Sub 3

Comments

• Hope you had a good day WTGY.

We'll just about get there and they'll change the clocks sj...........

Sounds as though you enjoyed your run CC2.

How were your legs TR?
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • I'm pining for the clock change too SJ, although more for morning runs.

Sorry to hear about the toe OO.

Tempo run for me Tuesday (1M WU, 3M @ sub 6:30, 1.6M CD), 8 x 2.5 min @ sub 6 with the club last night (10.4M total) and 10.2M slow this morning. I don't think my MLRs are going to get much longer than that tbh and I'm fine with that - don't want to destroy myself for the sake of a few extra miles.

Long awaited sports massage at lunch so am hoping I feel revitalised after that! 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - agreed, roll on summer Abo training.

EE - good session that.

LMH - legs were ok, bit tired on the run back today esp the quicker miles but that would be the same any week.

10 progresive today, 5 av 8.21, 5 av 6.49. Only a few icy patches to dodge.
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

TR - another 15M and then 10M with 5M at MP, very impressive.

EE - lots of quality in there. 10M for a MLR is a bit shorter than ideal, but still a good workout if you put plenty of MP in there or other stuff.

Nothing for me yesterday as expected, but 4.5M this morning - a couple with the dog then into work. May squeeze in another short run later if I'm lucky.

• I hear ya Padams - it's just unfortunate that the way I have to structure my week means the MLR comes about 10/11 hours after a club session and if I've done a tempo on a Tues too, I don't really want three hard runs on consecutive days. I've always figured the LR is the holy grail, the club session is second most important in terms of getting speed in the legs, then everything else can kind of fit round those two. In an ideal world the MLR would probably get up to about 15; just trying to get as fit as I can without keeling over lol. 
  • That's a decent early session TR.  Nice one.  A bit colder again this morning for sure.

I was very heavy-legged last weekend, not too surprising after a couple of bigger weeks (for me) and a lot going on at work.  The XC on Saturday was particularly poor, even junior beat me, but when Sunday's 'easy' 11 turned into far too much of a slog it was time for a day off.  Which I think turned out OK because track last night was much better.  We'll see how the HM on Sunday goes though.  No big sessions planned before then, which probably qualifies as some sort of taper.

• Sounds as though you've recovered well TR.

Your hamstring must be holding up ok with those sessions EE. I had a bit of a PITA this morning before my run so have booked a physio appointment (have been trying to save some money by not going as regularly).

Is Sunday a target race CD?

Hope you get lucky Padams.

• It's never out of my mind LMH and still feels like it could go at any point, but hasn't properly seized up in a while. I'm the same with physio trips - haven't been divulging the appts to the missus! Hope the fizz sorts you out. 
  • LMH - no, not really.  I usually do a half around this time of year as part of VLM build up - or at least I do now, after they got rid of the Spring Ballbuster which was a staple for a while.  Most recent years it's been Wokingham, but I fancied a change this year.  Not an A race but I'd like a decent run at it just to gauge where I am pace-wise.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    EE - you need to fit in what you can around life etc i dont have club sessions, and have made mlr a priority this time, due to my Abo cramping.

LMH - 5 more weeks, so i need to do a few reps and a bit of mp.
  • It's going quickly TR.
  • Drum roll.... I did my first speed work in 4 months last night!  Not much: just 2 x 2km at about marathon pace (came out at 4.11/km for the first 2km chunk and 4.12/km for the second 2km chunk) and then 4 x 500m at about half marathon pace (around 3.50/km for the 500m sections).  Legs feel pretty ok, so hopefully I can gradually extend that over the coming weeks.  I might even get to race in March!
  • Excellent news Joolska.
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Jools - great news just to have done a speed session, doesn't matter what the paces were. It just gives you something to build on.

EE - some would say the MLR is the next most important weekly session after the LR, and speedwork is just the icing on the cake. But I agree that hard sessions on consecutive days is not a good idea - I always avoid even doing 2 in a row, let alone 3.

Squeezed in 5M last night, just doing laps of the block until Mrs P got home with mini-P. All easy except about 10 sets of strides - legs felt quite good, which I often find is the case in the evening if I've done a short easy run in the morning.

• Good morning, very warm up here, well it is during the day, frosty this morning and clear skies made for a very scenic morning run. 

Thanks for the birthday wishes, I think I turned 30 on this forum, and now 40 :-/

Chugged along this week, a few 7/8/9s along with that 20 early in week. I think its more about getting the legs all alright for long run this weekend. 

SJ - do you ever go offroad with headtorch? 

EE - 'enjoy' the massage!

Is there still a list of peoples upcoming marathons? (was there ever a list of peoples upcoming marathons? ) There did used to be the PB one didn't there. 

I forget where people are at with their training and the bigger picture 
  • Great news on the speed work, Joolska

Certainly didn't enjoy it WTGY - he had me on the ceiling! At least you feel like they're making a difference that way I guess. There were a few moments when my back felt like it was gonna spasm; ditto my hamstrings. I do think my hamstring problems are linked to my back though.  
  • LMH, EE -- I too have a PITA. Someone tipped me off about "high hamstring tendinopathy" (or tendinitis/osis), which does seem to fit my symptoms of the PITA (only sometimes), a niggle high up in the hamstring (sometimes) perhaps worse in race efforts or descents, but no obvious acute muscle problem, and it takes a while to come on when training (sometimes). Also it can be fine running, but sitting on certain chairs aggravates it. It fits better than the piriformis syndrome I had a few years ago in that I don't have much in the way of tingly or rubbery [sciatic] nerve sensations and there often isn't much of a PITA either. It's only mild, but obviously I'd rather be shot of it. I might explore some new exercises now I have a new thing to Google.

WTGY -- congrats on reaching MV40, it's great being the new kid on that block!

• That sounds kind of right Charlie. I just want to get through the eight weeks until Brighton and then hopefully some proper time off will banish it for good.  
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Marathon List..
    10th March - Barcelona..  Wardi
    7th April -     Manchester.. SJ
    14th April -   Brighton.. TR, EE
    14th April -   Paris..  OO
    28th April -   VLM.. LMH, CC2, CharlieW, Wardi, OO, JoeB, DanA, Jools?
    20th Oct   -   York.. Al P, CharlieW, LMH, Wardi
    Please add/edit as appropriate. Can't remember where Jooligan, CD, TGO, WTGY are marathon bound?
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Set off this morning on an out & back route, intention was 18/19 miles.  Chilly at first though the weather was glorious once it warmed up, decided to push on to 10m before turning round.  At this point I had to strip down to a t-shirt and take the gloves off,  I reckon the temp rose by 7 degrees in 90 mins! 
    Pleased to get 20.1m in the bag, I will see how tired legs feel at the Parkrun tomorrow!
    That's encouraging Jools, long may it continue. 
    Charlie, EE.. sorry to hear you are both struggling a bit.  As previously documented I ended up getting an injection to cure mine and it never came back.  I used to find long car/plane journeys to be uncomfortable after an hour or so.
  • Nice running Wardi. It warmed up here whilst I was out too - but not enough for me to even take my gloves off.

Charlie - I find my physio's elbow in the offending area to be a painful but effective relief. Does bring tears to my eyes though.
  • @Little M.iss Happy Just outside the M25 near Gerrards Cross. LSR choice is either trails or roads with no side path here (or the bloody A40). At least in the week, my work is right beside Regents canal for lunchtime out-and-backs.

@saintjason Hear you...between work and home for me is a good 12 miles next to said A40 (no thanks) or along the dark canal and then a trail, but becomes a perfect mid-week activity from late March...when I'll be tapering of course!

Marathon List..
    10th March - Barcelona..  Wardi
    7th April -     Manchester.. SJ
    14th April -   Brighton.. TR, EE, TGO
    14th April -   Paris..  OO
    28th April -   VLM.. LMH, CC2, CharlieW, Wardi, OO, JoeB, DanA, Jools?
    20th Oct   -   York.. Al P, CharlieW, LMH, Wardi
    Please add/edit as appropriate. Can't remember where Jooligan, CD, WTGY are marathon bound? 
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    EE.. fortunately I don't need to see him very often but the chap I see in Wetherby used to look after the England cricket team, currently Yorkshire cricket team so knows his stuff.  When I told him about my 3 month glute to back of knee nerve pain he told me in his no nonsense style 'well it's not going to go away on it's own after that length of time'.  He found the source of the pain (glute, probably piriformis/sciatic nerve inflammation).  He injected cortisone into the area and told me not to run for 4 days.  On the 5th day I went for a short run and the pain was gone - before it was like having toothache running down my leg.  To get this done you need to find a physio with a needle therapy qualification.  About £70-90 for private treatment.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Joolska - nice one, with long runs and reps you should defo get into a race soon.

Wardi - well done on the 20. Jooligan is Brighton with me and EE.

It was very cold and frosty when i ran this morning, and had to dodge icy patches.

6m easy, still dont really like these short  runs but P and D say not to add miles on to them. The time to review the campaign is after race day.
  • Glad to hear you're getting back into it Joolska. I take it you won't be at Nationals next weekend?
  • Definitely no cross country - sad it's the third xc season in a row I've had to ditch but the injury risk is too high and I'm too unfit!
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Cheers Wardi.  Added a few.

Marathon List..
    7th April -     Manchester.. SJ
    14th April -   Brighton.. TR, EE, TGO, Jooligan
    15th April -   Boston.. DanA
    20th Oct   -   York.. Al P, CharlieW, LMH, Wardi

My little toe was bruised not broken so should be fine for a little tester run tomorrow.  6 days without running my longest period of abstinence for many a year. 
  • Marathon List..
    7th April -     Manchester.. SJ WTGY
    14th April -   Brighton.. TR, EE, TGO, Jooligan
    15th April -   Boston.. DanA
    29th Sep.  -   Berlin.. WTGY
    20th Oct   -   York.. Al P, CharlieW, LMH, Wardi
  • not 1 but 2 mr Ward 

well done for the 20, certainly lovely in gods own at the moment isn't it. 

Knocked in another 20(.4) this morning. 18 off road. Last 3.4 miles or so about minimum target MP mainly on road for that bit.

Feel knackered but held pace alright (or increased it which is something that I do when I am tired)