Sub 3h15

Comments

• Welcome, mike.  FWIW I didn't do 70mpw until I had been running for about 6 years, and I probably made the jump from 50mpw to 70mpw too quickly: I have slightly grim memories of being tired all the time for about 2 months the first time I did P&D's up to 70mpw schedule. It did pay off with a 12 minute pb, but on reflection I probably would have got a fairly big PB from 60mpw and then could have done 70mpw for the next campaign.  I find 60mpw is my real sweet spot: 4 weeks at 60mpw brings enormous aerobic gains for me, and then the 70mpw weeks are a bonus.

Drum roll.... I did my first speed work in 4 months last night!  Not much: just 2 x 2km at about marathon pace (came out at 4.11/km for the first 2km chunk and 4.12/km for the second 2km chunk) and then 4 x 500m at about half marathon pace (around 3.50/km for the 500m sections).  Legs feel pretty ok, so hopefully I can gradually extend that over the coming weeks.  I might even get to race in March!
  • Mike

I never got those sort of miles. This is my preparation for VLM 2012 so it started in October 2011. The basic plan was to run shorter races over the summer of 2011 following a spring marathon and that culminated with the Cabbage Patch 10 in October in 59:26. Following that 10, I built up to 20 before the end of 2011, a mile a week. The hardest was that week with the 19 mile run knowing that just one mile extra and 20 would be done but having the discipline to stop and go out a few weeks later and do the 20. That was the base building phase and getting the miles up slowly and controlled.

The campaign was roughly P&D up to 55 miles but I stretched a few of the long runs. The key session was the mid week run so once I was at a long run of 20 I started to introduce a second medium long run so my the end of the campaing I was doing a 13 or 14 mile as well as the long one plus one faster session. The other days were general or recovery.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Jools I bet that felt good. You can’t beat a bit of speed work!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Well done, Jools. Hopefully you can kick on now.

That's some manual record keeping, PMJ!

Mike, I have tried different methods. My first mara in 2014 I did p and d to 55 miles. It was a big step up and I had a 5 month old and a 3 year old at the outset and I recall being knackered all the time.

In 2016 I was training to the run less run faster model and did 3.08 off an average of roughly 27 miles a week. I then sort of progressed to more conventional mara training. My rolling 12 month average right now is 41 miles a week. That then factors in holiday, tapers, recoveries etc.

In the 13 weeks over July, August and September before Yorkshire October mara my average weekly mileage was 49, with a peak at 63. I think it was largely similar in the 13 weeks before London last April.

Very easy few days since Tuesdays mini session and a sports massage Wednesday night. Rest day today and then a short shake out with strides tomorrow. Wind forecast is still looking troublesome sunday morning.

• Thanks for the detail PMJ, much appreciated, interesting seeing the less is more approach too DT, I worked out I have averaged 40 miles a week in the 13 weeks up to taper in recent years. I still think I will try to bump this up a bit but not too much.. I guess its about taking on the advice and adapting it to how you feel and trusting your instinct to some extent, certainly once you have a few years under your belt... I've never had any sort of injury or problem since I started... touch wood..
  • Badbark - nice one! Great to see all is well and normal service has been resumed. Enjoy your holiday.
    PMJ - nice graph. I'm still well and truly on the gradual upward climb bit and got a good few years to go before it rises steeply.
    nicko - good racing there and a nice confidence boost.
    mike - plenty of people here doing similar sort of mileage to you, so no need to increase exponentially like that graph! My last campaign was 18 weeks and discounting weeks where I was tapering or took a few days off while away, my average weekly mileage was 67. Just read your latest post and pleased you are not going to bump it up too much.
    Jools - that's great; onwards and upwards.
    PMJ - nice stats :) How are you doing at the moment?
    DT - really hoping that forecast is going to improve; unbelievable.
    20 miles today - average pace of 7:16/m. Brings up 75 for the week and I'll probably stick there. Tomorrow is shed-day. Been really busy the last few weekends, but finally have a free day. Could be a long one!
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Long time lurker on this thread,I've been a regular on Shades's thread so thought I'd join in here also.Came from,literally no exercise for 20 years,and a fat 42 yr old in 2015 for a charity 10k in 57 mins,which I remember being absolutely delighted with,ran my first full in 16(Manchester 4:24) and my latest was Gran Canaria in 3:11,having gone from 16.5st down to 13 now.
    GFA time for me now is 3:10 so that is my main goal,also got into New York this year based on my Half time so I am really excited about,but will be treating it as a fun run as I am doing Frankfurt the week before.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Forgot to add,I've had Achilles tendinitis all of 2018,but strangely I think it's really helped me,as I've learnt how to run and manage it and as it's speed work that aggravates it,it has meant I've done nearly all my runs at an easy pace so my aerobic base has massively improved.I tend to do 1 hard hilly loop every other week but other than that all at an easy pace.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Hi Ian, that's a great story. Put's to shame all those people on the London mara facebook page who whinge year on year when they cant get in but refuse to take matters into their own hands and work hard for a GFA.

Frankfurt sounds interesting. I really want to run a European mara in the Autumn and I want something late on due to a longer and later than usual summer holiday, being one where I probably wont get to run during either. Do you know much about the course?

Gul, that's a big 20. Essentially mp based on your pb? I notice that suddently on my social media adverts for a new Peterborough mara in April. I would assume that would be pretty flat.

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    DT-I know a couple who did it last year and it was highly recommended,pretty flat and very fast was their description,so hoping if I can get under 3:10 at Manchester then I can have a solid 6 months and see what I can get there.
  • Ian - welcome to the thread - that's a great improvement on your mara time already and brilliant that you've got into New York. I think Frankfurt will be faster, so that's definitely the right one to target. Sounds like you are a bit of a globetrotter!
    DT - yes, about MP - 20s. Still not sure why I find it much easier to maintain that sort of pace in training. Peterborough sounds like one to keep an eye on. Looks like they are keeping it pretty low key this year to check out any issues which might crop up. Boston however is flatter and cheaper, so hopefully I've gone for the right one!
  • Ian - welcome; there's a couple of us on this thread also doing Manchester this year. If you get a sub 3:10 at Manchester than have 6 months more to train you should be able to make some good improvements.

From a fellow ex-fat person with no exercise; I feel your pain with the Achilles issues but great to hear you are able to manage it; it's a constant struggle!

Will post the race calendar so our new joiners can add their dates.
  • 13th January- Brass Monkey Half
    DT- Sub 83/PB

27th January - Farnborough Half
    Nicko1981 - MP Run (<1:30) 

3rd February - Watford Half
    SBD - MP Run (1:30)

17th February Seville Marathon
    OO54 (first to the oranges)
    DT-Village bakery Half- (Sub 83)

24th February Thorpe and Egham Half
    Nicko1981 (< 1:25)

10th March Surrey Half
    G-Dawg (sub 1.25)
    Vitality London Big Half
    Nicko1981 - Just get a medal and do more miles.

17th March Bath Half Marathon
    Nicko1981 MP Run (<1:30, + 8 slow)

17th March Fleet Half Marathon
    Lorenzo (1:28)

24th March Ashby 20
    DT (Session of some sort)

30th March - World Masters Half
    Speedy Goth

7th April Manchester Marathon
    StevieWh (2:45)
    Nicko1981 (2:59
    Poacher (finish)
    DT -Centurion 5 (sub 31)

14th April Boston UK Marathon
    Gul Darr (Sub 3:15)

15th April - Boston Marathon (the hilly one)
    SBD (2:59)
    Lorenzo (3:10)

28th April London Marathon
    OO54 (Sub 2, win, beat Mo Farah)
    G-Dawg (3.05)
    DT (Sub 3)
    Speedy Goth (2.59.59)
    Poacher (finish)

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Welcome Ian. I do love stories like yours, really amazing and a fantastic achievement. Stick around and no doubt you can improve further.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    13th January- Brass Monkey Half
    DT- Sub 83/PB

27th January - Farnborough Half
    Nicko1981 - MP Run (<1:30) 

3rd February - Watford Half

17th February Seville Marathon
    OO54 (first to the oranges)
    DT-Village bakery Half- (Sub 83)

Ian-Willage Bakery Half-(Sub 87)

24th February Thorpe and Egham Half
    Nicko1981 (< 1:25)

10th March Surrey Half
    G-Dawg (sub 1.25)
    Vitality London Big Half
    Nicko1981 - Just get a medal and do more miles.

17th March Bath Half Marathon
    Nicko1981 MP Run (<1:30, + 8 slow)

17th March Fleet Half Marathon
    Lorenzo (1:28)

24th March Ashby 20
    DT (Session of some sort)

30th March - World Masters Half
    Speedy Goth

7th April Manchester Marathon
    StevieWh (2:45)
    Nicko1981 (2:59)
    Poacher (finish)

Ian (3:09)

DT -Centurion 5 (sub 31)

14th April Boston UK Marathon
    Gul Darr (Sub 3:15)

15th April - Boston Marathon (the hilly one)
    SBD (2:59)
    Lorenzo (3:10)

28th April London Marathon
    OO54 (Sub 2, win, beat Mo Farah)
    G-Dawg (3.05)
    DT (Sub 3)
    Speedy Goth (2.59.59)
    Poacher (finish)

• I don't want to mess up the list, but I'm also doing Ashby 20, and also as a session. It's the day after the Midlands Road Relays so won't be anything too daft!

Welcome Ian. When I ran my first sub 3.15 (3.14.59!!!) I was on 40 - 60 miles per week IIRC. I'm up to 60 to 90 now, but this is 8 years later. 60 this week feels a bit like a cheat. Only 8 easy miles on a Friday night instead of a long MP or HMP run? Weird. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    ooh, Ian, 1 day in and we have a thread smackdown sunday morning!!

Speedy, yes Ashby is a pain in the arse in that respect. Im planning on skipping relays. 
  • Gul Darr said:
    PMJ - nice stats :) How are you doing at the moment?

20 miles today - average pace of 7:16/m. Brings up 75 for the week and I'll probably stick there. Tomorrow is shed-day. Been really busy the last few weekends, but finally have a free day. Could be a long one!
    Gul, not doing too badly. Just managed 13 weeks in a row at about 40 miles a week so a solid block. Gave blood on Thursday so a few easy days and then off to the Lake District to see friends and family over half term so that will be a couple of cut-back weeks and then we are into March and I'm planning on adding a track session each week to get some speed back into the old legs.

20 miles at 7:15 is a massive training run (2:25 for 20 miles leaves 50 minutes for 6.2 which is 8 m/m). In 2012 I did 2:50.xx and my 20 milers were about 7:2x pace.
  • Speedy - might see you at the road relays; if the club need a C team I'll likely go.

Great 20 Gul, serious pace. Off for 20 with a mate and doubt I'll break 8:00 avg. If we feel good might go MP for the end section but still won't be close to your average. Kudos to you.

Picked up my converted van yesterday so looking forward to some weekenders for interesting trail runs etc. It looks amazing, the guys did such a good job.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I think I did Ashby in 2008 in 2:16:xx but failed to go sub 3 that year. Lovely race as far as I remember. 
    I had an easy leg loosener with my wife this morning since there are no parkruns in Spain. After 4 days rest all felt good. I decided I’ll run on feel tomorrow somewhere around 3:15 pace hopefully closer to 3:10 but let’s see.

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    I do my long runs around 8.20-8.40 pace,so well done to the guys going much faster.
    DT-Barely a smackdown unless you give me a 5 min head start  ;)
    Nice easy 6 miles after work yesterday finishes my training for Sunday,hoping for a pb,just hope it's not too windy.
  • Good luck to DT, Ian & OO tomorrow. Leave it all out there and I look forward to the reports!

Nicko & Speedy ill be at the road relays so might see you there, will be my first outing for the club!
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

How's the conditions looking for Sunday OO?  Hope you have good one.

Conditions looking pretty good for the Bakery Half as well - hope the training translates to a good time DT.

Welcome Ian.  That's an impressive improvement history.  What's your HM PB?

That's a really fast 20 miler Gul - was that run even paced or progressively?  Sub 3:15 should be a breeze!

Welcome Mike - lots of room for improvement but there is no need to go increase the mileage too quickly.  Consistency is the key.

11 miles mid afternoon yesterday and conditions felt very spring like!  Have been struggling with the pace in recent weeks but I've put this down to the training volume and the persistent niggles.  So it was nice to see the legs feeling a bit bouncier towards the end of a cut-back week.  Just a steady run, so 7:29 average pace, but last week, for the same effort that would have been closer to 7:50.

Have been listening to the lastest McMillan Boston Training webinar which, this week, emphasised the need to do regular tempo pace runs on downhill terrain.  Need to find a suitable route with a reasonable stretch of downhill, but yesterday's route has the final three kilometres on a gentle downhill.  As I was feeling good, I took the opportunity to push the pace up over this stretch, recording 4:14, 4:03 and 4:04 - unusually fast for me!

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Ian, if i have a bad day and go 10-15 seconds a mile slower than plan and you go better than expected it then is smackdown territory. Wind is sat at 15mph which isnt ideal but not ruinous. 

Good luck, OO. 

Nice going, SBD. Though your switch to km paces briefly threw me and i read it as mile pace!
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    SBD-Current PB is 1:27:43,set in the autumn,it was a pretty windy day and along the front so I'm hoping to be able to beat it if there's not much wind.
  • Yes Stevie, a good pre-Manchester Meetup. I'll definitely opt for a shorter leg I think!

Good luck in Spain OO, looks lovely there. I'm sure you'll put in a strong performance if your training stats are anything to go by.

SBD - Hal Higdon has some Boston specific training plans on his website, talks about the downhill bits and training for them a fair bit. Have you gone all euro on us with your splits though?

20 today, nice and social with a mate, few hills and mud with 3 near the end at a faster pace (7ish). 8:20 average overall with a nice low heart rate of 140 for once. Beautiful day out there.
  • Nicko im hoping for a long leg! I'm definitely better over further
  • I'm down for a short leg. Coach's orders. I'm also better at longer stuff, but actually the dogleg out and back at Sutton Park is slit-your-wrists awful, especially if it's windy, so I'm fine with that!
  • All the best to OODT and Ian today.
    Nice running from SBD and nicko too.
    Friday's 20 miler was made up of 3 progressive warm-up miles (8:24 to 7:27) and the rest were mostly faster, but not particularly consistent pace-wise.
    The shed is almost finished. Good job the forecast is for dry weather as the felt still needs to go on. 5 recovery miles this morning, so 80 for the week,
  • 18 miles @ 8.12m/m to bring up 60 miles for the week.  That's almost proper marathon mileage and proper long run stuff!