weeks, it will feel easier.