Sub 3

Comments

• Good stuff TR. Great time on a blowy day. Just rewards for 3 more months of consistent training since Abo.
    Solid weekend there SJ. LR after 10w6@LT(ish) is good going if you were feeling tired. Wedding catching up on you?
    No LR this week but parkrun & XC yesterday made 14M with almost 9 of hard effort & over a 1000ft of climbing. Backed that up with a 12M MT race with 2K' of elevation. Heavy going & legs were struggling after the first couple of climbs but some jelly babies about 6.7M got me round in 44th. About 3:30 slower than last year & 15 places down but I did XC after the race last year! 
  • Nice ten miler sj.

Glad you're happy with the result TR.

Hope you had a good long run Joolska.

Sounds like a good weekend of training Jooligan.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • TR - smacked right into the onion bag, spot on with the half marathon.   
    SJ - That's a great 2 days of training, a bit fastish and long, and a bit long, perfect training for April. 
    Thats more than decent too Jooligan, nice one. 
    14m for me a 8/6 double. Starting to shake off the fatigue from my recent spell of marathons. 
  • 15 at 8.15s, which is not bad for my longest run since October!  55 for the week.  Getting there slowly.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Joolska - did you get it done? Id struggle to get a long run done on a sunday afternoon.

SJ - good couple of days there, you are getting used to 6.3X pace now.

Wardi - its a predominantly sea front based race, theres a wind farm off the coast in the sea.

Big weekend there jools, no need for a long run every week, i only totalled 17 today.

OO - whats next ? Barca?

I gained a couple of seconds in the official results and was around 75 seconds quicker than last year, but i can't decide if it was more or less windy,  but it was even noticable today on the few sections behind the seafront main road. Think i picked up the M50 win too. Just polished off a jafrezi, will have a beer later.
    Thats my quickest 1/2 since my comeback, and a better performance at last. Safety pins can go away now, no more racing until Fleet 1/2, although i entered that as a race i can get to by train that weekend, and british rail have now said its a 2 x train and 2 x bus replacement!
  • Wardi - nicely done in the calmer conditions and solid total too. I was just below your total which might not be a good thing considering half my mileage was crammed into 2 days. This is a typical occurrence since I don't like doing tempo at night on the streets so save that for the Saturday. Leaves Sunday as a long run on tired legs but that's the only way I can fit it in.

Jooligan - solid racing as ever with some great hill training. Yes the travel and late nights last weekend took it out of me I reckon. Need some early nights.

OO - good to see you getting back up to speed. Where does the streak go next?

Jools - nice run today and good to see you getting back into it.

TR - good analysis on today's performance and congrats again on the return to form. All looking good.
  • Top bombing in the wind TR!

It was much calmer here today than yesterday, but still windy enough to make 21 quite hard work this morning. But it's done. 75 miles this week and another cutback week next week (of 60). I put in lighter weeks for my half marathon in week 12, my 10k in week 9 and my birthday in week 3, so week 6 just fits the pattern. It's a bit odd doing 2 weeks build one week cut, but so far so good.

• Joolska - Its great to get that LR d&d, and 55 miles for the week is excellent.
    Speedy - Super miles. I don't tend to do cut-back weeks, but if its working for you, stick with it.  
    TR/ SJ - Paris on April 14th to make it #12, and the tougher bit is London 2 weeks later. Unsure on what strategy to follow for these but plenty of time to decide. Meanwhile will just have to train-train-train and raise this weeks 44m to 55m and then average out ideally c65 mpw.  Also need to find a HM race in a few weeks time. 
    TR - Congratulations on the MV50 win.
  • Well raced TR.

Nice long run TGO.

Well raced as ever Jooligan - you're an absolute machine!

Easy 10k for me Saturday - ran with a friend who is just getting back into running and it was the furthest he'd been in a good while. Doesn't feel like a workout when it's just a good old natter. 20 miles for me yesterday which is my furthest in about three years and brings up my first 50 mile week in the same period. Found it pretty tough going about halfway through (could have been boredom as much as anything), but rallied to ensure the splits didn't drift accordingly.

Once this week is up I'll be halfway through the 16-week Brighton schedule. 

• Good stuff in the half, TR.

My legs got so cranky last week, I decided to have both Fri & Sat off. I discovered I had some hard lumpish areas in my R hamstring, just down from where I've had niggles for a while I've associated with the piriformis; massaged them like hell, and hoped it might cure me. But the hamstring felt tetchy yesterday, so I binned out of the modest speed session I had planned in favour of a safer steady run, and even that petered out at 19 miles as I felt the legs were getting cranky again. So no harm done, but no great training, either. Then a 10K plod to work today. This week will be a bit light anyway due to work commitments, I think, maybe no bad thing.

• Do you ever have a sports massage Charlie?

Looks as though you're building nicely EE.

How are your niggles OuchOuch?

It was wet here most of yesterday CC2 and whilst not as windy as it has been still quite strong in places so I just did a MLR. I took advantage of much better conditions today to get the long one done, just 20 miles for me though, I'll add a bit on to some if/when we get better weather!

Well done on the age cat win TR - any bling?

I think doing the long run on tired legs has definite advantages sj though it's nice to do the odd one fresh.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - well done on tbe sunday pm long run, i have to tick mine off on a saturday morning so i can relax then.

CC - well done on tbe 21.

OO - thats a 2 month break between maras !

EE - that sounds like you coped ok with the first 20.

Cw - maybe you need some physio ? Or start doing some leg s and c.

Lmh - no idea if theres prizes, i didnt get a prize for 2nd last yr. I hung my finishers medal round some little tots neck and ran the 2m back to the car.

5m easy today slightly achy hips and back, probably from leaning into the wind.
  • well done on the prize, and the boost from the performance for the bigger picture target TR 

19 mile run aint to be sniffed at CW
    Nice Long runs too EE, CC2 and LMH 

like Lmh I did my 20 yesterday, should shape up for a big big week.

Mixed it up with some trail, then a bit of up and down, and then some tempo. Came out at 2.30 for the run, of which I think the first 10 would have been close to 8mms. seems it was a long run with some effort in there. 
    Last 4 miles after I was solo again (9-15 was accompanied) were harder but were alright really, felt like the back end of the marathon where it was just drifting a little bit but not losing as much as it feels.  

As an overthinker and procrastinator about too much (not just running) I saw an ace tip for getting a 20 out the way. 

run 4 miles one direction, back, 3 miles another, 2 miles another and finish with 1 mile. 
    Thought it was clever to break it up. (downside of course is being back to the start point too many times) (and finding 4 routes!!) 

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Haven't checked in since Thursday last week so afraid I can't comment on everyone! But TR, that is a very tidy run in those conditions and indicates well under sub-3 shape I reckon.

Some very good long runs but lots of you as well (SJ, Jools CW etc.), which must have been tough in the weekend's weather (the wind).

Just the 3 races for Jooligan in the weekend as well!

WTGY - that does seem to break up the long run to make it seem quite manageable. Once you've done the 4M out-and-back, you'd be thinking "just 3M out, run back and then nearly done" (as the last two legs are so short).

On Friday I got a fairly bad cold (from mini-Padams no doubt). Usually I carry on training when I have a cold, but I also had a slight headache that got a lot worse when I bent down, and my legs were aching just walking around on Saturday. So I took the whole weekend off running and only got 15M done for the week.

6.5M off-road yesterday lunchtime felt fine though so I think I'm clear to get back into it. Have entered a local HM 2 weeks on Sunday, so that doesn't leave me much time to get in shape, but hopefully I can get some miles in this week and next (although both weekends we have lots of social stuff going on) and then have an easy week before the race.

• LMH> Do you ever have a sports massage Charlie?

Only the self-inflicted sort. Preferably after some weekend alcohol while watching a film or something, if it's painful!
  • LMH - Niggles happily under control BUT playing indoor football with my son last night, in socks, took a swipe at the ball missed and mightily kicked the door frame.  Much *!$%&*!£ and a nice broken little pinky on my left foot- now swollen to twice its size, black & bruised.  On the plus side, there's my week off to fully recover from recent exertions. 
    WTGY - Nice way to run a 20 miler.  I tend t dread them beforehand but really enjoy them once got going.  I am a more traditional out for 10 miles/ back for 10 miles. 
  • Maybe it's worth considering then Charlie?

Oh no OuchOuch - hope it heals quickly, you may need more than a week.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    WTG - nice one on the 20. I tend to run out and backs, and smaller loops for my long runs too. Padams - bad luck on the lurgy. Hope you get some 1/2 mara miles in. I guess a better taper and less wind would have gained me a couple of minutes, so keep calm and carry on ! OO - and ouch ouch again. Might take a while to get running again. 5m easy again today, to let sunday soak in. Back to it tomorrow.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    OO.. I always said football is a dangerous sport - a clubmate played a bit and broke his leg!  Bad luck and hope you recover in reasonable time.
    19m is still worth banking Charlie, hope the lighter week sorts you out.
    Congrats on the weekend long runs LMH, EE, CC2.
    WTGY.. good stuff getting a 20m done early in the week.  Must try that out & back routine sometime.
    Hope you manage a few double digit runs before the half Padams, the cold is bad timing!
    11.6m for me today which I guess just scrapes into the 'MLR' category.

• Glad you're feeling better Padams. I'm sure you'll have a good race regardless of the low mileage.

What sort of mileage are you ticking over on Wardi?
  • @OuchOuch it's always dangerous to go near any other sports as a runner. I once played volleyball with some friends and strained a leg muscle that took over 6 months to come right.  @Padams fingers crossed also for a speedy recovery. I always try to think of rest for an illness as a kind of training, as you can only run again when you are better. 

I am definitely an out and back runner, unless it can be a long loop. I really miss living near Richmond Park for that. The only decent park I know near me now is Black Park which is a 5k loop, more than twice and I get very bored. 

I could do more on the road I suppose, but there aren’t many footpaths on the narrow back roads where I live plus at least with parks I know where the toilets are!

• OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Thanks for your good wishes and you are all right - it will take longer and football with my 9 year son seems to be never ending cause of ailments.  I am currently like one of Cinderellas ugly sister trying to put my foot into shoes - had to go to work yesterday in over-sized wellies!  Luckily yesterdays work involved visiting a couple of farms.  So will take the pooch for lots of walks as one of the reasons I enjoy running so much is that I just like being outdoors. 
  • OuchOuch - Ouch!
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

OO - unlucky with the toe. At least it's not a bad time for a break (pun not intended) following your recent marathon successes.

9M last night inc. some efforts on the track (4x(1200, 200 jog, 400)). Felt de-lurgified so I can get going with the proper training, although I won't be able to do anything today due to work and then family stuff.

• Can you get out on your bike OuchOuch?

Are you still in London TGO? I much prefer loops to out and backs, even lollipops but I'm fortunate to have lots of different bits of runs I can put together in different ways - still get bored of them all whilst doing high mileage mind.

Glad you're feeling better Padams.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    I hear on the grapevine that WTGY has reached another year of ancientness today so many happy returns young chap.  Do I also hear that this is a new age category too?
    LMH.. I'm hovering around 60-65mpw which is about the max I can cope with.  Marathon No.1 is 3 1/2 weeks away so I'm banging a few heavier weeks in before a mini taper.  2 short runs today, might try a long one tomorrow.  I'm certainly enjoying the warmer climes after the cold snap.
  • It was definitely milder here today Wardi - long may it last.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - p and d would class 11 as an mlr.

Padams - good session, good news that the lurgy in on the retreat.

Happy birthday to WTG then.

Back to the mileage munching today with a 15m run home tonight, it was certainly cold here, i had numb fingers with two layers of gloves, by the time i got home.
  • No wind, no ice. Absolute bliss. I could even see without the aid of the chest light for all but the very, very last bit of my run. I'm sure it won't last, but I enjoyed it today!

• OO - wincing whilst reading your description of your toe. Hope it heels up soon.

Padams - glad you are recovered and able to get a short build-up in for the local half.

WTGY - happy bday fella. Hope you treated yourself to some beerios.

I run out and backs for my long runs mostly because I have the canal on my doorstep. Otherwise short laps or loops.

Getting very pissed off with the roads atm. Too busy, even at 7pm+ which can't be good for my lungs. Legs also grumbling from the concrete. Counting down the days for the lighter nights so I can get off road again.